Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default E85 Fallen on its ***?

Well they still have E10 in some servos around Melbourne but not many seem to use it and even the E85 Commadore was a COMPLETE flop I have only seen a few on road ever....

Anyone using E85 in other states?

Was'nt it going to go huge in the U.S?

Thankgod the whole Ethanol industry is BS!

Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: E85 Fallen on its ***?

There is absolutely no compelling case for E85 in Australia, the need barely exists in the USA
where it's heavily subsidiesd by the government through assistance to corn farmers.

The only reason it exists at all int eh USA is by virtue of being a renewable energy source
and by making vehicles E85 compliant, manufacturers get credits for their CAFE limits.

The whole thing is a giant chocolate teapot.
4 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well luckily the Oz government didn't go subsidising Holden with the E85 Commo and making it some big stupid, expensive, wasteful industry that only Holden get away with then....

Sucked in Holden your E85 Commadore was ****!
Old 05-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

there are lots of modded cars using it these days

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 05-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Well luckily the Oz government didn't go subsidising Holden with the E85 Commo and making it some big stupid, expensive, wasteful industry that only Holden get away with then....

Sucked in Holden your E85 Commadore was ****!
what are you on about?
their is no special run of E85 commos.... they all can all use E10~E85.
omega to calais
Old 05-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
there are lots of modded cars using it these days
Ye its o.k for modded cars because yes the octane rating is higher but for daily driver cars its useless and false economy.....Not to mention the energy that is wasted to produce it!

And why if the V8 supercars are running it ar'nt Holden selling SS's with E85 fuel systems???

Because ITS ****!!!!!
Old 05-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
what are you on about?
their is no special run of E85 commos.... they all can all use E10~E85.
omega to calais
Well they have E85 badges on the boot......Point is either E10 or anything in between up to E85 has'nt been very popular at all for 'normal' drivers.

Which is great for me because I am an LPG man!
Old 05-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wtf...
Old 05-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Well they have E85 badges on the boot......Point is either E10 or anything in between up to E85 has'nt been very popular at all for 'normal' drivers.

E85 designates SS man
AFM designates SS auto (E85)

as for lpg give it time, price will kill it.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

17ltrs per 100kms on E85 great fuel
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
Old 05-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well its been about five years now since this fuel came out......How come thers barely ANY servos with full E85 pumps.....Actually I have NEVER seen an E85 pump in Melbourne anywhere.

If its so good why ar'nt the Japs/Asians selling E85 cars here???
Old 05-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #12
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its peanuts like you why i hate LPG
Old 05-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seems to be a running theme with this bloke right across this forum,if its not something he has /believes in, then then its crap
6 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just sayin....... Luckily Ford never wasted their time with it and went with the EcoLpi.
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #15
Itsme
Experienced Member

E85 is probably like LPG, not every one want to use it.

EcoLPi will be dead in a few years, wait & see.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #16
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

plenty of E85 pumps around

Old 05-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #17
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just like your and everyone else's granddad. Do you have beaded seat covers too?
Old 05-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
you got that right...
http://www.flexfuelkit.com.au/articl...el-/Page1.html

just Caltex in link

other links for united are around aswell.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't see many e85 servos on the north side of melb, I saw one the other day for the first time in a long time........... got me thinking how few I see,
it's a bit of a contradiction if it's cheaper but at the same time you need more of it to go the same distance.
I'd rather lpg anytime.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I think it's a flop. Seriously how many cars do you think regularly run it. It wouldn't be many.

Holden spent millions making the Commode E85 compatible and i'd take a guess that less than 1% would run it on it. Total WOFTAM. Costaka went into partnership with GM to make ethanol from rubbish but it was a total bust and never went ahead.

It's good for making power in blown cars but beyond the power gains there is nothing else it has going for it, it won't save you money nor be better for the environment.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The Caltex one isnt consistent with its ethanol content, people reporting its anywhere from 70%-85%, hard to tune for it in that case.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #22
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

The Pub strikes again. There isn't a specific E85 Commodore model. They all run E85.

I feed my SS E85 (United), I like the stuff. It's much cheaper than 98, which probably ends up balancing out with the increased fuel consumption, but I'm not using it to save money. The car goes harder (and even sounds better) on the stuff, the exhaust tips don't carbon up like they do with 98, the exhaust fumes smell sweet like sugar which is hilarious and it's better for the environment. I have a United closeby so it's a no-brainer for me.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I think it's a flop. Seriously how many cars do you think regularly run it. It wouldn't be many.

Holden spent millions making the Commode E85 compatible and i'd take a guess that less than 1% would run it on it. Total WOFTAM. Costaka went into partnership with GM to make ethanol from rubbish but it was a total bust and never went ahead.

It's good for making power in blown cars but beyond the power gains there is nothing else it has going for it, it won't save you money nor be better for the environment.
Exactly, same as methanol.....Great for the drag strip but for 'normal' daily driving it is useless. Only hi comp engines benefit from it.

And as I said how come Toyota/Honda/Mazda and the rest hav'nt gone anywhere near it??? Its been five years now it should have taken over petrol if it was worth it....
Old 05-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #24
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

keep blowing that rusty trumpet dude
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #25
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
keep blowing that rusty trumpet dude
Well I just think its great that the Holden product didn't work and all the sheep didn't flock to it like it was some miracle from mars lol!

If Abbott actually goes ahead with his LPG industry development scheme you just might see some proper, money saving, cleaner burning cars from the big 3 very soon???
Old 05-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #26
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden commodore was not E85, some models were flex fuel, meaning they could take a wide range of ethanol fuels and run correctly tune wise and the fuel system would not deteriorate, the flex fuel commodore was not just about having ethanol fuel here but allowed them to export their cars that high ethanol content fuels.
Any engine that is knock limited by design will benefit form the higher octane when tuned to suit and increase it's power

3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #27
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Reckon at least 100km from me to find one and I am hot exactly in the boonies. 1.5 hours from Melbourne airport
Old 05-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well I just think its great that the Holden product didn't work and all the sheep didn't flock to it like it was some miracle from mars lol!

If Abbott actually goes ahead with his LPG industry development scheme you just might see some proper, money saving, cleaner burning cars from the big 3 very soon???
see ratters post, read it s l o w l y

in between pauses, punch yourself in the head

i hope Abbots plan doesnt get up, so people like you can no longer afford to run their cars

and have to catch stinky buses to centerlink
3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #29
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Reckon at least 100km from me to find one and I am hot exactly in the boonies. 1.5 hours from Melbourne airport

what area?

http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/united/find-a-store

Old 05-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #30
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
No offence McNews but you are aloooong way outta town.......Lucky you up ther away from all the traffic!

What I am saying is even in metro Melbs ther are stuff all E85 pumps.....E10 yes but why even bother?

What I am trying to say is this apparent new 'enviro friendly' fuel has fallen off a cliff......Five years is along time and its still not popular amongst the masses.
Closed Thread