Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: do you have insurance
NO I cant afford it 82 7.63%
NO insurance wont touch me the driver 22 2.05%
NO insurance dont like my car too many mods etc 35 3.26%
NO i'd rather spend that money at the pub i'm too tight 37 3.44%
YES Id' never drive without some form of insurance 899 83.63%
Voters: 1075. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19-11-2005, 01:37 PM   #361
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So which insurance company's do you guys think are good? My current one has driven me nuts. I'm looking for a good cheapy. I'm thinking of doing it full comp under my dad's name, and then myself as a second driver.

Anyone be able to help?
Bill
Old 19-11-2005, 02:01 PM   #362
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Fairmont
So which insurance company's do you guys think are good? My current one has driven me nuts. I'm looking for a good cheapy. I'm thinking of doing it full comp under my dad's name, and then myself as a second driver.

Anyone be able to help?
Bill
I refer you back to my post #327 in this thread.
I am assuming you have an EBII Fairmont. According to the redbook maximum value of that car is around $5000.00 in excellent condition (not many actually are in excellent condition) Excellent condition would mean NO dings or paint fading or scratching with full log books and full and current service history.
I suggest you be best off with Just Third Party Property with a fire and Theft option.
Old 19-11-2005, 02:08 PM   #363
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:

Anyone be able to help?
Bill
im with NRMA.

when i had an ED i had it insured under my parents name with me as a nominated driver (p-plater, was 17 at the time). it was $900 and that was full comprehensive, for an agreed value of $6300. my ED was a great example.

then i crashed it. i had an excess of 1400 i beleive.

no on my AU2 my excess is 1700, but im insured comprehensively, same way as before, for 17 000 agreed value and im only paying 1400 a year.

comprehensive is the only way to go i beleive, because my crash was my fault, i was the only party involved, so i think its a must, particularly if you are a young driver and inexperienced.
Old 19-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #364
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
I refer you back to my post #327 in this thread.
I am assuming you have an EBII Fairmont. According to the redbook maximum value of that car is around $5000.00 in excellent condition (not many actually are in excellent condition) Excellent condition would mean NO dings or paint fading or scratching with full log books and full and current service history.
I suggest you be best off with Just Third Party Property with a fire and Theft option.
The reason why i want to do it full comp, is that i have been recently involved in a stack. Quite clearly not my fault, but insurance is still determined to make it that way. They are also asking for 800 excess. But i don't get it, because my dad was driving the car at the time, and he is not recognised as a driver. I'm getting very close in taking this to court. It has been over 2 months. I bought the car this time last year, and i had planned to blow a bit of money getting it completely clean. I want the car to sparkle as i believe this would be one of the best stock ones left. My current insurance has played me time and time again with this incident.

Bill
Old 19-11-2005, 10:26 PM   #365
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
The reason why i want to do it full comp, is that i have been recently involved in a stack. Quite clearly not my fault, but insurance is still determined to make it that way. They are also asking for 800 excess. But i don't get it, because my dad was driving the car at the time, and he is not recognised as a driver. I'm getting very close in taking this to court. It has been over 2 months. I bought the car this time last year, and i had planned to blow a bit of money getting it completely clean. I want the car to sparkle as i believe this would be one of the best stock ones left. My current insurance has played me time and time again with this incident.

Bill
Mate, not good to hear, but in reality you need to fully read your product disclosure statement. I am happy to advise you on your rights and appeals processes that you can go through. But I do know quite a few insurers state in thier product disclosure statement that if you have not listed a driver that lives at your address you have no cover, or alterntively have a huge excess for a non nominated driver.
However having said this there are always courses of action you can take.
1st point of call is speaking to a supervisor regarding your claim.
If after that you still do not accept the decsion you can then take the matter to the insurers internal dispute resolution service. (do not knock this step, its usually the best one and a fresh set of eyes get to veiw the claim with the power to potentially overturn the descion). If after that you still disagree there is the IEC. They are the insurance council, Its an independant ombudsman that although thier descion is not bindg to you, it is to the insurer. If after that step you still disagree you can then and only then take it through court. (however by that time you really need to accept the descion otherwise you are just wasting your money on court proceddings you will more than likely lose).
If the same situation happened with your current insurer on a comprehensive policy I would guess you would get the same outcome.

