Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2005, 05:48 AM   #61
Damo
Banned

aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I kill huntsmans weekly, daddy long legs are my friend. I was doubtful about the VAC, but it seems to sufficate them, either that or they crawl out the dust bag when i'm not looking.

I have one in my wardrobe, which i didn't kill, though it's skeleton has been hanging there for about a year now. I have a fealing it was a vitim of the great Daddy Long legs. It just hangs there.

I have been dieing to put a daddy with a huntsman in like a fish tank type enclosure and let them battle it out, but i don't think it would work..

I hate Wasps heaps worse.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2005, 06:06 AM   #62
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

LOL damo, i'm always qurious as to spider battles to. We were a little bored at work one night and tried an inch and vs a daddy longlegs and the ant won easily.
Old 15-03-2005, 06:24 AM   #63
Damo
Banned

haha spider battles are good. So are Turtle V Goldfish, Mexican Fighting fish V Non Mexican, Non Fighting Fish.

Turtle V Goldfish can last anywhere from 5 minutes to a few weeks. it:

huntsmans are crap though, I think a few creepys have found a home in my XC. :

Last edited by Damo; 15-03-2005 at 06:27 AM.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2005, 07:15 AM   #64
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Time to sell the car
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 02:18 PM   #65
O-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
And some neons!!!!

But seriously guys, its only a huntsman! They won't hurt you.
My brother was bitten by one once on the ankle and most of his leg turned purple so I wouldnt say they wont hurt you if they do bite you. Its also a bit disturbing when one the size of your hand drops on you while driving.

Best way to keep the bastards out is to spray the Mortein barrier stuff around all the air vents including rear ones and in the door wells!!!

O
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #66
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint_ED
one day there was a huge huntsman in my shed, being of the young age that i was back them of 15 i put petrol on it and lit it, it ran into a pile of bookwork that was stored there for records sure enough half of my shed was alight, lucky a hose and an estinguisher was near by
OMG I am crying with laughter here - you are a d*ckhead! I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #67
kiwikid
have you seen my marbles?

napalm! nothing will get rid of spiders like napalm....
Old 16-03-2005, 02:37 PM   #68
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Nothing worse than when you out & about on a motorbike, wearing full body armour & you go thrugh a Golden Orb Spiderweb.
The webs are hell strong, I remeber goin thru it , slamming the anchors on, throwing the bike to the floor , ripping my armour & helmet off screaming like a little girl, running around waving like a complete twat..
Much to my mates amusement.
Ive also been doin about 90 odd km/hr & had one of those giant grasshoppers hit my goggles & pretty much disintergrate all over my face, they dont taste nice at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 02:47 PM   #69
bindi

My turn my turn. I have too many to tell. Memorable ones include sitting as a passenger in our old XF at a set of traffic lights. Suddenly my hubby, the driver, says "oh f&*k!" and I look over and he's got this friggin huge huntsman on his lap. I squeal and he picks the damn thing up quickly and chucks it out the window.

Also as a teenager I was having a shower and while shampoo-ing I noticed a big black funnel web on the wall... frantically I am trying to wash out the shampoo as this spider runs down the wall, across the floor, and tries to get into the bath (it was an older house where the shower was in the bath itself). I jump across to the door, shampoo running into my eyes, I run into the kitchen and grab the brand new can of mortein spray. I come back and it's trying to crawl up the side of the bath. I spray the crap outta the thing, not realising a little known fact - FUNNEL WEBS LIKE FLY SPRAY, IT GETS THEM HIGH, IT DOESN'T KILL THEM!!!

This funnel web starts running after me, I run into the hallway and the damn thing is white with foam on our hallway rug, yet it's still not dying. I didn't realise the whole time I am squealing hysterically, tears streaming down my cheeks, NAKED, with shampoo blurring my vision. The spider is still rearing up at me as I am trying to kill the bugger. A full can later, it finally starts to look sick, so I ended up SQUISHING IT WITH THE CAN as the spray had run out. And that is how my mother found me

I never ask hubby to kill spiders anymore, he's really crap at it, always misses. So now I do it, even though I am scared beyond belief. But I would prefer to do it cos at least it would be DEAD in one hit, not like him and his shocking eyesight lol.

It's funny how the one thing you are scared of seems to know it and follow you everywhere. Had tonnes in the car, I've had 6 huntsmen fall on my arm from shower curtains alone... freaky.

Now I have goosebumps... UGH!

Quote:
Old 16-03-2005, 02:51 PM   #70
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
well I was chucking an old I6 radiator in the boot which I'll be delivering to a mate for his speedway car, when something catches my eye. Darting across the parcel shelf between the 6x9s is a bloody huntsman.

