Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default No More Commodore or Astra

Holden announces exclusive SUV and Ute line-up
Holden·Tuesday, 10 December 2019·4 minutes

We encourage all of our followers to please read the following press release with care.
Please direct message us with any further questions, our customer care hours are Monday – Friday: 8am – 7pm AEST. Please be conscious that due to a high volume of messages, it may take our team a little longer to respond, but we will endeavour to respond to every direct message.
Holden is today announcing a modified portfolio dedicated exclusively to SUVs and light commercial vehicles.
Holden Interim Chairman and Managing Director, Kristian Aquilina, said the focus of the portfolio was consistent with customer preferences, with the Acadia, Trailblazer, Equinox and Trax rounding out a comprehensive SUV portfolio; and the Colorado tackling rivals in the light commercial vehicle (LCV) segment.
“Holden is taking this decisive action to ensure a sharp focus on the largest and most buoyant market segments.
“So far this year SUVs and Utes have increased to 76 percent of Holden sales, a trend we only see continuing,” he said.
The company has elected to retire the ZB Commodore and the BK Astra in 2020.
At its peak, the large car segment in Australia accounted for 217,882 sales in 1998. This year it is projected to come in at about 8,700 units.
The large passenger car segment declined by over 87 percent between October 2013 and October this year, with private buyers in the segment down by 93 percent in that period.
“The SUV segment is approaching half a million units, and LCVs over 200,000 units. That’s where the action is and that’s where we are going to play,” Mr Aquilina said.
The new Holden boss also paid tribute to the Commodore nameplate and its place in the Australian automotive industry over time.
“The decision to retire the Commodore nameplate has not been taken lightly by those who understand and acknowledge its proud heritage,” he said.
“The large sedan was the cornerstone of Australian and New Zealand roads for decades. But now with more choice than ever before, customers are displaying a strong preference for the high driving position, functionality and versatility of SUVs and Utes.”
Sales and deliveries of Commodore and Astra will continue through 2020, albeit with diminishing model availability as part of an orderly runout.
Existing Commodore and Astra customers can be assured that Holden will continue to back warranty and roadside assistance commitments, with spare parts supply guaranteed well into the future.
In addition, all MY19 ZB Commodores and MY19 BK Astras ordered or delivered from today onwards will be subject to Holden’s market-leading seven-year free scheduled servicing offer.
All arrangements for accessing warranty, servicing and spare parts for Holden’s entire model line-up via the Holden’s national dealer network remain the same.
Holden will be launching the MY20 Equinox in the first quarter of 2020 followed by a significant MY21 upgrade to the highly regarded Colorado to launch in Spring. Holden will also lodge production orders to GM’s Bowling Green factory for the highly anticipated mid-engine right-hand-drive Corvette next year.
Will Holden still honour the warranty on my new Commodore (or Astra)?
Yes, Holden will of course honour the warranty on your new Commodore, and we will ensure the supply of spare parts for it as well. All arrangements for warranty, servicing and spare parts for both ZB Commodore and BK Astra via the Holden’s national dealer network remain the same.
How will I get my Commodore (or Astra) serviced now Holden is closing?
Holden is not closing, and you will still be able to get your Commodore (or Astra) serviced at your local Holden dealer. We are launching updated models next year. Holden is here for the long term.
Does Holden really have a future in Australia without the Commodore?
Holden is much more than any individual nameplate no matter how successful it may have been. With our design and engineering capabilities and long history in this country we are well placed to improve the drive for everyday Australians.
Holden will be launching an MY20 Equinox in the first quarter of 2020 followed by a significant MY21 upgrade to the highly regarded Colorado to launch in Spring. Holden will also lodge production orders to GM’s Bowling Green factory for the much anticipated mid- engine right-hand-drive Corvette next year.
Why have you discontinued the Commodore?
The large passenger car segment declined by over 87% between October 2013 and October this year. That along with unfavourable currency exchange rates means that Commodore is no longer a viable proposition for Holden.
Why have you discontinued the Astra?
The Astra is an excellent vehicle but the Australian car market has changed and it is no longer a volume proposition for us. Significant investment is required now to remain in this segment beyond next year, and we cannot see a future where we compete profitably with a small car out of Europe.
Can I still buy a Commodore (or Astra)?
At the moment, yes, your local Holden dealer will very likely have various Commodore (or Astra) models in stock, and if not, they can order most models from us. Stocks will run out in the coming months.
If, after reading this information you still have questions, we encourage you to contact us further via direct message.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: No More Commodore or Astra

Blind Freddy saw that coming....
Old 10-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Commodore goes out with a whimper with the pillow over its face in the mental asylum

What a way to end such an iconic brand in this country.

