Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
sting3r
Starter Motor

Default Should I sell or keep my FPV GT 2012

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the best spot to post this so please move/remove if required.

So....I'm most going to order a new Mustang 2020 this year.

But my issue is what to do with my FPV GT, alot of my friends and family are saying keep it, it's the last of the Australian built cars. Blah blah blah

Some back-ground. The is Kenitic blue with black strips. It has 77k kms on it. I can financial keep so money isn't the issue here.

I'm just wondering what other people are think? Or have you been in a similar situation, what did you do?
sting3r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Should I sell or keep my FPV GT 2012

If your in a position to keep it why not.

I have kept my BA GT, had it for over 10 years now.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Im in the market for a 335 GT can you PM message with me info and pics mods price etc.

Its up to you i guess, it costs alot to keep a second car that wont be driven much as you are still paying rego, insurance maintenance etc
Old 11-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting3r View Post

But my issue is what to do with my FPV GT, alot of my friends and family are saying keep it, it's the last of the Australian built cars. Blah blah blah
This section here suggests that is neither here nor there for you which is fine. So my advice is sell it, it sounds like it's being replaced by something you want more. If you were heartbroken over the decision and you really didn't want to get rid of it, I'd say keep it absolutely.

To me a Falcon variant is a passion, not just a car. The only reason I'd consider something else is to preserve the Falcon.

To others, it's an old relic of by gone days. For those, they move on with very little emotional attachment.

Neither is better or worse, it's just were your value is.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the best spot to post this so please move/remove if required.

Some back-ground. The is Kenitic blue with black strips. It has 77k kms on it. I can financial keep so money isn't the issue here.

I'm just wondering what other people are think? Or have you been in a similar situation, what did you do?
Cover it over & put it back in the shed.Just take it out for a run occasionally.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If you can afford to, just keep it. They aren't making them anymore now. Use the Mustang as a daily and keep the GT for weekend cruises.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #7
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Not a hard decision taking emotion out of it.
You can afford the new one.
Do you want extra cash flow in your pocket or keep it, simple.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #8
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I could have kept my GT and had a mustang too there would be no question , I would have done it in a heartbeat. You just have to do what feels right for you but one thing is for sure , you won't find another like it once it's gone if you have had it from new. I still have pangs of guilt but once I start the Mustang and listen to that exhaust they disappear.
There is no right or wrong answer here, just do what your heart tells you.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #9
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When the Mustang arrives, wait a month or two, see what you think when you swap driving between the two and then make a decision....and you can always advertise it in the mean time to see what the market says...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi All,

If you really wanted to keep this car you would not be asking this question at all, sell it to someone who might appreciate it more than you.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #11
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mustangs …. common as Camrys.
Falcon GTs of any era, getting to be rarer than a ZB 'Commodore', and more admired than a Tesla.
Keeping a second car is not as expensive as most say. If you can afford a Mustang, you can afford to keep a Falcon.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #12
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Falcon GTs of any era, getting to be rarer than a ZB 'Commodore', and more admired than a Tesla.

Keeping a second car is not as expensive as most say. If you can afford a Mustang, you can afford to keep a Falcon.

Agree with this... the last Aussie made v8s are the type of thing to keep and use as your weekender/sunny day car... we will never see something like them again and they are a great reminder of Australia’s proud car making history...: it doesn’t matter if it’s a GT/f6 falcon, ss or hsv commodore.. if you have one and can afford it financially it’s a no brainer to keep it...

I regret selling my FG when I could have afforded not too.. and my SSV Redline will never be sold...

Op, you can afford to keep your so don’t sell it... grab a Mustang for a daily and keep your GT for fun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
The people saying keep it, it's the last falcon. Do they have one in their garage to say you should keep it? If they don't have one they should refrain from offering advice
I don't have a Falcon, I have a V2 Monaro. Pretty much the same thing, so I think I can offer an opinion.

I have driven a ZB Commodore, it is a nice car, but it is just another car like many others currently available on showroom floors. Whether it is a better drive than a 16 year old Monaro is not the point. There was no enjoyment in driving it. My Monaro makes me happy to drive it.
5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2019, 05:28 PM   #14
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

I've got a 2012 XR6T Limited Edition. I'm keeping it.. That's made the decision to stop taking it back to the dealer for expensive (and incorrect!) services much easier since they are never getting the chance to trade it now.

I'll be buying something else in about 5 years I think, when the FG2 has about 65-70K on the clock. At which point it'll have weekend duties.

But if someone asks for advice on a forum, why should anyone refrain from giving their best advice? That's just totally nuts.. Much like saying my FGX XR8 was too stable to make it feel fast, even though it was 'that' fast.

Seen plenty of Mustangs wrapped around a pole too
JasonACT is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #15
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Hi All,

If you're not sure and there are no affordability issues, keep it at least for a while.

You can always sell it later on if you then decide to, it could be a couple of months or more. But remember, once its gone its gone.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #16
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sometimes it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow ... I'd rather be flat chat in a manual Hyundai Getz than plotting along in my fgx XR8.. can't use them on the roads.
Off topic ….. a 'fun' car ………. a Suzuki LJ50 2 stroke 4WD.
I could wring it's neck in all gears (4 of them) and never worry about being done for exceeding the speed limit. You wanted revs, you got them, but not the speed. With big wheels, it cornered terrific ( for its time). Bags of FUN.
A satisfying drive ? Not. A safe drive ? Not. In retrospect, it was just b****y dangerous to myself and other drivers around me.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #17
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Go drive a Honda type r or a golf r. Fun cars

So I can assume you own both a type r and good r because, you know, you can only have an opinion if you own one...

Old 11-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #18
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

I don't aspire to own a FPV GT, I just think mine is the **** (that's "the ****", as opposed to just ****).

I had a Honda Prelude late 1997 VTiR and it was crap in comparison.

Last edited by GasoLane; 11-12-2019 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Don't try to avoid the censor
JasonACT is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #19
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have kept my XR6T and it is nothing special / stock and is showing its age.
I can't let it go, which is weird, but in my case would have been worth stuff all as a trade.

You also have to remember that the Mustang is a 2 seater and fairly impractical space wise.
It is handy to have a Falcon for times when you need 4 Doors for various reasons.

I drive the Falcon to work once a week and sometimes on weekends.
It helps to keep the kms down a bit on the Mustang as well.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2019, 08:34 PM   #20
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

No... Once its gone hard to get back. I sell nothing.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #21
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whatever you do i wouldn't take any advice from someone who thinks a hyundai getz is a better drive than a fgx xr8

Hold onto it for a bit and see how you feel after the new car feeling has worn off on the mustang. Then make a choice. Ive sold cars i would love to have kept but it just wasn't practical at the time, i don't regret it, it had to be done.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #22
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

A: Yes

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #23
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Whatever you do i wouldn't take any advice from someone who thinks a hyundai getz is a better drive than a fgx xr8

Hold onto it for a bit and see how you feel after the new car feeling has worn off on the mustang. Then make a choice. Ive sold cars i would love to have kept but it just wasn't practical at the time, i don't regret it, it had to be done.

Agreed.. when I sold my FG Turbo I instantly regretted it... the bloke who bought it wasn’t even out of the street before I said to my nan (where it was being stored) “that was a mistake”..... God I loved that car.... it came up for sale 12 months ago.. still had the same plates on it from sale... and it was trashed.... broke my heart...

2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #24
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Above is why I sell NOTHING.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #25
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Agreed.. when I sold my FG Turbo I instantly regretted it... the bloke who bought it wasn’t even out of the street before I said to my nan (where it was being stored) “that was a mistake”..... God I loved that car.... it came up for sale 12 months ago.. still had the same plates on it from sale... and it was trashed.... broke my heart...

That is what stops me from selling my FG XR6. I don't need it and it's nothing especially rare or special, but it is special to me and would break my heart to see it trashed in someone else's hands.

To the OP, keep the GT for long enough to let the dust settle once the Mustang arrives, then decide if it's something you must have in your life.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #26
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
That is what stops me from selling my FG XR6. I don't need it and it's nothing especially rare or special, but it is special to me and would break my heart to see it trashed in someone else's hands.

To the OP, keep the GT for long enough to let the dust settle once the Mustang arrives, then decide if it's something you must have in your life.

Everytime I see photos of your beautiful FG XR6 I get a twinge in my stomach.... Mine (apart from being a turbo) was almost the same as yours.. 2008 Build, Sensation with Tech Pack and 19’s and always spotless...

Old 11-12-2019, 09:38 PM   #27
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Everytime I see photos of your beautiful FG XR6 I get a twinge in my stomach.... Mine (apart from being a turbo) was almost the same as yours.. 2008 Build, Sensation with Tech Pack and 19’s and always spotless...

I hope the pics of mine remind you of why you loved yours so much rather than the regret of letting it go.

What trim did it have by the way? Coloured cloth or leather?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #28
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
No... Once its gone hard to get back. I sell nothing.
yes i am the same i sell nothing not ever my 1984 mec, ef falcon wagon nor my modifies 2008 turbo Ghia turbo territory
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2019, 10:02 PM   #29
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I hope the pics of mine remind you of why you loved yours so much rather than the regret of letting it go.

What trim did it have by the way? Coloured cloth or leather?

It certainly does...

Mine just had the black cloth... I loved the blue option like yours but got impulsive and bought a sensation one they had on the lot... it was a funny one... Sensation, zf auto and the tech pack and factory ordered with the luxury pack 19’s but nothing else (no leather, colour screen, etc) which was exactly what I wanted... June or July build from memory.... I’ve still got the purchase paperwork and all the service receipts, etc in a file in the office.. lol

Old 11-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #30
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Re: Should I sell or keep my FPV GT 2012

Quote:
You are right if you enjoy the drive keep it.. but don't keep it because they don't make falcons anymore or because other people like them or could be a collector item.

On paper my old fgx XR8 ticked every box, last model falcon , I bought it brand new, supercharged V8, kinetic colour, what more could you want? But in reality it was pretty boring to drive .. I'd drove it for half an hour and then think ok enough put it away. It just wasn't a very engaging car to drive. You could watch YouTube videos of them and get about as much engagement.

Sometimes it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow ... I'd rather be flat chat in a manual Hyundai Getz than plotting along in my fgx XR8.. can't use them on the roads.

Go drive a Honda type r or a golf r. Fun cars
Thought the same about my FGX XR8 until I did a track day, wow was awesome to use all that grunt and go home without a speeding ticket. The passion is back, she's a keeper.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: