Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-04-2015, 03:05 AM   #301
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: My FGX XR8 denied warranty

The ACCC offers advice on how to approach complaints and problems.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/complaints-problems

It’s obvious the OP needs the dealership to put in writing the reasons for rejecting the warranty claim.

Honestly I could never see this going to court, after expert mechanical engineers are cross examined in a witness box Ford’s interpretation of misuse may not be that of the court and companies don’t like to expose themselves to further litigation when mediation is the least destructive sensible solution. In these cases they generally use their legal muscle as intimidation not as a reality.

Add to that the plaintiff would have to be seriously motivated to also chance the financial and time cost involved.

For those who hang on to every word written in a warranty, you are the ones the companies write them for, you’re the majority who are hoodwinked without question. For the rest the ACCC and legal professionals offer advice on how to break down the deceptive walls the companies hide behind.

Whether it’s a performance car or not, driving a stock tuned vehicle at full throttle for 12 seconds regardless of where it’s done shouldn’t cause a failure in the mind of a fair thinking person.
Old 28-04-2015, 05:39 AM   #302
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Yes but as has been pointed out, a number of State consumer/fair trading agencies that act for the ACCC in these matters have also published material and or emphasised that using you car in motorsports is one thing that definitely voids the warranty.

Yes by all means contact them (now the Department of Commerce in WA) but I can anticipate the response.

Also note the political reality is that these agencies approach changes according to which party in power - more consumer orientated and more related resources when labour is in power more business orientated and less consumer rights orientated and less consumer help resources when the liberal/coalition parties are in power.
Old 28-04-2015, 06:22 AM   #303
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
i feel sorry for you mate but honestly everybody knows a new engine in any car being a ferrari or fiat pinto needs time to bed in the rings etc etc. to take a 2000km car to the drag strip is negligent to say the least. mechanical sympathy has to come to mind for at least 5000km if not 10000km. i have been buying new cars for the last 26 years and have never had an serious engine problem.

i drove my brothers wry when new around 1500km then again at 17000km . totally different car , it felt like it had another 50kw added on!

if you were ford and warrantied every car that got thrashed at the track you would go broke overnight!
What an absolute load of total crap.
This user likes this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 06:36 AM   #304
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
1000km and you're thrashing it at the drags?
I don't think I feel too sorry for the OP. That poor car.
Any properly screwed together engine is ready for anything by 500km. My engine builders just used to say no extended throttle in top gear but other than that leave three gear strips out the front of the workshop when leaving :-)
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 06:38 AM   #305
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Lotus say here http://www.lotuscars.com/ownership/warranty :

So for Lotus' it's a limited warranty for some motorsports events and only their motorsports division vehicles and no drag racing.
That's an out, but what's the bet, they have never, ever, ever used it.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 06:41 AM   #306
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Not necessarily, the damage could have started then, just like getting a nail in your tyre, you could have picked it up many miles/week’s before hand and have a slow deflating tyre and not known when the actual damage was caused.
Planet you are on?
Old 28-04-2015, 06:44 AM   #307
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQB-241 View Post
I concur with several here that dragging a 2000km old car constitutes abuse. I won't be belting mine in that way at that time of its life.
Should have bought a Barina.
Old 28-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #308
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grechie View Post
Will a dyno power run void the warranty? For example a dyno day, with 3 power runs?
That's harder work than any drag run.
Old 28-04-2015, 06:52 AM   #309
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
Ben,
With things heating up on this thread towards Ford, this will not be good for you so maybe this thread should be locked!
Maybe instead it should be promoted.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #310
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
That's an out, but what's the bet, they have never, ever, ever used it.
I was at a track day organised by the lotus dealer. A car spewed oil all over the track and was disabled. They fixed it under warranty, provided him a loaner and let the guy use one of their cars for a session.

Some brands get performance cars and who their customers are.

Honestly if this car was not tuned some runs at the drags should not void the warranty unless there is specific proof the failure mode could be caused by that (let's face it they have an out there). The blower shouldn't operate outside its parameters, it's linked to rpm by the belt, so what specifically about this failure do ford say was caused by a drag? You need it in writing.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
3 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #311
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQB-241 View Post
I concur with several here that dragging a 2000km old car constitutes abuse. I won't be belting mine in that way at that time of its life.
Disagree, if there was a run in period it would be specified in the manual, at point of sale, or have a big sticker on it.

Or in the case of Mercedes, it would be electronically rev limited until 2-3000klm like the A45.

As Ford haven't opened the superchager one could assume they know exactly what is wrong with it, and in turn one could assume they know this from having had other failures already.

Bearings most likely.

Should Ford not want to play/pay, take it to an independent suitable repairer and get it fixed, have them detail the strip and any faults found, if it can be determined to be part failure or casting then have a lawyer send a copy of the report to Ford with a payment demand.

Basically, get it fixed and drive it, it wasn't made to be laid up.

Goodluck
Cheers Chris
Old 28-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #312
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Planet you are on?

I was clearly saying that the damage could have been done many moons before it was picked up on, and it is anyones guess where it actually occurred.

Last edited by galaxy xr8; 28-04-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 28-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #313
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Any properly screwed together engine is ready for anything by 500km. My engine builders just used to say no extended throttle in top gear but other than that leave three gear strips out the front of the workshop when leaving :-)

Did they offer a 3 year 100,000 km warranty?
Old 28-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #314
DK30RB

If it comes to a CTTT hearing, the focus will be on "Fit for Purpose". What is the purpose if the XR8.

Lodge a complaint with CTTT, it won't cost you anything, Shoot for the stars and hit the moon and i'm willing to bet the dealer and ford will buckle.

I'm telling you from experience. When i had my issues with another brand, i lodged a hearing with the CTTT, i had everything documented, and was asking for a full refund, costs, and compensation for a year of grief with the vehicle.

The dealer and manufacturer buckled and gave me a brand new car, which is all i really wanted anyway.

Make repairing the car the "cheaper" option for them.

Xr8 comes with a supercharger, brembo brakes, a V8, R spec suspension. Its built to be driven in a different manner to a small 4 cylinder hatch back.

Ford will have no choice but to fix it under warranty.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #315
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
What an absolute load of total crap.
Agree with everything you say but post count much lol
Old 28-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #316
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Park it outside the dealer with a sign on it:

8000km
SUPERCHARGER BROKEN ALREADY
VEHICLE USELESS
PRICELESS

they will love that is what I'd do. Get it tray topped/towed there if need be

Old 28-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #317
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Park it outside the dealer with a sign on it:

8000km
SUPERCHARGER BROKEN ALREADY
VEHICLE USELESS
PRICELESS

they will love that is what I'd do. Get it tray topped/towed there if need be

Or do something similar to what this guy did.

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11435143
Old 28-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #318
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB View Post
If it comes to a CTTT hearing, the focus will be on "Fit for Purpose". What is the purpose if the XR8.

Lodge a complaint with CTTT, it won't cost you anything, Shoot for the stars and hit the moon and i'm willing to bet the dealer and ford will buckle.

I'm telling you from experience. When i had my issues with another brand, i lodged a hearing with the CTTT, i had everything documented, and was asking for a full refund, costs, and compensation for a year of grief with the vehicle.

The dealer and manufacturer buckled and gave me a brand new car, which is all i really wanted anyway.

Make repairing the car the "cheaper" option for them.

Xr8 comes with a supercharger, brembo brakes, a V8, R spec suspension. Its built to be driven in a different manner to a small 4 cylinder hatch back.

Ford will have no choice but to fix it under warranty.
CTTT no longer exists in NSW, is now NCAT.

In this case, Ford is not liable due to the motorsport warranty exclusion.

In this case, the remedy sought is against the entity from which the vehicle was purchased, and the remedy is that the vehicle was not fit for purpose.

Some manufacturers do fight CTTT proceedings, I remember a case involving a surgeon's wife taking on a German Manufacturer in relation to a very expensive sports vehicle, was a very expensive exercise in the CTTT (as lawyers were allowed with consequent cost implications).

But that very wealthy surgeon swapped from that German carmaker (he had purchased some 5 vehicles new from them) to Porsche....so there is a lesson in all this for manufacturers as well......

There is no certainty with litigation....that's why it is always better for the parties to reach an informal resolution-with both parties walking away with certainty of a settlement - they may not happy, but with a result they can both live with.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 28-04-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 28-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #319
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

It's hard being a FoA supportor for some time and thinking back to the days when FoA used this forums in a positive way (Uncle Geoff days). Then seeing how Fordforums (public or not) have been used against a member in this manner.

