Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
guscorty

Default Hints on Staging,

Hi Everyone,
In the past I've gone through the bournout, then Stage and load up on the converter only to find that my opponent seems to be taking forever to stage. Now, I stage, and as soon as I see my opponents second stage light come on, its then that I load up on the converter. Is this the way to go or should I be trying something else ? Any hints will be appreciate.
Cheers

guscorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Default Re: Hints on Staging,

That's how I would be doing it, no need to be sitting on the converter while he stages just cooking the fluid.

I'm never worried about a RT so ill just roll into the stage and go thru my checklist. Put it in N, give it a rev and bury the brakes down into the firewall select 1st and load her up once i see his stage lights on.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
prasac
Banned

turbo or NA/NOS?

as PSI-POP said n as ur doing wait till he is fully staged.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I always wait until the other opponent is fully staged.. Then i put the top bulb out (deep stage)and chop the tree down

No i am not competitive at all

Cut a .003 light last wed night i was pretty chuffed about
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
guscorty

Thanks for the replies Guys. The car isn't turbo'd or nos. Just running 750 dp. Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #6
marcyeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace View Post
I always wait until the other opponent is fully staged.. Then i put the top bulb out (deep stage)and chop the tree down

No i am not competitive at all

Cut a .003 light last wed night i was pretty chuffed about
What's the benefit of deep staging?

OLD
2010 FPV F6 FG - Herrod CAI, Pedders extreme XA's, Whiteline fr & rear swaybars, PWR stepped IC, injectors, turbo dump pipe with Venom cat, Herrod piping kit = 350rwkw
marcyeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Hey

It Shortens the track and definately helps with reaction times...

If i want MPH i shallow stage and run at the tree.. we are only talking about 12"s here but every bit counts

I like to psyche out the bloke next to me especially if he has gone straight into full stage and i'm only just backing back from my burnout.. you deep stage and they tend to presume you are gonna red light and they always leave late in my experience

In 2012 my average reaction over 60 passes was .18 with 5 red lights ranging .01 to .11

At a wed test and tune i did back to back redlights .01 and a .03 never got a third run in due to an oil down, i dunno where my head was that night ?
Old 12-04-2014, 02:01 AM   #8
trance
[BYEHSV]

In competition you'll find staging to be your best friend or your worst enemy

Wait for your opponent to start the burnout before you do and then pre-stage / stage as your opponent does. With a sportsman tree you don't need to hammer your converter until both cars are in full stage (Heck, you could even wait for 1-2 ambers to drop).

Deep staging is when you drop your pre-stage light (leaving only the bottom full-stage light), meaning you have to wait a little longer for your launch. In competition you won't see a driver stay in deep stage if they have enough time to reverse out of stage and try again.

Almost not relevant to being in the car, but have a play with a Sportsman RT Tester

Best thing to do is go to a track and race yourself. You'll pick it up in no time

Only a Dream Made, is a Dream Possible ...
Owned: '08 Falcon FG XR8 6Sp Manual (Dash Green) - Tuned by BluePower Racing Developments
Building: '06 BF F6 Typhoon (Silhouette) aka BYEHSV Revision 2.0! Build Thread Here
trance is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #9
Road Games

Good vid to watch mate...

http://youtu.be/7i_RnAiQzP4
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #10
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyeo View Post
What's the benefit of deep staging?
It's reduces your roll out, and puts you a few inches closer to breaking the starting beams. Any effect it has on your reaction time is due to the reduced roll out.

It provides you a shorter run up before the starting beam but the distance your timed over is always 1/4 mile.

Easy way to look at it shallow staging running start. Deep staging standing start.
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #11
prasac
Banned

stage anyway you like, an NA car will have no dramas with things like building boost. Just try n roll into same spot all the time. What I like to do is on first pass leave soon as see the green, then that let's me work out how my reactions r, then I can say, OK, so my reaction time n rollout is .400, I should be leaving soon as I see the last amber. You can then tweak with how far u roll in etc, but unless someone putting u in stage it can be difficult, plus u got all kinds of stuff going thru ur mind n adrenaline, just take a few deep breaths n relax
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #12
guscorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac View Post
stage anyway you like, an NA car will have no dramas with things like building boost. Just try n roll into same spot all the time. What I like to do is on first pass leave soon as see the green, then that let's me work out how my reactions r, then I can say, OK, so my reaction time n rollout is .400, I should be leaving soon as I see the last amber. You can then tweak with how far u roll in etc, but unless someone putting u in stage it can be difficult, plus u got all kinds of stuff going thru ur mind n adrenaline, just take a few deep breaths n relax
Thanks for the replies Everyone. At the last meeting my reaction times were .111, .282, .269,and .211 and I was leaving on the last amber. Should I try and leave when the second last amber goes off or will I be red lighting. I wasn't deep staging. As soon as the second stage light came on I would come to a complete stop. Thanks again.
Old 15-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Just after the second yellow use the same saying each time you see the second yellow then go.
Old 15-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #14
prasac
Banned

yeah, try n leave soon as you see the 2nd amber turn off, or creep the car a little further in.
Old 15-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #15
Road Games

Click Click Step .... works for me
Old 16-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #16
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac View Post
yeah, try n leave soon as you see the 2nd amber turn off, or creep the car a little further in.
Paulie knows all about creeping
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #17
ash68

Just light up one bulb and wait .some people stuff around .just do your thing.i bring up one bulb and wait .when they have one on I go in.being manual I can sit their all day on the clutch .you guys should join andra and come racing .get more fords on the track .
ash68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #18
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Do you have any issues putting heat into the clutch like that, as opposed to clutch disengaged but in neutral?
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #19
ash68

I have no clutch issues .i use a cheap USA made clutch and they will last at least 200 passes .never had a problem .australian clutch company's are a rip off .i have never had one fail .i replace it after every season .
ash68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #20
Road Games

Congrats on the 10 as well Ash