Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: do you have insurance
NO I cant afford it 82 7.63%
NO insurance wont touch me the driver 22 2.05%
NO insurance dont like my car too many mods etc 35 3.26%
NO i'd rather spend that money at the pub i'm too tight 37 3.44%
YES Id' never drive without some form of insurance 899 83.63%
Voters: 1075. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19-08-2005, 11:22 PM   #301
matto76

yeah agreed!!

Old 21-08-2005, 03:33 PM   #302
CruizinEB
Banned

I do because i carnt aford it:(
Old 21-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #303
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeno
yea i know i realise that and when that time comes ( when im 25) it will be a hell of alot cheaper starting out, then if i was to start now and pay extremely high amounts of money for insurance. and right now $600 for top cover, for a 19yo is a hell of alot better then payin 2-3k. thats just the way i look at it.

Mate,
Making a claim in this type of situation aint pretty.
Firstly, in your old girls name.....she must make the claim on YOUR behalf, at this point you'll quickly find the claim will be investigated very thoroughly, At best they will charge you the extra premium and excess you should be paying in the first place, at worst they can deny the claim using the duty of disclosure clause that you or mother had not been truthful in the first place therfore voiding the insurance and instead of paying your claim they refund the premium to you voiding the policy.
Old 21-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #304
250 PURSUIT
CRAZY TYPHOON DRIVER

I spend $3,000.00 per year for all my cars and bikes i will not have anything with out it!
Old 11-09-2005, 05:35 PM   #305
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUIZIN EB
I do because i carnt aford it:(
If you cant afford insurance, you cant afford to own a car simple. Put it in the shed and wait till you can.

Old 11-09-2005, 05:42 PM   #306
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
If you cant afford insurance, you cant afford to own a car simple. Put it in the shed and wait till you can.
Depends on how many cars you own. If you can't afford to insure a stock vehicle there's something wrong. Modified vehicles are a different story due to incurance co's knocking people back. My dad got knocked back recently because he fitted an aftermarket cd/mp3 player/amplifier and speakers into a dead stock ED Falcon. My dads over 50 been rating one for 10 years minimum. Never had an accident ever. I got a laugh out of it. I get the same when trying to insure my XB. Another thing they do is give ridiculously low payout figures so you go somewhere else.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 11-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #307
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Depends on how many cars you own. If you can't afford to insure a stock vehicle there's something wrong. Modified vehicles are a different story due to incurance co's knocking people back. My dad got knocked back recently because he fitted an aftermarket cd/mp3 player/amplifier and speakers into a dead stock ED Falcon. My dads over 50 been rating one for 10 years minimum. Never had an accident ever. I got a laugh out of it. I get the same when trying to insure my XB. Another thing they do is give ridiculously low payout figures so you go somewhere else.
Your dead right about being knocked back. Some companies wont touch me (21, lowered with engine mods, been rating 1 for 2yrs as well) however i still fork out to a company that WILL insure me.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:11 PM   #308
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUIZIN EB
I do because i carnt aford it :(
I agree 100%

It is not a fairy tale but fact, I bet you have heard "What if you his a BMW?' but how about a new falcon there's 30g or anything within th3e last 5 years, you could be up for 50g... That's a little more than monthly payments to an insurance company of $100!!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 11-09-2005, 09:23 PM   #309
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm certainly glad I'm insured. Up until tonight I had a hard time justifying the cost of insurance and almost cancelled it on a number of occassions.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:29 PM   #310
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

Can I just add that I deal with the public on a daily basis working for a big Insurance company and I have observed the following -

Everyday I serve our insured members and help them organise, arrange and pay their policies. Sometimes they have to pay HUGE amounts in order to receive the type of cover that gives them peace of mind but 95% of the time they pay their bills quite happily. Sometimes they will have a bit of a whinge but as I said 95% of the time they will have a smile on their dial.

On the other hand I also serve non insured members of the general public who owe my insurance company money due to the fact that they were uninsured and hit one of our member’s vehicles. In all the time I have worked for the company and having dealt with hundreds of such cases – I have never known a third party that smiled or in fact looked the least bit happy to be forking over their money every week. I have seen payment plans were the debt was so excessive that they will literally be paying money to the insurance company for the rest of their lives. No wonder they can’t muster up a smile.

Just my observation…
Old 11-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #311
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

I've currently only got 3rd party through Just Car insurance, and I plan on upgrading to fully comprenhensive as soon as I get a job. $346 per year is much cheaper then whatever it could cost me if I do wind up in an accident.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #312
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

I just have the standard CTP, but am seriously looking to get something more substantial. Problem is, I don't know sh!t about what does what, and I have tried to find out to no success.

I got an online quote from AAMI, and they wanted $2000 per year to insure my $3000 dollar, bog standard ED FAirmont Ghia. What the Fuk? what is the point of that?

I understand that as a 17 year old P-Plater, I am in a high risk category, but my car isn't exactly 'fast' or 'powerful', how could I justify paying that much? (that was a question not a statement)

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #313
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
I got an online quote from AAMI, and they wanted $2000 per year to insure my $3000 dollar, bog standard ED FAirmont Ghia. What the Fuk? what is the point of that?

