Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Default Modded cars - why the hell not?

I feel there is a gross injustice in this country in regards to modified vehicles and I feel like venting my spleen a little. Let’s take the three countries most similar to Australia – the UK, NZ and the USA.

To kick off with the UK, the government there think it’s perfectly alright to shove a big engine into a small car. For example, a lot of people know of an old Ford Popular with a stroked Clevo stuffed under the bonnet. It runs silly quarter mile times, and it’s completely street legal. This is car that originally had about 3.5bhp, yet with the proper application of skill and care, it’s a-ok to drive one from Yorkshire to Cornwall. It’ll cost a lot in petrol, but that’s not necessarily a problem. They have similar rules and regs about it being roadworthy and you don’t need an engineer’s plate for it – as long as it passes the roadworthy test, go for it.

Similar in NZ, I believe. Anyone seen those crazy rat rods? And what about the Focus that was converted to a V8 and RWD? All perfectly legal – if it passes the test to make sure it’s safe they’ll give you a set of plates. Splendid.

And then the US. Same as the other two – if the car is capable of being driven on the road in safety, why the hell not? There are some crazy rigs out there that would never in a million years be legal in this country.

Maybe I’ve got it wrong and there’s more to it than that. But frankly, I don’t see the problem with ANY car being on the road provided it’s safe. That means that seatbelts work, all the lights work, the brakes work… effectively, passing a roadworthy test which if I’m not mistaken, includes a test on the road rather than just looking for bald patches on the tyres. Should someone declare the car unfit for use because it’s dangerous, then take it off the road. Simple as that. It’s a rule I would happily subscribe to.

It seems that the laws in this country are a tad harsh and probably mismanaged. Those same rules state quite clearly that my car may well be illegal to drive on account of the fact that I’m not running a vacuum hose where I should. Can you tell I have an issue with this one in particular? The rest of the car presents no safety issue whatsoever and is in fact almost identical to one made 5 years prior, although that one doesn’t need the vacuum hose because it’s older. OK, so I’m getting my wires crossed on emissions and safety, but you see my point. The rules don’t really make much sense. They have been devised by people who don’t seem to know a huge amount about cars, much less what modifications may be required.

Another example I heard recently was that due to the power/weight ratio argument, it may not be possible to legally put a 351 Cleveland into a Mk1 Capri because that’s not what Capris came with back in the day. But you can have a 302 sir, no problem. What’s to stop Mr Petrolhead working the hell out of a 302 so that it knocks out an honest 600bhp – far more than a stock 351 – and being able to drive his car legally, all because it’s a 302 and not a 351?

It’s all a bit much, really. Why can’t we in Australia have the freedom to modify our cars the way we want, provided they’re safe and pose no more of a threat to society than if they were stock? It's perfectly fine in some other countries, yet illegal here - I struggle to see the difference, other than geography. I have a solution, and I’m sure I’m not alone. It goes something like this:

Anyone anywhere at any time is allowed to modify their car. The only requirements are that they tell their insurance company (it will be null and void in the event of a claim), they get their car tested for roadworthiness after any modifications that may affect safety, for better or worse, have been made. If at said test the tester sees that the car has had half the chassis removed, only then should it be referred to an engineer. And let’s face it, that means that for one reason or another, it’s not safe.

I want to see the same kind of freedom for those of us with cars from the ‘60s onwards that those with a 1932 Model A enjoy. And of course, be able to drive them when we want so that we can enjoy the fruits of our labours. Is that so much to ask?

Perhaps I’m preaching to the converted, but I’d be interested in people’s opinions on the subject.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
gozza

makes total sense
if the car works and is no threat of flying off the raod randomly then why not

sorta leads me to the----if its late and no ones on the road...you should be able to speed sorta thing lol
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

its all about the minoritys... a minority group of people complain about a few p plate hoons in WRX's, commodores ect... and the entire modified car culture are branded evil. Thus the government have a knee jerk reaction to please the minority, and keep us crazy enthusiests in line with a textbook full of rules devised by people who know very little about automotive modifications...

It sucks eh?

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes yes yes, i agree. If the car is safe, barkes, steerin, tyres, things done properly it should be allowed. I think its partly because some people do dodgy conversions and modifications which led to these silly rules.
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

its because people are ИИИИed in this country
and its just going to get worse and worse, people get jealous or some ИИИИ
ALTHOUGH i was just watching the news on the new camera's that read peoples number plates to see if they are unregistered, or stolen i think that is a FANTASTIC piece of machinery

XLS Falcon Ute
Full Sick 2.5 Inch -> To Double 3 Inch Tips Exhaust Sports System
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims
Altezza Tail Bling Bling Lights
Kenwood Head Deck + Amps + Bling Bling Sub
Bright Orange BLING BLING Fordforums.com Sticker

OOoooohh Yeah! Bling Bling
XLS99 Ute man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 09:51 PM   #6
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

They also read to see how many fines you have owing...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
EFFalcon
Last warning

theres a thing called engineering.
it is possible to have a legal modified car.
just costs a lot of money.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #8
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In NSW there is a rule which highly modified vehicles can actually be legal, its called ICV, or Independantly Constructed Vehicles, they do require extensive tests and are limited in the amount of kms they do, but you can get just about anything made legal under this rule.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 10:41 PM   #9
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I think having a bit of control to make sure these radical mods are done in a safe & balanced (ie adequate braking and roadholding) manner is not a bad thing. Here in Vic there is also the Street Rod club permits for "toys".
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post