Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
eficoupe

Default AU ute manual pedal box replacement

Hi there,

I just read the thread on here about a bent manual ute pedal box. I have the same problem with mine - where the clutch pedal pivot just pulls away at the spot welding.

Replacement pedal box from ford was quoted at $137 which I was quite happy with so my next question was "how much for you just to do it?". $700 and the dash out!

My question is - has anyone done this? I am not real keen to do it if it is a dash out job, but if not then I'm happy. So is it a dash out job? I didn't think it looked like when I was under there.

Can someone set me straight on this so I can sort my ute out!

Cheers.

eficoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im quite sure its not a dash out job, could be mistaken though

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definately not a dash out job on the Au's unlike earlier models (E series), I have done this on my own car when doing the manual conversion i put the pedal box in myself. Took a bit of fiddling as there is not bucket loads of space to work with but you should be able to do it in about an hour comfortable if you have some idea on how to pull things apart.

Pretty much you need to disconect the brake light switch, cruise control switch (if it has cruise) and then i took the clutch pedal of the the side. Once this is done then you can undo the 2? nuts holding the box to the underside of the steering column, then the 4? holding it to the firewall/brake booster. Now you should be able to manouver it out. If you can't you can remove the shaft that the brake pedal operates off aswell if need be.

Hope this helps, Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
eficoupe

Thanks for the info guys. A great help. Between this and the fix for that annoying leak on my foot - guess what I'll be doing this weekend...

Cheers!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Mine was done in the last 2 weeks and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a dash out thing.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
XR Davo

Have had mine done and you don't need to pull the dash out. Also my mechanic reckoned it was better to weld up original pedal box than put in a new one as it would break again over time. Replaced clutch cable at the same time. Clutch is sweet now and has transformed the driving experience totally. Think I spent around $400 on parts + labour. But I'm happy.
XR Davo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Fuzzlet
Starter Motor

Curious as to whether my car is doing a similar thing (I should have a look under the dash with a torch)

My clutch pedal has bent around to the left a bit, and is no longer engaging the switch for it. I'm getting the clutch replaced tomorrow as its starting to slip, so I'm curious as to whether my pedal box may need replacing aswel...
Old 09-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
WannabeXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Davo
Have had mine done and you don't need to pull the dash out. Also my mechanic reckoned it was better to weld up original pedal box than put in a new one as it would break again over time. Replaced clutch cable at the same time. Clutch is sweet now and has transformed the driving experience totally. Think I spent around $400 on parts + labour. But I'm happy.
Hey Davo,
Wondering if your clutch cable felt like the wire was burring inside the outer, My clutch is pretty solid to push in, with slight resistance(a bit notchy) which i believe is the cable.
What were your results with changing the clutch cable?
Cheers, Jason
05/2000 AUII XR6 5sp|Pacemaker 4480 Competition Headers|Lukey catback|Tickford Azzuro's|Impco LPG Conversion
WannabeXP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
eficoupe

My pedal was leaning to the passenger side which is what made me look in the first place. Also started making a weird squeaking kind of nice due to the cable not pulling straight like it should. Seems to be extremely common for these cars.

I think I will weld some reinforcement into the new one before I use it.

When looking under there it is quite obvious how it all splits off so some good tacks with the MIG on a new one should be heaps. I'd never trust the old one again after the metal has been fatigued like that.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Drop the collum and that will make it very easy to get the box out.

As for the cable, I'm of the belief that it is a consumable part, replaced once the clutch peal starts to get hard.
I thinks it's to do with the grease drying up inside.
Replacing it makes the clutch a lot lighter. I think I’m up to my 4th or 5th cable in 2 years.

Also, once you reinforce the pedal box, keep a good eye on the firewall. My fire wall crack/split about 3 months after doing the pedal box.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
XR Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeXP
Hey Davo,
Wondering if your clutch cable felt like the wire was burring inside the outer, My clutch is pretty solid to push in, with slight resistance(a bit notchy) which i believe is the cable.
What were your results with changing the clutch cable?
Cheers, Jason
Yeah you can try changing the cable as an initial cheap option. My cable used to feel like it was binding up and quite stiff especially when warm. You may have a cracked fire wall, (mine did) so have a look while you're at it... and because of this the pedal box could need sorting as well. Worth doing all 3 at the same time I reckon.
XR Davo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
xp_wannabe

Default Re: AU ute manual pedal box replacement

G'day guys, I know this is a bit of a thread mine, but I thought it would be better than starting a new one...

Does anyone have any good pics or links to other threads on reinforcing the pedal box so it doesnt bend again?

Also, the best price I can seem to find for a new on from Ford is around $250... Anyone got any contacts for a better price?
xp_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post