Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
QualityCounts

Default Aurion SX6, Falcon XR6 and Commodore SV6 comparison test

Interesting article from the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=21521&vf=7

QualityCounts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
The Aurion is not the best driver's car here
Its an article for grandpas.

Quote:
The Falcon....has over-sensitive steering
I keep reading this statement in SMH articles and I find it to be a load of crap.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
Boss 290

i dont trust drive. i find it hard to believe that the aurion could be at the same speed as the falcon with only 75 kilos in weight difference. reason being is that the falcon puts out 383 torque at 2500 revs but the aurion only puts out 336 torque at 4700 revs
Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
Boss 290

it has to rev out nearly twice as hard just to make less torque...it sounds fishy
Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2006, 11:04 PM   #5
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 290
it has to rev out nearly twice as hard just to make less torque...it sounds fishy
The acceleration figures sound possible - highly strung engines can hide their torque deficit during standing start acceleration and the 6 speed will help mask that further. Think Honda S2000 - hardly any torque down low, but rev it out and you'll find those 176kW somewhere in that 2.0.

High gear acceleration from low revs is where the Falcon would beat the Aurion comfortably, I'd expect.

Aurion is lighter and with 200kW has a reasonable amount of power. I could see how it would be similar to a Falcon in standing start acceleration.

Looking at the figures, Drive has used a fairly relaxed launch technique, so the FWD disadvantage there would be reduced as well.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2006, 11:25 PM   #6
buddha
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
The acceleration figures sound possible - highly strung engines can hide their torque deficit during standing start acceleration and the 6 speed will help mask that further. Think Honda S2000 - hardly any torque down low, but rev it out and you'll find those 176kW somewhere in that 2.0.
I agree with Lagom ... I remember in the mid-to-late 90's when they compared Commodore, Falcon, Magna & Camry V6, the Camry was always at or near the front in acceleration, even though the bigger cars had a torque-to-weight advantage.

I wonder if there is maybe less power/torque loss in FWD than RWD, perhaps.

Its a bit of a pointless exercise, as impressive as the Aurion may be, I personally feel that there is a massive traditionalist following for the RWD cars, where a good chunk of Falcon or Commodore buyers opt for them because they have RWD, and you'll never get them to drive an Aurion, 380, Sonata or any other FWD sedan.

I can't pinpoint why, but I've owned various FWD cars since 1991, and having just bought my first Falcon (95 EF Futura), there's something quite comforting about knowing its RWD, even though I haven't driven it in any way where the car would behave in a way that I could tell the difference.

If that makes sense!

Current Ford: 1996 EF Fairmont
Previous Fords: 1996 EF XR8 - 1995 EF Futura - 1993 WA Festiva - 1991 WA Festiva - 1979 TE Cortina
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2006, 11:30 PM   #7
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

i think the statement of

"is that the truth? or did you read it in the herald?" is applicable here
Old 11-11-2006, 11:31 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeStRaFe
i think the statement of

"is that the truth? or did you read it in the herald?" is applicable here
Quote of the YEAR.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 11:03 AM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

XR6 is under optioned now it seems.

Time Ford made premium sound standard on the XR6, 18's and also side bags.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualityCounts
Interesting article from the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=21521&vf=7

I think this particular paragraph regarding the Avalon, oops, Aurion was written specifically for you pal:

There were a couple of bits of hard plastic interior trim and a groan here and there (under the radio and from behind the dash) that could give an indecisive buyer an excuse not to buy one.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 11:07 AM   #11
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
But at Drive we reckon there's more to car ownership than just how well a vehicle goes around corners
There right corners are not very important, We cam always think straight lines like the yanks do:P.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
1TUFFUTE
Banned

i cant get my head around how crap a product the holden six is. Its dead set sloppy. I can see how people will like the looks tho. They are pretty good on the front. Despite this i cant see the aurion taking over the market. _
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #13
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
i cant get my head around how crap a product the holden six is. Its dead set sloppy. I can see how people will like the looks tho. They are pretty good on the front. Despite this i cant see the aurion taking over the market. _
Don't listen too what they say they wont V8 power from it. Not going too happen in a V6.
Check this out and take one out and judge for yourself.
I'm taken a Calais away December 1st, By the 4th I'll know what it's made off with over 1000km in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jA8p...elated&search=
Old 12-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #14
woteva

Quote:
What exactly do you think is crap about it?
woteva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #15
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by woteva
well rather basic things like 50% of the styling is gay. 50% of people dont like the interiors. For a car that has had 1BILLION $ spent it is way to heavy. It is also way to slow...its a slug compared to the previous model and the fuel consumption should have it selling zero models : It also has a spare tyre that will cost you a further 250$(mote weight)Dont forget it is still about 2000$ more than its competitors aswell.
And then you get people who say...but yeah, it does have improved safety and blah blah...SO IT SHOULD its a new model

Ahh well we will see how it goes...thats if it doesnt get recalled for good :
Old 13-11-2006, 09:42 PM   #16
woteva

Quote:
well rather basic things like 50% of the styling is gay. 50% of people dont like the interiors. For a car that has had 1BILLION $ spent it is way to heavy. It is also way to slow...its a slug compared to the previous model and the fuel consumption should have it selling zero models : It also has a spare tyre that will cost you a further 250$(mote weight)Dont forget it is still about 2000$ more than its competitors aswell.
And then you get people who say...but yeah, it does have improved safety and blah blah...SO IT SHOULD its a new model

Ahh well we will see how it goes...thats if it doesnt get recalled for good :
Mostly I like it. Extrerior looks good from most angles. I think front on it looks kind of awkward. I thought the handbrake was a nice touch even though this is a contentious issue even with Holden fans!! I also think its verging on ridiculous with the size. Not so much in terms of weight, comparable sized Beemer or Merc is heavier. I just think the dimensions are getting a bit out of control. VE looks massive sitting next to my VY.

Wife's keen on an SV6. Her money!
:
woteva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #17
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
i cant get my head around how crap a product the holden six is. Its dead set sloppy.
The Ecotec is a much nicer engine to drive than the alloytec rubbish. We have a number of ecotec and alloytec powered cars at work, all of the alloytec cars feel like the accelerator is attached to a big pavalova. Extreemly un responsive, no torque, the auto box has no idea, its just a horrible combination. The alloytec needs to beable to provide 350Nm under 3500rpm to make any decent impact.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #18
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
The Ecotec is a much nicer engine to drive than the alloytec rubbish. We have a number of ecotec and alloytec powered cars at work, all of the alloytec cars feel like the accelerator is attached to a big pavalova. Extreemly un responsive, no torque, the auto box has no idea, its just a horrible combination. The alloytec needs to beable to provide 350Nm under 3500rpm to make any decent impact.
Have you driven a VE V6? From what I understand they have been retuned to deliver max torque from 2600 rpm. I drove a work colleague's VE SV6 and was quite impressed with it, very smooth and feels strong down low, nowhere near like you have described it.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #19
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Have you driven a VE V6? From what I understand they have been retuned to deliver max torque from 2600 rpm. I drove a work colleague's VE SV6 and was quite impressed with it, very smooth and feels strong down low, nowhere near like you have described it.
I took the VE SV6 for a test drive and it canes the falcon in build quality but it felt gutless compared to the Barra. I guessing its the torque deficit and increased weight which are to blame.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 02:20 PM   #20
MarkAW

I doubt that this drive jerk has even driven the Aurion to begin with, and possibly not driven the XR6 or SV6 either in a comparitive situation. Even if he did, was it a couple of K's along a suburban road or 100 laps of Mt Panorama?

I have noticed that a large number of comments contained within the report read suspiciously like those contained in other comparisons that I've recently seen on the net. Ford's so called touchy steering in corners was mentioned in a very in depth report done by Wheels back in early 2005. The BFII was susposed to fix this - maybe maybe not.

If people make their buying decision on what some unqualified jouro writes then they only have themselves to blame. Journo are qualified to string word together and that's it!!! You only have to look at channel 9's (Sydney) "The Car Show" for a perfect lack of mechanical understanding - see a lot of stupid celebs pretend they are the b-all of the motoring world.

:
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 12:08 AM   #21
Rollin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha
I wonder if there is maybe less power/torque loss in FWD than RWD, perhaps.
FWD drivetrains are more efficient as the drive does not have to turn through 90 degrees as a RWD setup does, and there is no big heavy tailshaft to spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woteva
Have you driven one? A-pillars prevent any meaningful vision when turning corners, and the rear-vision is an absolute joke!!! You could nearly hide a semi in the blind spots and reversing is a nightmare. The HSVs are even worse due to the spoiler on the boot.

Did you know the wheel nuts have to be torqued to 175Nm? Who in the hell can manage 175Nm (either doing up or undoing) on the side of the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick__Aussie
I'm taken a Calais away December 1st, By the 4th I'll know what it's made off with over 1000km in it.
Check the carpet in the passenger footwell of the car they give you, If its damp, ask for another car - the water pulled out of the air from the AC tends to drip into the carpet rather than out from under the car...
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #22
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
Check the carpet in the passenger footwell of the car they give you, If its damp, ask for another car - the water pulled out of the air from the AC tends to drip into the carpet rather than out from under the car...
Thanks i'll get my hands down there and have a feel, Epically in summer time the last thing i need is too overheat in the middle of nowhere in victoria.
Old 16-11-2006, 09:27 AM   #23
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

[QUOTE=Rollin]Who in the hell can manage 175Nm (either doing up or undoing) on the side of the road?[QUOTE]

Me.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Let me get this straight. The Aurion is better because it has more equipment, but it doesn't drive as well. OK then. :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 12:17 AM   #25
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Your thoughts on the Aurion can be left there also.
http://blogs.drive.com.au/2006/11/to..._than_f_1.html

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 01:27 AM   #26
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see Quality Counts is back sprouting only goodness about the evil Toyota's. What about ergonomics?

When i am 80, I promise i will only Buy Toyota's, as that will be the trendy thing to do in the nursing home which i will probably end up in.....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #27
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should have tested a Mitsubishi 380 as well but that would be too cruel.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #28
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oooooh another quality "I hate jurnos" thread on FFAU.

Sometimes I don't think you guys give the opposition enough credit when it should be due.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #29
xr8man83
Grunt Files

god they controdict themselves all the time they are a joke
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 09:43 PM   #30
1TUFFUTE
Banned

yeah ok fair enough..but i like others still look at the stats...which do tell a lot about a new car.My earlier comment brought these stat issues up.
By the way i just watched a new hsv drive past and it had the worst stripe kit ive ever seen in my LIFE.Just thought id mention that