Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-06-2019, 07:42 AM   #61
LTDHO
The one and only

Default Re: Digital Driver Licence statewide rollout

Am I the only person who thinks this is a good idea?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #62
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Sound like Darkwood/Thora (20km west of Bellingen) often cut off by the river flooding. I was working/staying on a property there and would buy 2 weeks worth of food for the week. The minute it started to rain or the clouds rolled in over the Dorigo plateau I had to get out otherwise I would be stranded. (No TV, radio, phone service, Interwebs) To leave it was down a long muddy road (in a motorhome) to a low ford, onto 11km of twisty, narrow Darkwood Rd with 4 higher fords crossing the Bellinger river before getting back to the waterfall way at Thora, which often floods before you can make it just to Bellingen.

Back in Coffs was like the big smoke.
Some good driving roads out there though.
Nice part of the world
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #63
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
You're exaggerating a bit there, mate. Whether the vehicle is stolen, or unregistered is about as far as it goes.

Using their phone to scan your face is Trademarked to Fox Studios.
No, the police car computer shows more information who is the owner of the car and if that person has any outstanding warrants, restrictions and notes. The police also put notes against the car if its connected to any banned drivers who may have access to the car. They can put a trigger warning in their system to flag the car for any reason.

Smartphones have facial recognition, the technology is there its only a matter of time as some airports use them now.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #64
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
No, the police car computer shows more information who is the owner of the car and if that person has any outstanding warrants, restrictions and notes. The police also put notes against the car if its connected to any banned drivers who may have access to the car. They can put a trigger warning in their system to flag the car for any reason.

Smartphones have facial recognition, the technology is there its only a matter of time as some airports use them now.
Please check your facts before posting rubbish.

There are quite a few members on AFF who are in the Police force is different states, the ones I've spoken to say that all they can check is if the car is currently registered and whether or not it's a stolen vehicle.

If any further information is wanted they can log into another system or ask the radio room for it, however they need a good reason for doing so.
Old 18-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #65
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That’s my perception of how it works in NSW, too.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2019, 12:18 PM   #66
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

There are quite a few members on AFF who are in the Police force is different states, the ones I've spoken to say that all they can check is if the car is currently registered and whether or not it's a stolen vehicle.

If any further information is wanted they can log into another system or ask the radio room for it, however they need a good reason for doing so.
Not so. kmav23 is partially correct.

In NSW ATM when they do a number plate scan it automatically shows the current license status of the owner.

I recently purchased a car from a pensioner who had just lost his license on medical grounds. I drove it home from his place on the June long weekend. I was pulled over 4 times in 2 days to have my license checked !! I'm 66 years of age, a good safe driver & haven't been pulled over for anything in decades.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #67
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That’s a flag on the registered owner, it can be done by the police or RMS. One common cause is - from what a duty copper told me earlier in the year - a report from the public citing odd driver behaviour but lacking sufficiently sound evidence to prosecute (eg, photos of a car doing a burnout where the driver cannot be seen). Could well be that’s where your long weekend experience came in, if the previous owner was actively disqualified rather than surrendering their licence.
Old 18-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #68
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post

In NSW ATM when they do a number plate scan it automatically shows the current license status of the owner.

I recently purchased a car from a pensioner who had just lost his license on medical grounds. I drove it home from his place on the June long weekend. I was pulled over 4 times in 2 days to have my license checked !! I'm 66 years of age, a good safe driver & haven't been pulled over for anything in decades.

Dr Terry
Did they actually say that was the reason they pulled you over?
Old 18-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #69
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Did they actually say that was the reason they pulled you over?
Absolutely, 2 of the coppers offered that info straight away.

My rego number was automatically scanned as they drove past me & the old guy's license came up instantly as being recently suspended.

Dr Terry
This user likes this post:
Old 18-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #70
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Absolutely, 2 of the coppers offered that info straight away.

My rego number was automatically scanned as they drove past me & the old guy's license came up instantly as being recently suspended.

Dr Terry
There was an article in the paper about this. The number plate recognition technology they use scans the number plates of all passing cars, and any of them that are unregistered, or if the owner has a suspended licence, bring up an alert to the officer who can then pull the car over. A very effective tool for the police.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #71
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As per the ATO and Centrelink, the government is linking different databases using data mining and cross matching.

Police can see who owns the car and they can places any information against the car or the person to flag the car for inspection and to pull them mover.

They can put into the system this car has 4 people who drive it and one is suspended for driving, even if he does not own it.
Old 18-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #72
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
There was an article in the paper about this. The number plate recognition technology they use scans the number plates of all passing cars, and any of them that are unregistered, or if the owner has a suspended licence, bring up an alert to the officer who can then pull the car over. A very effective tool for the police.
This ought to be interesting for me, as I have a NSW drivers licence with all my vehicles registered in Victoria. (Two addresses)
With the NSW RMS stating, I need to have a NSW licence if I spend more than 3 months there but the vehicles don't spend more than 3 months there at a time !

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #73
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Sounds like a good strategy.
Old 18-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #74
roKWiz
Cabover nut

They will be using safetycam next to say, "hey we noticed you stayed here for more than 3 months and we want your rego business."

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #75
hayseed

Quote:

It does a fair bit more than That...

I have trucks & it can tell if there is an uncleared Defect Notice on the vehicle..
Also If you're Pulled Up they can Pull up EVERYWHERE that Number Plate has been photographed in the last (I think) 7 days..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2019, 04:59 PM   #76
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:

Dr Terry
No it doesn't. Police vehicle ANPR in NSW only scans for vehicle information. It will pick up any warnings linked to that car. It does not automatically tell police the owner's licence information.

Here is a clip about the ANPR in NSW...

PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #77
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Oh come now, don’t spoil the debate with facts.

I was rather liking the idea that a rookie HWP occifer with all this alleged data matching and unilateral access could/would sit in his cab and view the video of my latest colonoscopy. (This being necessary to make sure they were speaking to the correct ***hole.)
Old 20-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #78
Pol84
Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT
Sorry officer, flat battery on my phone so i cant prove to you or anyone else my gender , age , nationality or proof of valid drivers license. Without my phone now im f&$@!ng uselss and a nobody.
Just like if you don't have your plastic licence on you? I'll just do a check on the system and find you that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
Have all the states and territories agreed to digital licenses the standards and interoperability?
Can't see how there would be an issue? If I'm looking at a plastic interstate licence or a digital one, I'm essentially looking at the same thing. All can be verified by system checks anyway if there's any doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSAU2XR8 View Post
What if the phone said my license was current and the data terminal in the police car said it was cancelled?
Same as if your plastic licence appeared valid, but system checks reveal it's actually cancelled.
Pol84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2019, 08:05 PM   #79
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol84 View Post
Just like if you don't have your plastic licence on you? I'll just do a check on the system and find you that way.

Can't see how there would be an issue? If I'm looking at a plastic interstate licence or a digital one, I'm essentially looking at the same thing. All can be verified by system checks anyway if there's any doubt.

Same as if your plastic licence appeared valid, but system checks reveal it's actually cancelled.
Good idea...

Plod pulls you up interstate and says that he needs to take your phone back to his car to check the validity (like they do with a license check)

Where he could use something like Samsung's Smart Switch and download all your messages and phone numbers.?

I'll stick with plastic thanks.
Old 20-06-2019, 08:32 PM   #80
Pol84
Police Officer

Quote:
Good idea...

Plod pulls you up interstate and says that he needs to take your phone back to his car to check the validity (like they do with a license check)

Where he could use something like Samsung's Smart Switch and download all your messages and phone numbers.?

Mmmmm, look, I get where you're coming from, but I just don't think there'll a massive issue and it'll just be a shift in how system checks will be conducted. Writing down a name & DOB in your notebook and then heading back to the car for checks would sort that issue out. Also, bearing in mind I don't actually want to touch your phone for two reasons. Firstly, if I don't touch your phone I can't be accused of breaking it and secondly, I deal with enough dirty, grotty things and I don't want to add more to it by handling someone's mobile phone if I don't have to.

Onto the issue of downloading your data. If it's going to be done, it needs to be done lawfully to be of any use. That's not to say that of the 50,000 odd Police Officers out there, there isn't anyone dodgy who'd do it illegally, so technically it could happen. There's bad eggs everywhere and we don't want them in our occupation just as much as anyone else would want them in theirs.

Realistically though, does the law require you to hand the device on which your licence is displayed to a Police Officer?
61C (4) of the NSW Road Transport and Other Legislation Amendment (Digital Driver Licences and Photo Cards) Act 2018 No 21 says;

Quote:
Despite any other provision of this section, a person who displays or purports to display a digital driver licence is not required to give or hand over, to the person who is requiring the driver licence to be produced or handed over, the mobile phone or other electronic device on which the digital driver licence is displayed or purported to be displayed.
Pol84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2019, 08:09 AM   #81
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
No it doesn't. Police vehicle ANPR in NSW only scans for vehicle information. It will pick up any warnings linked to that car. It does not automatically tell police the owner's licence information.

Here is a clip about the ANPR in NSW...

You are being quite pedantic here !

I've used the wording "automatically tell" & your working is "It will pick up any warnings linked".

Not much difference there.

The simple facts are my number plate was scanned (I assume automatically just driving past) & the fact the old owner had his license suspended was "quickly flagged" in some computer manner. Same result.

Dr Terry
3 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #82
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its good it gives people the option to have either digital or physical card.

So many cards to carry in a wallet, if you can have it all on the phone it is very convenient.

e.g a loyalty cards, membership cards etc.

I understand people privacy and security issues.

The airports currently use out passports photos for facial recognition, so its inevitable the police will have the ability to scan our faces with facial recognition to identify someone.

It can also help in crackdown on medicare and centrelink fraud.
Old 22-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #83
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am in Vic, the son of a colleague I worked with lost his licence.
My colleague drove his son's car to give it a run and was pulled over several times.
He said some police would have a bit of a stunned look finding a mid 50s bearded grey haired driver instead of an early 20s guy.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #84
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Good idea...

I have never handed my licence to Mr Plod but have shown it upon request with the licence in my hand as stated by law.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #85
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Ok for you but I still need my wallet for my seniors card!
and for my Donut King discount card, 2 club membership cards, Opal Card, Visa card, Medibank card, Pension card, NRMA card, Aust Post, "My Post card", plus an ID card or two, and some cash. After all, not everybody accepts credit cards.

Last edited by Olbucko; 23-06-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #86
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone downloaded and used the NSW Digital drivers licence ?

Now you can use Opal via your mobile as well.

House locks can also be connected to your smartphone.

So all you need as a guy is your smartphone and nothing else when you go out.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:26 PM   #87
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Has anyone downloaded and used the NSW Digital drivers licence ?

Now you can use Opal via your mobile as well.

House locks can also be connected to your smartphone.

.................And then you drop it on the concrete footpath
Old 08-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #88
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've been resisting the digital transformation, I've got no my health record thing and still use cards and physical spondoolies.

I'm not using any NFC capabilities on my phones,

I'm sure my local cafe appreciates the extra 46 cents they're keeping on every coffee I buy
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #89
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
I find Bunnings and the Plumbers’ CoOp generally prefer clothes, too.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #90
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
If "all you need as a guy is your smartphone and nothing else when you go out", then we are going to see an big increase in STD's and unwanted pregnancies!

Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: