Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 20-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
lgc67

Default Buying Used MC LX hatch .what to look for

I'm he
Ping my brother in law buy a used car . He is considering an LX hatch .

There are a few around Brisbane yards . A lot of 2014 X hertz renters around with 40-45k asking $13000 to $14000. Seem to be in good nick .
I'm a bit gun shy about an x renter though. Private sellers are asking more for older cars with more klicks ......a lot more even considering the cars a not renters .

What should I be looking out for . Common problems etc .

What is the situation regarding timing belts / chains on the 2 litre petrol ( or what ever size it is )
Thanks
lgc67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #2
timmo86

Default Re: Buying Used MC LX hatch .what to look for

we just got a 2012 mc lx wagon from pickles auctions brisbane, not a bad car at all considering its an ex lease car with 176,000ks its a tdci 6sp powershift cant really fault it..

from what Ive read in the owners manuel they say timing belts due around 200,000ks for the diesel not sure if its the same for petrol models.

they seem to be really great cars my father has the older ma mondeo and hasn't really had an issue with his
2013 MC Mondeo Titanium TDCI
2009 G6e Turbo zf6sp ego
08 BF MK2 XR6 Turbo zf6sp
2012 MC Mondeo TDCI LX Wagon
RIP 03 BA XR8 5sp clutch went north
96 EF2 Futura Sedan auto 4L
81 XD GL Sedan 4.1 Cross flow auto
96 EF2 XR6 Sedan 5sp
2000 AU dual fuel wagon auto
86 XF Fairmont Ghia Sedan auto
timmo86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo86 View Post
we just got a 2012 mc lx wagon from pickles auctions brisbane, not a bad car at all considering its an ex lease car with 176,000ks its a tdci 6sp powershift cant really fault it..
How much? Have a mate in Brissie after the same wagon.

To the OP...

I got my MC Hatch with 219K on the clock over a year ago and never had a problem with it so far.(Fingers crossed)

Thanks for reminding me to contact the Ford dealer who obviously did a great job servicing it to see if a timing belt was replaced.

Big Melb > Sydney > Brissie return planned for Sept so would like to be reassured that is not a concern.
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgc67 View Post
I'm he
Ping my brother in law buy a used car . He is considering an LX hatch .

There are a few around Brisbane yards . A lot of 2014 X hertz renters around with 40-45k asking $13000 to $14000. Seem to be in good nick .
I'm a bit gun shy about an x renter though. Private sellers are asking more for older cars with more klicks ......a lot more even considering the cars a not renters .

What should I be looking out for . Common problems etc .

What is the situation regarding timing belts / chains on the 2 litre petrol ( or what ever size it is )
Thanks
Before test drive run your hand around back of engine to check for oil.
Plus full psychological assessment of owner.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
lgc67

Are they that bad
Old 21-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
lgc67

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Before test drive run your hand around back of engine to check for oil.
Plus full psychological assessment of owner.
When you say down the "back " of the engine . You mean between the fire wall and engine ? Where is the likely oil leak from ?
Old 21-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, between engine and firewall. Not sure where the oil is likely to be from but I found some on one I looked at. Not a known common problem though. If you are inclining to buy one I'd suggest have the undertray off to check for seal leaks, again not usual. Easy enough to remove, 7 10mm hex screws, but you need two jacks for convenience.

Last edited by rondeo; 21-06-2016 at 07:18 PM. Reason: addition
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Serpentine belt...if it looks remotely worn, change it. It's cheap and easy enough to do. One owner here (on an older model) had it snap but it pushed the plastic timing belt cover onto the timing belt and that in turn snapped taking out the top end. Luckily not harming the bottom end and piston assemblies/ect....

They are still on the road happily now.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #9
bf2fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo86 View Post

from what Ive read in the owners manuel they say timing belts due around 200,000ks for the diesel not sure if its the same for petrol models.

they seem to be really great cars my father has the older ma mondeo and hasn't really had an issue with his
Petrol models (both 2.3 and 2.0 Ecoboost) are timing chain so not timing belt. Only diesel has timing belt.

Cheers
bf2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post