Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2005, 09:26 PM   #1
The Taipan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New Adventra ads

Have you seen the new Adventra ads? They are pretty good - shame about the car... they might just sway a few more sheep to purchase them though...

The Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 09:38 AM   #2
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

yeah they are not too bad, i like the one where there is a sign post saying 'adventra next 10kms' and the animals give way
Old 06-07-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Taipan
they might just sway a few more sheep to purchase them though...
well thats the idea of marketing and promotion now isnt ? to dupe the idiots
Old 06-07-2005, 11:06 AM   #4
Charbs
AKA ChuBBz

i had a good chuckle at the ad. very clever marketing.
Charbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 11:35 PM   #5
rick69
Banned

Just saw the ad. Looks like good work from Holden's marketing department (as usual).
The car looks good in the ad too.... you'd have to be pretty one eyed to say it doesn't.
rick69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #6
turboute
turboute

(harold Scruby voice on) I think it encourages off-road hooning...(harold scruby voice off)

Seriously, Ford advertising and marketing people should have been taking note of what holden's have been doing since a long time ago. Now we need a good Territory add to sway the sheep back away from the dark side...
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #7
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Until Ford bring out a V8 (or at least a Turbo-6) in the Territory, I'll always look at it as a "soccer-mom" (pardon the Americanism) soft-roader .. a tall, fat, overweight loungeroom on wheels. As far as most owners are concerned it could be powered by a Victa lawn mower engine. At least Holden started with the V8 and then watered it down. Oh, I don't specifically care that more people buy Territory's .. it shows they are more "sheep" buyers than Adventra owners.

Ford should be looking deployment of its AWD system in AT LEAST the ute platform ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 04:10 PM   #8
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec
well thats the idea of marketing and promotion now isnt ? to dupe the idiots
Oh sh!t! thanks for the heads up, I almost bought one! :

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #9
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick69
Just saw the ad. Looks like good work from Holden's marketing department (as usual).
The car looks good in the ad too.... you'd have to be pretty one eyed to say it doesn't.
That's funny coming from someone with a Commy for an avatar and Future VE owner ontop of it :

Last edited by johnydep; 07-07-2005 at 06:40 PM. Reason: highlight - you'd have to be pretty one eyed to say it doesn't
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 06:14 PM   #10
rick69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
That's funny coming from someone with a Commy for an avatar and Future VE owner ontop of it :
I'm not even going to bother.....................
Old 07-07-2005, 06:36 PM   #11
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All hail the mighty territory.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 10:58 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Taipan
Have you seen the new Adventra ads? They are pretty good - shame about the car... they might just sway a few more sheep to purchase them though...
Just more wasted advertising money trying to flog a dead horse. Selling about 100 a month how long would it take to pay back the cost of the ads.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 11:48 PM   #13
rick69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Just more wasted advertising money trying to flog a dead horse. Selling about 100 a month how long would it take to pay back the cost of the ads.
The initial projections for the Adventra were only about 450-500 per month. It sold 352 last month, so its not that far off the mark.
People are forgetting that the Adventra was always intended to be sold as a niche vehicle, not a volume seller like territory.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #14
Franky
Bring back the Phase

I don't get the ad. Considering how big Australia is and how little Adventra sold, it wouldn't be possible to see enough of them to place an sign in the outback let alone one cross there at that moment.
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2005, 05:38 PM   #15
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forgetting for a short time it was for a sh**box I saw the add with the Emu last night and had a good chuckle. Then I thought what they were selling and laughed even harder.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:27 PM   #16
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

I think they are revolting cars. It looks like a seriously weird VY or something, it's UUUUUGLY.

I don't care how good ads are (not that I've seen this one), it doesn't convince me to buy what they are selling. I just appreciate a good ad.

I do like the Ford Focus ads, always appreciated the "I see YOU baybeee" lol. I also like the new ones with Jackie O and Andrew Gee, they were well thought out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
The initial projections for the Adventra were only about 450-500 per month. It sold 352 last month, so its not that far off the mark.
People are forgetting that the Adventra was always intended to be sold as a niche vehicle, not a volume seller like territory.
Which is half the original sales projections, even after it was hugely discounted.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:15 AM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Racer
I don't get the ad. Considering how big Australia is and how little Adventra sold, it wouldn't be possible to see enough of them to place an sign in the outback let alone one cross there at that moment.
No ... it's a case that Skippy stopped in wonder ... cos he'd never seen one before on (or off-road) for that matter. He's probably still scratching his head wondering what that piece of was that flew OFF the road ... hee hee
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 07:18 AM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Forgetting for a short time it was for a sh**box I saw the add with the Emu last night and had a good chuckle. Then I thought what they were selling and laughed even harder.
The reason why he didn't race was cos he was bluffing ... he knew the emu was going to absolutely flog him anyway :the_finge
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #20
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive maybe seen 2 of them since they came out. I think the problem with them is because they are just a wagon with 4WD bolted to them. I dont think they look bad but i think people want them to differ more in looks to justify the price also.