I understand that as a 17 year old P-Plater, I am in a high risk category, but my car isn't exactly 'fast' or 'powerful', how could I justify paying that much? (that was a question not a statement)
Yes but it is a typical car of typical age which will carry 5 people, be driven by someone of your age and experience an has more power than safety features. They run on averages of risk, you might not think that you are much risk, however look at your age group running around in similarly configured "large" capacity cars. Picture also what your age group (not you, never take insurance personally) is interested in car wise these days.... drifting, 1/4 miles and modifications.

Also as a final salute, I think you will find that parts are now no longer required by Ford Australia to be supplied - Insurance Repairers now need to rely on aftermarket/non-genuine parts or 2nd hand parts. This takes time to hunt down say a broke radiator support arm. Time costs $$$

So it isn't against you, it is against your entire age group, your entire suburb and your car selection.

Had you gone with a smaller (in every respect) hatchback like a Laser, your insurance could quite possibly be cheaper by a large degree.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:51 PM   #314
damo351

only just seen the thread.

the answer is no, comes under almost all of the no's.

cant afford it, NRMA wont insure me for a V8 coz I am 20, too many mods to insure via NRMA anyway. and others are too expensive for me.

Ohh that and car just ran out of rego, so no insurance needed ATM ;) LOL

Old 12-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #315
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Had you gone with a smaller (in every respect) hatchback like a Laser, your insurance could quite possibly be cheaper by a large degree.
This bits NQR. I have a 97 EL which is insurered for $10k @ $440-480pa full comp rating 1 (no claims). Yet my 02 Mazda 323 (Astina) 5dr Hatchback is insured for $17k @ $670pa.

Size of the car has nothing to do with it. Small cars are dearer to insure. I have found Why? If in an accident there isn't much left.

Same goes for when I had a 95 Hyundai S-Coupe it was loads dearer to insure than the 97 Falcon.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 12-09-2005, 01:35 PM   #316
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1989 TX5 Ghia insured for $4k @ $850/yr. In my mums name aswell.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:38 PM   #317
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
1989 TX5 Ghia insured for $4k @ $850/yr. In my mums name aswell.
Your mum is named TX5 Ghia?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:16 PM   #318
Penelope Pitstop

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

Quote:
I just have the standard CTP, but am seriously looking to get something more substantial. Problem is, I don't know sh!t about what does what, and I have tried to find out to no success.
CTP – Compulsory Third Party – death and bodily injury to a third party (ie if you kill or maim someone in the car you hit) This insurance is part of your rego and as the name suggests it is compulsory.

Third Party Property – Covers the vehicle you hit. Does not cover your vehicle. This is the most basic and cheapest form of cover and at the end of the day if you have an accident and you are at fault you pay your excess and the insurer pays for the repair to the car you hit. You pay to repair or replace your own vehicle at your own discretion.

Third Party Property, Fire and Theft – Covers the vehicle you hit. Covers your vehicle if it is stolen and not recovered and your vehicle if it catches on fire (not intentionally lit!). This level of cover is still pretty cheap but is normally a fair bit dearer than Third Party Property on its own.

Motor Comprehensive – Covers repairs to both vehicles in an accident situation and your vehicle if it is damaged. You pay the excess if you are at fault and the insurer picks up the tab to repairs to both vehicles. The most expensive cover but offers the most peace of mind.

Hope that sheds some light on it for you. Of course there is more to it but that is just a general breakdown in layman’s terms.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #319
Penelope Pitstop

Quote:
Bet your bottom dollar that was for Motor Comp. As long as you are prepared to repair or replace your own vehicle you probably wouldn’t need Motor Comp on a vehicle of that dollar value. You should probably consider Third Party much cheaper and will protect you in case you write off somebody’s GT - plus it can help you build up an insurance rating which will reduce the premium when you do want motor comp.

Not that I am offering advice.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #320
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Your mum is named TX5 Ghia?
No, I think his mum is named $850/yr.

As to the thread topic, Define WITHOUT. I am insured for full comp, but the insurance company doesn't know all my mods and accessories. So I run the risk of not being insured - hopefully, only for those mods/accessories. The important things like exhaust, suspension, mags, I have told them about. But not the DVD player, C2R grill etc.

So yes, I am insured, but they may refuse a claim, though I doubt it. (I used to work in insurance, so have a fair grasp of what is and is not acceptable grounds for denying a claim.)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 12-09-2005, 07:36 PM   #321
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Wow!

Thanks heaps Pirtek Girl! That helps a lot!

I think I know what I am after now. Will do more research first of course, but thanks for the heads up.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:06 PM   #322
Penelope Pitstop

Quote:
Wow!

Thanks heaps Pirtek Girl! That helps a lot!

I think I know what I am after now. Will do more research first of course, but thanks for the heads up.
Pleasure Glad I could help

It’s what I do for a living. Just get yourself some type of insurance - Hate to see you turn out to be one of the people with a life long debt because they didn't think it could happen to them.

