Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #121
Chicka

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreko
Whats the bluefin unit cost???? Not happy with my tuneit chip!!!!
Yep, I thought you had a Tunit Chip happening.....and now you have gone to Bluefin....Are you more satisfied with the change? Obviously, a much cheaper alternative to the DP Chip i have fitted ! Are you happier with the outcome using the Bluefin,,as opposed to the Tunit....(DPChip)???????
Chicka
Chicka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #122
elgreko

Default Tunit Chip

Not happy with my tunit chip I don't think its working properly, I feel as if some days it kicks in and others it doesn't. When it does kick in if i push it to hard the engine cuts out! If I turn down the setting it doesn't kick in at all!!
Old 15-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #123
wizamc

Default Re: TDCI Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
so its slightly out as suspected.
Doesn't surprise me at all mate, after 200,000kms mine still does this!!!

Hey TD, how did you find the car on the track day?? I saw the video and it looked pretty good up against the XR4s and 5s. Also noticed a distinct lack of smoke under hard acceleration... too bad I couldn't hear how it sounded
wizamc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #124
Turbodiesel
Torquer

The block of iron at the front causes a lot of understeer if you enter the corner too fast (I was terrible on the first run), but as the day went on I figured out I could leave it in 3rd for most of the track which made it pretty quick out of the corners. The front tyres took a beating though, 2nd gear will easily light up the inside wheel out of a corner.

With my air filter setup, the turbo intake sound is quite loud so I imagine it would have sounded entertaining

If I had better tyres and maybe stiffer suspension it would be a real contender. As for the smoke, I am as surprised as you because I had it floored to the redline which should cover the trailing car in soot.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #125
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
The block of iron at the front causes a lot of understeer if you enter the corner too fast (I was terrible on the first run), but as the day went on I figured out I could leave it in 3rd for most of the track which made it pretty quick out of the corners. The front tyres took a beating though, 2nd gear will easily light up the inside wheel out of a corner.

With my air filter setup, the turbo intake sound is quite loud so I imagine it would have sounded entertaining

If I had better tyres and maybe stiffer suspension it would be a real contender. As for the smoke, I am as surprised as you because I had it floored to the redline which should cover the trailing car in soot.
Suspension is real floaty but its a hell of a lot more comfortable than my WS Fiesta on my crappy country "roads". Unfortunately thats the price we have to pay for comfort haha.

I'm interested in the air filter but I have P plates, so I reckon it'd give me some unwanted attention if a cop happens to be driving near by, is it very loud when driving normally?

I'll do the intercooler and chip tune though, certainly.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #126
TDCi
Starter Motor

RE: Bluefin Superchips

I just bought a Superchips Bluefin for my LV TDCI Powershift through the Superchips website - $549 + $40 for delivery.

They claim 54NM Gain which includes the over-boost, so really 34NM gain - to 374NM and 26BHP - to 160BHP total = 117 KW.

I was undecided either way - in the end, I'll just spend the money on something else so why not.

Will let you know how it performs.
Happy to hear anyone else's opinion.
TDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #127
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Are the bluefin and dreamscience units remappable like the DP Chip is?
Old 17-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #128
TDCi
Starter Motor

Quote:
Are the bluefin and dreamscience units remappable like the DP Chip is?
The bluefin remaps the ECU as opposed to just plugging in and effecting the sensor readings to the ECU like some of the cheaper tunit style boxes.
The advantage of the bluefin, is you are supplied with your own instalation device to instal the remap, rather than having to take the car to a distributor. You can send the unit back to the dealer so altunative maps can be installed if thats what you mean?

I dont know anything about dreamscience, or DP chips. Bluefin has stacks of good reviews from the UK.
TDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #129
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi
The bluefin remaps the ECU as opposed to just plugging in and effecting the sensor readings to the ECU like some of the cheaper tunit style boxes.
The advantage of the bluefin, is you are supplied with your own instalation device to instal the remap, rather than having to take the car to a distributor. You can send the unit back to the dealer so altunative maps can be installed if thats what you mean?