I understand it's a new world at FoA, but given the support in the past and the continuing ongoing support of Ford in new vehicle purchases from a lot of AFF members, it's hard to swallow. In saying that, it's been obvious for a long time that FoA don't give two hoots about AFF or it's thousands of members.

Sure they are in the business of selling cars, but why potentially alienate a good portion of your current and future vehicle purchases by doing what is by any measure, a dodgy act like this.

"Race on Sunday, sell on Monday" may be dead, but appears it's been replaced with "Sell on Monday, don't give a **** once you've made the sale".

And if it was a Ford dealer, that's no excuse, nor does it let Ford off the hook. Dealers sell and represent the Ford brand, hence are Ford in the customers eyes.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok

Last edited by Grunter; 28-04-2015 at 11:21 AM.
6 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #320
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah but it is not the just the engine Trev, there are rules regarding motor sport and warranties for a reason, while in this case it's only something minor by the looks of it, and
And kempys claim it is a fault of the part may well be right and he did not mistreat it.

But, you and I both know some blokes will give motor cars a an absolute belting way above what they where ever designed for, and it's much more likely to happen at tracks, one look at a burnout video tube will show vehicles being thrashed to destruction.
Old 28-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #321
satria
FOXWHO

Admitted this was back in 1998 or so but my old man did a track day at Wanneroo Raceway in his new GTS and lit up the tyres pretty impressively leaving the pits (have an old photo somewhere), he even spun off the track filling the car (inside and out) with sand. I remember the brakes sounded horrible for ages!

The car went in for warranty work and i know for a fact the dealer knew about it because my younger sister spilled the beans (innocent little kid in the back seat saying "is it because of the time you raced it on the track" or something on those lines with the dealer rep in the car who replied something to the effect of "don't worry abut it".)

I've been a Ford man my whole life but these instances definitely stick in my head and can play a pretty big role in any new car purchases in the future.

I hope they repair your FGX mate, I see this as a dog act by Ford!
4 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #322
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Couple of things in this thread that need to be clarified and I think the OP needs this done to.

You need to find out exactly what they are declining the warranty work on, is it that fact you dragged raced the car, or is it due to drag racing the car this may have caused a part to fail. You need to get a letter from Ford for what they are exactly declining your warranty claim on. They cannot just say we are not repairing the car due to one night at the drags.

You also need to get a report from Ford, on what the issue actually is and what they did to come to the conclusion.

Once you have these take, your car to a specialist and get another report done asking them to find the problem. This will be at your own cost.

Once you have established all this, then you can work out what your next step will be. It may be cheaper to fix the car yourself and move on with life, or you could take the fight to Ford.
Old 28-04-2015, 12:18 PM   #323
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

What does it matter what anyone on here thinks? Follow up with another dealer, lodge complaints as you have, document everything, and escalate on a regular basis. The squeaky wheel gets the oil, and enough pressure may just have them saying, "Just give this guy what he wants and get him out the door".

It can't hurt to lodge your case with as many parties as you can, persistence often pays off.
Old 28-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #324
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

You should stick to the dealer you bought it from. Your contractual arrangement is with them.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #325
kempy311
BEN

Ford CRC has pretty much washed there hands of it. She said in the notes that it was raced and then pictured leaving on a tow truck hahahahah
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #326
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Did it actually leave on a tow truck
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
Old 28-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #327
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Take it further, go with one of these consumer watchdogs and maybe a lawyer who specialises in this sort of stuff.

I agree with the trying to go down not fit for purpose path, thats going to be your only shot IMO.
Old 28-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #328
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
Did it actually leave on a tow truck
Nope has been on a truck 3 times now. Home after it died in the city, to the dealership and back home from the dealership.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
Old 28-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #329
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Last edited by 99AUXR; 28-04-2015 at 01:00 PM. Reason: deleted question
Old 28-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #330
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Take it further, go with one of these consumer watchdogs and maybe a lawyer who specialises in this sort of stuff.

I agree with the trying to go down not fit for purpose path, thats going to be your only shot IMO.
Your issue with that will be surely there is some fine print on the adds that Ford have done stating that it was under a controlled environment, pro driver etc etc.

Perhaps there is some kind of out for Ford there which could be used on the press cars aswell. If you were doing the same event, in the same condition with the same drivers then you might have a case.

Obviously the term pro driver is up to interpretation but there is no way they haven't thought about this.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Closed Thread