Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
stoodoo
Falcon R.I.P. 1960 - 2016

Default Info on gasket leak

Hey guys, I have a small but annoying oil leak, between the timing chain cover and cylinder head/cylinder block area. I pulled off the power steering pump brackets hoping that it would just be a leaking tensioner, but it wasn't. I have read two contradicting pieces of info, the first being that if you take the timing cover off, you need to take off the cylinder head and drop the sump to replace all the seals. The second bit of info I read (and was told by Ford service dept) was that you do not need to drop the sump or remove the cylinder head to replace the gaskets. Has anyone removed their timing covers and replaced gaskets, without dropping their sumps and removing cylinder heads? Advice appreciated.

Cheers

stoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 
Default Re: Info on gasket leak

Standard Falcon mate
You need to pull the radiator to make room to pull the harmonic balancer.
Then you need to pull the chain tensioner.
Then you need to drop the sump about 1/4 inch at the front to release the pressure.
Then you can take the timing cover off.

Rockerbox is optional if you want to see a bit better, head definitely does not need to come off!!!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
stoodoo
Falcon R.I.P. 1960 - 2016

Thanks for the reply, I've bought a specific au/ba falcon harmonic balancer puller for this job, so I hopefully won't need to remove the radiator.
stoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is a cheat that often works you will need to remove all the bolt ons from the front of the engine then grind a hacksaw blade into a hooked end and scrape out the old gasket clean with metho till all oil is gone then squirt black or blue silicone ( the good high temp gasket one ) into the gap. leave at least 12 hours before starting the engine. this works most of the time providing you do a good job of cleaning up

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I need to sort out an oil leak from the timing cover to the head.
Looking around for a ford specific puller, which hopefully a good tool shop will have.
My question is, does an specific installation tool need to be used to get the balancer back on? or did you just torque the bolt back on?
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I need to sort out an oil leak from the timing cover to the head.
Looking around for a ford specific puller, which hopefully a good tool shop will have.
My question is, does an specific installation tool need to be used to get the balancer back on? or did you just torque the bolt back on?
i already had a general purpose harmonic remover , and it did`nt do the job(get the harmonic off), it needs the claw type legs that face inwards towards the bolt, i ended up fabricating some new legs for the puller,

you should be able to pull it back on with the bolt, just make sure it`s on the keyway..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i already had a general purpose harmonic remover , and it did`nt do the job(get the harmonic off), it needs the claw type legs that face inwards towards the bolt, i ended up fabricating some new legs for the puller,

you should be able to pull it back on with the bolt, just make sure it`s on the keyway..
Thanks for your reply. I found a shop in the local area selling ford spec pullers for $190. I figured I have damaged enough things in the past by using the wrong tool - knowing my luck I'll end up pulling the thing out of shape with the wrong puller.
I'll try wind the bolt back in by hand first on reassembly. Bit nervous about snapping the bolt with the impact.
Anyway will let you know how I go.
Old 24-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #8
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

Just a bit of reassurance for you - my preferred method is to tap the balancer back on lightly with a lump hammer, screw the bolt in by hand, and then hit it with a rattle gun. Works every time!
Old 22-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Just an update. Didn't end up doing the timing cover. I just sealed up the corners where the cover meets the head.
The leak was mainly coming from the sump and dip stick tube. So spent two days replacing the sump gasket, dip stick o ring - did the intake manifold gasket and water pump whilst I was at it.
A blessing in disguise was my neighbour who came out to complain about the noise the air compressor was making. It forced me to put all the front suspension back with a torque wrench. After I reset the alignment, the thing is as straight as an arrow. Feels like a new car. With the same alignment setting previously, it used to pull ever so slightly to the left, so it must of been different tensions in the various components.
Old 23-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good stuff mate, so has that eliminated your oil leaks completly?
Old 23-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Touch wood, but yes, I am temporarily a lucky owner of an AU that does not leak - air, water or oil. About two years ago, I did the rocker gasket and the rear main, so I am hoping it will be trouble free for another 100,000k.

I will post up some pics once I cut them down to size.
Old 24-03-2012, 01:42 AM   #12
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Here are some photos. The leak from the dip stick tube was blowing all over the block. You can see it once the intake manifold was removed.

For 200000k and only changing the oil every 15000km, it didn't look that bad at all. Fairly impressed - was using Castrol 15-40w, but with this job I just bouight some cheaper oil - Gulf Western 10-30w. Was going to flush it out, but thought just to leave it for another 15000km.....if it aint broke....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Intake.JPG (135.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg sump1.JPG (125.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg sump2.JPG (124.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg crank and bearings2.JPG (93.5 KB, 90 views)
Old 24-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #13
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

The most time consuming task was cleaning up the surfaces.

Old 24-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni
Here are some photos. The leak from the dip stick tube was blowing all over the block. You can see it once the intake manifold was removed.

For 200000k and only changing the oil every 15000km, it didn't look that bad at all. Fairly impressed - was using Castrol 15-40w, but with this job I just bouight some cheaper oil - Gulf Western 10-30w. Was going to flush it out, but thought just to leave it for another 15000km.....if it aint broke....
good job mate, good pics too.