Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-01-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Air bags

been pondering this for awhile........
I read somewhere that its dangerous to keep your hands on the steering wheel at the 10 2 normal driving position, because if your airbag (on steering wheel, not the love? of your life in passenger seat) goes off it will damage your arms.

true/false
driving a normal Falcon BF/FG whatever which direction does the cover go....
1 up towards the windscreen
2 straight at your gut/belly
3 elsewhere
Old 18-01-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 
Default Re: Air bags

Haven't heard that one befor Tony...

Have heard that you shouldn't "grip" the wheel with your thumbs on the inside of the wheel (as opposed to thumbs on the face of the wheel) coz when the airbaig goes off it could break your thumbs

I;ve never had the experience so far... but have also heard they can bruise you a bit and/or give you a blood nose etc, on impact !??

Better that than disfigure you, or worse, without them (unless you have a car with an old Takata airbag that hasn't been replaced yet !)

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2020, 06:34 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I stacked my first Focus and got full airbag deployment, the airbag hit me in the face, mangled and threw my glasses off, I got burns from the discharge and I was completely deaf for a good minute afterwards with dulled hearing coming back slowly.

I didn't even hear them deploy it was just out and ears ringing.

Last year was involved in another accident where the guy in front was in a new Audi SUV but he was drunk and not wearing a seatbelt, he went into the back of a RAV4 at about 70kmh.

I went over to him and he had blood all over his shirt and bleeding from his nose and face, I think he head-butted the wheel pretty hard.

With the hands thing I think it's much of a muchness, my hands where on the wheel all the way through airbag deployment.

My tips for stacking cars is don't let your passenger rest their feet on the dash or they'll cop their knee in their face at 300km/h and put your GPS lower centre of windscreen otherwise it too will hit you in the face if the curtain airbags come out

Not exactly pleasant experience airbag deployment.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 18-01-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I stacked my first Focus and got full airbag deployment, the airbag hit me in the face, mangled and threw my glasses off, I got burns from the discharge and I was completely deaf for a good minute afterwards with dulled hearing coming back slowly.

Last year was involved in another accident where the guy in front was in a new Audi SUV but he was drunk and not wearing a seatbelt, he went into the back of a RAV4 at about 70kmh.

I went over to him and he had blood all over his shirt and bleeding from his nose and face, I think he head-butted the wheel pretty hard.

With the hands thing I think it's much of a muchness, my hands where on the wheel all the way through airbag deployment.

My tips for stacking cars is don't let your passenger rest their feet on the dash or they'll cop their knee in their face at 300km/h and put your GPS lower centre of windscreen otherwise it too will hit you in the face if the curtain airbags come out

This is the interior after I stacked it:

Check out how big the passenger side airbag is, also you can see the area on the steering wheel where your thumbs are supposed to sit, its approx 10-2 or 9-3 I reckon.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #5
Windsor220
Now Fordless

They changed it from 10 and 2 to 9 and 3 because at 9 and 3 your arms will naturally bend out with the airbag as it expands larger than the wheel itself. If you have them higher, your arms cant bend and will be shot upwards. Thats the theory anyway.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I thought you were a self titled very good driver,so why did you crash the Focus
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #7
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't believe the number of clowns I see on the road who ride in the front passenger seats
of cars with their feet resting on top of the dash on the air bag these days.
Fairlane 500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I thought you were a self titled very good driver,so why did you crash the Focus
Doesn't matter how good of a driver I am because I can't control the actions of others

Plus I don't think I've claimed that, so please quote me where I mentioned I was a 'self titled very good driver'

What happened was I t-boned a 1980s Rodeo at about 90km/h when they accidentally reversed across Sunbury Rd on the side of the Melbourne airport slip line trying to show off to their friend who'd broken down.

They had the wheel turned the wrong way, punched it in reverse, come out across Sunbury Rd right in front of me and I hit em at about 90km/h, if they had a passenger they'd be dead I reckon because I hit right on the passenger side B pillar and it pushed it in to about where the centre console is, Rodeo was bent like a banana and it got thrown into the trees, I sort of just come to a very sudden stop in the middle of the road

The other guy meant to spin wheels and tail back into the trees to drive down the emergency lane on the left on the grass prior to those silly wire rope things being there, except they come out across both lanes of Sunbury Rd right as I was getting close to them, their car stalled across both lanes, I jammed on the brakes, brief lock up before ABS kicked in, then I hit em, thats how close it was given it locked up a wheel then I hit before ABS even had a chance to do its thing.

I walked out of it with some hearing loss for a while, some burns on my face and purple bruising where the seatbelt pretensioners ripped me back into the seat, modern cars are great.

Thats exactly why you don't put your 18 year old child in a $500 car when they first get their license, so they walk out of it when they smash it - 1990s cars are junk compared to 2010 onwards, if that was in an E Series Falcon or a VR/VS Commodore I'd be a vegetable or probably dead.

I told the police that I didn't want the other kid getting charged as it was a mistake and he cracked the ****s and said it was his choice if someone gets charged, he ended up in court and had to write me an apology letter

He'd only been on the road for a few weeks, he had this 1980s Rodeo he'd basically restored as his first car - had

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 19-01-2020 at 07:19 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #9
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Windsor220 I think you have answered my Q
where did you glean such information?
Old 19-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #10
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree Franco, get the kids as much safety as possible, not a $500 Rodeo.

What was scary was that although the young one had a decent amount of airbags in his car, he would still occasionally ride with his mate who had a $500 Rodeo...

Bonus: Clark crashes the Wagon Queen Family Truckster, gets airbag deployment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfmKwgrQzdE
Old 19-01-2020, 09:36 PM   #11
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Windsor220 I think you have answered my Q
where did you glean such information?
4wd training course I went on for work. The instructor was a guy that had been doing defensive driving courses for years.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2020, 10:07 PM   #12
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Doesn't matter how good of a driver I am because I can't control the actions of others

Plus I don't think I've claimed that, so please quote me where I mentioned I was a 'self titled very good driver'

What happened was I t-boned a 1980s Rodeo at about 90km/h when they accidentally reversed across Sunbury Rd on the side of the Melbourne airport slip line trying to show off to their friend who'd broken down.

They had the wheel turned the wrong way, punched it in reverse, come out across Sunbury Rd right in front of me and I hit em at about 90km/h, if they had a passenger they'd be dead I reckon because I hit right on the passenger side B pillar and it pushed it in to about where the centre console is, Rodeo was bent like a banana and it got thrown into the trees, I sort of just come to a very sudden stop in the middle of the road

The other guy meant to spin wheels and tail back into the trees to drive down the emergency lane on the left on the grass prior to those silly wire rope things being there, except they come out across both lanes of Sunbury Rd right as I was getting close to them, their car stalled across both lanes, I jammed on the brakes, brief lock up before ABS kicked in, then I hit em, thats how close it was given it locked up a wheel then I hit before ABS even had a chance to do its thing.

I walked out of it with some hearing loss for a while, some burns on my face and purple bruising where the seatbelt pretensioners ripped me back into the seat, modern cars are great.

Thats exactly why you don't put your 18 year old child in a $500 car when they first get their license, so they walk out of it when they smash it - 1990s cars are junk compared to 2010 onwards, if that was in an E Series Falcon or a VR/VS Commodore I'd be a vegetable or probably dead.

I told the police that I didn't want the other kid getting charged as it was a mistake and he cracked the ****s and said it was his choice if someone gets charged, he ended up in court and had to write me an apology letter

He'd only been on the road for a few weeks, he had this 1980s Rodeo he'd basically restored as his first car - had
You didn,t say you were a good driver in those words,but you spend time telling everyone how you can drive way over the limit etc and not get caught out,so we must presume you are a good driver.Your scenario shows why you should always presume the other driver is going to do something wrong,and drive accordingly,thats why I have been driving all over Aust,including Melb and Sydney for over 50 years without crashing into anything.
Old 19-01-2020, 10:11 PM   #13
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
been pondering this for awhile........
I read somewhere that its dangerous to keep your hands on the steering wheel at the 10 2 normal driving position, because if your airbag (on steering wheel, not the love? of your life in passenger seat) goes off it will damage your arms.

true/false
driving a normal Falcon BF/FG whatever which direction does the cover go....
1 up towards the windscreen
2 straight at your gut/belly
3 elsewhere
I've heard this as well, but I figure that the air bag deploys rearward and outwards from the centre of the steering wheel, and your hands are gripping the wheel (no doubt tightly) at the moment of impact. So my reckoning is that the airbag will strike the forearm and elbow area, and not drive your fist into your face, but push your arms outwards.

I've seen lipstick marks on many deployed airbags.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2020, 10:11 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
You didn,t say you were a good driver in those words,but you spend time telling everyone how you can drive way over the limit etc and not get caught out,so we must presume you are a good driver.Your scenario shows why you should always presume the other driver is going to do something wrong,and drive accordingly,thats why I have been driving all over Aust,including Melb and Sydney for over 50 years without crashing into anything.
So basically what you're saying is you just made accusations then when called out on it, you couldn't prove any of them, then tried to speak for others in an effort for damage control - good work
Old 19-01-2020, 10:13 PM   #15
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would also wager you have seen a few brown 'skid marks' on seats.
Old 19-01-2020, 10:19 PM   #16
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
would also wager you have seen a few brown 'skid marks' on seats.
Too many... dignity is taken off the table in some circumstances.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2020, 10:44 PM   #17
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So basically what you're saying is you just made accusations then when called out on it, you couldn't prove any of them, then tried to speak for others in an effort for damage control - good work
Please interperate what you are trying to say