Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #61
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i've heard it in bike enthusiast circles they exclude others based on what they ride. i had a friend convey a story that the BMW bikers didn't want him to park his jap bike near their group (like it matters). i'd imagine it's the same 'elitism' that takes over some car groups.
Yep my mates an i all have 600+ cc jappa sports bikes and everytime we pull up at a pub the Harley and Motoguzzi riders seem to be the worst. We had warned a group of Harley riders of a cop lurking down the road when they were leaving as we arrived, they didn't thank us, barely achknowledged us, most likely gutted their shtheaps would struggle to break the speed limit.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #62
pulpist
nope!

I just rock up and talk their legs off, sorta like Gomer Pyle.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #63
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Yep my mates an i all have 600+ cc jappa sports bikes and everytime we pull up at a pub the Harley and Motoguzzi riders seem to be the worst. We had warned a group of Harley riders of a cop lurking down the road when they were leaving as we arrived, they didn't thank us, barely achknowledged us, most likely gutted their shtheaps would struggle to break the speed limit.
I'm on a bike forum, so not really a club, but the members come from all walks, many different bikes, and it's all very civil and friendly. No-one cares what you ride, as long as you turn up, have a good time, do the right thing and ride safe. A lot people there willing to help and lend a hand to fellow members. Smaller community of course.

I find bikes and cars different. Riders are more relaxed, where cars, there seems to be plenty of elitism amongst those with cars from certain makes, models and years. I guess money can seperate people and attitudes go with it. All part of the game I guess.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #64
.bazz.
MFP s/c 290BOSS GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
That's one of the things we keep out of our club is bullsh!t politics and power struggles. That's why membership is only granted if they have friends or family already in the club. We are proberly more of a social club then a car club, as we are very family orientated. And we don't car what they drive as long as they have fun.

2yrs ago i tryed going to one of your coupe cruises , i showed up to your meeting place in my XBGT coupe.

was good looking at your members cars as they arrived but i thought i must of had a "disease" sign on top of my head.
your family club did not seem welcoming to new people

as you guys drove off to the next destination, i drove the other way back home.

2007 BF MK2 XR6 TURBO UTE-winter white, y/t airbox, 60" injectors, herrod fuel pump, pwr intercooler, hot side pipe kit,CES exhaust.432rwhp 13psi http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11329995

2006 BF MK1 FPV GT-silhouette, 6sp manual, 4/4 brembo's, whipple 2.9L, custom MFP supercharger kit, hurricane exhaust, 3:73 ratio, eaton tru-trac

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #65
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in my mid 40's & now own a FGF6. Most recent prior drives were an XP Futura coupe ( Windsor Pwrd) 13yrs & a 71 Capri GTV6 6yrs. Am not overly pleased at parking in plastics at shows when arriving in my F6 but it is partial plastic. Still way more a classic than some of the old metal on parade but hey.
Modern classics have their place too.
Fools used to dis the Mighty E49.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #66
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are all snobs to varying degrees .. we all avoid/ignore certain types of cars and owners at shows, cruise events, service stations, etc, etc ..
Personally I'm not too fussed about what other people drive. They just lose me when they:
* Come over telling me how much better their car (or their friends car) is than mine
* Telling me what's wrong with my car
* Telling me they don't like my car
* Telling me all the (incorrect) technical details about my car (eg. All AMCs had Ford engines didn't you know?)
* Telling me about vague acquaintances who used to own a car like mine .. which during the unfolding of the long-winded story, was not like mine at all.

Generally when I do go to any event in my AMC Javelins, to minimise everyone being upset I just park and wander off. I don't stay with my car, I just go look at others cars and occasionally have a quick chat if the owners, etc seem to want a chat.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #67
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by .bazz.
2yrs ago i tryed going to one of your coupe cruises , i showed up to your meeting place in my XBGT coupe.

was good looking at your members cars as they arrived but i thought i must of had a "disease" sign on top of my head.
your family club did not seem welcoming to new people

as you guys drove off to the next destination, i drove the other way back home.
I think you would have turned up to a coupe cruise which are only sponsered by us, so people on club rego can attented. But I do know what you mean with the coupe cruises, my missus dosen't like coming on them for that paticular reason. But with them cruises no-one really knows each other and you just talk to anyone that's willing. Nothing like what our club is like, as we are are mixed brand club. And when we are out and about, we have all kinds of people coming to chat with us. We always have good feed back to every event or place of bussiness we have attended and are allways welcomed back.

