Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #31
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

welcome to caming an au ,some like some don't .if its blowing black smoke it will have lost to much vac @ idle and you'l need a chip.
you can adjust the idle screw up a bit to get it to idle better .being yours is an auto i'm not to sure how it will behave though.or you can get a vernier gear and advance the cam a bit.but then you loose topend.
the car will feel slower down in the rev range but once your got some revs under it ie. 3000 + it will pull harder and rev out quicker,depending on your cam .

maybe some of the forum sponsors could chip in and give you some advice
Old 18-02-2007, 11:37 PM   #32
JoesAu

UPDATE took it for a spin the car starts pulling above 3 grand in manual changing, im losing brakes as well whilst in drive, blowing black smoke, all symtoms of a retarted cam ive been told and i believe it cos the cam is ment to kick in at 1000 not 3000, basically ive got everything i didnt want, getting the vernier gear tommorow i think im just gonna give to a mechanic, he can dial it in and be done with it.

The lifters have stopped screaming as well very strange.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 12:04 AM   #33
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Hey Joesy
John call me last night about this prob of yours .
You had better get your mechanic to do a leak down test on your motor.
you might have a slight bend in a Valve or 2 and that could be your problem.
Other then that with the 549 cam you don't need to go more then 2* advanced .. so with your cam I would only put it at 2* as well
Old 19-02-2007, 12:05 AM   #34
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Black smoke from lack of vacuum.Too rich.Poor brakes=poor vacuum. A chip or the valves arent closing properly

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 12:10 AM   #35
JoesAu

yeah i'll check in 2 that Swanny, i dont see that it would of bent anything thou. fairenuff i ddidnt put the shimms in at the start but i dont get it
Old 19-02-2007, 12:12 AM   #36
JoesAu

Crow said dont worry bout advancing it, but my bottom pulley has spun so we got it as close to tdc as possible obviously not enuff now
Old 19-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #37
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The cam sounds too retarded. you will need to dial it in with a vernier gear!
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 08:55 AM   #38
trick_xd

how big is that cam to mine and johns ?
johns first cam was way to big and had the probs you are saying .. Don't take it to the same place as he did..(tools)
what everyone here is saying can be right but no one can see first hand the problem So you will have to start with the easy things first.

compression test (leak down test)
Timing is set right
those are the very first things I would do if it was my car or a costumers car.

Let us know how you go .

Cheers
Swanny
Old 19-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #39
JoesAu

yeah i reckon its badly retarded, it would only be a few degrees i say, the cam is a little bit smaller then Johnnys, it has 485lift, i gotta get a vernier and just give it to a mechanic in Lara and be done with it.
Old 19-02-2007, 10:37 AM   #40
JoesAu

if i had a dial indicator i'd know by now what it it was.
Old 19-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #41
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

it definatly sounds retarded. valves wont be closing, causing low compression. also causing low vacuum, which in turn is making you fuel reg pump in more fuel (due to low vacuum) which in turn make you blow MORE black smoke. never ending cyle. need to make sure (not estimate) where zero is. sounds like the cam is retarded.

joey, the cam is a fair bit smaller than mine in both duration and lift. it will not need a chip to run. i think from memory its similar to a wade 918x.

find out where zero is, place cam at zero. should all be good. incase you have bent a valve, listen out for poping nioses, or puffs of black smoke at regualar intervals.

lets us know how ya go joey.

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #42
JoesAu

well ive bent my valves
Old 20-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #43
JoesAu

very bad day
Old 20-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #44
JoesAu

cant believe this has happened, Soon as i put the factory shimms in the other day the car was never same. 4exhaust valves are bent the head will be coming off 2 nite, still cant understand how this has happened, the crow cam went in the same way the factory one was in, no links slipped no crap, yet the car was driving like a bloody dogg. Unless the factory cam was out of positon before we touched it i dont know, we had top dead centre.
Old 20-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #45
Futura01
horsepower

mate, it sounds like the cam dialing was way out and you will need a vernier cam gear for sure , if you want it to run close to std idle as possible.
good luck with it and hope it doesnt give u anymore headaches
Futura01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #46
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
cant believe this has happened, Soon as i put the factory shimms in the other day the car was never same. 4exhaust valves are bent the head will be coming off 2 nite, still cant understand how this has happened, the crow cam went in the same way the factory one was in, no links slipped no crap, yet the car was driving like a bloody dogg. Unless the factory cam was out of positon before we touched it i dont know, we had top dead centre.

