Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Newby Drag Racing

I am thinking of taking my XC coupe to WSID on a Sunday for the street drags.

I don't have an overflow bottle as from factory. There is a hose which is connected to the radiator and sends overflow behind the passenger guard and onto the road.

Can anyone tell me if this is acceptable or would I have to fit an overflow bottle to pass muster?

GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Newby Drag Racing

All you usually need to do is plumb that line into a 600 ml Coke bottle or something similar
Old 11-03-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the reply.

The real question I'm asking is whether it is compulsory to have an overflow bottle (coke bottle or otherwise)?
Old 11-03-2014, 05:25 AM   #4
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep will be as they don't want any fluids on the racing surface
Old 12-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
guscorty

I've have what jd dad has suggested. I drilled a hole into the screw top of a plastic gatorade bottle and inserted the overflow line into the top and cable tied the bottle to the engine bay. Just keep your eye on the water level in the bottle through out the day.
guscorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys. Gatorade bottle did the trick. I had a blast and am hooked despite throwing a belt on my third pass!

Lots of wheel spin off the line. I had 15 x 10 street tyres.

If I was to run semi slicks next time, what size wheel tyre combo is recommended? I have an old set of 15 x 7 globes I could use just for drag days. Would they do?
Old 07-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

15s and you will have a endless choice of tyres to run, you dont want a semi slick though that's designed for circuit racing, completely different behavior to what you want.

A 15x7 is able to have a 255 MT ET street mounted so you can still run a radial front tyre. If you run have a true drag slick on the rear you will need to have cross ply front tires to run safely.