I hurriedly finish sitting the radiator into the boot as I know the window of oppurtunity will be limited, and duck into the house for a shoe, torch and little bro. Come back out and its still there, just nestled right into the most rear corner between the parcel shelf and window. I gave bro the torch and he kept the light on it from outside. Jumped in the back seat, took aim with the shoe and fired :

The shoe is not narrow enough to fit into the gap at the back of the car : and the huntsman charges the long way right across the back of the parcel shelf. I continue to swing anyway and he now seems to have realised I can't get him so he darts back and forth just to toy with me, and than duck down a little crack in the passenger side corner :

Any ideas how I can get rid of it? or flush it out? If I suddenly lose control of the car on the X-Series cruise 2morrow you should be able to guess why!!!
Mate funny story, I bloody get huntsmans 2-3 times a week crauling across the windscreen or side windows doesnt worry me when there outside but just the other day parked at home for about 1/2 hour and left the passenger window down about 1" when I got back in drove down my street about 50m
and caught in the corner of my eye sitting on my sunviser about 6" from my face, stand on brake,hand brake on,dive out (luckly I have quiet street) scratching my head on how to get rid of it, see a tshirt in the car grabed it and just grabed the spider.
Mate not that worried about them just not staring at at point blank
It would have beem funny to see it.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 03:13 PM   #71
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

who's responsible for resurrecting this thread? : Damn theres some funny stories in here! I saw three huntsmans on Sunday alone, they are everywhere at my place......there was even one that fell off the roof at the local indoor tennis courts and ran off, well, tried to run off..........
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 03:50 PM   #72
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
This funnel web starts running after me, I run into the hallway and the damn thing is white with foam on our hallway rug, yet it's still not dying. I didn't realise the whole time I am squealing hysterically, tears streaming down my cheeks, NAKED, with shampoo blurring my vision. The spider is still rearing up at me as I am trying to kill the bugger.
PICS!! :P

My worst time, would have been the time I went to the toilet (for number twos if you must know LOL). Our toilet (room) is fairly narrow... I sit down as ya do, pants around my ankles, bear's nose creeping out, and there is this dirty great big huntsman. Talk about shitting myself LMAO! Here I am barely breathing, trying to be quiet as possible and opening the door before diving out into the hallway... Bastards! Stay outside!!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 04:41 PM   #73
bindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
PICS!! :P
In your dreams bud! lmao would've been interesting, I looked a sight I'm sure! I was only 14.

We used to have an outdoor toilet in that house too, so many friggin spiders. I thought it was great to finally move to the Blue Mountains with an indoor toilet... until I found out that the area has it's own brand of funnel web, fittingly known as the Blue Mountains Funnel Web, and is the most poisonous of the bunch.

The buggers can live in water for 3-4 DAYS. UGH!

PS: I don't think we really wanted the whole "number twos" explanation either!

Quote:
Old 16-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #74
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a Daddy Long Legs living above my bed in the window as a natural fly screen, till a bat ate him :( Now that was a bit freaky, heard something like a gargantuan moth flapping against the window (this at 1am half asleep) then this thrumming getting louder then softer and I'm just thinking wtf is going on outside? Then I realise the sound is inside and something is flying around my room so I start to think wtf **** could make that kind of noise.
So ducking I get out of bed and switch on the light step outside my room and close the door (french doors, lots of glass panels) so I watch this little bat fly around and around my light for a while, not even attempting to get out after I open the window.
Eventualy after a couple of false landings and generally crawling around on my stuff and bed it settles on the wall, great now I can catch it. The little bugger watches me as I get closer with a container and lid so my dad starts knocking on the door to distract it and I caught him. Cute little thing but damn did it make a lot of noise flying around when it was so quiet.
I have had a spider crawl onto my face and just sit there while I was on the ride on mower, I just put my hand on it to see what it was and think, hmm flat with lots of legs.. I really hope that's not poisonous. As I go to brush it off it crawls up onto my head inside the hardhat I was wearing, sneaky bastard. So he came off with the hard hat and in front of the ride on
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 05:39 PM   #75
Steffo
LPG > You

A few years ago, I was sleeping over a mate's house, and the room I was in, had windows everywhere and you could basically see everything in it from the moonlight. Anyway, there was this spider on the wall that was next to me, but up near the ceiling. It was black, but I don't know what kind it was. So I'm lying there, then I open my eyes, and its moved towards me. This went on for a while, until I began to search the house looking for something to kill it with. Finding nothing, I went to sleep on the floor outside the room : and the thing was still there the next morning, after my mate's dad found me on the floor..............

There's also a daddy longlegs living in my room, he moved in recently, but ever since he did, there's been no more mosquitos, so I leave him there.
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2005, 12:20 AM   #76
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Dad in his 93 Fairlane had a snake in the front passanger door where the hinge is. Dad is 150kg, shaved head and always angry but when it comes to insects it is a funny transformation to watch.
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2005, 04:49 PM   #77
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few years ago just before a work function I was asked to go to the fruit and veg shop and get a box of bananas for the girls to cut up for a fruit salad
Bought the box walked back to work , only about 10 mins , put the box in the kitchen and then all hell broke loose , when the lid was taken off the box a very angry bird eating spider was in with the bananas (this thing was arced up - hissing - jumping around on the table and reared up on its back legs like a funnel web does when provoked showing these massive bright red fangs) then one of the guys got a CO2 fire extinguisher sprayed it and froze it.
I still have the piccy somewhere if I can find it I will scan it and post it.
I then felt very wobbly and nervous after that as I had this thing in my hand and did not know it , talk about almost a quick evac into the undies....
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post