Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Closed Thread

Old 27-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default But my setup has run over 100 passes!!

A few times at the drags when shooting the breeze with people about their cars they say they have run their setup for over 100 passes??

Are they trying to say its some sort of reliable / tough setup? If a street registered car what sort of statement is that? 100 passes is equivalent to under 50km.. And they would only do 5-6 passes max on a particular night. (Not Counting the return trip that is done at 10km/h) so it isn't back to back.

Isn't that sort of statement a little silly to confirm their setup as reliable?

Would one pass be tougher on the car than driving a whole week doing daily duties? Or driving 100km up the highway in one run? Most cars do 200000km before giving up so why would 100 passes down the quarter mile mean much?

What is the relevance of this statement?

Old 27-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: But my setup has run over 100 passes!!

100 full power launches. Think about it. Sheesh.
5 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
prasac
Banned

the more you stress the engine, the more you stress the engine. Think about it like this, it takes slow dripping water millions of years to form a mountain/rock face, now go get a high cleaner n blast it at the rocks, bet ya doesn't take a high pressure water blaster millions of years to form the rock!
4 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw a rock once...
This user likes this post:
Old 27-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I have a rock that keeps tigers away. I will sell it to you Hulk.
Old 27-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
HULK_I6T
Banned

Hmmm

so if you buy a bog stock brand new falcon and after you have run it, you then run it down the quarter for a hundred passes, your saying this car with 50km on it is worse than a car driven for million of years? Lol

a new ford would have almost no wear after 100 passes but people try and carry on about their used cars that have run 100 passes. They carry it round like a badge of honour that their car has held together.. its funny isnt it. 50km use..lol
Old 27-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
Work Horse
Budget Racer

I want my sixty seconds back!
Old 27-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
nstg8a

I normally don't mind the normal hulk threads but this ones all sort of stupid.

Especially in high powered cars 1/4 mile runs are brutal on cars, they either get no warm up time, or sit in the staging lanes for hours with heat soak running amuck

Then you do a (not so little) burnout to heat up those street tyres (mostly unnecessarily), stall it up on the brakes and wait for an eternity for the dude in the other lane to stage, then mash the accelerator on the last yellow keeping it absolutely pegged for at least 400m then it's the exact opposite, hard on the brakes (those nice cold brakes that haven't done anything in maybe hours) to make the exit lane turn...

Then make your way back to the staging lanes and repeat....

Yup, nowhere near as brutal as daily driving.
Old 27-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
HULK_I6T
Banned

No doubt its hard on the car but for 10-15 seconds?

So running a pass down the quarter mile = how many daily drive km?

also what is the conversion to police km? Lol
Old 27-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I think i'm actually dumber for reading this thread.
Old 27-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

If the car is stock or near stock I see no real stress on engine or trans, but start adding 100 plus pony's to a engine that wasn't built for it then the stress will up............Simples

Wear and tear on drive line is another story, use my car as an example: 74000km on the od has done a little over 300 passes in eight years.......now on my 5th clutch and broke two T5 gear boxes before I found a well priced (used) T56 conversion.............If this car never saw a drag strip It would most certainly still have the same clutch and gear box it left Broadmedows with way back in 2002.
With 3.9 Gears:.......12.40@112.5mph, still trying!
Tune by XFT
Old 27-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #12
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito View Post
Hmmm

so if you buy a bog stock brand new falcon and after you have run it, you then run it down the quarter for a hundred passes, your saying this car with 50km on it is worse than a car driven for million of years? Lol

a new ford would have almost no wear after 100 passes but people try and carry on about their used cars that have run 100 passes. They carry it round like a badge of honour that their car has held together.. its funny isnt it. 50km use..lol
Then why did you never take your supercharged XR8 to the drags? According to you it wouldn't affect it mechanically....

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Old 27-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #13
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGAU3220 View Post
If the car is stock or near stock I see no real stress on engine or trans, but start adding 100 plus pony's to a engine that wasn't built for it then the stress will up............Simples

pretty much hit the nail on the head.. stock cars are built to take a bit of punishment.. they can even handle the police treatment which is worse than any drag strip can dish up.

But modded cars struggle to hold together for even 100 passes or 50km of work. Not many modded cars would handle what the police would dish up.
Old 27-03-2014, 11:48 PM   #14
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
Then why did you never take your supercharged XR8 to the drags? According to you it wouldn't affect it mechanically....
No my point is just the opposite.. modded cars arent built reliably and cant match stock cars for taking a beating. Even running 100 passes (or 50km flat chat) shouldnt be a badge of honour validating mods..
Old 28-03-2014, 12:03 AM   #15
Grippy

Quote:
No my point is just the opposite.. modded cars arent built reliably and cant match stock cars for taking a beating. Even running 100 passes (or 50km flat chat) shouldnt be a badge of honour validating mods..
It's the extra load sticky tyres, more power and torque make. What exactly is your point?

Old 28-03-2014, 12:09 AM   #16
AGRO
KB TECH SUPPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
It's the extra load sticky tyres, more power and torque make. What exactly is your point?
To make up stupid threads to get his post count up, what else!
-------------------------------------------
Hp & Money...It's Never Enough.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2014, 01:17 AM   #17
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not trying to be mean Hulk, but you must have zero mechanical aptitude.

Next time you are at the drags, stand right where cars launch and watch. Watch and think about what is actually happening through the driveline, down to the tyres and onto the track.

Inertia vs force is literally trying to break every single link in the chain that takes revolutions of the engine crank to forward motion of the vehicle.
Old 28-03-2014, 01:35 AM   #18
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe you could attend here & show us all?
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11414409
Old 28-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #19
HULK_I6T
Banned

My point is some people will run their cars for a mid 10 but next pass blow up the motor.. is that really a 10 second car if it was lucky to hold together the first pass??

even after a hundred passes i wouldnt call it a 10 second car until it proves itself reliable.. not after one lucky pass. (It needs a few years of trouble free km under a variety of conditions)
Old 28-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #20
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits View Post
Maybe you could attend here & show us all?
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11414409
Id love to attend.. this event is perfect to illustrate my point. Some people will rock up claiming 10s or even 9s. Then break the car on the 2nd pass. Hardly a 10 second car if it cant hold together for a weekend.
Old 28-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #21
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I think i'm actually dumber for reading this thread.
I too have been endumbed by the Hulk.
Old 28-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #22
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Id love to attend.. this event is perfect to illustrate my point. Some people will rock up claiming 10s or even 9s. Then break the car on the 2nd pass. Hardly a 10 second car if it cant hold together for a weekend.
Some people will drive across Australia, run 10.0 dropping the clutch at 6000rpm WOT and then drive home.

You still call that reliable?... No you call it a pie-cooker that overheats and breaks down.

Brain at 98% and falling
4 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #23
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600 View Post
Some people will drive across Australia, run 10.0 dropping the clutch at 6000rpm WOT and then drive home.

You still call that reliable?... No you call it a pie-cooker that overheats and breaks down.

Brain at 98% and falling
yours might be reliable but most dont spend your sort of coin to get it sticking together.

more than a few cars turn up every year to the drag nats for 1 or 2 passes to then be towed away. its crazy isnt it?
Old 28-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #24
Parfrey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if 100 passes isn't reliable in the hulk world... what is?
Doing 100,000km of street driving won't prove anything, you could do that in a 600kw car with a stock driveline as long as you don't put your foot down.
Old 28-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #25
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
6 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #26
Grippy

Quote:
yours might be reliable but most dont spend your sort of coin to get it sticking together.

more than a few cars turn up every year to the drag nats for 1 or 2 passes to then be towed away. its crazy isnt it?
What are you trying to prove Hulk? Or are you just trying to insult forum members here who enjoy modifying their cars and using them on a drag strip? It's their choice and you're in no position to be calling them crazy.

Old 28-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #27
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

LOL

Old 28-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #28
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
A few times at the drags when shooting the breeze with people about their cars they say they have run their setup for over 100 passes??

Are they trying to say its some sort of reliable / tough setup? If a street registered car what sort of statement is that? 100 passes is equivalent to under 50km.. And they would only do 5-6 passes max on a particular night. (Not Counting the return trip that is done at 10km/h) so it isn't back to back.

Isn't that sort of statement a little silly to confirm their setup as reliable?

Would one pass be tougher on the car than driving a whole week doing daily duties? Or driving 100km up the highway in one run? Most cars do 200000km before giving up so why would 100 passes down the quarter mile mean much?

What is the relevance of this statement?
What they are trying to say is that the car is being used waaaaaaay beyond its intended purpose and they have managed to keep it screwed together to run it 100+ times without it spilling its guts.

Driving a car daily at normal restricted speeds without taking off at WOT at every set of lights - is within its intended purpose. One would expect that with regular servicing and maintenance - you would see 2 - 300,000 Klms - Is that reliable - YES - is it expected - YES.

Is thrashing the $%^& out of your car at the drags its intended purpose - NO ( unless you have extensively modified it to suit ). Is 100 passes with mostly stock parts reliable - YOUBETCHYA. Its also a good measure on which aftermarket parts work better than others when coupled with other parts etc etc.
Old 28-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #29
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post

Is thrashing the $%^& out of your car at the drags its intended purpose - NO ( unless you have extensively modified it to suit ). Is 100 passes with mostly stock parts reliable - YOUBETCHYA. Its also a good measure on which aftermarket parts work better than others when coupled with other parts etc etc.
where does ford (or other manufacturers) define the cars intended purpose? If the car has 5 seats and you use one is that using it outside its intended purpose? of course not as they build the car for many scenarios including flogging the beejebaas out of it, towing, loading, motorsport etc etc. So 100 passes on stock parts will likely prove reliable.

however, If your intended purpose is drags and full throttle launches then why mod the car to not be able to reliably handle this scenario?? funny isnt it?

100 passes is no test for reliability.
Old 28-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #30
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cause 100 passes in a stock car would probably get pretty boring after a while.

It's an educated risk, not everyone has the money to do power AND a bullet proof driveline.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Closed Thread