Also those plastic flarey things dont do any justice and at the very least should be colour coded. The Avalanche though on the other hand is the fastest of its class somewhere although i could be wrong. Ive never seen one of those.

Ive always loved the Holden ads. They are creative. My favourite ones are the SS Ute ads.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 12:43 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
The Avalanche though on the other hand is the fastest of its class somewhere although i could be wrong
The thing about that though, is that any serious buyer of a 4WD will tell you that theyd much rather have a car that can handle a variety of conditions instead of just being a straight out rocket. The Avalanche is built for people who think "ooo lets buy an Adventra to look cool in it", but then realise theres a different badge on the Avalanche and suddenly have to have that.

And of course, everybody knows the reason they called it the Avalanche - because just like the real thing, you NEVER want to be caught in one.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:59 PM   #22
Danny
GT4.

I'm gonna go against the grain from the first few impressions of the ad here and say that I dont like it.

Of late, Holden have been going to tack-o-rama with their ad campaigns for their latest models. Anyone remember the fake yank accents of the Cross 8 on mars ad?? Now this one! It to me just looks unprofessional. Especially for a car that doesn't sell anyways.

Territory ads work because they look like ford has gone to the effort to think about which audience to target. The "amazing" campaign and Alex Lloyd theme is brilliant and works well with the car (As did the New Order theme on the original Falcon ads), and the effects used in the ad are pretty impressive. Just comes across to me as sophisticated and professional where Holden seems to always have some desert yobbo theme or paddock yobbo theme that just doesn't gel with me.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 01:06 PM   #23
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny

Territory ads work because they look like ford has gone to the effort to think about which audience to target. The "amazing" campaign and Alex Lloyd theme is brilliant and works well with the car (As did the New Order theme on the original Falcon ads), and the effects used in the ad are pretty impressive. Just comes across to me as sophisticated and professional where Holden seems to always have some desert yobbo theme or paddock yobbo theme that just doesn't gel with me.
Maybe that's their target audience, no one else will buy an Adventra :
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 04:25 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I'm gonna go against the grain from the first few impressions of the ad here and say that I dont like it.

Of late, Holden have been going to tack-o-rama with their ad campaigns for their latest models. Anyone remember the fake yank accents of the Cross 8 on mars ad?? Now this one! It to me just looks unprofessional. Especially for a car that doesn't sell anyways.

I think their ads would truly hit the target if they were similar to the McCains pizza ads with the cavemen in them. Just give them a flannelette shirt and a mullet cut and whala. Target audience reached.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:39 PM   #25
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Just give them a flannelette shirt and a mullet cut and whala. Target audience reached.
Ok... I'm going to hassle your use of the French language.

The "whala" you are referring to is actually the French word "voila". Now there is an accent on the "a" at the end which I can't type on this keyboard (I'm sure there is a way, but I cbf!), and is pronounced "vwal-A".

It literally means "look there" or "see there" or "behold".

Sorry, I just can't let it go : : :newangel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 12:10 AM   #26
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

I say Holden should go retro with their ads. I'm sure everyone remembers those great old ads, 'We love football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars!'

I've found that advertising from Holden has been quite entertaining in recent years, especially the Holden ute ads, it's just a real shame that the new advertising guidelines forbid showing 'antisocial' behaviour like doughies in the back paddock _ It's really testing the creativity from some car makers.

As for the Adventra, i dont think it's that bad a car. It's a decent concept for Australia, and as someone said in a previous post, it's hunting a niche market. The only real thing that's holding it back is terrible fuel consumption due to the 4wd gear. If that were fixed, it'd be a very smart alternative to a massive 4wd that occasionally goes bush, as even then, most big 4wd's only see dirt roads that cars could handle anyway.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:04 AM   #27
rick69
Banned

Quote:
Holden seems to always have some desert yobbo theme or paddock yobbo theme that just doesn't gel with me.
How about the Falcon ute ads........ If those guys aren't yobbos then I don't know who are.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:19 AM   #28
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
How about the Falcon ute ads........ If those guys aren't yobbos then I don't know who are.
They look like a nicer kind of yobbos, not the true flanalette shirt wearing VL driving ones.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 01:34 AM   #29
rick69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride
They look like a nicer kind of yobbos, not the true flanalette shirt wearing VL driving ones.
Nah, VL's aren't really a yobbos choice. You'd more likely see them in a Torana or Kingswood :
The Ford camp also have their fair share of flanelette shirt wearing yobbos, and I'd dare say maybe even outnumber Holden ones :hihi:

However, back to the original topic of the Adventra ads, it looks like a family theme to me, hardly anything to do with yobbos.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Ok... I'm going to hassle your use of the French language.

The "whala" you are referring to is actually the French word "voila". Now there is an accent on the "a" at the end which I can't type on this keyboard (I'm sure there is a way, but I cbf!), and is pronounced "vwal-A".

It literally means "look there" or "see there" or "behold".

Sorry, I just can't let it go : : :newangel:
Maybe you should let it go as that has nothing to do with anything. :hihi:

I've never liked the French anyway. I don't think anyone does bar themselves.