But mate sorry if that's how you felt with the coupe cruise, I also own a XBGT Coupe and I find most of the time on a coupe cruise, I have to make conversation with the other coupe owners. So I don't know weather they think I might have some of the GT club attitude and don't want to talk first in case they are frowned appond or because I'm a fair lump of a lad and might look unapproachable. But if you ever decide to come again just come over and chat to me because I be more than happy to chat. Mines the yellow and black horn car.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #68
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you would have turned up to a coupe cruise which are only sponsered by us, so people on club rego can attented. But I do know what you mean with the coupe cruises, my missus dosen't like coming on them for that paticular reason. But with them cruises no-one really knows each other and you just talk to anyone that's willing.
Yep .. most people are quite shy and don't talk to strangers (blame their parents). I've found at our VJMC (Vintage Jap bikes) meetings that only a few of the club officials will talk to strangers, most the other club members just look at newcomers and keep talking in their little groups.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #69
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Clubs have their little groups too, way back when i had a Val Charger to be accepted in the club you needed to own an R/T, in the Mazda rotary club you needed an RX3 coupe and in the XR6 & XR8 club you needed the lates model or a G(lorified) T(axi) to be "in with the in crowd" not ''An old XR8 Sprint". The clubs i'm now (Rum City Rods &Customs and East Coast Chrysler Cruisers) with my Mopar are easy going thankfully,
as for the Rice boys, they're a law and breed unto themselves! LOL
Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #70
dusty86

haha funny how a lot of people are whinging and bitching about people being snobs etc.. when you are being pretty hypocritical about it when it comes to jap cars.
To the guy who wore a holden jacket, most of them probably thought you were yet another dumb ***. You have no idea the amount of people who are into aussie built cars and straight away start asking stupid questions about my car. Bit racist throwing in what nationality they are isn't it?
I love anything that has had effort put into it by someone who is passionate about it. regardless of whether that is an old school new school or in between
Old 11-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #71
tinted

Default Snobs

Guys, great thread and spot on opinions. I've had it all. Been criticised for doing nothing, doing lots, been called all sorts of names behind my back (probably deserved a few). Still own two nice cars, belong to one club. Very 'over' the club scene. Now it's just turn up. Who cares as long as we all stick together when the pollies and greenies come knockin'!! United we stand dudes!

R
Old 11-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #72
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

I think you will find varying degree's of interest, neutral and dare I say jealousy and hate.

Its the case for every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction. I find that sometimes passion works both ways. You get people who are so deep into their cars that all other car types, models (TSeries v BA Boss v Turbo comes to mind) are perceived to be inferior and they take it personally. I find varying which is the spice of life, I've LS1 guys who give me the thumbs up, I've had Ford guys not care and everything in between.

Having said that I would say we all wear our pride hat and display some snobbery. For instance, a guy in a late model Toyota Corolla with custom wheels, big stereo, body kit and stickers will not get me to walk up to him and say nice car. In truth he could be just a car nut and enthusiast as I am.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #73
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
I'm a GT owner and I know exactly what you mean, that's why I would never join a GT club.
same here, and I own one too
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 12-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #74
Tough Ford

Pretty sad that bazz and XBROO when enthusiasts get together and share a common intrest dont make an effort to include a newbie. Why run the club at all. People who turn up are obviously intrested in joining, the more members the greater the exposure. Id love to join a car enthusiasts club when I finally get my beast on the road, but if I get snobbed, no biggie. Ive got mates.

Cleveland goodness wrapped in a FORD shell
Old 12-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #75
.bazz.
MFP s/c 290BOSS GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Ford
Pretty sad that bazz and XBROO when enthusiasts get together and share a common intrest dont make an effort to include a newbie. Why run the club at all. People who turn up are obviously intrested in joining, the more members the greater the exposure. Id love to join a car enthusiasts club when I finally get my beast on the road, but if I get snobbed, no biggie. Ive got mates.
iam not sure if your having a go at me....
but my post was about me being a newbie trying to fit in with a coupe cruise

2007 BF MK2 XR6 TURBO UTE-winter white, y/t airbox, 60" injectors, herrod fuel pump, pwr intercooler, hot side pipe kit,CES exhaust.432rwhp 13psi http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11329995

2006 BF MK1 FPV GT-silhouette, 6sp manual, 4/4 brembo's, whipple 2.9L, custom MFP supercharger kit, hurricane exhaust, 3:73 ratio, eaton tru-trac

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #76
Tough Ford

Not having a go at all, just saying damn there are some arrogant people around. I hope I dont run into the same type that you have. Just trying to enjoy my ride. Would be awesome to go cruising with fellow car enthusiasts.

Cleveland goodness wrapped in a FORD shell

Last edited by Tough Ford; 12-03-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 13-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #77
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my opinion SMASA would have to be one of these clubs that give you this feeling, If I rocked up im my E series most of the members look down at you and wont talk to you.

And they wonder why they have fewer members these days....
Old 13-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #78
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i get snobbed cos i changed ef-bf.. lol
Old 14-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #79
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

I have only ever been in 2 clubs. One was the Mid North Coast Ford Owners Club which has a section on these forums while I was living in Wauchope. In the short time I was in the club I found it to be fun and have really nice people there. Was good chatting to everyone and some very drool worthy cars on the cruise. On the way home from the cruise I got picked up for speeding and being on my P's lost my license so I ended up moving back home to Merriwa. I got the XE and figured I would rejoin a car club i was in a few years earlier and thats the Rylstone Kandos Street Machine Club. The club is really good and I love it. Everyone is friendly to talk to and the club has a nice variety of cars. I have become really good mates with everyone there and help out where ever possible. Me and some mates spent ages organising and setting up the grounds and ran the Kandos street machine & hot rod show in January. The club had previously had a few members who werent so friendly and gained a bad reputation for a little while but now we have a heap of fresh faces and a whole new comittee and this year was the start of bigger and better things. As it is we are now also going to run a 1 day burnout comp in July :-).

Anyway I can see where people are coming from about certain groups and people being snobs and looking down at you but its not hard to move on and find another group who will acknowledge you and your car.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Old 14-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #80
WOTracing

Default cruise snobs.

Well said Tankclare,My brother and I [both forum members] where part of the Rylstone Kandos Streetmachine Club when it started, and the aim was to be a freindly club for anybody with interest in modified vehicles.Sad that some clubs lose sight of the fact that new members bring new ideas and stop the club going stale and dieing off. If we find a club that suits us and support it every body should be happy, snobs as well .
This user likes this post:
Old 14-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #81
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda
Clubs have their little groups too, way back when i had a Val Charger to be accepted in the club you needed to own an R/T, in the Mazda rotary club you needed an RX3 coupe and in the XR6 & XR8 club you needed the lates model or a G(lorified) T(axi) to be "in with the in crowd" not ''An old XR8 Sprint". The clubs i'm now (Rum City Rods &Customs and East Coast Chrysler Cruisers) with my Mopar are easy going thankfully,
as for the Rice boys, they're a law and breed unto themselves! LOL

reminds me of story that a friend of mine told me.

This was in the 70's & they had a Lotus cortina & went to a Lotus Club meet. They told him to park his car in the carpark because it was not a true lotus.

Funny thing is the cortina was assembled in the lotus factory, but some of the later cars that were there like the elan were made by lotus as a kit but assembled by some other company in asia to save on taxes. Also the cortina is probably worth more than the average elan these days.

Ive never come across sutch open snobbery myself but you will always get a few idiots where ever you go.

Isnt it lucky we dont all like the same cars or cars shows would be pretty boring
Old 14-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #82
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTracing
Well said Tankclare,My brother and I [both forum members] where part of the Rylstone Kandos Streetmachine Club when it started, and the aim was to be a freindly club for anybody with interest in modified vehicles.Sad that some clubs lose sight of the fact that new members bring new ideas and stop the club going stale and dieing off. If we find a club that suits us and support it every body should be happy, snobs as well .
Thanks, Can I ask who you are? I have been with the club for a while now and was in it a few years ago. My uncle and some of his mates were also around when the club began. Its still going strong :-)

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Old 15-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #83
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was dragged along to a few meet and greets in the early stages of a few clubs, and while the reason we were all getting together were our interest in cars it was obvious from the get go, that these guys were a tight and exclusive group of friends first rather than initially a group of people interested in cars.

As much as these guys were trying to build a club, they were primarily that same group of exclusive friends. They drove similar cars, hung out continually and when in a social environment with extended members of the club and other clubs remained highly exclusive and competitive with other groups.

They had established, some what codes of conduct or requirements, more so opinions and ideas they felt best represented themselves.. and in turn didn't feel they needed to assimilate or branch out to different groups despite trying to increase their numbers.

At the end of the day, when people start putting " labels " on things and start trying to establish hierarchy within groups, thats were the fun ends. Full stop. Especially when all you're trying to achieve is building a social environment.
Old 15-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #84
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
In my opinion SMASA would have to be one of these clubs that give you this feeling, If I rocked up im my E series most of the members look down at you and wont talk to you.

And they wonder why they have fewer members these days....
SMASA is an association, not a club. there was a big range of cars (from different clubs as well as individuals) out on the cruise last saturday night. AS well as the regular muscle and classics, there was a late model roofless Lamborghini, LHD Opel version of the 70's gemini hatch, and a lifted, camouflaged swb patrol..

Plenty of E series there too..
Old 15-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #85
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Default Re: Cruise Snobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
SMASA is an association, not a club. there was a big range of cars (from different clubs as well as individuals) out on the cruise last saturday night. AS well as the regular muscle and classics, there was a late model roofless Lamborghini, LHD Opel version of the 70's gemini hatch, and a lifted, camouflaged swb patrol..

Plenty of E series there too..
Would have to agree there. Didn't seem much snobbyness from my vantage point, people seemed to like the Volkswagen type 3 there too, despite the mustard paint, and the patrol got nothing but stares! Not to mention the variation of cars there. People mixed freely, whether they owned hard core muscle, new age muscle, or more alternative cars...I had a good time that night actually.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 17-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #86
WOTracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankclare
Thanks, Can I ask who you are? I have been with the club for a while now and was in it a few years ago. My uncle and some of his mates were also around when the club began. Its still going strong :-)
My name is Max Yates , Dave and I got the club going and the first meetings were held at my Rylstone house.I ran my red F100 in most of the driving events.Thirteen years ago my wife and son and I moved up here from Mudgee,away from winter,owned Mudgee Auto Wreckers for 8 years.
Old 18-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #87
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Oh yeah cool. My uncle is Nygel Gould and Dianne is my mum, she said to say hello. Small world lol. But yes the club is still going strong after all these years so must be doing something right.

Away from winter made me laugh lol

Old 18-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #88
jlef5

I will talk to anyone that comes up to my car except if I'm late and won't let me get away. I will also look and try to talk to anyone that has an older car no matter the make or model. Although I do only have a handful of cars I love I'l look at anything old even rust buckets still driven on the road, i dont like jap cars, or xommodores. if soneone in one wants to talk to me no worries. Il get snob when I wave to people in my patrol ute, same people in my Eh will wave. I know my car isn't going to be liked by everyone I don't care some people here probably don't like it as it's got too many letters in the name, big whoop. What I don't like and can't stand is people who show no respect to it.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #89
DMN8RX

Smile Re: Cruise Snobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Look I have a few classic cars and I'll always talk to anyone if I have the time. But (I might get flamed for this) I'm not really interested in new cars I have a BA XR6 and yes it's a nice car to drive. But it the shopping trolley and the family get around car. I do like the look of some of the new cars but you can see them anywhere like any carpark or out side schools waiting to pick up there kids. And I know that they are faster and out handle any of the old cars I got in the shed but they just don't do it for me. Maybe in another 20 odd years they might. But I would never be rude to anybody that has a passion for their car, because when I was young my hardtop was pretty common and I still loved it. And I still love it now.

To the fella that saw the coupe that gave hime a dirty look, he proberly was wondering what you were waving at. Look sometime I get flashed at or waved at and my first reaction is to brake as I think there must be cops or something a head. Or sometimes I'm just in my own little world cruising along listing to some old rock songs and someone will wave, and by the time I realize what they are waving at it's to late.
yep, agree with Roo there...

my daily is a black, on its guts BA II Fairmont, mags, dark tint, all the luxy bits and tweaked so she goes...beautiful to drive, so comfortable, solid and reliable...shes TOO predictable...take off the traction control and its still an effort to lose her **** even in the rain...

the coupe on the other hand is sex on wheels...so beautiful, such a handful at speed coz her steerings too light, totally moody and unreliable, torquey as hell, multiple massive blind spots, wont stop in a hurry, add rain and she'll turn into a drifter on a straight road...but stand on her and she lights em up effortlessly...

ive got nothing against new cars, but like Roo said, i see them everywhere...ford girl to the core but an old EH will get my attention, a new GT won't...old cars v. new cars is apples and oranges...just some of you have never owned both to understand the difference in the passion...
Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #90
DMN8RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny View Post
This pretty well summs up me aswell. I will happily talk to anyone on an equal footing about the cars, irrespective of what they own.
But when I go out for a cruise or a car show, I look/pay attention to only the stuff that Im interested in and walk past the rest..

Thats why I dont go out to any of the organised events around here, most people are in modern cars, with 1 or 2 older ones at the most. I see modern cars every day Im on the road...

Iv cruised the spit plenty of times in my XYGT. I dont stop to chat to anyone an if I do stop for a stretch of the legs, I park no where near all the ricer stuff that frequents the place. Iv had plenty of them take pics of the car as I drove by. I stop for them if I can so they can get the shot etc.. If they wave to me or compliment the car, I always acknoledge that too.
I have no interest in ricer cars at all, but if any of their owners walked over to chat to me or look the car over, then Id always chat back, no worries.. But Id not walk over there an look at their stuff as its not my thing..

I mainly only attend events where a lot of older GT's will turn up.. Thats the cars I like to look at, and I know a lot of the cars owners and its good to catch up and chat with them, and for me first, its more about the catching up with like minded owners I know and the older cars then come second..
hey Donny, where are you??..im at Mudgeeraba and looking to have a meet of old Fords on the g/coast in the near future...your not the guy with the wicked XY that pulled up next to me in my pink hardtop a few months back are you??

cheers, pami
Closed Thread