I dont know anything about dreamscience, or DP chips. Bluefin has stacks of good reviews from the UK.
Oh ok, Curious if you could take it to a diesel mechanic with a dyno and they could tune it further?
Old 25-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #130
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Update:

Just bought myself a set of Hella Rallye 4000 Compact spread beam driving lights for the Focus

http://db.hella.com.au/cgi-bin/catal...w&flmaint=2675

Now we're working on how we're going to mount them to the car, thinking a light bar because its easier or unless we come up with something a bit less..... gay.

Wiring should be easier, it will be wired into the highbeams to stay legal, pretty simple stuff, just need a relay some 4mm twin core and find out which bastard is the wire for the highbeam switch.
Old 25-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #131
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Rally pod over the bonnet. Looks tough.

hee hee
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #132
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Rally pod over the bonnet. Looks tough.

hee hee
Haha, these are 170mm in diameter, also due to ADRs I think I'm not supposed to be able to see the light from the drivers seat. I linked to the lights in my edited post I actually saw them on a special operations ambulance. I pointed my index finger to the sky and decided on them.

Though, i rather do like the idea.
Old 26-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #133
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Also curious as to where the intercooler is? Looked at the bottom grille but I think thats the condensor, it has a part number on the top of it, with a hyphon, then AC.

We've come up with a plan for the lights, hopefully this works, they should arrive Monday.
Old 26-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #134
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Also curious as to where the intercooler is? Looked at the bottom grille but I think thats the condensor, it has a part number on the top of it, with a hyphon, then AC.

We've come up with a plan for the lights, hopefully this works, they should arrive Monday.
I've seen a mini around Canberra that has driving lights seemingly floating in mid air in front of the grille. When I looked closely, they are mounted on what looks like 3mm stainless bar that goes back into the grille, and must mount somewhere solid, because the lights did not move at all. Might be worth looking into.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #135
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Just filled up, 41.15L of diesel, did 823km, 20KM per litre, 5L/100km, not bad. Trip computer showing 4.8L/100km so its slightly out as suspected.

1100Km on the clock.
I've also emailed a diesel workshop about if they do DP chips, waiting eargerly for a reply, they do dyno tuning there and the guys been in the business since the 70s, so he might be alright haha.
just to update you damo my fuel eco is down another 0.6l per 100..
as i've past 35,000k.. must have fully run in..

haven't noticed any extra power just better economy..

so thing's should be getting cheaper when you start putting real "K" on her.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #136
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
just to update you damo my fuel eco is down another 0.6l per 100..
as i've past 35,000k.. must have fully run in..

haven't noticed any extra power just better economy..

so thing's should be getting cheaper when you start putting real "K" on her.
Sweet, mines gone up .1L/100km, oh no!

Haha.

I'm sitting on 4.9L/100km manually calculated after full fill up.

Also I picked up my driving lights yesterday, 100W each, both spread beams Expensive though.
Old 31-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #137
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Any idea on how to remove the upper and lower front grille? I felt a metal support behind the lower front grille which looks to be a good base to mount the light bar on.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #138
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've got myself a light bar, doing the lights this upcoming Friday, will post pics when its done.

Still also waiting on my Phillips +80s H7s to come in as well, I already have the highbeams ready to go in.

Also the friday after she'll be going in for the 3000km service, what do they do there? Do I get charged for that as well?

While I'm at it, does anyone know where I can buy a Zetec Interior from? I'm interested in the leather seats but I don't think theres any wreckers who would have LV Focii? Also I noticed it has factory holes for tweeters, does the stereo have outputs for tweeters on it or only on the Zetec stereo?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-04-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #139
Dustproof

Quote:
Also the friday after she'll be going in for the 3000km service, what do they do there? Do I get charged for that as well?

Also I noticed it has factory holes for tweeters, does the stereo have outputs for tweeters on it or only on the Zetec stereo?
Hi Damo,

3000K service is a peace of mind service which is free, they don't do oils or filters, just a check over. I have 10 things to be done under warranty, mainly refitting parts correctly.

