Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-06-2006, 11:46 PM   #1
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Default Tranny cooler for an AU

Hi All,

Cars due for a service very shortly and while it's getting done we would like to have a tranny cooler installed.

I've been looking around for them new or second hand, but I really have no idea of what I should be looking for (especially in size) and how much they're worth second hand.

The car is driven quite gently, just hoping to get more life out of the gearbox!

Has anyone got a tranny cooler on their AU, if so any advice would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Justin.

private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 01:54 AM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can get them from supercheap.. made my PWR
or older falcons/fairlanes had them standard (ZL fairlane etc) but were only small
Old 24-06-2006, 02:11 AM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Just get the biggest one you can. I have V8 rated ones on both my 6 and 8. They're about 350mm by 250mm. And only cost around $100 brand new.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 02:25 AM   #4
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

They can still be bought from FORD dealers NEW
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf
They can still be bought from FORD dealers NEW
Ford never released an external tranny cooler for AU. Maybe some dealers sell aftermarket coolers, but there is no listing in the parts catalogue for a genuine cooler.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 12:36 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Can trasmission fluid be too cold? What would happen if that was the case?

I'm thinking here of those old Ford Trucks with the cover over the grille in Winter! Wonder if the same applied to large tranny coolers.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Can trasmission fluid be too cold? What would happen if that was the case?

I'm thinking here of those old Ford Trucks with the cover over the grille in Winter! Wonder if the same applied to large tranny coolers.

GK
Were they diesel powered trucks? Diesels do run cooler than petrol engines & take longer to warm up.
As for being too cold, I guess if you fit a large enough cooler it may run cold enough to affect shift quality etc.
Old 24-06-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Just get the biggest one you can. I have V8 rated ones on both my 6 and 8. They're about 350mm by 250mm. And only cost around $100 brand new.
There is another thread on this, cant find it though! I have been told if you go too big it restricts airflow to the radiator. Hence the engine heats up?
Old 24-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperau
There is another thread on this, cant find it though! I have been told if you go too big it restricts airflow to the radiator. Hence the engine heats up?
Don't know wabout that. The air flows through the trans cooler then the radiator. My engine temp in both cars sits on the N all day every day.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 24-06-2006, 11:47 PM   #10
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Cool. Are there any side effects of having a tranny cooler fitted? Won't be going massive, was thinking around the size that you have JC.
Old 25-06-2006, 12:50 AM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

The only side affect is that your transmission runs cooler and lasts longer & your engine runs slightly cooler and the thermos don't come on as often.

I bypassed the radiator altoghether when I fitted mine, as the brass/copper lines they use inside the radiator tend to break down over time, blocking the lines to the transmission, so most trannie places recemmoned this method. You can sdtill fit it in-line if you want, but there is little benefit in doing so.

I was worried that the transmission would overheat in stop/start traffic in summer, but apparently, the transmission oilk runs at a higher temp than the radiator anyway, so when the thermos kick in to cool down the radiator when there is reduced airflow (from the car not moving), this also cools the trans cooler down, but it hasn't even reached anywhere near its critical temperature.

One of mine is a K&J Thermal unit, the other is made by PWR. Both are roughly the same size, and the transmission tunnel doesn't even get warm any more.

Try this link:
http://www.pwr-performance.com/cooler.htm
Mine is the $99 one (11" by 10")

Old 25-06-2006, 06:06 PM   #12
FUQNDV8
Starter Motor

Anyone that has a ford auto from the 90,s onwards should bypass the cooler in the radiator and just run a aftermarket tranny cooler. The EF and EL had a problem of the cooler in the radiator would start to have brass flaking off and stuffing up the tranny or the cooler slowly blowing up in size till it started to leak. the AU,s have the same blowing up problem. You wont over cool the oil so the bigger the cooler the better. PWR from Supercheap are good for the money and the Drivetech ( Canadian ) ones cool very well. Never use the ones you can see the round copper pipes running back and forth through the fine alloy fins. They do not cool as well. I wouldnt use the plastic ties to put the cooler straight onto your radiator or air con condenser. Better to make brackets up so it clears by about 1cm. You can pick up cheap ones on e-bay all the time meaning you wont pay more than $30 delivered. My last one cost $16 delivered. If you cut the auto lines use a small pipe cutter and never a hack saw. You dont want little bits of steel in your auto fluid. If you go looking for the right fittings have fun they are a very odd thread.
FUQNDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #13
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Thanks for the advice all!! Looks like I might go with the PWR unit that JC mentioned and bypass the radiator all together. If I'm feeling brave on the day, I might even give installation a go, but I am particularly special when it comes to these things so it'll probably end up with the mechanic!!
Old 25-06-2006, 07:37 PM   #14
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
Ford never released an external tranny cooler for AU. Maybe some dealers sell aftermarket coolers, but there is no listing in the parts catalogue for a genuine cooler.
Interesting to note, if the AUIII XR8's autos had "High Capacity Transmission Oil Coolers" fitted as standard.

On that note Papa Smurf, would they have been those ones as fitted to the AUIII XR8's, or aftermarket?
Old 25-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #15
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Interesting to note, if the AUIII XR8's autos had "High Capacity Transmission Oil Coolers" fitted as standard.

On that note Papa Smurf, would they have been those ones as fitted to the AUIII XR8's, or aftermarket?
Is it an external cooler from radiator cooler?
Or is it the external engine oil cooler you are thinking of.
I work at a Ford dealer & I looked up on Microcat for an external trans cooler for my AU XR a couple of weeks ago & there was no listing. We have never fitted a genuine dealer fit auto cooler because the has never been on availiable. We could have fitted hundreds of them, we are a country dealer, high proportion of customers tow.
Old 26-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have been running a PWR unit in the ute ... I got the Heavy Duty unit ... slightly larger than the V8 version from memory.

And I can tell you it has made a hell of a difference (especially when towing and carrying heavy load) .. also when punishing the ute when doing courier work in Sydney ... i am finding that slippage is less ... heat is much less through the floor/tunnel ... and fluid is lasting a lot longer (not breaking down as quick). Shifting is more positive.

Cold morning it takes the same time to warm up as it did previously ... still shifted fine thie morning at -5 deg ... and the ute was parked outside all night as well ... I had 3mm of ice ALL over the ute too.

It's a cheap mod that extends the life of your auto ... it's well worth the money getting one.

Engine temps are running the same as they did prior to getting one ... it does sit over a section of the radiator ... but that hasn't really made a difference.

For all auto owners ... it is a worthy mod for transmission longevity.

I run the PWR kit ... I rang Ford and they told me they don't have an oil cooler for the AU as there was no need for one ... I just laughed at the parts guy.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #17
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

AUXRVIII it appeared in the brochure - extract provided.

Might have been a bit of misinformation in the brochure.
Old 26-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #18
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Do the aftermarket coolers fit onto manuals, and is it worth putting one on?

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #19
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No worries, thanks.
Old 26-06-2006, 08:54 PM   #20
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm glad this thread come up, I'm planning on towing the caravan to QLD in october & I will be fitting a trans cooler along with a new radiator, looks like the PWR unit will be the way to go. I will also bypass the auto cooler in the radiator to help keep engine temp down & have a cooler auto.
Old 26-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #21
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Thanks all, really great advice!

While we're on the topic of cooling, does anyone see any value in adding an engine oil cooler? It's just a standard 6...
Old 26-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #22
Rosscoe
AU/BA

I'm glad this post came up too. This is just what I'm after, as I was planning to fit one before summer. I have a couple of questions howerver:
1. FUQNDV8 - I had a look on ebay and couldn't find the brackets, do you have a link?
2. Had a look in the Tech Resources for how to do this installation, couldn't find, does anyone have a how-to on this? or a link to somewhere, or does the PWR kit come with instructions?
3. Does anybody know if BA's are blessed with this problem as well?
Cheers Rosscoe
Rosscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #23
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

PWR kit comes with understandable instructions.

Ford doesn't cover the B-series warranty if an aftermarket transmission cooler is fitted. Although the Territory AWD came standard with one (the only Falcon-based I6 that has one).

If it is done properly though ... I don't see there being an issue at all. AFAIK the B-series used the radiator like the A-series anyway ... so it should still be installed in a similar fashion.

Just be careful with the condensor/radiator when installing the oil cooler ... don't want a damaged condensor/radiator.

Oh .. if you do it yourself ... expect no skin on your knuckles afterwards :
The condensor is like a cheese grater.
Old 27-06-2006, 08:27 AM   #24
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Stupid bloody dealers. I checked with three dealers for a "Ford" cooler and they all said:
1. Ford didn't sell one.
2. You fit one under warranty and the auto goes south for ANY reason, Ford will blame the cooler ..
So my ute doesn't have one and I tow cars on trailers with it. I wonder how much longer it will last?
Rod.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #25
Rosscoe
AU/BA

JC,
Had a look at that PWR cooler site and that kit comes with 5/8" hose fittings, and I assume 5/8" hose, is that the correct size to match up with the AU pipes?, or should they be 3/8" as the EL's are.
Cheers Rosscoe
Old 27-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

There are options for different fitting sizes ... i can't remember though.
I have a pic of the kit (sitting on the floor) i fitted to my AU.

Old 27-06-2006, 03:57 PM   #27
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Stupid bloody dealers. I checked with three dealers for a "Ford" cooler and they all said:
1. Ford didn't sell one.
2. You fit one under warranty and the auto goes south for ANY reason, Ford will blame the cooler ..
So my ute doesn't have one and I tow cars on trailers with it. I wonder how much longer it will last?
Rod.
How ridiculous! Could that possibly be because fitting a trans cooler will extend the life of the transmission and it therefore won't cark it a month after the new car warranty expires...
Old 27-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #28
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Nope ... it's in regards to fittings and hoses failing ... and the transmission haemoraging all of its fluid ... and the transmission running completely dry and failing.
Hence not being covered under warranty.
Old 27-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #29
Rosscoe
AU/BA

Thanks for the Pic, what size fittings and hose did you use, 3/8 or 5/8?
Cheers Rosscoe
Old 27-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #30
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Nope ... it's in regards to fittings and hoses failing ... and the transmission haemoraging all of its fluid ... and the transmission running completely dry and failing.
Hence not being covered under warranty.
Cool, well there you go then!