Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
sly
Sly like a G6

Default The Fat Lady sings!

I've finally found someone who's made a credible suggestion for quietening my exhaust a bit without choking it right down or going to the expense of dual smaller pipes. The old girl goes in for "surgery" tomorrow, so I finally got off my Lucky Grills and made a little vid of how it sounds now. If you listen carefully you can hear the Raptor on the overrun. Enjoy!

YouTube Vid

Hope it works OK, I was a YouTube virgin until now.

The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
ic0nic

Nice! The sound of that S/C is pure awesome!

Looks like your rear bar needs a touch up though
ic0nic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
WannabeXP

That sounds Awesome
Cheers Jason
05/2000 AUII XR6 5sp|Pacemaker 4480 Competition Headers|Lukey catback|Tickford Azzuro's|Impco LPG Conversion

Last edited by WannabeXP; 03-03-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Found a Build thread :)
WannabeXP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
sly
Sly like a G6

I'll upload a new vid probably next week or so, once I've got a few kays up & a bit of carbon through the system. What I can tell now though is that noise levels inside the car have returned to almost stock. Getting up it, the tailpipe note is deeper, louder and more mellifluous than stock, but with the windows closed it's heard as a distant note from the rear of the car rather than a roar reverberating through the whole cabin as was previously the case.

Turns out that when I had my original 3" system fitted, the shop "metal-cored" my cat with a piece of 3" pipe. No wonder my exhaust smelt dirty! It also adds noise big time. It should have been obvious I suppose from the puffs of smoke in the vid.

So, now I have a Redback metal-core cat, a proper metal matrix this time.

And one of these, a Pex (Berklee) BSO660 muffler.

And one of these, a Pex (Berklee) BSO439 chambered resonator.

The rear muffler is unchanged, still a Redback straight-through.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic0nic
Looks like your rear bar needs a touch up though
Lots of people want to touch up my bar, but few succeed

Keeps it stealth...

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeXP
That sounds Awesome
Cheers Jason
I was down your way in January, you probably heard it in town when we got to Cheeseworld.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 
Default Re: The Fat Lady sings!

sure sounds good!