Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: do you have insurance
NO I cant afford it 82 7.63%
NO insurance wont touch me the driver 22 2.05%
NO insurance dont like my car too many mods etc 35 3.26%
NO i'd rather spend that money at the pub i'm too tight 37 3.44%
YES Id' never drive without some form of insurance 899 83.63%
Voters: 1075. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31-03-2005, 11:35 AM   #181
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
26 = No
181 = Yes

I can't believe the 26 that don't. You will be screwed reallybad one day. I know you've heard the line 'what if you hit a mercedes' but think it will never happen to you. I've seen it happen that often where people are in serious debt and their lives turn to SH1T because they couldn't afford TFT (third Party Fire Theft) insurance.

On my cheapest car I still had TFT, even if insurance is $300 and the car is worth $1500, it is better than owing $100,000!
Insurance also gives you $1,000,000 for liability. That's if you cause damage indirectly. If you are uninsured you don't have this either. Don't think of the car you hit, think of the damage it causes, especially to business. $1,000,000 is easy to add up too!
Very easily. Wet road, too much throttle and take out a powerpole. Theres a huge cost right there. Now add a transformer to that pole... mega bucks. Now add that pole falling on a house. Debt for life!

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 31-03-2005, 08:09 PM   #182
xr8gn3

Over 10% of forum members with no insurance.

Old 31-03-2005, 08:17 PM   #183
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8gn3
Over 10% of forum members with no insurance.
Hope none of those 10% are cruising up to Heathcote for the AFF Drag Day...getting rear ended by a member with no insurance would make an interesting thread !!

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
Old 31-03-2005, 08:38 PM   #184
Chucky
Soooo Cute!â„¢

Location: TenderCity™ The Land of Long Hours & Number Crunching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8888
Hope none of those 10% are cruising up to Heathcote for the AFF Drag Day...getting rear ended by a member with no insurance would make an interesting thread !!
Golden rule of all AFF cruises & events... If you have no insurance you are not allowed to attend. Period.
Old 31-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #185
xr8gn3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
Golden rule of all AFF cruises & events... If you have no insurance you are not allowed to attend. Period.
Are you serious Chucky...Im part of that 10 percent. Not that you have to worry for many reasons but for one I live in NSW.

Let me ask you question. What is your main motivation for getting insurance.

Is it to protect your car or to protect somebody elses car or for another reason.

Last edited by xr8gn3; 31-03-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 31-03-2005, 08:50 PM   #186
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'd have to really be driving like a dick to run into someone anyway. I learnt that around 12 years ago. One hard lesson and I've never had an accident since. Plenty have ran into my cars due to being dicks but I've never even came close.

Proper driving experience means less incidents ;)

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 31-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #187
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Very easily. Wet road, too much throttle and take out a powerpole. Theres a huge cost right there. Now add a transformer to that pole... mega bucks. Now add that pole falling on a house. Debt for life!
My freind Scott lost control of his car on a wet road. Then mounted the foot path and smashed into a transformer then hit a brick fence. The reason Scott had the prang was because some turd poured deisel on the road.also the speed limit was 80 and scott was doing 70. The reason I am writing this is so the uninsured can understand how easy it is to have an accident with out you being at fault and still being the one that has to pay for all the damage.. Lucky for Scott he was insured and all cost were covered. How much could that accident cost him if he did not have insurance. Well over $150 thousand...

He was also bloody lucy not to get killed by the transformer.

Matt

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 31-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #188
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've driven on a wet road covered in diesel. Even around round abouts. A local road (Thompsons Rd) here in Vic had a trucks fuel tanks rupture. It was good fun in a sense of doing 20kph speedo and 5kph road speed. ROFL. Once you were moving it was okay. The diesel didn't seem to hinder stopping. The diesel went for roughly 5-10k's till the truck ran 400lt of fuel out.

I'd still like to know how the tank ruptured.

Old 31-03-2005, 08:58 PM   #189
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Are you serious Chucky...Im part of that 10 percent. Not that you have to worry for many reasons but for one I live in NSW.

Let me ask you question. What is your main motivation for getting insurance.

Is it to protect your car or to protect somebody elses car or for another reason.
Can't speak for Chucky but my reason is so :

a/ I don't ruin a $45K+ car that I own
B/ I don't ruin a $200K Merc that I don't own
c/ The owner of the $200K Merc happens to be a Lawyer and sues my **** off and forces me to sell my house therefore completley ****ing up my life and my families because I couldn't be bothered paying $700 a year in insurance..

Thats my reason...but I understand other people have different views which has been well covered in this thread.

I'm lucky because insurance is cheap for me.

Cheers

Quote:
Old 31-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #190
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
You'd have to really be driving like a dick to run into someone anyway. I learnt that around 12 years ago. One hard lesson and I've never had an accident since. Plenty have ran into my cars due to being dicks but I've never even came close.

You'd have to thinking like a dick to take the risk and not give a stuff about paying for the damage you may cause.

Your too good a driver? Yeah they all think that till they see their bonnets crumple.

Dont meen to be rude but no 3PP is just irresponsible and UnAustralian!
Old 31-03-2005, 09:10 PM   #191
xr8gn3

Quote:

Your right on the money there brenx......This is why I asked the question.
If you know how to control your car and you know its limtations your less likely to have an accident by you own fault and more prepared to avoid one if the unpredicatble happens. This would no doubt account for many of the accidents we see on our roads today.

Of course there are the situations that Jabba pointed out that are nearly next to impossible to avoid but not improbable. Im always more conscious when driving in the wet and try to for see situations that can lead to unfortunate mishaps.

Old 31-03-2005, 09:28 PM   #192
xr8gn3

Quote:
Can't speak for Chucky but my reason is so :

a/ I don't ruin a $45K+ car that I own
B/ I don't ruin a $200K Merc that I don't own
c/ The owner of the $200K Merc happens to be a Lawyer and sues my **** off and forces me to sell my house therefore completley ****ing up my life and my families because I couldn't be bothered paying $700 a year in insurance..

Thats my reason...but I understand other people have different views which has been well covered in this thread.

I'm lucky because insurance is cheap for me.

Cheers
Good points.

Given your circumstances were different what would be your view then on full comprehensive insurance and third party?

For eg. Take away your 45k car, replace it with a 25k car and take away your house and family.

Old 31-03-2005, 09:31 PM   #193
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
For eg. Take away your 45k car, replace it with a 25k car and take away your house and family.
Yeah thats pretty much what'd happen with no insurance..
Old 31-03-2005, 09:33 PM   #194
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Good points.

Given your circumstances were different what would be your view then on full comprehensive insurance and third party?

How about I have a $16K car, dont own a house and still agree with the reasons.

Basically, what I do have I dont want to lose because I'm too tight to pay $1000 a year on the XR and $600 on the EF.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 31-03-2005, 09:38 PM   #195
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Good points.

$25K car would still go fully comp.....

When I was young, dumb and full of c*m I thought I was invincable on the road and thought i would never have an accident....which I didn't.

Problem was my VH Commy ,which back 17 years ago was a pretty good car, simmons mags, pacemaker exhaust , and a nice 5L V8 was stolen by some scum bag and stupid me didn't have any insurance...think I paid about $12K for the car and it cost me about $4K to get it back on the road.

I learnt 3 valuable lessons from that:

a/ clublocks don't work
b/ never park your car in North Adelaide on a Saturday night
c/ insuarnce was a must...even it was Fire,Third Party & Theft.

So I suppose my thoughts re insurance have come about by me learning the hardway.

Cheers

Brad

Quote:
Old 31-03-2005, 09:44 PM   #196
xr8gn3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Yeah thats pretty much what'd happen with no insurance..
You could look at from the other side and thats how much you wouldve payed and never seen a cent back if you had no accident....the money that is.

Old 31-03-2005, 09:54 PM   #197
xr8gn3

Quote:

I learnt 3 valuable lessons from that:

a/ clublocks don't work
b/ never park your car in North Adelaide on a Saturday night
c/ insuarnce was a must...even it was Fire,Third Party & Theft.

So I suppose my thoughts re insurance have come about by me learning the hardway.

Cheers

Brad
I bet you wish you had an immobiliser back then.

Old 31-03-2005, 09:56 PM   #198
LUXO_8
windsor user

hell i have a 6k car and have insurance, i really couldnt give a stuff about the value of my own car (though i pay for full comp so it will be replaced if it is written off) but again the situation of the 200k merc, or the house or whatever.....

if i were faced with the situation of hitting a kid on a bike or something, i'd much rather drill the merc or house than kill a person.......

i know it makes me stress less, knowing the insurance is there to fall back on, even if i have to pay extra (excess - loose a rating etc) in the long run...

Last edited by LUXO_8; 01-04-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 31-03-2005, 10:00 PM   #199
Dez
Banned

Quote:

you do not have to be driving like a dick. anything can happen.

for example, last years heatchote cruise. we were all crusing, doing about 100-105km/h, and someone almost missed the exit.

now, i wasnt driving like a dick, the BA XR in front of me wasn't driving like a dick, and the AU XR behind me wasn't driving like a dick, but we almost all had rear enders that day. anything can happen. pay the third party.
Old 31-03-2005, 10:08 PM   #200
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
I bet you wish you had an immobiliser back then.

Funny thing was I was at a Wedding and was REAL paranoid about the car being stolen. At the wedding reception I could see the car from my seat and was watching it like a hawk for the 1st few hours.

After a few beers I "kinda" lost track of things and when we went to leave I through the keys to my girlfriend (now wife) as I was a blubbering mess....all we found was broken glass.

Went back to the Hotel to report the car stolen...by this stage I had gone from being ****ed/happy to ****ed/upset. Some guy saw that I was a bit agitated, walked up to me and said "...had a good night..". Next thing I know we are standing toe to toe...Hotel Manager tried to seperate us...I took one last swing for good measure...missed him and hit my girlfriend out: and broke her pearl earing....

Hotel Manager takes me inside and tells me that the guy wants to put me on an assault charge and was about to call the police. Then he comes back 10 minutes later and tells me that he isn't going to press charges but I might want to leave the back way because he had 10 matyes outside waiting to "greet" me.

Woke up the next morning with a jackhammer going in my head, sore jaw and a stolen car.

All in all a pretty good night :sm_headba

Brad

Quote:

Last edited by GT 8888; 31-03-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 31-03-2005, 10:17 PM   #201
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know this is a bit off track but today i was at the dealer and they had a XR8 MKII sedan (brand spanker) that got broken into in the yard, they took both front seats and back seats all through the passenger rear window as if you open the door the alarm would of gone off.
Old 31-03-2005, 10:19 PM   #202
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
You could look at from the other side and thats how much you wouldve payed and never seen a cent back if you had no accident....the money that is.
Yeah I'm pretty much in that situation and even at fossil age its a lot of money. But then I've never been a gambler, cos I've never seen a wealthy gambler. Inlike wealthy who can afford to gamble.

Driving uninsured is a gamble you may be paying off for a very long time. Believing you can drive so well you'll never make a costly mistake is just ignorant.
Old 31-03-2005, 10:27 PM   #203
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8

Driving uninsured is a gamble you may be paying off for a very long time. Believing you can drive so well you'll never make a costly mistake is just ignorant.
Totally bloody stupid and no regard for other people.
Old 31-03-2005, 10:28 PM   #204
xr8gn3

Quote:
Funny thing was I was at a Wedding and was REAL paranoid about the car being stolen. At the wedding reception I could see the car from my seat and was watching it like a hawk for the 1st few hours.

After a few beers I "kinda" lost track of things and when we went to leave I through the keys to my girlfriend (now wife) as I was a blubbering mess....all we found was broken glass.

Went back to the Hotel to report the car stolen...by this stage I had gone from being ****ed/happy to ****ed/upset. Some guy saw that I was a bit agitated, walked up to me and said "...had a good night..". Next thing I know we are standing toe to toe...Hotel Manager tried to seperate us...I took one last swing for good measure...missed him and hit my girlfriend out: and broke her pearl earing....

Hotel Manager takes me inside and tells me that the guy wants to put me on an assault charge and was about to call the police. Then he comes back 10 minutes later and tells me that he isn't going to press charges but I might want to leave the back way because he had 10 matyes outside waiting to "greet" me.

Woke up the next morning with a jackhammer going in my head, sore jaw and a stolen car.

Brad
What a f@#$wit. I wouldve done the same thing though..

Old 31-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #205
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BANG
Quote:

theres no doubt that experience prevents accidents IMO, however i know that in all city type driving situations people sit too closely to the car in front, if you cant react and stop in the distance in front of you if the car in front decides i need to stop NOW so i can turn here.
this is what happened to me, i did driver training at DECA and was pretty well a responible driver(albeit a bit of a hoon, never one to weave in and out of traffic though) i was travelling a safe distance to stop if this did occur but i was doing a head check(looking over my shoulder) when the clown in front decided to stop now hence no reaction time= BANG i cant see how this could be avoided(expect the unexpected?)
i wasn't being a dick, when i'm being a dick there is no cars around or a very low speed, (theres always gutters and powerpoles. )anyway insurance is just that, takes the gamble away, would you bet your house you will never hit an expensive car, i wouldnt be risking my house anyway.
Old 31-03-2005, 10:57 PM   #206
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It'd be a safe bet saying someone would run into me than them being hit by me. Thats how the last three incidents happened. If your head checks are that long to put you at risk? Your looking too long or use your mirrors. You head shouldn't have to turn with the mirror use.

1) Truck takes off the drivers side of one of my cars
2) Rental car can't stop and rearends my car which is sitting at a red light.
3) Vehicle T-bones my car due to not them not giving way at a T intersection when I had right of way.

My accident 12 years ago happened solely due to me following too closely.

Dez -: Nearly isn't an accident but if it did get too close? You weren't far enough away. Also in that case the driver in front can be found at fault. I can't remember what the exact laws are but there is about 3 broken laws about suddenly braking if not in an emergency. Emergency as defined by law.

[edit] My wifes a different story though. See spun out our EL recently twice on a wet road on the way to work. She is a lead foot. Our trip meter tells the same story too.

Last edited by brenx; 31-03-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old 31-03-2005, 10:57 PM   #207
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:

Brad
I really shouldn't laugh but thats a craker Brad, Shame to have a car stolen but eh it was only a crappadore. Bet the missus is making you pay for that mis guided swing now aye.
Old 31-03-2005, 11:20 PM   #208
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
I really shouldn't laugh but thats a craker Brad, Shame to have a car stolen but eh it was only a crappadore. Bet the missus is making you pay for that mis guided swing now aye.
Made me pay alright Leigh...asked her to marry me and she said yes !!! 12 years of PAIN....only kidding, shes good value but she still struggles to come to grips with my obsession with my cars !!!

Quote:
Old 31-03-2005, 11:29 PM   #209
Dez
Banned

Quote:
It'd be a safe bet saying someone would run into me than them being hit by me. Thats how the last three incidents happened. If your head checks are that long to put you at risk? Your looking too long or use your mirrors. You head shouldn't have to turn with the mirror use.

1) Truck takes off the drivers side of one of my cars
2) Rental car can't stop and rearends my car which is sitting at a red light.
3) Vehicle T-bones my car due to not them not giving way at a T intersection when I had right of way.

My accident 12 years ago happened solely due to me following too closely.

Dez -: Nearly isn't an accident but if it did get too close? You weren't far enough away. Also in that case the driver in front can be found at fault. I can't remember what the exact laws are but there is about 3 broken laws about suddenly braking if not in an emergency. Emergency as defined by law.

[edit] My wifes a different story though. See spun out our EL recently twice on a wet road on the way to work. She is a lead foot. Our trip meter tells the same story too.
with the head check thing, a head check takes at least 1 second, just the moving ur head to do it takes time...and if a car happens to stop instantly at the precise moment u look away, then yes, you are very likely to hit it, and your headcheck didnt take to long.

as for the cruise incident, we werent travelling to close at all, but when 1 car is leading 10+ others, and suddenly has to go from 100 to 0 as quick as possible, and this effect has to filter down the line to all the other cars, then there is (and was) a fair chance that someone is gonna cop it....fortunately we all stopped in time. (just in my case, and im sure a few others)
Old 31-03-2005, 11:41 PM   #210
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Made me pay alright Leigh...asked her to marry me and she said yes !!! 12 years of PAIN....only kidding, shes good value but she still struggles to come to grips with my obsession with my cars !!!
Hahaha, as long as the leash is long enough so you can play with your toys it's all good.
Closed Thread