Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #121
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Default Re: Ford Falcon Au Bad Stigma?

Right now.... buy a low km AU Series 1.

Find the 15 inch hubcaps, and any accessories that were available at the time from the dealer. Grab them.

Detail it, clean up the engine bay / chassis. Replace any aftermarket parts with original Ford Genuine (leads are a good example)

Whack on the grandpa spec headlight covers, lambs wool seat covers, number plate protectors, boot protectors ect.

Drive on warm weekends and park in your shed.

These things are getting more popular buy the year... yes I was joking a bit.... bit how often do you see a 100% original AUI getting around now?

If I had room I'd grab a low km Forte, and AUIII Fairmont Ghia with all the fruit.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #122
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XT View Post
Right now.... buy a low km AU Series 1.

Find the 15 inch hubcaps, and any accessories that were available at the time from the dealer. Grab them.

Detail it, clean up the engine bay / chassis. Replace any aftermarket parts with original Ford Genuine (leads are a good example)

Whack on the grandpa spec headlight covers, lambs wool seat covers, number plate protectors, boot protectors ect.

Drive on warm weekends and park in your shed.

These things are getting more popular buy the year... yes I was joking a bit.... bit how often do you see a 100% original AUI getting around now?

If I had room I'd grab a low km Forte, and AUIII Fairmont Ghia with all the fruit.
i'm on it
its no AU1 Forte but the next best thing (the Phase 2 you could say)
113,000km and a few months ago it was a granny's pride and joy

BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #123
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Mmmm... Lambswool number plate covers! :p

The picks would be a Congo Green S3 XR6/8 ute in manual, a V8 Fairmont Ghia, and the lowest trim spec sedan to receive a V8, see if there is a six seater variant. Like the ‘55 Chev “businessman’s coupé” which could be bought with a full boogie driveline.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #124
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU XR8s are starting to go up quite nicely!Try and find a nice one can be a challenge.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #125
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

One of Yap-Hoon's finest AUs for sale on FB

$1,500
About This Vehicle
Driven 280,000 km
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Silver · Interior color: Black
Good condition
Seller's Description
Ford falcon xr6 tickford Manuel 17 inch rims needs new intake but will include and replace for right offer looking at swapping for a boat

I can help with the purchase, for a fee of course.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #126
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I still have a soft spot for the AU.

Dad had an AU2 Fairmont Ghia V8 new and I had it for a while when he was done with it.

I'd still love to have a T3, though I don't think my wife will be so enthused for it. She isn't mad for the EL, lol, but the Jeep does the trick!
Old 07-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #127
roKWiz
Cabover nut

CB wrote.......
Like the ‘55 Chev “businessman’s coupé” which could be bought with a full boogie driveline

Alabama's Moonshiner option pack.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #128
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
i'm on it
its no AU1 Forte but the next best thing (the Phase 2 you could say)
113,000km and a few months ago it was a granny's pride and joy
bAUtiful
Old 07-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #129
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna View Post
it has been suggested that when the AU was being conceived......Ford Aust was on the back of an unprecedented 15 years at the top....or near the top of the aussie sales charts and financially at their peak in local history.

forgetting the styling, that as we know was not accepted......the engineering that went into the AU, is the reason why TODAY......it is renowned as one of the toughest aussie cars ever built. even the Holden faithful, admit the AU is bullet proof for strength.

no one can take that away from its history.

It's funny, I've been going back and forth between FG, SY, ED and XW and I reckon the 15 years at the top somewhat rests on the design of XD-E-F and EA-B-D-F-L - a big wide low car with acres of room in the dash, and simple. It sold and sold and sold, keeping top spot while Holden caught up in the width and size (modeling VT on EB in core dimensions?) You would keep doing ball joints but the simplicity of the rear end meant not too much expensive total rebuilding, like with our IRS. So they were no-brainer long term ownership propositions. They had cool features like front bench seats to use all that width practically.

Engineers kept gradually improving E Series (eg head gasket) resulting in the AU. Tickford added bespoke suspension tunes and hotter motors to customise very fine drivers cars out of a family sedan. But with AU design jumped the shark, as the company decided what their target market would have. As much as I love the AU, it's a little more enclosed and claustrophobic up front (bangs head) compared to ED which is wide, and spacey and what Australians liked. Imagine if they had continued the Falcon design strengths with the robustness?

Now I don't have an AU (I am AU-less) but even having had them in the family, getting into the E series recently blew me away at how much space it had, how wide, how good vision. No wonder they sold.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #130
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
It's funny, I've been going back and forth between FG, SY, ED and XW and I reckon the 15 years at the top somewhat rests on the design of XD-E-F and EA-B-D-F-L - a big wide low car with acres of room in the dash, and simple. It sold and sold and sold, keeping top spot while Holden caught up in the width and size (modeling VT on EB in core dimensions?) You would keep doing ball joints but the simplicity of the rear end meant not too much expensive total rebuilding, like with our IRS. So they were no-brainer long term ownership propositions. They had cool features like front bench seats to use all that width practically.

Engineers kept gradually improving E Series (eg head gasket) resulting in the AU. Tickford added bespoke suspension tunes and hotter motors to customise very fine drivers cars out of a family sedan. But with AU design jumped the shark, as the company decided what their target market would have. As much as I love the AU, it's a little more enclosed and claustrophobic up front (bangs head) compared to ED which is wide, and spacey and what Australians liked. Imagine if they had continued the Falcon design strengths with the robustness?

Now I don't have an AU (I am AU-less) but even having had them in the family, getting into the E series recently blew me away at how much space it had, how wide, how good vision. No wonder they sold.
Interesting post. I always thought I was just imaging things when I remember working on the E series thinking that they just seemed bigger inside than my BA and th AU's. But don't every model falcon have the same floor pan?

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #131
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

So , as most of you know , probably only too well I own the same AUll from 2003 to now and the FG XR6 .. The FG is awesome , she beaut to drive , she looks great , and she's a car I always wanted from day one in 2008 when they were released .

Guess what , so was the AU .,I have exactly the same feeling for my AU every time I drive the old girl . Nothing special either , no added on bits , paint is pretty ordinary, a bit of an oil leak here and there , a bit of a squeak in the sway bar rubbers , slightly sagging rear suspension but bloody heck she's so reliable ,so trustworthy and so easy to fix on the odd occasion something needs attention.

I can honestly say where I live there are a heap of AU's still getting about and only a couple of VT Commodores...Says it all for me.

The AU is in your blood or it isn't . Dare to say AU's are one of the most talked about Aussie cars of all time. Mine stays with me forever .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #132
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XT
Interesting post. I always thought I was just imaging things when I remember working on the E series thinking that they just seemed bigger inside than my BA and th AU's. But don't every model falcon have the same floor pan?
It's the sloping A pillars and steeper windscreen that does it. It brings the windscreen and roof a lot closer to the drivers head, which gives the impression that it's a lot smaller dimensionally inside. Which might be the case in headroom dimensions, but in terms of width etc at floor level they would be roughly the same.

Made them worse to get in and out of as well.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #133
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
I can honestly say where I live there are a heap of AU's still getting about and only a couple of VT Commodores...Says it all for me.

The AU is in your blood or it isn't . Dare to say AU's are one of the most talked about Aussie cars of all time. Mine stays with me forever .
There are heaps of well kept examples getting around here. Inland cars don't have the rust problem of coastal ones.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post