Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #1
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry This is outrageous

A Victorian woman who pleaded guilty to high range drink driving, .282, and speeding, 126 km/h, 26 km over the limit, with a prior conviction for DUI will only serve a community corrections order and not have a conviction recorded.

The magistrate said that a conviction could "impact on her employment role as an electoral officer." She should have thought of that before she dragged herself into her car, surely jail should be the only option.

I think a first offender with a clean record on a low range dui charge where no other offence has been committed should perhaps be given one chance, however this woman should be going straight to Jail. I think that the Victorian Govt be reviewing other decisions that this magistrate has made.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: This is outrageous

The whole court system has lost the plot lately.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
marty351
Shenanigans..............

This is clearly outside of community expectations.This magistrate should either be investigated or forced resignation/sacked.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
A Victorian woman who pleaded guilty to high range drink driving, .282, and speeding, 126 km/h, 26 km over the limit, with a prior conviction for DUI will only serve a community corrections order and not have a conviction recorded.

The magistrate said that a conviction could "impact on her employment role as an electoral officer." She should have thought of that before she dragged herself into her car, surely jail should be the only option.

I think a first offender with a clean record on a low range dui charge where no other offence has been committed should perhaps be given one chance, however this woman should be going straight to Jail. I think that the Victorian Govt be reviewing other decisions that this magistrate has made.

This what happens when you have connections to the union and a political party, what did you expect when left wing magistrates gives you get out free gaol cards and no convictions.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The full story here: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...cd093eea437aa6
Old 04-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Theres not enough jail suites to house the crack heads out there bashing people never mind lock up this woman, whilst I agree with your sentiment, the reality is i'd rather them lock up the crack heads.
Taking her licence wont stop her driving unlicensed, impounding the car wont stop her driving another one so all that's left is to just be thankful she didn't kill anyone.

Last edited by BENT_8; 04-10-2019 at 05:04 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Until next time.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Not a violent offender - doesn't deserve jail time IMO, yes she's done something silly but at the end of the day there's no deaths or injuries.

Probably worthy of her weekends being taken for community service - make her prepare proper meals for old fogies in old fogies homes and care for people with disabilities.

Save the big house for violent crimes.

I'm calling pussy-pass though - if it was a bloke the sentence wouldn't have been so lenient.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2019, 05:25 PM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

I'm calling pussy-pass though - if it was a bloke the sentence wouldn't have been so lenient.
My first thought.
Australia's justice system is soft on men, but it's even softer on women.

"Setka accompanied Ms Walters to court, the couple arriving in his "CFMEU 1" registered car which Setka parked in a one-hour zone, later receiving a parking ticket."

These people clearly don't give a **** about any laws. They can't even park legally while attending her court date where she was slapped on the wrist very softly.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #10
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've noticed a lot of Victorian Court cases end up with community service orders.
Even on those Highway Patrol TV shows, people getting away with blue murder.
As for previous comment..
"Not a violent offender - doesn't deserve jail time IMO, yes she's done something silly but at the end of the day there's no deaths or injuries."
It was only lucky there wasn't, the potential was certainly there.
The amount of time spent by the coppers detecting these offence's, preparing the paper work and putting them before Court only to walk, not even a monetary penalty, pathetic.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I've noticed a lot of Victorian Court cases end up with community service orders.
Even on those Highway Patrol TV shows, people getting away with blue murder.
As for previous comment..
"Not a violent offender - doesn't deserve jail time IMO, yes she's done something silly but at the end of the day there's no deaths or injuries."
It was only lucky there wasn't, the potential was certainly there.
The amount of time spent by the coppers detecting these offence's, preparing the paper work and putting them before Court only to walk, not even a monetary penalty, pathetic.
How many silly dangerous things have we ALL done in the past that we've never been caught for? I can label a few.

I'm sure our resident oldies would have some great stories about what they got up to in their heyday that were even acceptable back then that you wouldn't even dream of doing now.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #12
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How many silly dangerous things have we ALL done in the past that we've never been caught for? I can label a few.

I'm sure our resident oldies would have some great stories about what they got up to in their heyday that were even acceptable back then that you wouldn't even dream of doing now.
Back in the 60's driving around as full as a boot was socially acceptable, and I was as bad as anybody, however when the breathalyser bag came in in the early 70's and I had finally grown some brains, I saw the error of my ways.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #13
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
My first thought.
Australia's justice system is soft on men, but it's even softer on women.

"Setka accompanied Ms Walters to court, the couple arriving in his "CFMEU 1" registered car which Setka parked in a one-hour zone, later receiving a parking ticket."

These people clearly don't give a **** about any laws. They can't even park legally while attending her court date where she was slapped on the wrist very softly.
Don't worry about the parking fine I'm Sure the cfmeu members wont mind their union dues being used to pay for it .
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #14
marty351
Shenanigans..............

And when a custodial sentence is possible, the "Hallelujah, I've found the lord!" defense is put into play.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #15
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slightly different tack: 0.282 blood alcohol, does that mean 28.2% of her blood is pure alcohol?

So she's 56 proof? Haha
Old 04-10-2019, 07:19 PM   #16
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Quite sure we all have been guilty of doing the wrong things in our past hey days as you put it but these days it is definitely not acceptable so what is your point since we have better education of the effects of drink driving these days.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

True, but she has already been caught DUI once. Courts should be harsher with repeat offenders, even if they didn't hurt anyone.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #18
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Slightly different tack: 0.282 blood alcohol, does that mean 28.2% of her blood is pure alcohol?

So she's 56 proof? Haha
Umm....

It's 0.282%

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2019, 08:08 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Quite sure we all have been guilty of doing the wrong things in our past hey days as you put it but these days it is definitely not acceptable so what is your point since we have better education of the effects of drink driving these days.
You don't need 'better education' to realise how badly alcohol impairs your ability to function and particularly drive, doesn't take a Mensa candidate to realise that if you're struggling to walk you're probably not fit to drive.

You don't need arbitrary numbers and TV shows with the world's most suspenseful ad breaks to figure that one out, but it was done regardless, and now people are pointing fingers.

Less high horse fingers pointing - just because something was 'socially acceptable' at the time it still doesn't make it right or just.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:36 PM   #20
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
The whole court system has lost the plot lately.
Don't know about Victoria.

But here in N.S.W. The Gaols are over crowded to Buggery..

Most (if not All) have Double & triple Bunks in cells built as Single cells,, That;'s why there's a Plethora of (In my Opinion) Very light sentences..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #21
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think some community service at the local morgue would be well suited to this kind of crime.
Facing the consequences of people who were not so lucky, and were wiped out by a drunk driver might knock some sense into them and prevent them from doing it again.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #22
hayseed

Quote:
just because something was 'socially acceptable' at the time it still doesn't make it right or just.

Too true....
But 35 odd years ago when all My Mates & I were "Young Dumb & full of Cum", Long range Thinking was: What you were gunna a get up to Next Weekend..

Hindsight's a marvelous Thing.............
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I think some community service at the local morgue would be well suited to this kind of crime.
Facing the consequences of people who were not so lucky, and were wiped out by a drunk driver might knock some sense into them and prevent them from doing it again.
Another good idea is maybe we look at why she has problems with alcohol and intervene with help before we go clogging up the already overcrowded jail system with alcoholics
Old 04-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #24
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Theres not enough jail suites to house the crack heads out there bashing people never mind lock up this woman, whilst I agree with your sentiment, the reality is i'd rather them lock up the crack heads.
Taking her licence wont stop her driving unlicensed, impounding the car wont stop her driving another one so all that's left is to just be thankful she didn't kill anyone.
She should at least have had a conviction recorded. That would have more impact on her than basically receiving a slap on the wrist. There's been no incentive for her to change her behaviour.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:18 PM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Almost six times the limit is taking the **** in and of itself, let alone a previous conviction.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #26
Sioso
irregular member

She should be thankful that she didn't spin her wheels or she could have ended up in some real trouble.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #27
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I think the problem is the courts, due to overcrowding, have come to a point where they no longer convict on the likelihood of a result of your actions, but on the outcome.
If she'd cleaned some poor bugger up she'd be put away for as long as they could house her but because she only got caught in the net its not worth squeezing her in when that spot could be filled with someone else.

Considering her past, if fines or having a record we're of value to someone like her, this thread wouldn't be here, so her time is best spent in the community where it provides an actual gain to someone.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2019, 12:57 PM   #28
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What Australia needs is Judge Judy!
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #29
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4 View Post
Umm....

It's 0.282%

Thanks for clearing that up. I'd always wondered, thinking 1.00 was the full amount, like in some science and stats. Here's a gift for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmXGVDnPU9o

"Yeah, why not?"
Old 05-10-2019, 10:44 PM   #30
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Sprintey;6348136]Slightly different tack: 0.282 blood alcohol, does that mean 28.2% of her blood is pure alcohol?

Ahh no.

Last edited by GCRXR6; 05-10-2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Has been responded to.
GCRXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post