Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Closed Thread

Old 28-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #31
rednose
RNS10S

Default Re: But my setup has run over 100 passes!!

So where does that leave me???

400+ rwkw, standard engine ((appart from valvesprings (Hi Mick)), standard zf driven daily (500+ klms per week) over 150 passes has run over 100 low to flat 11 sec passes and 3 10 sec passes.

Is my car a reliable 10 sec car???

I'm confused...........
PTE6235 - 11.0 @ 135 on Nitto Invos - 10.4 @ 140 on ET Radials
4 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #32
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito View Post
where does ford (or other manufacturers) define the cars intended purpose? If the car has 5 seats and you use one is that using it outside its intended purpose? of course not as they build the car for many scenarios including flogging the beejebaas out of it, towing, loading, motorsport etc etc. So 100 passes on stock parts will likely prove reliable.

however, If your intended purpose is drags and full throttle launches then why mod the car to not be able to reliably handle this scenario?? funny isnt it?

100 passes is no test for reliability.
Warranty is a good measure of intended use by the manufacturer

A small excerpt taken from the Global Ford Warranty Fusion program

WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED
WARRANTY?
Damage Caused By:
accidents, collision or objects striking the vehicle (including driving
through a car wash)

theft, vandalism, or riot

fire or explosion

using contaminated or improper fuel/fluids

customer-applied chemicals or accidental spills

driving through water deep enough to cause water to be ingested into
the engine

misuse of the vehicle, such a driving over curbs, overloading, racing or

using the vehicle as a permanent stationary power source

You play - you pay - they need to prove it of course - but I reckon it pretty much sums it up.

At the end of the day - they are passenger cars designed for moderate use and they have limitations. You exceed them and things break. 100+ passes at the drag strip would be construed as racing and as such would void your warranty on driveline damage because its outside of the vehicle's intended use.
Old 28-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #33
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
So where does that leave me???

400+ rwkw, standard engine ((appart from valvesprings (Hi Mick)), standard zf driven daily (500+ klms per week) over 150 passes has run over 100 low to flat 11 sec passes and 3 10 sec passes.

Is my car a reliable 10 sec car???

I'm confused...........
Yours is a sweet machine, ive seen it in action!!

But theres more than a few out there that wouldnt go a few passes without breaking something.
Old 28-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #34
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't understand what point you are trying to make in any of your threads Benito/hulk but they do make for an interesting read
Old 29-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #35
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

'Reliable' cars break down on the street too. Some parts can let go without any warning or symptoms leading to a failure.
Drag strips are very hard on a cars driveline and suspension, so 100 passes is a solid effort for a strip car.
However, I think calling it reliable or not is inaccurate term. If an individual has taken their car for over 100 passes, they would likely be an enthusiast who works on and loves their car.
To me it would be a testament to the owners dedication and knowledge of their vehicle, and how well they look after it.

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Exhaust, intake, cam & lowered.
This user likes this post:
Old 30-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #36
gurujosh

I'm confused
Old 30-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #37
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
yours might be reliable but most dont spend your sort of coin to get it sticking together.

more than a few cars turn up every year to the drag nats for 1 or 2 passes to then be towed away. its crazy isnt it?
you just answered your own thread, 2 passes then towed.

or setup has run 100 passes "reliable"
Old 30-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #38
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

My fg turbo has done over 500 passes since I bought it 3yrs ago (over 100 with worn valve springs running 20psi) then driving to and from work everyday and the occasional run to Newcastle to see family.
That is a testimony to joe at CMS Sydney for the way he's tuned and built the car, not because of the factory parts in it.

I don't spool up on the start line until my opponent is in full stage (that helps both the driveline and gearbox from turning into a pretzel as well as wasting my fuel) that comes down to experience. Same as getting off it when I know there's a problem.

Drag racing puts stress on any car stock or built (check out any top fuel or alcohol videos to see that) it's how you manage that stress that determines how long components last for.
Old 30-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #39
PALE ALE

Quote:
A few times at the drags when shooting the breeze with people about their cars they say they have run their setup for over 100 passes??

Are they trying to say its some sort of reliable / tough setup? If a street registered car what sort of statement is that? 100 passes is equivalent to under 50km.. And they would only do 5-6 passes max on a particular night. (Not Counting the return trip that is done at 10km/h) so it isn't back to back.

Isn't that sort of statement a little silly to confirm their setup as reliable?

Would one pass be tougher on the car than driving a whole week doing daily duties? Or driving 100km up the highway in one run? Most cars do 200000km before giving up so why would 100 passes down the quarter mile mean much?

What is the relevance of this statement?
You may have heard this saying at the drags" Fast, Cheap and reliable...you can only choose two" One day you may understand this saying
Old 30-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #40
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

For someone who doesn't race you've got a lot of very misinformed opinions on it.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
Old 30-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #41
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
For someone who doesn't race you've got a lot of very misinformed opinions on it.

Old 31-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #42
XR8menace
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE ALE View Post
You may have heard this saying at the drags" Fast, Cheap and reliable...you can only choose two" One day you may understand this saying
I doubt he will.....
Old 31-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #43
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
Not really.. if these cars were reliable with 50%+ more power/torque than factory (more in some cases) wouldnt ford release them that way and provide warranty?

i acknowledge that their reliability is compromised when pushing the cars power output levels and drive them with consideration to have them last.

case in point my old centri charged xr8. Never had a mechanical issue with it, because i didnt drive beyond its boundaries.. many others with similar outputs are bending rods and burning pistons.. who is it that doesnt understand their cars limits?
Old 31-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #44
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE ALE View Post
i do understand very well. Case in point my old centri charged xr8.. never had an issue, built properly and driven within its limits.

