Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-04-2015, 10:24 PM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default Everyones buying a new car.... is it your turn?

It seems like everyone i know is buying a new car at the moment. When i say new I mean brand spanking new.

From nissan patrols to toyota hilux or audi s4.. even my next door neighbour just picked up a brand new mazda cx5.

I thought about the cars i own and i admit they arent new. They might be mint but not new. New cars have a fresh look about them, more gadgets and gizmos to show off. Plenty to talk about at a friendly gathering or family get together. Plus you can say im driving a $60,000 car (Or whatever the value is). You cant say much when driving an aged car. (3 years+)

Not having a new car when everyone around you is buying new is like being at a pub and its your turn for a round of drinks.

Do you feel like its your turn to buy a new car? To keep up with the jones? Or do i let everyone get the better of me.
Old 30-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Default Re: Everyones buying a new car.... is it your turn?

Your answer is Prozac and a good mental health practitioner..............
Old 30-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #3
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

* Plus you can say im driving a $60,000 car (Or whatever the value is).

* You cant say much when driving an aged car. (3 years+)

*Not having a new car when everyone around you is buying new is like being at a pub and its your turn for a round of drinks.

* keep up with the jones? Or do i let everyone get the better of me.
Mate, how old are you?

Grow up.
Old 30-04-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
HULK_I6T
Banned

I was having a chat with a mate last night who is just about to buy a new car. He says do you still have the xr6 turbo. I said yep, then he says he traded his fg xr6 turbo in 2013 and with 50,000km got $13000 for it (trade in).

Mine is mint and has 7000km on it, but i cant escape the old what is the average trade in price heckle.

I need to buy new.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 30-04-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 30-04-2015, 10:44 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Mate, how old are you?

Grow up.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 30-04-2015, 10:50 PM   #6
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh dear I wonder where this synaptic misfire is going to land

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 30-04-2015, 11:00 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

everytime the line is cast, there is a whole school of fish, just waiting to attack the lure as soon as it hits the water.

if you can't contribute in a polite manner, then just hit the 'back' arrow and browse another topic. its not a difficult concept.

whilst the current subject matter appears to be very shallow minded, you can't deny that there is a huge pressure on society to 'keep up' with all the materialistic rubbish that is thrown at us. i have no doubt cars are a part of that for many people.

there is a big chunk of the population that can't survive without social media, and must have the latest gadgets as soon as they hit the shelves.

new car sales in australia are at an all time high at the moment, so laugh all you want, but there are people out there that do actually feel the need to buy a new car to keep up the appearance.
Old 30-04-2015, 11:02 PM   #8
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just bought myself an XB ute as a daily driver, not new but should get me around for the next 10-20 years.

And looks better and has more class than any of the modern rubbish available these days.

Never heard of chicks saying, wow look at that guy driving a smart car

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

5 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Just bought myself an XB ute as a daily driver, not new but should get me around for the next 10-20 years.

And looks better and has more class than any of the modern rubbish available these days.

Never heard of chicks saying, wow look at that guy driving a smart car
news flash. buying cars to impress chicks doesn't work, regardless of the car.

ironically, if a chick were to be impressed, they would probably be more drawn to a smart car, than a 40 year old relic.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 11:14 PM   #10
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dream: I'd pick up my new FGX and a nice RAV4 for my wife and we'd have two brand spanking new cars in our driveway!!

Reality: Future is not that rosy if you work in the power industry in SA so I'll be hitting 500,000kms in my wagon next year. We may just buy a second hand RAV4 for my wife to replace her 1991 Corolla. Hmm may just get a new driveway laid down in the near future too.

As much as it pains me to say it - I've never had a new car and whilst I would love one, it has never been that high a priority.

My Gallery Photos Here
4 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #11
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
everytime the line is cast, there is a whole school of fish, just waiting to attack the lure as soon as it hits the water.

if you can't contribute in a polite manner, then just hit the 'back' arrow and browse another topic. its not a difficult concept.
No I can't ...... its like a train wreck. I just have to look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T
You cant say much when driving an aged car. (3 years+)
Yes I know! Always feel out of it with my old 4 year old GT ...... or the 9 year old F6 ..... or the 40 year old Landau isn't a talking point what so ever. Not that I seek the attention some do.

And no, not everyone. ALWAYS exaggerating ...... and I am not even exaggerating. LOL!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
6 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 11:22 PM   #12
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
news flash. buying cars to impress chicks doesn't work, regardless of the car.

ironically, if a chick were to be impressed, they would probably be more drawn to a smart car, than a 40 year old relic.
You have clearly never driven an XB ute then…

The chicks I know would not even consider getting into a smart car I can promise you that.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 11:23 PM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i rock out old bombs

i feel good
Old 30-04-2015, 11:24 PM   #14
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6WGN View Post
Dream: I'd pick up my new FGX and a nice RAV4 for my wife and we'd have two brand spanking new cars in our driveway!!

Reality: Future is not that rosy if you work in the power industry in SA so I'll be hitting 500,000kms in my wagon next year. We may just buy a second hand RAV4 for my wife to replace her 1991 Corolla. Hmm may just get a new driveway laid down in the near future too.

As much as it pains me to say it - I've never had a new car and whilst I would love one, it has never been that high a priority.
The thing about new cars is they are not new for long, they get old fast, I have bought new cars in the past, have had three, two having been Fords, still own one, but its 8 years old now.

Will probably never buy another.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2015, 11:26 PM   #15
Cranky243

Quote:
It seems like everyone i know is buying a new car at the moment. When i say new I mean brand spanking new.

From nissan patrols to toyota hilux or audi s4.. even my next door neighbour just picked up a brand new mazda cx5.

I thought about the cars i own and i admit they arent new. They might be mint but not new. New cars have a fresh look about them, more gadgets and gizmos to show off. Plenty to talk about at a friendly gathering or family get together. Plus you can say im driving a $60,000 car (Or whatever the value is). You cant say much when driving an aged car. (3 years+)

Not having a new car when everyone around you is buying new is like being at a pub and its your turn for a round of drinks.

Do you feel like its your turn to buy a new car? To keep up with the jones? Or do i let everyone get the better of me.
If your partner gets like a sausage roll down the hallway are you going to ask her to tighten her game or you going to trade it in?
Old 30-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #16
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Gym works wonders.
Old 30-04-2015, 11:57 PM   #17
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

whilst the current subject matter appears to be very shallow minded, you can't deny that there is a huge pressure on society to 'keep up' with all the materialistic rubbish that is thrown at us. i have no doubt cars are a part of that for many people.

there is a big chunk of the population that can't survive without social media, and must have the latest gadgets as soon as they hit the shelves.

new car sales in australia are at an all time high at the moment, so laugh all you want, but there are people out there that do actually feel the need to buy a new car to keep up the appearance.
As they say you play u pay, it is social media as you pointed out hence if you post something that appears to be simplistic in theory you leave yourself open to a little bit of ridicule, deserved or not .
After all one could watch t.v for free which borders on the same content ( think A.C.A ), and achieve the same level of angst, in this case people have the ability to reply .
Personally over the years I have found that the hulk isn't easily offended, in fact he appears to quite enjoy the banter. Heaps of people have tried but the swear filter cuts in !!!

Last edited by GREGL; 01-05-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:07 AM   #18
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I was having a chat with a mate last night who is just about to buy a new car. He says do you still have the xr6 turbo. I said yep, then he says he traded his fg xr6 turbo in 2013 and with 50,000km got $13000 for it (trade in).

Mine is mint and has 7000km on it, but i cant escape the old what is the average trade in price heckle.

I need to buy new.
Your mate is a twat, I got $21000 for my FG XR6 on a trade in & I thought I was robbed!!!
Old 01-05-2015, 12:12 AM   #19
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I'm happy with the car I've got. I don't want a new one.
Extra cars, maybe, but not new. I'm happy to let someone else take the hit on depreciation.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
This user likes this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 12:18 AM   #20
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
New cars have a fresh look about them
New might be something to do with it.

Quote:
more gadgets and gizmos to show off.
All your threads are about this.

Sell your 7000km xr6t and go buy a new car.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:48 AM   #21
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Do you suffer Inferiority complex or do you just like showing off?

Which is it?
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 12:56 AM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've bought two new cars, not worth it if you chop and change cars like me.

Who gives a flying F about new car smell and what the "Jones" think.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 01:17 AM   #23
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

My old 2014 GTE is doing fine ...
Keep your car, manage your finances better..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 01-05-2015, 03:14 AM   #24
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Old 01-05-2015, 07:21 AM   #25
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know how you sleep at night Hulk with so many important things on your mind.

Maybe time for another username change, my suggestion is ShallowHulk
6 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 07:37 AM   #26
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Could we have a vote on how many new threads per month Hulk can post ?
4 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 07:54 AM   #27
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
I don't know how you sleep at night Hulk with so many important things on your mind.

Maybe time for another username change, my suggestion is ShallowHulk
Shallowhulk? Im the one being guilt tripped by others into buying a new car. Why am i the shallow one? I dont think i need a new car but society leaves you behind if you dont keep pace.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #28
superyob
Banned

^^^ Only if you let it. Am I buying a new car? No...
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #29
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never buy brand new, I try and buy low Km and 1-2yr's old still with a bit of factory warranty left, this way I don't take such a massive hit in depreciation and still drive a newish muscle car........in saying that though I have spent a fortune doing this and always taken a loss on every vehicle, do I care, not really, can't take it with you :o)
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
Old 01-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #30
HULK_I6T
Banned

Buying new is a statement to society and your peers.

It says "i deserve to drive new, i can afford it"

So if your amongst peers all buying new, if you dont do your bit, your saying "i cant keep up with you". It gives them an edge and an easy way to shut you down.

Do you like it if you go outside and your neighbour has a brand new car sitting there in his driveway for you to look at? and he makes a smug comment about it every time you see him? Then your old car is sitting there?

Plus being a car enthusiast, we should be the ones buying new more often, not pampering an old used car.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 01-05-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Closed Thread