Even if your father was not at fault during an accident an "at fault excess " may still apply.
The term "at fault" is basically an insurance term, nothing more.
You see a claim is either an "at fault" claim or a "not at fault" claim,
There is no inbetween.
The definition of an "at fault" claim is this.
ANY claim where you are unable to identify without doubt the third party that is "at fault".
Hence a stolen car is an "at Fault" claim, Unless you happen to know the thief.
A claim where a kangaroo jumped in front of the car is an "at Fault" claim, the insurance company cannot recover money from skippy.

I hope this clears things up for you
Old 19-11-2005, 10:51 PM   #366
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It does clear it up quite clearly. What has happened in my case, is originally they were gonna fix the damage. They then change the decision when we called to have the car assessed. The police got involved and told them their judgement was wrong. They started to re-think and then passed it onto someone else. At the moment we put a claim against her. it has been two weeks and an outcome still hasn't been decided. I took the car so they could see it. they told my dad when he called that they never saw the car. So I went again, gave them photos of the damage and watched the guy write in that the car was inspected and photos were immediately sent off. Now if he changed the info or didn't send the photos.

From what I understand, is that my car has $1600 damage to it, and hers is only $700. What I believe is that they are doing is since the damage on her car is cheaper, they are bidding for her.

What happened, this old mole, pulled over to the left, she came pretty much to a complete stop. Well we dont know. As my dad told the people at insurance is that "i don't look to see what the guy on my left or right are doing espacially when they are behind me." She turned and caught my front left door, rear rim got bashed and destroyed the mud flap.

The problem is that her insurance company is owned by mine and they are pulling some dodgeys. I'll write once done, a full post of who the insurers are and what exactly did happen through the whole period.

Bill
Old 19-11-2005, 11:00 PM   #367
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also forgot, why haven't they told us to pay for the full damages. Since the car is in my name, and my dad was driving at the time, He shouldn't be covered at all. Is that correct?

Plus i threw the vicRoads book at their heads showing them the law is in my favour. They told me they don't cconsider their laws and don't agree. I told him i don't agree with the laws about doing burnouts, but do you see me ripping it up at every intersection?

THey couldn't answer. They have so far in over two months not given us any straight answers and it annoys me that i can't get a legit reason for their decisions. Bloody corporate world. Think us small people are dirt and can walk all over us. I'm not going to give up. They have already felt part of my sting, and i will be leaving a nice impression on their company.
Old 19-11-2005, 11:44 PM   #368
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

One insurance company being owned by another makes no difference, each company acts independantly. Not being recognised as a dirver may be due to the wording in YOUR proudct disclosure that is the policy you purcahsed and is a contract of insurance that not only you but they must abide by. If your father is not listed as a driver they may well be able to walk away from the claim. As I do not know the insurer of have a copy of your product disclouser stament I am guessing. The other thing to consider is the story she has also told to her insurer, the damages caused and the story your father has given, all need to add up to be a "complete picture".

I am just going on what you have said but consider this:
If this was a two lane street or road you are talking about that is one lane either way, You stated your father did not know if she had stopped or not.
So she moves over to the left in order to keep as close as practicable to the left...no indicators and then moves back to the right to avoid maybe a parked car, your father could be at fault for overtaking her unsafley.
Its a long shot but as I said it depends on what she has said to her company.

You do not know that nor would they release that info to you.
As for the police involvemnet. Most times insurers take very little notice of what the police state as 90% of the time they get liability issues wrong according to the traffic act that the insurer does and must use.
Old 20-11-2005, 02:29 PM   #369
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guarantee you that she has been writing in her statment total loads of bull. I gave the insurance company a statutory declaration which as we all now can not contain fraudulant details, as they will chop you in a million pieces. She commited an offence on the day. She didn't give us her details. No phone number or address. Now what got to me, is that she had written that it was the other way around. I know this because the insurance company also asked us both to write down our events of the story. According to her, my dad was also driving eratically which is obviosuly.

In 30 years of driving, my dad has been involved in about 15 accidents. If you don't want to believe me i don't care as i now the truth, that my dad has never in his whole life of driving ever struck another car. He has never been booked in his whole life. He has never tarnished his record and i believe my dad is correct just by seeing him drive all these years.

I'm going to give them a buzz tomorrow to see what they think. But when we went last, the supervisor wrote in that it is clear that she made contact with my car. Hence, I'm hoping that the decision will come my way. And as vicroads say it, "WHERE THERE ARE NO LANE MARKINGS, IF THERE ARE TWO OR MORE LINES OF TRAFFIC TRAVELLING IN THE SAME DIRECTION, YOU MAY CHANGE FROM ONE LANE TO ANOTHER IF YOU SIGNAL AND IT IS SAFE TO DO SO." That is a driect quote from vicroads book. I have been informed from lawyers who i have talked to and deal with car accidents solely, that we are in the right and the old fart is in the wrong.

I have now come to the theory of never trust old people. SO don't trust me when i am 60 years plus :.

Bill
Old 17-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #370
Abacus
Life's a Gas

I think I read somewhere the other day that approximately 10% of drivers are unlicenced, whether it be through cancellation, suspension, lapsed, or they never had one. From memory, that's the reason the NSW state government is introducing their roadside new number plate capture system.

So, as a rough starting point, at least 10% of drivers have no insurance whatsoever.
Old 17-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #371
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

ive been driving for 4 years without insurance of any kind.

Thats 4x2500 for a modified car... Thats $10000 credit i have accrued...

I just think its the drivers choice really... Im not stingy, i just dont see the point in paying insurance considering youve got excess fees, and you never get what you deserve from them...

Keep your car roadworthy, dont tailgate and dont fall asleep. simple
- XB Coupe Project
Old 17-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #372
red_hotxr6
Banned

Fully comprehensively insured.Even the windscreen and any other glass on car and a free drive car if it is off the road.Wouldnt be without it. : :
Old 17-01-2006, 09:17 PM   #373
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFDINTEDIT
ive been driving for 4 years without insurance of any kind.

Thats 4x2500 for a modified car... Thats $10000 credit i have accrued...

I just think its the drivers choice really... Im not stingy, i just dont see the point in paying insurance considering youve got excess fees, and you never get what you deserve from them...

Keep your car roadworthy, dont tailgate and dont fall asleep. simple
Ok i am sorry but that is just plain silly, for want of a better word. You can consider yourself lucky that nothing has happened.My husband,s nephew managed to do that for 15 months, yep accident, his fault and for the next three years it is $100.00 a week out of his pay.He use to do day shift at australia post now to make ends meet it is night shift/graveyard.
Old 17-01-2006, 09:25 PM   #374
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

well atm i dont have insurance !!! aswell purely because my car is modified bodywise more, and i had to pay access on each mod............... though Just Car seem to charge access on some of the modifications but works out heaps cheaper and for people loooking good insurance company with less hassle and better service
GIO is the one to go for plus you get rental car if your involved in an accident.
cheers
Old 17-01-2006, 10:06 PM   #375
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD-Machine
if you are smart you dont need to insure if you have a car valued 8or 10 g even. Think about it whats the chances you are going to crash (its pritty low for most drivers). Now if you take the money you would pay out to the insurance eg 5000 a yr, and invest that 5000 in stocks (got to no what you are doing you can easily make 20% a yr, and the younger the better) or in a savers bank like ING (this is a sure 5% interest, no brainer way of doing it). Now if you actully have a crash lets just say in your 3rd year, you could have 15000 + interest made to cover your damages. Lets say you get to 25 without a crash ( i am sure alot of ppl can say that) you could have 40g + interest earned which is enough to buy a new car, put a deposit on a house ect. The insurance companies make money for a reason, more ppl dont claim then claim. dont be a sucker.
Invest in the stockmarket? Is that what people with double figure IQ's call the pokies now?

Quote: