Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #121
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Australia,s Rarest muscle cars

As I said "in your opinion" but there are plenty here who don't agree (with your opinion).

Oh, and I have one of those "Poofs cars" so I don't appreciate your connotation.
I have been there /done that with the 351/top loader & FMX/9"/leaf spring combo and just because you need some muscle to drive one doesn't make them the only "muscle car".

We'll have to agree to disagree
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #122
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
THAT is EXACTLY why they are not muscle cars, they go, stop, turn and have heater and aircon that works.

A poof's car...
fair nuff

old and lazy poofs musclecar
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Australia,s Rarest muscle cars

Quote:

A poof's car...
That's a big call from a fella with a yellow "koo pay"
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #124
jamies

Quote:
THAT is EXACTLY why they are not muscle cars, they go, stop, turn and have heater and aircon that works.

A poof's car...
Ha ha the white knuckle feeling of an old classic trying to stop at full noise the shifting of weight as the heavy cars with poo brakes pull
Up, the rail roading if you have big wheels on the front ha ha awesome, aircon... All windows down, hot vinyl seats in the sun burning a layer of skin as you get in it ha ha oh the fun.. Love it.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #125
Luke G
Starter Motor

Would love a HT Monaro one day.
Luke G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #126
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Ha ha the white knuckle feeling of an old classic trying to stop at full noise the shifting of weight as the heavy cars with poo brakes pull
Up, the rail roading if you have big wheels on the front ha ha awesome, aircon... All windows down, hot vinyl seats in the sun burning a layer of skin as you get in it ha ha oh the fun.. Love it.
And loving it...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #127
The FOMOCO

If a Landau is a muscle car then anything from the 60s or 70s with a v8 must be a muscle car then HQ253 wagon = muscle car. 302 fairlane =muscle car. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 09-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #128
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The FOMOCO View Post
If a Landau is a muscle car then anything from the 60s or 70s with a v8 must be a muscle car then HQ253 wagon = muscle car. 302 fairlane =muscle car. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Woohooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My 25 second 302 ZD is a muscle car!!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #129
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not sure you understand, according to this thread a 2007 5.4 Fairlane is a musclecar.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #130
PlukaDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo View Post
don't see how heavy duty axle = 9 inch

XD was not available with 9 inch
So what was it ??????????
Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #131
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlukaDuck View Post
So what was it ??????????
Borg Warner 4 pinion
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #132
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

OK... to add to the what is/isn't a Muscle Car debate.... I found this definition on the web (Which we all know is the absolute definer of all things! )... it goes like this.....

A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized (by US standards), performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These "regular" vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.

So... if you base the question posed by the OP on the various points in this description... the rarest Aussie production muscle car... based on a regular intermediate sized production car... with a large V8... which is a performace orientated version... at an "affordable" price.... then the answer must be the XA GTHO Phase 4... as there is only 1. I suppose you could also add to this the fact that it was produced & completed "in house" on the Factory floor (not buy an associated skunkworks.. & unlike Bill Bourkes 427 XWGT which did not come down the line as presented to Bill... as it was shipped to the States and modified first)

Not saying I totally agree with this particular definition etc... but it seems to fit in with a general sentiment surrounding this topic !??

Feel free to agree.. or.. not !

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)

Last edited by Gothefalcon; 09-12-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #133
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

delete

Last edited by GREGL; 09-12-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Reread the post
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #134
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
OK... to add to the what is/isn't a Muscle Car debate.... I found this definition on the web (Which we all know is the absolute definer of all things! )... it goes like this.....

A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized (by US standards), performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These "regular" vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.

So... if you base the question posed by the OP on the various points in this description... the rarest Aussie production muscle car... based on a regular intermediate sized production car... with a large V8... which is a performace orientated version... at an "affordable" price.... then the answer must be the XA GTHO Phase 4... as there is only 1. I suppose you could also add to this the fact that it was produced & completed "in house" on the Factory floor (not buy an associated skunkworks.. & unlike Bill Bourkes 427 XWGT which did not come down the line as presented to Bill... as it was shipped to the States and modified first)

Not saying I totally agree with this particular definition etc... but it seems to fit in with a general sentiment surrounding this topic !??

One problem with those 2, one of one examples as rare muscle cars is if you ask any US car guy they would say both have 2 doors too many to be called muscle cars in the first place.......the bottom line is anyone can spin the muscle car definition to suit themselves and in this case they have

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #135
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post

Ford won't admit to it. But there was a few more replated XA GTHO Phase 4's that left the factory.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #136
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
Ford won't admit to it. But there was a few more replated XA GTHO Phase 4's that left the factory.
Here we go!!!
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #137
jamies

I thought the phase fours engines and other parts where put in other cars like Fairlaine's,F100 and any other V8, ford had in production.. I think there was a good story in Australian muscle car magazine a few years ago, I'll have to have a look.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #138
The FOMOCO

Quote:
OH dear you certainly know how to stir the pot i can hear all the experts now
Old 10-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #139
PlukaDuck

Quote:
Yes there were 5000 replated GTHO 4......
And only ONE had mudflaps. ...That is the baby you should be looking for
Old 10-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #140
superyob
Banned

Well I happen to know a fella who had a mate that knew a turnip farmer who reckoned he had seen Elvis driving a Calypso green car of some description...
Old 10-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #141
jamies

My mate who has a mint XY GT his brother owns a two owner XA two door Rpo 83 white in colour, both cars in mint cond.. I remember standing in their garage grinning like a mad man drooling, over both these cars. At the time I had a mint XD Esp, they called mine the fantastic plastic, the old school muscle was real streel ha ha.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #142
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
This is true, I have a uncle who work for ford back then, they simply removed the phase 4 carby and retarded the timing to pull back the HP, they were plated as GT's. A small number (25 I think) of XY were produced using left over body shells from the Phase 3 program, these XY's had the full Phase 4 spec drivetrain and XA improvements.

Unfortunately, there was no special vin code for these cars, and most were raced...many destroyed, be very hard to find one these days.

trolololololololo

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #143
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I love stirring the pot at times. It makes the thread a little more interesting.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #144
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO 3 View Post
One problem with those 2, one of one examples as rare muscle cars is if you ask any US car guy they would say both have 2 doors too many to be called muscle cars in the first place.......the bottom line is anyone can spin the muscle car definition to suit themselves and in this case they have

Cheers Mick
Agreed... but the same could be said for the definition of a GT.... another search of the "beast of all knowledge" (google ) came up with this...

"GT (Grand Turismo) a two-door coupe The Grand Tourer, Grand Turismo, Grand Routiere, or GT terms are the most misused and abused terms in motoring. The ideal is of a car with the ability to cross a continent at speed and in comfort yet provide driving thrills when demanded and it should exhibit the following:

Ideally, the GT car should have been devised by its progenitors as a Grand Tourer, with all associated considerations in mind."
"It should be able to transport at least two in comfort with their luggage and have room to spare - probably in the form of a two plus two (2+2) seating arrangement."
The engines "should be able to cope with cruising comfortably at the upper limits on all continental roads without drawbacks or loss of useable power."
The design, both "inside and out, should be geared toward complete control by the driver."
Its "chassis and suspension provide suitable handling and roadholding on all routes" during travels.
Grand tourers emphasize comfort and handling over straight-out high performance or spartan accommodations. Historically, most GTs have been front-engined with rear-wheel drive, which creates more space for the cabin than mid-mounted engine layouts. Softer suspensions, greater storage, and more luxurious appointments add to their driving appeal."

Now... as most of us understand... FOMOCO Aus muddied the waters and redefined the meaning of "GT" when it created the 4 door XR GT.... a tradition that has continued in Oz (off & on) right up until today ! But... if you were to assume that the description above was closer to how the rest of the world might define what a "GT" is... then you would have to consider that the Landau would be one of the only locally built cars which best fits the description (More so than the XA/B Falcon GT Coupes do)... that, and perhaps even the Monarodores built later on... as they are the only 2+2 coupes built here (that I can think of !??) as they have 4 individual seats (as opposed to 2 Buckets + 1 rear bench to seat 3)
Mitsubishi then made a complete mockery of the whole thing when they released their Ozzy 380 GT No-one I know ever remotely considered that to be a "GT" or a "Muscle Car"... not in even the broadest terms !!!
Not witstanding Mitsubishi's crude attempt at badge engineering... I personally think that FOMOCO Aus (or probably closer still... Bill Bourke) not only redefined the meaning of the term "GT", for us Aussies (& to a lesser degree, the world) when Ford built the XRGT... but also redefined the meaning of the term "Muscle car" with the subsequent GTHO models. The only "real" difference being the inclusion of two extra doors !

Whatever the purists might like to think.... I'd say the definition of "what is a Muscle Car ?" these days... is something that is "Tough"... whatever configuration it comes in !
And the definition of "what is a GT?".... for me it starts with the Falcon... and carries on from there !

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #145
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a follow on from page 4's discussion of the P76 wagon.

This was in a (not so) recent edition of Street Machine...... thought it might be of interest to some.

ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #146
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thank god there is only one left, that's a shocker.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #147
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

A shocker????/ I would give my lefty for that. Some reason have always had a soft spot for the P76~ Sad I know

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #148
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
A shocker????/ I would give my lefty for that. Some reason have always had a soft spot for the P76~ Sad I know
Funny that, they make me soft too!

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #149
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm a believer of this.

If you find the article (I think it was Wheels July 1972) in which those famous photos of the three red race cars in Lot 6 featured, the first line of the article was something like "the first batch of 100 XA GTHOs have just rolled off the production line, with the final 100 scheduled to be built in the next month."

It also had a copy of a Ford internal memo to dealers stating "Gentleman, production of the XA GTHO has commenced" It then talked about forwarding sales receipts back to Head Office in preparation for submission to CAMS in order to ensure it qualifies for racing"

Why would Wheels and Ford lie? Where did the supposed 100 GTHOs end up? Most logical is replated as GTs
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #150
PlukaDuck

The other 97 where plated as landau
Allowing moffat to use 4 wheel disc brakes