Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: do you have insurance
NO I cant afford it 82 7.63%
NO insurance wont touch me the driver 22 2.05%
NO insurance dont like my car too many mods etc 35 3.26%
NO i'd rather spend that money at the pub i'm too tight 37 3.44%
YES Id' never drive without some form of insurance 899 83.63%
Voters: 1075. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 07:39 AM   #211
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
with the head check thing, a head check takes at least 1 second, just the moving ur head to do it takes time...and if a car happens to stop instantly at the precise moment u look away, then yes, you are very likely to hit it, and your headcheck didnt take to long.
That actually has happened to me. My one and only at fault accident while following a Camry. Head checked to change lanes, car infront broke and car infront had no brake lights. Looked forward and head checked again just as some ******** decided to race up the inside lane and cut into the position I was trying to get into. Looked forward again and it took just enough time to realise the car infront was braking hard with no brake lights.

BANG..

No-one cared about the fact that the car infront had no working brake lights, saying that the hit is probably what caused them now not to work... even though I hit in on the passenger rear quarter. Ontop of having the car stolen twice in 6 months, Rating 1 to 0 NCB in 1 year.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:29 AM   #212
LTDHO
The one and only

Can thoe who are uninsured answer these questions?

What happens if your car is stolen?
What Happens if your car is maliciously damaged?
What happens if parts are stolen off your car?
What happens if if someone sideswips your car and does a runner?

It amazes me that anyone would rick not being insured. But luck if you join a Ford cruise and accidently run into the rear of a GT-P!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 01-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #213
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Can thoe who are uninsured answer these questions?

What happens if your car is stolen?
What Happens if your car is maliciously damaged?
What happens if parts are stolen off your car?
What happens if if someone sideswips your car and does a runner?

It amazes me that anyone would rick not being insured. But luck if you join a Ford cruise and accidently run into the rear of a GT-P!
well i'm insured, and only the first 1 applies to me...third party :( so hopefully any at fault accident i have doesnt leave my car too bad off.

RodP, thats bullshit. i always wodnered what would be the case if you rear ended someone, but they had no brake lights, and always thought i'd get "the crash probably broke them"....i feel sorry for ya mate, its bullshit because that car would be declared unroadworthy, so its insurance should be void.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #214
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
That actually has happened to me. My one and only at fault accident while following a Camry. Head checked to change lanes, car infront broke and car infront had no brake lights. Looked forward and head checked again just as some ******** decided to race up the inside lane and cut into the position I was trying to get into. Looked forward again and it took just enough time to realise the car infront was braking hard with no brake lights.

BANG..

No-one cared about the fact that the car infront had no working brake lights, saying that the hit is probably what caused them now not to work... even though I hit in on the passenger rear quarter. Ontop of having the car stolen twice in 6 months, Rating 1 to 0 NCB in 1 year.
I have Always wondered about this.. Apparantly forensic can tell if the filiment was glowing when the bulb was broken during the accident

It is handy to know if you do a rearender to someone with out tail lights. Might help with your insurance to. I hope I never need to use this information!

Matt

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 01-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #215
LUXO_8
windsor user

its not hard, it will look all milky inside if the glass bulb was cracked and the globe was on, and if the glass hasnt cracked, the inside will be all black and there will be pieces of the filament stuck inside the bulb.........
Old 02-04-2005, 12:14 AM   #216
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8gn3
Good points.

Given your circumstances were different what would be your view then on full comprehensive insurance and third party?

For eg. Take away your 45k car, replace it with a 25k car and take away your house and family.

When I was 18 I owned a $6000 XF ute and alway had full comp and when I was dead broke and on the bones of my **** I still found enough money to get 3rd party property insurance untill I could aford full comp.

In 2001 I was fight a legal battle and was bleeding from the pockets. We were a single income family with a new born baby and renting. I had to sell my toys and down grade the family car so we could afford to pay for the legals. I bought a $2000 Hyundai Exel. And I still got 3pp insurance on that heap of shit.. In fact if i were to drive any type of motor vehicle whether it's $1 moped or a $1million super car, I will insure it before I drive it. and if anyone had half a brain they would do the same....

Matt

Oh yeh, and all the bad stuff people say about Hyundai's... IT'S TRUE

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid

Last edited by jabba; 02-04-2005 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:06 PM   #217
Chucky
Soooo Cute!â„¢

Location: TenderCity™ The Land of Long Hours & Number Crunching!

Quote:
Are you serious Chucky...Im part of that 10 percent. Not that you have to worry for many reasons but for one I live in NSW.
Yes.. very serious. Last thing we want or need on any of our events is accidents & insurance hassles. I've seen it happen before & I for one am not prepared to go that that situation again.

Quote:
Let me ask you question. What is your main motivation for getting insurance.