Cheers, Tori
Old 12-09-2005, 09:53 PM   #323
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

Been lurkin around the posts for a while, thought i'd raise me head.
Guess i shouldn't be complainin' at $1300 motor comp for the new
RAPID BA Xr6 MK2?
or should i...lol??
25+ had 2 write off claims, out: "gee, thanks skip"

RAPID.
man 5 spd
250w premium sound
dark tint(sweet as!!)
17x8 5 spoke. Dunny's Sp sport 235x45 93w
black mesh grills
*Shoo-roo (hidden) didn't have one on previous car hence the new xr6.

To-Do List.

Pacies, high flow cat & sport exhaust.
C.A.I
Brembo brakes.
Diff gear change.
Edit.
Old 13-09-2005, 08:25 AM   #324
LTDHO
The one and only

Your 25 and have alredy written off two car?

Mate your are lucky to get insurance!!

Howevery premium drops so it'll be less next year.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 13-09-2005, 06:07 PM   #325
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

I didn't write them off, skippy did..lol. lucky both were drive aways, but classed as economic write-offs.
And i wasn't driving on either one. And atleast they didn't hop-away :
Roo's are pretty bad over this way, just a warning.
5 skips in 4 years all on the princess highway, and a pole(nvm)
Old 13-09-2005, 10:43 PM   #326
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirtekGirl76

Not that I am offering advice.

LOL @ PirtekGirl76.

This to most people is probably not gunna make sense.

The FSRA thing about being a factual insurer does not mean you cannot offer advice in your private life, just not to clients that call whilst you are at work.

I too have experience with the public and insurance needs.
I have done a quote for comprehensive on a 1981 323 mazda 4 door sedan for one young fella, 17 years old in a sydney suburb. The Car was valued at $1200. The Quote to insure this guy was about $5000.00. You may find that amusing but as LTDHO points out its all about statistics and risk of thise stats.
For younger people with cars valued under $5000 usually Thrird Party Fire and Theft is the most econimical way to go. To be perfectly honest its not hard to have more than $5000 in a claim anyway, so by the time you have paid your premium and your excess if you were unable to name the third party that was at fault your car may be written off anyway.

Look at it this way if you pay for comprehensive for a car under $5000 and you are a younger person.
You pay your premium probably about $1000-$2000 p.a
You have a claim your at fault for you pay the standard excess and your age excess.
Standard Excess between $300-$500
Age Excess for under 20's $300-$1500 depending upon state.
NSW is probaly the worst case secenario.
The repairs to your vehicle as per the smash repairer may be well for this example lets say you ran into the back of someone else.
New Bonnet, radiator, bumper, head lights paint Might be $6000.00
Clearly the car is uneconimical to repair.
From the $5000.00 the car is insured for, you are already behind what you paid in premium. Lets say $1000, They take from the value of the car your excess and age excess there is another $1700 (depending upon age and state) so your payout figure $3300. (less the $1000 you paid in the first place.
That is why I say its not econmical. to insure a car under $5000 if you are younger for more than third party fire and theft.
Old 13-09-2005, 10:55 PM   #327
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
That is why I say its not econmical. to insure a car under $5000 if you are younger for more than third party fire and theft.
while i do agree with your point, i went full comp early and put up with the huge $$ premum, so i could get rating 1 and $500 premium (NC V8) as quickly as possible..
i turn 25 at the end of the year, thus it should get even cheaper plus i wont have the under 25 excess to pay if i need to claim
Old 14-09-2005, 09:00 AM   #328
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
while i do agree with your point, i went full comp early and put up with the huge $$ premum, so i could get rating 1 and $500 premium (NC V8) as quickly as possible..
i turn 25 at the end of the year, thus it should get even cheaper plus i wont have the under 25 excess to pay if i need to claim
The majority of insurance companies will count Thrid Party insurance towards years of insurance for rating purposes. (check with your individual company)
Old 14-09-2005, 06:20 PM   #329
LUXO_8
windsor user

ah ok, didnt know that.
is that just a recent thing or what...
Old 14-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #330
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deankdx
just thought about a couple of people at work who dont have insurance and wondered how many others there are?
i mean at minimum third party only as in if you hit the proverbial mercedes etc. give a reason if you want or post a reason for someone you know, the two blokes at work are just too tight.
NOT THE third party INSURANCE INCLUDED IN REGO, THATS FOR PERSONAL INJURY only

Well, two things here are interesting, 6 months later and this thread is still strong LOL.

secondly, one of the blokes at work did have an accident, just brushed another workers 2 year old mitsibi Lancer gouged bumper and fairly long scratch down the back quarter panel, metalic silver paint also.
now i havent been to a panel shop in a very long time but i can guess this repair will cost well over a grand, and as the driver who crashed has an XF and is 40 years old, could have been insured for$200ish per year .
this accident happened slower than walking pace.
as the other driver was lucky to be fully insured he has just claimed on his own insurance and they let him chose his own repairer which guarantees the job for life, the crasher, Knows a panel beater and offered to get the car fixed here which would obviously benefit crasher, but just so happens this repairer has done work in the past for the lancer owner and was a crap job so no luck here either.
gunna be interesting when i hear the damage quote
Closed Thread