Meat pies kangaroos and rebadged GM Korea ****boxes
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I just wonder how much it has cost them to do it... Probably would have been more cost effective to let Commodore die with VF... Sad really was a good car for anyone who wanted a hatch backed sedan.
5 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm calling Holden brand dead by Q2 2021 and GM either rebranding as Chevrolet or pulling out of Australia.
4 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #6
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
That's a bit harsh. I believe the only Holden built in Korea currently is the Trax which is reportedly a good little car, probably no better or worse than any Kia or Hyundai.

The others are sourced from Europe & North America.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
Vekgib

Oh well. Bound to happen. No great loss.
Back to discussing Fords

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
Vekgib is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #8
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
I'm calling Holden brand dead by Q2 2021 and GM either rebranding as Chevrolet or pulling out of Australia.
I'd expect an announcement Q2 2020 about an impending closure/re branding exercise.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

All remaining models becoming Chevrolet, makes perfect sense in the context of our confused national identity. Then people can drive them to the levee, as per the unofficial Drunk Anthem.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
unkey

I see Toyota scoring the most ,with the few Commodore buyers now buying Camrys,and the few Astra buyers now buying Corollas...
unkey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I saw a new Camry last night - it looks mint.

Same with the new Corolla, suddenly Toyota went from white goods bought by Indians en masse as a status symbol to now also attracting the attention of younger buyers.
4 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Same with the new Corolla, suddenly Toyota went from white goods bought by Indians en masse as a status symbol to now also attracting the attention of younger buyers.
I agree Franco. The latest Camry is a good looking car. I think it'd be a damn good family vehicle.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Should have let it die with dignity 2 years ago. Way to tarnish the nameplate.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good time to buy one. 7 year warranty and servicing... and they will be SUPER cheap!
This user likes this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 04:50 PM   #15
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Real shame that Insignia is being “retired” from the Aus market.Really a very good vehicle,with no inherent issues.Just a shame OZ buyers did not accept it.Yet they buy Camry,go figure.It is no better or worse than the Insignia.One of the best selling cars in Europe,with around 80,000 odd units sold.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #16
unkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Real shame that Insignia is being “retired” from the Aus market.Really a very good vehicle,with no inherent issues.Just a shame OZ buyers did not accept it.Yet they buy Camry,go figure.It is no better or worse than the Insignia.One of the best selling cars in Europe,with around 80,000 odd units sold.
The Camry is far more reliable ,and way better built than the Commodore.
Worlds best selling D segment car, almost 800 000 units yearly .
unkey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #17
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As predicted off the back of GM canning the Buick Regal last week.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #18
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkey View Post
The Camry is far more reliable ,and way better built than the Commodore.
Worlds best selling D segment car, almost 800 000 units yearly .
Still have a Insignia over a Camry any day.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:02 PM   #19
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Supercars will be in a mad scramble now for the 2021 season you would think?
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #20
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Biggest issue all along was calling it a commodore, tbh if I was looking only for a new work hack ATM to rack up high ks in it as well as a Camry would be on my goto list.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #21
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:

New? Hasn’t it been out for over 18 months? Looks ok but is a pretty boring unit, barely more than a white good.

Quote:
GM Korea? Don’t think so. Only one model currently out of Korea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
I think Holden’s biggest mistake was badging it a Commodore. It would most likely have been better accepted by punters as an Insignia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
Supercars will be in a mad scramble now for the 2021 season you would think?
No hurry, they kept racing the Nissan for ages after they were discontinued here.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan

Last edited by Cashie; 10-12-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #22
Sioso
irregular member

Commodore died with the VF2, it's just taken Holden a little bit longer to come to terms with it.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #23
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Good time to buy one. 7 year warranty and servicing... and they will be SUPER cheap!
if you were dumb enough to buy a Holden who is going to honour the seven year servicing and the warranty when they no longer exist not to mention the resale value they would have to be giving the junk away
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My bad the warranty is 5 years... lol
Old 10-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #25
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think GM will just pull the pin as they did in Europe by the end of 2020.

Last edited by EBSXR6; 10-12-2019 at 06:52 PM.
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #26
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

So inevitable and probably for the best but for those of us who swing bother ways it's a double whammy, Falcon and Commodore gone.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #27
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

How come EVERYBODY saw this coming except the brass in Detroit?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #28
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Don’t you worry about that.They would have been planning this for awhile.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #29
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

No one ‘desires’ a bread and butter Holden or Ford these days, and I mean the new car buyers out there, not the second hand buyers who’ll likely reply to this post negatively.
Buyers are ‘desiring’ the alternative higher class and reliability perceived Jap/Korean badges, or ‘prestige’ Euro car. It’s never been cheaper to finance and get behind the wheel of these motors.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
They're pulling out of Europe and other markets and focusing on the US first and foremost, they knew what was going to happen, it was just a half assed damage control measure to make it look like Detroit tried but the Australian customer didn't come to the party.

The US market is so large that they can comfortably just operate in USA, Canada and Mexico
6 users like this post: