Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #31
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Default Re: Back in the day what car would you buy

HQ SS Sedan, red, 253 and auto....
HQ GTS Monaro, black, 350 and 4 speed
XY Falcon 500, yellow, 250-2V, 4 speed
XC GS Ute, 351, Auto
XE ESP, monza red, 4 speed
WB Magnum ute, 308, auto
VN SS Group A
ED XR8 Sprint, Cobalt blue, manual, cruise, bodykit….. :'(

I'd be happy to have had those if I'd been there at the time.... Kinda happy with what I've got that has been built since the mid 90's

Last edited by Interceptor; 27-08-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #32
mondeomatureguy

Hi, Hayseed,
If only we could get a crystal ball mate to look into the future?

Like you there's not a day I don't think about the Valiant Charger i had and its not just the money it was really fun to drive.

I used to work with a guy way back in in 1977 when I was a very young guy and this guy had a XW GTHOand he was complaining to me about how much petrol it uses, so he was going to sell it.

Mondeomatureguy
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #33
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
Hi, Hayseed,

Like you there's not a day I don't think about the Valiant Charger i had and its not just the money it was really fun to drive.

I used to work with a guy way back in in 1977 when I was a very young guy and this guy had a XW GTHOand he was complaining to me about how much petrol it uses, so he was going to sell it.

Mondeomatureguy
What engine was in it.

Big brothers mate had a VH Charger 265 2 BBL manual and picked me up from school and fanged it about I thought it was great, he was sniffing around looking for young girls haha the next day as we were on parade he came and did a burnout out front, looked real good and the Principle was that impressed that he wanted to know who he was well that was the end of them stunts from him.

The only other Charger I have been in was my aunties 215 auto base model.

Big bro had another mate with a 318 auto Charger, I remember him trying to start it in a shed at about 5 in the morning, that sound I love it eeerrerr eeerreerr clunk clunk clunk eeerreerr and so on love it! best sounding starter motor ever. it was just so loud in that shed and I was say 20m away.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #34
mondeomatureguy

It had a 265 Hemi with a 4 speed gear box. I went to a few car shows with it and I brought it from a lady in Aulbury.

I wanted a V8 to start with but couldn't find one in good condition then found the one I brought in Aulbury.
Old 28-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #35
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
Hi, Hayseed,

Mondeomatureguy
I Agree, with this ^^^^^^^ It's not about the money..
I had a fair bit of Fun & did a hell of a lot of growing up in the 9 years I had That Ute..!!!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2019, 11:14 PM   #36
mondeomatureguy

Hi Hayseed,
not sure how old you are buy I am 60 now and I also had lots of fun in my charger.

My ex wife cleaned me out in 2002 after a divorce and I went as long as I could but in the end I had to sell my charger in 2005-2006.

I remember once I went for a drive down to Wollongong and on the way back I was going along Appin Rd and as I came into Appin there was a RBT set up. The young copper came around and said to me "Hi driver what kind of car is this"?

I got back on my feet again financially and meet a lovely lady whom I married and in 2012 we brought a New MC Ford Mondeo which I still have. Unlike the charger when you put your foot on the brakes its stops, good on fuel, and has air conditioning and its really nice to drive still.

I miss the Chargers 4 speed manual, the grunt from the 265 hemi engine,and it was easy to work on.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #37
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I did like the 265 Hemi Ranger wagon I had, while I was rebuilding the Holden PVan. Geeze, that thing went............ until the first corner.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #38
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a 3 speed column shift VG coupe bought as a wreck, used on the farm. 245 Hemi. Driving 150km between two farms (on permit) it dusted girlfriend's WB 253 ute, left it behind!

Not bad for a paddock basher. Those coupes were pretty fun cars.
Old 30-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #39
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I did like the 265 Hemi Ranger wagon I had, while I was rebuilding the Holden PVan. Geeze, that thing went............ until the first corner.
Brothers wife had a VH wagon 215 auto what a bucket of and chewed the juice. some of the locals sole it in Alice Springs and cut all the seats up. back in 1986, it's a wonder that them poor fellas did not kill themselves in that barge.

My Dad's VG 245 2bbl ute chewed the juice but then I got it dyno tuned by some racing bloke in north Brisbane in 1973 and it performed like a rocket and was then much better on fuel. I seen it do 115mph many a time but dad said he wound it past 120mph but with me in the car and that highway at the time was I think 15ft wide bitumen, you could get two cars on it going by but most dropped 2 wheels of in the dirt when doing so.

We had them ugly wire net setups in front of the windscreen as well and when I first got my lic I would have another star in my laminated windscreen every month for sure.

I think them old wooden bridges must of been 15ft wide as well and trucks would pass by with no problems but nowadays they have turned that type of bridge into give way now.
Old 30-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #40
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

E49 charger.
VK Group A

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #41
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Hillman Imp Series II

Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #42
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can vouch for a 68 xtgt auto. im lucky enough to have a low mile one and between the trans and the comfortable seats I cant get enough of driving it
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #43
mondeomatureguy

Hi Cav,
nice Hillman Imp have you had a long time Cav?
Old 30-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #44
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Had a 3 speed column shift VG coupe bought as a wreck, used on the farm. 245 Hemi. Driving 150km between two farms (on permit) it dusted girlfriend's WB 253 ute, left it behind!

Not bad for a paddock basher. Those coupes were pretty fun cars.
Yes my brothers mate had VG Pacer coupe 245 2 barrel and he put a 4 barrel on it and had lake pipes on it but we had a only no hopper mechanic's that did not truly know how to tune a car as all that they did was use STD factory spec, they did not know any better and so this bloke VG only went slower with the 4BBL so he went back to the 2BBL.
That was back in 1978.
He ran over our dog one night out front I heard it and when he came back say 3 months and he was so surprised that the dog was fine, he said that he did not want to come back that night because he thought it was dead etc but I said well mum had driven over that bastard maybe 12 times and my self 3 times, it sleeps under the car and when you fire it up it try's to get out and it just runs around the house a couple times yelping and all is fine. it's a dingo x Labrador that we got for 50c and lived for 20 years at least and I would pull 50 ticks off it every week and we had a Blue healer and never one tick.
One day in Darwin doing a job the people went away and their mutt had ticks all over it's back and ball bag I found some baygon sprayed it and then just troweled off the ticks, he liked me the next day real happy. he was real sick looking before that, but boy do they know that them their ticks are a problem.
Old 30-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #45
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Hillman Imp Series II

Hillman Hunter now that may impress me, a teacher had one with gauges and all. we would say I am the Hunter have nose will hunt. some cartoon back in the days it was off.

But yes good Hillman Imp I can appreciate that, I even have a soft spot for the first Toyota Corolla's as a mates mum had one for years.
Old 30-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #46
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hillman Imp Series II

Them were the days, the old windscreen protector, young people would not have a clue what they were. love it.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #47
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
E49 charger.
VK Group A
You know I was all for them their VK Group A back in the day I knew 2 blokes with them.
I was like core blimey listen to that their cam and all, it were music to my ears, what a car !
I thought that them days were but dead but hear it was.

I would have the Charger with 265 2 BBL and yellow rocker cover and open chrome air filter and tuned right they go well but the triples on the E49 and all well yes and no, I think that they were the same with the XU-1 not many really went as well as they could of because no one truly knew how to truly tune them for the best performance.
My Mate with a hot G Pack with twin Stromberg's hosed off every triple carb XU-1 that was the best in town, they were looking for the nitrous lines under the intake manifold looking up eyes opened up wide in amazement thinking WTF.
Old 31-08-2019, 06:53 AM   #48
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Hillman Imp Series II

I can just see the big block's air cleaner sticking through the boot vents. Nice Cav.

Old 31-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #49
roKWiz
Cabover nut

A little left field but I was very close to buying a Mark 2 Jaguar once, from memory it was a racing package model (sorta a UK Homologation pack) had the 3.4 I6, triple SU's, exhaust work, ported head etc, knock off wire wheels in British Raging Green and the strapped down bonnet. Beautiful car but couldn't see myself driving it at 18, got talked out of my second choice HX LE (second hand $7000) due to the financing insurance at the time on 2 door coupes. Kicking myself.
Ended up buying a 308 HZ Premier.

3 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #50
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
Them were the days, the old windscreen protector, young people would not have a clue what they were. love it.
Nor do they understand that; Every "bullseye" in a modern Laminated 'screen meant a lap full of broken Glass with an Old Toughened 'screen..

Those mesh guards saved a lot of 'screens back in the day..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #51
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Nor do they understand that; Every "bullseye" in a modern Laminated 'screen meant a lap full of broken Glass with an Old Toughened 'screen..

Those mesh guards saved a lot of 'screens back in the day..
Yep !

But you know what my dad and his brother were on the highway and a brick fell off a passing truck and hit the windscreen of bro's XM Falcon, that's a brick with the frog in it not the light ones today with holes in them and it just bounced right off, you are looking at a brick doing maybe 120mph and I thought what BS! as I have seen more broken windows in my time with little stones hitting it shatter.

I had a rock the size of a big potato that was tossed up by a trailer come up and totally smash the laminated XB GT windscreen and it hit the radio speaker on the dash.

But one day down the bush we had an old XL Falcon and we tried to smash the windscreen but could not, I hit it with a 9ft long 3in thick steel pipe and just about broke my hands off and tossed a wheel rim at it and all but no way and then we went down their the windscreen was shattered. it was the same with my uncles XM than in the morning it was shattered in the garage over night due to the cold I would think.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #52
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Oooh, parked behind this lovely HX Sandman this morn, thought it was cool we both had factory rally type wheels and old school chrome dress rims.
We had a great conversation about all things panel van, I offered to swap but he wouldn't have it..

Love the number plate

6 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #53
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
Hillman Hunter now that may impress me, a teacher had one with gauges and all. we would say I am the Hunter have nose will hunt. some cartoon back in the days it was off.

But yes good Hillman Imp I can appreciate that, I even have a soft spot for the first Toyota Corolla's as a mates mum had one for years.
The Hillman Hunter GT won the London to Sydney Marathon

5 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #54
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
The Hillman Hunter GT won the London to Sydney Marathon

Looks like they bagged an Antelope on their way through Africa, no wait they're the spare tyres up on the roof.

Those wheels look great, sorta the same as Mini Cooper S.
Picture looks like Park St Sydney, between the Hyde Parks, I can see the block sandstone wall there.

3 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #55
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Just look at those fins!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 31-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #56
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Looks like they bagged an Antelope on their way through Africa, no wait they're the spare tyres up on the roof.

Those wheels look great, sorta the same as Mini Cooper S.
Picture looks like Park St Sydney, between the Hyde Parks, I can see the block sandstone wall there.
Only won because Andrew Cowan was driving

I believe the wheels are Minilites.
Old 31-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #57
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hillman Imp Series II

You know Cav,the Hillman Imp and Triumph Herald would be tied for the title of worst excuse for a motor car ever put on this earth
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #58
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Only won because Andrew Cowan was driving
.....with a little help from Greg Stanton and Allan Chilcott

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #59
ad2013

Well I slotted into your conclusions with my old man buying an EH Premier 179 in 1964 (Portsea Blue).
By the time I got to driving in the early 70's I ended up with a HK Belmont 161 to get me started. But really an HK Monaro 327 V8 was an Aussie car I would have liked to own.
Ahh! to have one now
https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...monaro-gts-327
ad2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #60
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

interesting titbit,,, Hillman Imps would not beat a Cortina GT... I found out the hard way, with a bang, spray of oil everywhere and bits scattered over the road....

Wish I had pics of mums Fiat 500 Bambino with the roof open and christmas tree coming home.