If your referring to the rear doors tweeters, they are in there already. Crank up the top end and you will hear them, BTW mine is a MKII not sure about the MK1 LV. If yours is a MK1 and they aren't there, you should be able to fit the MKII tweeters, just wire them to the other speakers in the door.

Noel
Old 07-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #140
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Thanks for that, referring to the front tweeters, theres a panel there with holes which I'm sure a tweeter goes in.

Also, hopefully tomorrow the driving lights will be fitted, or at least the light bar will be mounted, its hard to do this because theres nowhere it can really go, except I've felt a support bar on the front of the car, lower grille where the number plate is, that looks like the go!
Old 07-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #141
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big Damo. There is a gap of 1-2cm between the plastic bumper and the steel box section/crash bar behind it that I put a piece of Plywood into and used long screws to bit into the crashbar when mounting the light bar. If you do not mount it into the steel the plastic bumper will flex cause it cannot support the weight.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #142
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
Big Damo. There is a gap of 1-2cm between the plastic bumper and the steel box section/crash bar behind it that I put a piece of Plywood into and used long screws to bit into the crashbar when mounting the light bar. If you do not mount it into the steel the plastic bumper will flex cause it cannot support the weight.
Yep, we drilled into the crash bar, put M8 nutserts in it, used M8 allen headed bolts.

We also made up this half-assed cold air induction for it from the factory air intake pipe LOL. Originally, it snakes around to the right hand side and ends up covered under the plastic cover with the screws in it, so we took that half off it so its just a little intake going from the airbox to the front grille on the left side of the car, it must have done some good because now it torque steers and sounds louder LOL.

I'd show photos of the air intake pipe, but we forgot to reconnect the bonnet lock thingo and so now I can't open the bonnet, oops.

Obligatory photo (click to enlargen):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 08-04-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #143
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Grr, trying to adjust the bastards, unfortunately I can only get it pointed up into the sky where I don't want it haha.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #144
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Grr, trying to adjust the bastards, unfortunately I can only get it pointed up into the sky where I don't want it haha.
gotta keep an eye on those possums, never know when they might pounce...
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #145
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
It has two little knobs on the side which you undo and move the light around, but i need a open, deserted flat road to properly adjust them on, they wouldn't appreciate doing it in my estate LOL.

Plus I need to undo the 17mm nut at the bottom to swivel them around, hopefully Ill do it tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #146
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Pffft to the possums it's the Drop Bears that scare the poop outta me.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #147
Citwit

I have a pair of long range Super Oscars on my 08 TDCI Focus. We had a problem with cattle and horses standing on the unfenced roads at night where I was living when I put them on. I needed the distance not so much spread and needed to be able to stop within the distance I could see. I had the same problem as Damo lining them up. What I do now is to get a small spirit level and put it vertically on the front of the light and set them up so that they shine out basically parallel to the ground. Initially I set them up so that the light shine out parallel to each other. You can then tighten the bolts. This is a good starting point and then all you need to do is adjust them horizontally to get the right aim without disturbing the vertical aim. Mine are set up to diverge slightly, the right one a little more than the left one.
Like Damo mine are mounted on a light bar. I drilled through the crash bar and used long bolts and nyloc nuts to stabilise the the light bar. I used a collection of washers to maintain the spacing between the crash bar and the plastic bumper.
Citwit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #148
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit tacky but many years ago I used flat hose clamps cut in half and riveted one end into light and one end under bonnet. Infinite adjustability and added stability in the light. Geez I loved those Super Oscars. Speak to a 4wd spares place who do fitting and they may be able to give you some ideas.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #149
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Super Oscar's ey?

My mum mentioned something about one of her friends having a few of those on his car like 30 years ago, mustb e good if they're still around haha.

I'll be swapping the bulbs to 100W soon, from the 55s in there now.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #150
Citwit

Yes, the Super Oscars are getting a bit long in the tooth but they still do the job. This is the third car that I've had the same lights on. It is difficult to get the long range ones aimed correctly as a small adjustment can make a difference. Its worth persevering to get them exactly right.
Citwit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post