regardless of weather it was on tdc or not ,the cam can only go in one way.
sounds like something was a miss?
did crow say you could use the standard valve springs ,or did you need hd ones.
maybe valve float and the springs weren't up to it ???????

did you crank it over a few times by hand to check and make sure all was good before starting it?
Old 20-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #47
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Joey, sounds like your having a ***** of a time, you'll get there!!!!!!!

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #48
trick_xd

Happy Birthday Joe
you might as will have a drink ... you wont be driving your car anywhere
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #49
JoesAu

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
Happy Birthday Joe
will do
Old 21-02-2007, 01:24 AM   #50
LO_ GHIA
cruisin

The cam should have been in the same position as the standard one, but it sounds as though the cam gear may have turned. Either that or u let the slack off the timing chain and the crankshaft has skipped a tooth. Bent valves indicates that your valve timing was out. As much of an @ss i may sound like, it seems as though you havent installed it properly. Although it is puzzling because you claim only 4 valves were bent. When my brothers EL 4.0L let go, the valve timing had jumped (chunks of steel between cam gear and chain!) it snapped all of the inlet rockers, and bent all of the exhaust valves. Best to dial it in next time to make sure.

Good luck with it!

~Nick~
LO_ GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 02:23 AM   #51
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
Happy Birthday Joe

geez you dont help the situation swanny, lol! :

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Old 21-02-2007, 07:37 AM   #52
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
well ive bent my valves
Joe I feel your pain!! Happened to me with my first motor mate.I threw all of the valves,smashed the rockers.. But dont worry because persistance will pay off

At the moment I am immobile too an its down right annoying.Dont worry mate it will pass ,people cant really be fixed.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #53
james22
With da Warlords

Goodluck with it dude, as has been said some take nicely to it, others can be a downright dog. I was one of the lucky ones when i changed my cam lol

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #54
JoesAu

thanks im thinking of doing a little headwork whilst its off now as well saves doing it later.
Old 21-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #55
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

your probably better to start with a second hand head joey. the amount of money u'll probably spend trying to machine yours back to working order, could be spent on a second hand on, and some porting.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #56
JoesAu

UPDATE, Well the head is being done at the moment, my valve springs were buggered, so new valve springs are ordered as well, the intake valve on the head will be changed to bout 2-3mm larger plus port n polish job. All new valves going in, guides etc. Costly mistake and lesson learnt but it happens what can you do. I have bought a Manual this time which shows the factory timing of the cam etc. The cam was out by a Quarter of the cam gear so that was huge and broke 3 valves. Hopefully i havent done any damage to the pistons and there is some slight marks on them from where the valves hit.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #57
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good news to here your getting it sorted mate.
i didn't think you could go any larger on the intake valves?
the cam being out by a quater of the cam gear is HUGE
Old 04-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #58
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
UPDATE, Well the head is being done at the moment, my valve springs were buggered, so new valve springs are ordered as well, the intake valve on the head will be changed to bout 2-3mm larger plus port n polish job. All new valves going in, guides etc. Costly mistake and lesson learnt but it happens what can you do. I have bought a Manual this time which shows the factory timing of the cam etc. The cam was out by a Quarter of the cam gear so that was huge and broke 3 valves. Hopefully i havent done any damage to the pistons and there is some slight marks on them from where the valves hit.
The AU has a 47mm intake valve. 2-3mm larger intake valves 49-50mm is not possible or even desirable. Just think about it. What is the bore of the falcon six? my experience is do not let just anyone mod your head. Unless they have real world falcon six tuning experience they will make no diference to peak power and may make the powerband worse.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #59
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

well the person doing his head did mine. im completely happy with mine!

Old 04-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #60
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_4.0
well the person doing his head did mine. im completely happy with mine!
theres a bit of difference between au and e series heads .