Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #121
IanC

Default Re: No More Commodore or Astra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Usual deal they probably outsourcing the programming to some Indian bloke for $3/hour whose never driven a car before but is handy with a keyboard.

I'm currently caught up between three separate IT companies who are collaborating on a project, I'm helping as they need my perspective and you can imagine how well this is going with so many fingers in the pie with no experience on how the process works.

Usual accountants doing their trick - save on wages but pay exponentially more on the project.

You think hiring professionals is expensive, wait until you hire amateurs.
I think that was what Boeing did with the software for their new 737. That didn't go well.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #122
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe the last straw was when Opel was sold to PSA.

Holden really needed a med/large RWD car to fill the bill, but the FWD/AWD Insignia was the best they had available in RHD.

Once the PSA deal was done, they had no say in product development, no chance of a 2nd/better upgrade model or any bargaining power $$wise.

From there it was all downhill.

What they need is a "unique" product. Something like a V8 petrol dual cab or another RWD car in the future.

What they might do is revert to the dealers becoming "GM Dealers" where they could sell Chevs, Cadillacs, Corvettes or whatever.

One of the most difficult things to do selling cars in Aust. is setting up a good dealer network. Look what Holden have available to them.

Dr Terry.
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2019, 10:36 PM   #123
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
I believe the last straw was when Opel was sold to PSA.

Holden really needed a med/large RWD car to fill the bill, but the FWD/AWD Insignia was the best they had available in RHD.

Once the PSA deal was done, they had no say in product development, no chance of a 2nd/better upgrade model or any bargaining power $$wise.

From there it was all downhill.

What they need is a "unique" product. Something like a V8 petrol dual cab or another RWD car in the future.

What they might do is revert to the dealers becoming "GM Dealers" where they could sell Chevs, Cadillacs, Corvettes or whatever.

One of the most difficult things to do selling cars in Aust. is setting up a good dealer network. Look what Holden have available to them.

Dr Terry.
I agree with you Doc, they do have a large capable network, but those products you suggest such as Chevs, Cadillacs Corvettes etc, are just not in the pipeline. They would be signalling those products right now if that was there intent. They are essentially saying nothing about future products and that is very telling. There are none. Its show over.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #124
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Justification for making any of those models in RHD is virtually zero. GM only has a couple of RHD markets to sell too, and they will never sell in high volumes.

Makes me wonder why they are bothering to do a RHD Corvette that will only sell in tiny numbers. Only thing I can think of is being rear engined makes it easy a pie to switch the steering wheel from one side to the other, with no engine getting in the way of steering, brake booster etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #125
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Justification for making any of those models in RHD is virtually zero. GM only has a couple of RHD markets to sell too, and they will never sell in high volumes.

Makes me wonder why they are bothering to do a RHD Corvette that will only sell in tiny numbers. Only thing I can think of is being rear engined makes it easy a pie to switch the steering wheel from one side to the other, with no engine getting in the way of steering, brake booster etc.
You'd think so but I'm sure that American engineers will find a way to stuff that up....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #126
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About two years late but thank ****. Unless they were hoping to pull off a fluke by slapping a Commodore badge on or just working with what they have and trying to flog it, you'd have to wonder what the thought process was otherwise.

The buyers who love Commodores cars were never likely to buy one (especially without a V8 option) and for the others the Commodore badge would be enough to turn them off or they were just not in for a large car.

I thought this was a good read which I stumbled across after this news as it talks a bit about the management and relationship with GM rather than all the usual that was a factor with the demise of the auto industry as a whole.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...actory-closure
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #127
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

....Ghost company now...Just a fading spirit hanging on to memories of a former life..

How does this affect the Supercars future over time or can they effectively race a car facsimile that is no longer built for years like ford did with Falcon for 2017 and 2018 before the Mustang shape was adopted ...I have no idea..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #128
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

The way Ford and Holden/GM are going they will both be finished by 2030. Toyota and Hyundai are slowly pushing them out. First they targeted there passenger cars and next will be there big utes and SUVs. Look at the Tundra and Titan. Biggest mistake ever to stop selling passenger cars and focus on one class.
Old 13-12-2019, 11:36 PM   #129
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford at least have good cars. Why they are not selling is another thing entirely.

Holden switched to cheap crap Korean sourcing and that was part of the problem. I could see myself in a Ford other than a Falcon, I would not buy anything Holden are offering now.

The funny thing is GM didn't want to do RHD and now we're pay huge amounts to convert various models which are enjoying at least at the moment good success.

In the article I mentioned before it was pointed out how Holden were able to do LHD conversions for export but GM never were able or keen to do the same for RHD. You would think it would be a lot easier for them.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2019, 02:31 AM   #130
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
....Ghost company now...Just a fading spirit hanging on to memories of a former life..

How does this affect the Supercars future over time or can they effectively race a car facsimile that is no longer built for years like ford did with Falcon for 2017 and 2018 before the Mustang shape was adopted ...I have no idea..
Don't worry Roddy they've always smoothed the path for anything Holden wants at Least they'll finally stop whining about Mustangs aero

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #131
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Ford at least have good cars. Why they are not selling is another thing entirely.
Ford not selling many cars I believe is due to the bad treatment from the company and dealers. The Powershift Transmission is just one instance that has left a lot of ill feeling in the community. I know Ford no longer uses the Powershift transmission but if you been given the runaround and treated like an idiot why would you buy a Ford again. Plenty of other options in the market.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #132
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
Ford not selling many cars I believe is due to the bad treatment from the company and dealers. The Powershift Transmission is just one instance that has left a lot of ill feeling in the community. I know Ford no longer uses the Powershift transmission but if you been given the runaround and treated like an idiot why would you buy a Ford again. Plenty of other options in the market.
Not withstanding Ford’s history of mistreating customers, I think price plays a big part in lack of sales success, $26k for Ecosport when Picanto starts at $17k, Focus starts near $29k when the others are low 20s, Mondeo starts $37k when Camry is low 30s

Cars are going away but Ford is giving cross shoppers absolutely no reason to even look At theirs
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #133
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Not withstanding Ford’s history of mistreating customers, I think price plays a big part in lack of sales success, $26k for Ecosport when Picanto starts at $17k, Focus starts near $29k when the others are low 20s, Mondeo starts $37k when Camry is low 30s

Cars are going away but Ford is giving cross shoppers absolutely no reason to even look At theirs
Agree 100% they don't have anything for the lower end of the market.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #134
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

While we're talking about Commodores - there is a good summary of the VF Commodore:

They're on the money with the infotainment system being junk compared to the Euros, was driving our VF SV6 company car around, the stereo sound quality absolutely sucks, less bass than my LV Focus

Its also something non car people hold high value with, we had a Mazda 6 company car and it had the Bose stereo and our rep says the Mazda was a better car and talks about the stereo even though it had circa 50% of the power and drove like a turtle upside down on its back.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 14-12-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 14-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #135
hayseed

Quote:

They're on the money with the infotainment system being junk compared to the Euros, was driving our VF SV6 company car around, the stereo sound quality absolutely sucks, less bass than my LV Focus

Its also something non car people hold high value with, we had a Mazda 6 company car and it had the Bose stereo and our rep says the Mazda was a better car and talks about the stereo even though it had circa 50% of the power and drove like a turtle upside down on its back.
To the average Punter who spends most of their "drive time" commuting to & from Work in heavy traffic. The Infotainment system IS more important than Performance & Handling.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #136
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
To the average Punter who spends most of their "drive time" commuting to & from Work in heavy traffic. The Infotainment system IS more important than Performance & Handling.
Absolutely, I do a lot of driving around Melbourne's inner suburbia and CBD and it doesn't matter what's under the hood it's all about how well the HVAC and infotainment system works.

Though when I'm commuting to and from work I have a 60km stretch of country highway and Melbourne Freeway, having something torquey is essential - until the last 2km of the 62km trip where it takes 15 minutes plus to travel that last stretch
3 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #137
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

It's a mix of both, fords new slogan should be

ford : Audi prices with Great Wall customer service !
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #138
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Did PSA actually get it back into profit or was GM doing creative accounting to serve a purpose?

Tim foil hats on from this point forward - Fake News Franco reporting 'alternative facts'
I'd say a bit of both, reporting a profit usually means paying some tax....I say usually as you never know in the corporate world what is actually going on, so saying you're back in the black can support your initial purchase, while conversely GM definately needed as much "reason" to sell...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #139
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I'd say a bit of both, reporting a profit usually means paying some tax....I say usually as you never know in the corporate world what is actually going on, so saying you're back in the black can support your initial purchase, while conversely GM definately needed as much "reason" to sell...
For GM it was a case of stopping the money bleeding by taking a $4billion hit and PSA basically got to take over Opel Vauxhall with far less overheads than GM had, dead legging GM legacy platforms in return for completing supply contracts to Holden and Buick. The strategy sounds weird until you realise that this is just a contingency until 2021 when PSA will use its own platforms, that’s when Opel Vauxhall really turn the corner and become profitable
Old 15-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #140
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
So what exactly went wrong with the Commodore?

Was the change of ownership of manufacturer the final knife in its back?
Ultimately yes.
I think they have a bit longer to run on the Insignia, but Opel are moving everything to PSA platforms.
That said, I imagine they could have potentially shifted to Korean production and rebadged the current generation Malibu. But I gather its future is also uncertain.

If they wanted to compete, what they needed was the Hybrid model, but weirdly GM are phasing that out.

I think Holden grossly overestimated loyalty to the Badge, rather than the car.

Did would be Falcon buyers run out and start buying Mondeos? No, we go looking for good late-model Falcons.
The Falcon and Commodore were unique. Powerful RWD cars at a bang for buck price, and locally made to boot.
Government, Fleet, and Taxis account for a lot of Camry sales, and if you want to compete there you need a Hybrid.
Worse, Camry is actually gaining transaction because Toyota has finally succeeded in turning the car market into a whitegoods market.

Then there is competition on price form the Koreans, and on luxury from the Europeans.

Putting aside money as a consideration, if I were told to go out and buy a new car I liked, as an otherwise Falcon buyer, I would go for a Jag, not a Mondeo.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #141
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like I said before I reckon the 'new' Commodore is actually a really nice car .Especially now I've seen a few and spoken to an enthusiastic owner of one which happened to be the first one I saw up close. He absolutely loved his , that's for sure .

If in fact it is a really good car it's a real shame it's winding up . Maybe the head honcho's at Holden are now truly regretting not retiring the Commodore name and releasing the family car as heaven forbid , The Insignia..

I'm suggesting that a lot of GM buyers probably boycotted the car simply because the didn't regard it as a proper Commodore ..

Astra I know nothing about so I have no idea on that . Then again my theory on the Commodore is probably a mile off too .

GMH are in huge trouble now , very sorry to say .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #142
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

I think Holden grossly overestimated loyalty to the Badge, rather than the car.

Did would be Falcon buyers run out and start buying Mondeos? No, we go looking for good late-model Falcons.
The Falcon and Commodore were unique. Powerful RWD cars at a bang for buck price, and locally made to boot.
Government, Fleet, and Taxis account for a lot of Camry sales, and if you want to compete there you need a Hybrid.
Worse, Camry is actually gaining transaction because Toyota has finally succeeded in turning the car market into a whitegoods market.

Then there is competition on price form the Koreans, and on luxury from the Europeans.

Putting aside money as a consideration, if I were told to go out and buy a new car I liked, as an otherwise Falcon buyer, I would go for a Jag, not a Mondeo.
Absolutely agree, including the Jag bit. XE + XF as Falcon replacements (you can get a smaller one!) and F-Pace to replace Terry. If money were no object. RWD and RWD biased AWD. The supercharged petrol V6 sounds amazing too and they have just done an INLINE 6. After Bojo's election victory there will be A LOT of money flowing north in the UK and their car manufacturing is going to benefit greatly - hopefully more product with that Unique Selling Point of RWD.

And spot on for looking for good late model Falcons, we are lucky that this is still an option for now.
Old 15-12-2019, 11:07 PM   #143
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whether it was badged Commodore or Insignia it wouldn't have made much difference. It sold well for the segment it was competing in.

If they called it Insignia it probably would have sold slightly less (or slightly more?) but not poisoned the brand like it has as the fau-commodore.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2019, 11:29 PM   #144
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Its is a shame, aint it.
I've got to find some one else to laugh at, although the BIL has a VF SS wagoon, which I call the Hearse.
'Spose I'll have to giggle about VW, Jeep and Co. now. And the BIL.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #145
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Like I said before I reckon the 'new' Commodore is actually a really nice car .Especially now I've seen a few and spoken to an enthusiastic owner of one which happened to be the first one I saw up close. He absolutely loved his , that's for sure .

If in fact it is a really good car it's a real shame it's winding up . Maybe the head honcho's at Holden are now truly regretting not retiring the Commodore name and releasing the family car as heaven forbid , The Insignia..

I'm suggesting that a lot of GM buyers probably boycotted the car simply because the didn't regard it as a proper Commodore ..

Astra I know nothing about so I have no idea on that . Then again my theory on the Commodore is probably a mile off too .

GMH are in huge trouble now , very sorry to say .
Entirely agree.The Insignia is a very good vehicle.Just has not been accepted by the OZ buying public.Use to do very good numbers in Europe(72,000 odd units last year & around 67,000 units this year) mind you they are around the #100 in rankings.It peaked @ around 137,000 units quite a few years ago.Real shame it has been axed.
Old 16-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #146
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
The way Ford and Holden/GM are going they will both be finished by 2030. Toyota and Hyundai are slowly pushing them out. First they targeted there passenger cars and next will be there big utes and SUVs. Look at the Tundra and Titan. Biggest mistake ever to stop selling passenger cars and focus on one class.
How Ford is performing here in australia is largely irrelevant to the success of the company globally. Although they are largely profitable here, which is all they need to be. Can't see Holden being in anything other than red ink though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000
It's a mix of both, fords new slogan should be

ford : Audi prices with Great Wall customer service !
Actually Ford finished equal first with mazda in the last customer satisfaction surveys. They have really spent a lot of time trying to turn this around and it looks like it's finally paying off.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...action-121672/
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #147
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
How Ford is performing here in australia is largely irrelevant to the success of the company globally. Although they are largely profitable here, which is all they need to be. Can't see Holden being in anything other than red ink though.

Actually Ford finished equal first with mazda in the last customer satisfaction surveys. They have really spent a lot of time trying to turn this around and it looks like it's finally paying off.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...action-121672/
Love to see the same survey cover their after sales service & customer complaints .... That survey totally ignores how Ford treat their customers when problems arise....
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #148
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

https://www.caradvice.com.au/814216/...final-autopsy/

I haven't always agreed with what the author has written, but the above article has some interesting points.

"Even the most diehard followers found themselves choosing vehicles that better suited their lifestyles – and the buyers who did stay faithful often bought used cars, which did little to help the local Holden and Ford factories churning out new cars."

"One element difficult to measure was the apparent arrogance of Holden as the company ended local manufacturing and switched to becoming solely a vehicle importer, like everyone else."

"Holden wrongly assumed orders for the imported Commodore would be a formality, and so it didn’t make any particular effort to earn that business. Executives thought the orders would come in as night followed day."

"Dealers who spoke to CarAdvice on condition of anonymity believe Holden needs to be more direct in its advertising rather than trying to build brand image. “We need to sell cars, and none of the ads since the end of manufacturing have said simply ‘here’s the car, here’s the price, this is why you should buy one,” said a veteran Holden dealer. “Instead they’ve got ads with idiots stealing a painting and driving around the countryside. How does that help me sell cars, how does that help anyone know about how much those cars are or how they compare to the competition?”".
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #149
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We've finally got worse ads than the FG Falcon launch walking fingers BS
Old 17-12-2019, 03:48 AM   #150
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We've finally got worse ads than the FG Falcon launch walking fingers BS
We knew Holden's advertising gurus had their heads up their *****, when they brilliantly went to the expense of running ads, just to rub in the fact that they were abandoning Australia.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post