Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 26-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
guscorty

Default Burnout

Hi Everyone,
Silly question on my part but whats the proper way to do the water burnout on the start line. I've been flooring it in first, with a quick change to second with no use of the brakes. A mate of mine was watching on Sunday and said that I was over reving and not getting enough heat in the tyres, and what I should be doing is start with foot on the brake, go for it, ease off on the brake, don't over rev and creep up o the line. Ive got drums on the rear with front discs and a C4 box. I'm also running the M/T Street Et's. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers

guscorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 
Default Re: Burnout

Start in 2nd, and when you see smoke start moving out untill you feel it starting to grip then back off.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

What I do, which may be incorrect but so far its working is stop in the waterbox. Select 1st, hold the brake and ease into the throttle until it spins up and hits boost, and bang it into 3rd. Get off the brake and power burnout up to a few feet before the beams.

I cant actually manage to hold it in the one spot once it comes on so i just ride it out and ease off the throttle to avoid it hopping once it hooks.

http://youtu.be/gVAP63jnw-c
This user likes this post:
Old 28-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
guscorty

Thanks for the replies Guys.
Cheers
guscorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do similar to Psi . Start on brakes and ease throttle until traction brakes then Full throttle , shift 2nd then 3rd and then off brakes and power out . Et Streets .

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
daryle
Old drag racer

Geez 35 years ago we used line lockers which locked the front brakes and left the rears alone. If you can't get some heat into the rear tires with that setup then? Seriously without knowing your gearing/rim/tire setup this is very hard to answer.
daryle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #7
marcuss

Tip. Get a friend to guide you up to the front of the water box. If you start your burnout at the back of the box, water could spray on to your inner guards which will then drip onto your tyres as you move towards the line and sit in stage.
marcuss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
dirty

I start in 2nd, stall it on the footbrake and as soon as I let the brake off it will spin up and you have to slam top (3rd) as it hits boost. I don't bother using the brake, 6500 in top gear will smoke the bags pretty quick, then straight to stage. Car has C4 and 9" with 3.7's, running Hoosier drag radials.
dirty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Starlightblue

yep straight into top. With ET streets I think they prefer a smaller burnout

I get a mate to look at the mark that it leaves on the ground coming out of the water and depending on colour and evenness of the mark we adjust pressures to suit
Old 01-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alot of American 10.5 or street racers drive thru the water with a very quick stab to get the tyres wet then stop 10 feet out of the water box and do there burnout procedure there.
mex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post