Is it to protect your car or to protect somebody elses car or for another reason.
Both.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:15 PM   #218
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
well i'm insured, and only the first 1 applies to me...third party :( so hopefully any at fault accident i have doesnt leave my car too bad off.

RodP, thats bullshit. i always wodnered what would be the case if you rear ended someone, but they had no brake lights, and always thought i'd get "the crash probably broke them"....i feel sorry for ya mate, its bullshit because that car would be declared unroadworthy, so its insurance should be void.

Hate to tell ya,
Even if the person you rear end does have faulty tail lights/brake lights makes NO difference. You should be driving far enough behind that you can stop regadless, you are still the one in the wrong. And if you really want to get technical, lets say the car in front that you rear end is unregistered, guess what, your still at fault. Even though the car should not have been there because it was unregistered, your at fault, the driver of the other car would be charged accordinly but you still owe for his repairs as YOU should have been far enough behind that you could stop in an emergency.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:37 PM   #219
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Hate to tell ya,
Even if the person you rear end does have faulty tail lights/brake lights makes NO difference. You should be driving far enough behind that you can stop regadless, you are still the one in the wrong. And if you really want to get technical, lets say the car in front that you rear end is unregistered, guess what, your still at fault. Even though the car should not have been there because it was unregistered, your at fault, the driver of the other car would be charged accordinly but you still owe for his repairs as YOU should have been far enough behind that you could stop in an emergency.
Yes 100% on the money, both drivers would be charged if the vehicle that was struck was unroadworthy. However all chargers relating to the rear ender would be against the vehicle which caused the impact. And although charged for driving an unregistered vehicle the owner of the unregistered vehicle is entitled to claim agianst the offending driver or his insurance for damages done by others. As he should be.

The owner of the struck vehicle (if registered) would be covered by his own insurance unless he knowing drove his vehicle in an unregistered or unroadworthy state! He would (if registered) still be covered even though both brake lights had failed unless he knowingly ignored a defect notice, vehicle inspection or similar.

Last edited by RED_EL_XR8; 02-04-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #220
xrgran

We have always had insurance on our vehicles.. It's only common sense. And our children have been brought up with the same value's. It's respect for the things in life that you work for...respect for other peoples property, and a respect for human life.

It's no different to having a house and contents. You need to have insurance.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:36 AM   #221
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8888
I paid about $12K for the car....

c/ insuarnce was a must...even it was Fire,Third Party & Theft.
Third party wouldn't have paid out enough to replace the car though.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:46 AM   #222
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
Third party wouldn't have paid out enough to replace the car though.
yeah but it would have paid $5k more than $0 if it wasn't insured at all.

(market value up to $5,000 is what im referring to)
Old 04-04-2005, 04:14 AM   #223
XC_302

I Don't understand how people can say they can't afford insurance. I'm only 17, soo to be 18, and i drive an XC fairmont with a 302. Alot of insurance companies knocked me back coz of the V8 factor and alot coz i have 8" wheels on it. But eventually i got it with (i think, dad hooked me up with it, I'll correct it if i'm wrong) QBE and only paid $180 for 3rd party with a $400 excess. That's alot cheaper than my next door neighbour's Merc S-Class he leaves parked on the street for me to back into

Old 04-04-2005, 06:17 AM   #224
LSD

When I had my old POS Corona it wasn't worth taking out comprehensive insurance as the car wasn't worth squat. We still had 3rd party though so in the event of an accident the other driver/car would be covered. When I bought the 'mont though comprehensive was a must.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #225
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_302
I Don't understand how people can say they can't afford insurance. I'm only 17, soo to be 18, and i drive an XC fairmont with a 302. Alot of insurance companies knocked me back coz of the V8 factor and alot coz i have 8" wheels on it. But eventually i got it with (i think, dad hooked me up with it, I'll correct it if i'm wrong) QBE and only paid $180 for 3rd party with a $400 excess. That's alot cheaper than my next door neighbour's Merc S-Class he leaves parked on the street for me to back into
would your insurance be cheaper living in ballarat ? my first year third party fire and theft was at least $450, and is only down to $400 second year on the tx5, stock!

if i list mods, which i will be doing rather soon, i'll be forced to go with just cars, and will be looking at $6-700
Old 05-04-2005, 01:36 PM   #226
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
would your insurance be cheaper living in ballarat ? my first year third party fire and theft was at least $450, and is only down to $400 second year on the tx5, stock!

if i list mods, which i will be doing rather soon, i'll be forced to go with just cars, and will be looking at $6-700
Mate insurance up here in Ballarat is a lot cheaper. For example In Ballarat for my EL i'm paying $700 a year with the RACV and the know about ALL the mods. In Melbourne, western subs, when I was living there it cost me about the $1400 - $1500 dollar mark from memory. So it is a lot better for us living up here.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 05-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #227
EA2BA
PM me if you want

You forgot the option: - yes normally, but on occasion have driven without due to various reasons

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
Old 05-04-2005, 04:13 PM   #228
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
You forgot the option: - yes normally, but on occasion have driven without due to various reasons
yeah thought of a few others like if you had a crash would you be covered(considering mods etc) but too late now.
wait for my next poll, when i reckon this ones run its course.... over 3000 veiws wow.
next one will be rego related or lisense? havent decided but it will be just as good i hope.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:00 PM   #229
billyb35

I have insurance if I have an accident and it's my fault, the other car gets fixed. TP Property?

My car is not insured for fire or theft because it's too expensive.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #230
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I have insurance if I have an accident and it's my fault, the other car gets fixed. TP Property?
Yep, that would be Third Party Property Damage.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #231
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

I had to use my insurance twice(only one at fault though)

I wouldn't drive if I didn't have it. Also insurance is a no-brainer for cars on finance.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:46 PM   #232
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

according to this poll, 3 out of every 20 on ff who admitted their insurance stats are uninsured, hope fully this thread has at least opened their eyes a little.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #233
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Why?

If someone doesn't wish to have insurance that's there choice.

If you are that concerned, then the responsibility is on yourself to insure your own goods.

I have a very good friend in QLD who insures nothing. I've also had many discussions with him about running into expensive vehicles, etc. His answer is simple and always the same, if it's his fault he'll pay, however he'll be damned if he'll pay for insurance which he may never use.

Rick.
That is what they all say, until it comes to pay.

Only fools, tools & idiots drive with no insurance.

Not all people can afford to have full insurance, so TPP is the best way to cover everyone involved.
Example; first time driver purchases pride & joy, but can only get TPP insurance. FTD gets hit from behind by DH driver with no insurance, FTD has to chase DH driver for repair costs, but other driver refuses to pay. Off to court they go & judge rules that DH has to pay $x dollars every week, FTD gets one payment & has to chase again. FTD's car is off road all this time, his job & private life is suffering, all because DH.

Everyone say's that they'll pay, but there is always an excuse.

By the way, can you sell me a ME amp, I'll pay you tomorrow if they're good, I promise :

Last edited by johnydep; 09-06-2005 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Only fools, tools & idiots drive with no insurance
Old 09-06-2005, 06:36 PM   #234
Spaniard

Seriously, no one should be allowed on the road without some sort of insurance (other than the insurance that comes with rego).

I wouldn't think about driving without insurance.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:23 PM   #235
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard
Seriously, no one should be allowed on the road without some sort of insurance (other than the insurance that comes with rego).

I wouldn't think about driving without insurance.
Oh so true, i found out the hard way.

A few weeks back i got hit from behind by my mate who also got hit up the **** by an uninsured driver. He'd only bought the car 2 days before and took it out without insurance. $235o damage to my car and $69oo damage to my mates car and the other ****er well who cares but i'd have a guess at another $5,ooo.

I thought i'd do the right thing and let him pay up as he said he could cover the damage, i know i didn't want to involve the insurance company when i hit another car. I had the cash to cover damages and all was over within the week.

He told me he'd pay for mine first as he had the cash, now he's saying he's going to fix the other car and save up to pay for mine. Went out to WSIDW last night with the same mate and he said this tool is saying he's got no money................

Fun & games are about to begin, baseball anyone.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:30 PM   #236
XRQTOR
Banned

Oops i quoted the wrong post, # 238.

If i couldn't afford to insure my car or i wasn't stupid enough to pay as much as i do i wouldn't drive it, it's simple.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:14 PM   #237
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Well if he isn't going to pay up then you should go through your own insurance company and then they will chase him up.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
Old 09-06-2005, 10:49 PM   #238
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
Well if he isn't going to pay up then you should go through your own insurance company and then they will chase him up.
Cheers John
Not worth the trouble, my excess is $2,2oo. If they never get the money out of him im still out that money and im not sure how it will affect my preium next year, i pay to much as it is now.

Im going to go around to his house on the weekend with the other bloke who was hit, he should have a letter of demand from the local smash repair im getting them to do for me and see what his response is. Failing that it'll be time to teach him a lesson.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:11 PM   #239
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Not worth the trouble, my excess is $2,2oo. If they never get the money out of him im still out that money and im not sure how it will affect my preium next year, i pay to much as it is now.

Im going to go around to his house on the weekend with the other bloke who was hit, he should have a letter of demand from the local smash repair im getting them to do for me and see what his response is. Failing that it'll be time to teach him a lesson.
If you're not at fault, why are you worried about the excess?

I'm with NRMA and if someone runs up the back of my ****, (disregarding the fact I have lifetime 1 cover) I wouldn't have to pay a cent and my NCB would not be affected.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:41 PM   #240
LTDHO
The one and only

This is true, whether they get the money is irrelivant. If the other car is at fault and you gave your company the details they excess should apply. If it does, change insurer.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Closed Thread