Ive read too many threads about bent rods or burnt pistons and the owner scratching their heads as to why? Maybe they dont fully understand.
Old 31-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #45
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You spent a butt load of money on a car you never used other than for a topic to chat about online.

That to me is the biggest waste of money.

I would rather build it, enjoy it, see what it can do, and perhaps break it, than sit around talking about what it "could" do on the internet
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #46
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not really.. if these cars were reliable with 50%+ more power/torque than factory (more in some cases) wouldnt ford release them that way and provide warranty?

i acknowledge that their reliability is compromised when pushing the cars power output levels and drive them with consideration to have them last.

case in point my old centri charged xr8. Never had a mechanical issue with it, because i didnt drive beyond its boundaries.. many others with similar outputs are bending rods and burning pistons.. who is it that doesnt understand their cars limits?
That's a terrible argument, then they would be even less cost efficient, not that it matters anymore.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Old 31-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #47
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
is that really a 10 second car if it was lucky to hold together the first pass??
Yes.

</thread>
Old 31-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #48
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i do understand very well. Case in point my old centri charged xr8.. never had an issue, built properly and driven within its limits.

Ive read too many threads about bent rods or burnt pistons and the owner scratching their heads as to why? Maybe they dont fully understand.
So why did you modify the engine to make more power if you're not going to use it ?
Old 31-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #49
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Can we get this thread moved to the pub, bar or just deleted?
Old 31-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #50
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Cant believe i read that whole thread,i could have been picking my nose or cleaning out my dogs ears...
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #51
prasac
Banned

400+ 1/4 passes, 100+ dyno runs, 40000km with 1200hp/30psi using factory valvetrain (apart from springs n cams), factory oil pump, balancer and numerous other stock components. tell me a modded car can't take a beating lol.

a stock car will take a beating, but like said up the power with that stock car and see what it takes. a bit of thinking, good tuning and you can work out the weak points in the motor and work on it!

Last edited by prasac; 31-03-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 31-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #52
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac View Post
tell me a modded car can't take a beating lol.

!
Id say they are reliable if driven within their intended limit / purpose. Your car may run 400 passes but more than a few cars will be towed home from the AFF drag nats after 1-2 passes.

How many forum cars modded for 50%+ more power than stock could complete the bathurst 1000 enduro?. Flat chat the whole way?
Old 31-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #53
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
How many forum cars modded for 50%+ more power than stock could complete the bathurst 1000 enduro?. Flat chat the whole way?
How many could in stock form?
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #54
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
How many could in stock form?
good point... but most stock cars would either have their brakes fade / wear down, tyres destroyed and maybe see the limit of their cooling systems.

But most of the modded cars would likely see major breakages / engine failure.

the stock cars may get more laps in.
Old 31-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #55
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Hey Hulk, you have obviously sold your centri BA XR8, did I hear correct that the person who bought it was going to take it to the track and see it's potential ?, what ever happened ?.
Old 31-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #56
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I'm defrosting my 180 litre freezer at the moment.

I haven't defrosted it for two years. It has 4 shelves, of which 3 have refrigerated coils.

The seals are in great condition for the age of the freezer, about 15 years old.

I've had to use mould cleaner on the otherwise good seals to bring it up to my personal liking. I started using a hair dryer (not mine) to melt the frost off the shelves, but gave up as I wanted to follow this thread. I used a mop to pick up the water off the tiled floor so as to not have the moisture encroach through to my adjacent hallway carpet.

ffs, this post makes as much sense to drag racing as does this thread.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
5 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #57
dragons90

So you increased the power but wouldn't drive it flat out cause it might break and wouldn't go to the drags cause it might break.
Then bag out people who do break their cars, yes they should strengthened the driveline when they added power and would of learnt the hard way it costs more to do it right the second time but atleast they had a go.

Last edited by dragons90; 31-03-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 31-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #58
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
I'm defrosting my 180 litre freezer at the moment.

I haven't defrosted it for two years. It has 4 shelves, of which 3 have refrigerated coils.

The seals are in great condition for the age of the freezer, about 15 years old.

I've had to use mould cleaner on the otherwise good seals to bring it up to my personal liking. I started using a hair dryer (not mine) to melt the frost off the shelves, but gave up as I wanted to follow this thread. I used a mop to pick up the water off the tiled floor so as to not have the moisture encroach through to my adjacent hallway carpet.

ffs, this post makes as much sense to drag racing as does this thread.

Cheers!
I thought you were going to tell us how you've never put anything in it, but you still know for a fact that it's far better and colder than everyone else's fridge
4 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #59
MAD
Petro-sexual

Flat shift an original press release Typhoon and see what happens.

Sticky track + quick gear change = shock load

Many a T5 behind a stock engine has been busted due to a numpty with a dumpy clutch foot.

Do you understand shock loading?
Old 31-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #60
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragons90 View Post
So you increased the power but wouldn't drive it flat out cause it might break and wouldn't go to the drags cause it might break.
Even driving my old charged 8 at part throttle would step away from most ;)... it was plenty of fun. 400rwkw+ is loads of power, dont need to drive it at 10/10ths to enjoy it.

I drove the car hard, but a bit of mechanical sympathy goes a long way. Obviously didnt flat change at max rpm every time i drive it, or buzz the motor on the rev limiter. No big burnouts or big launches either. The car was a little under tyred on purpose, better to turn tyres than burn clutches or brake cv's.
Closed Thread