Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-08-2018, 12:47 PM   #61
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Default Re: Does Anyone Here Fly Drones??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Did you notice the person running for cover at 0:52, about to get cleaned up by the drone??

Still an awesome video though...
I have a big iMac so blew that up to huge...

It looks like someone putting a drone on the ground...you can see it left behind when they stand up.

...although happy to admit maybe that's what I want it to be (could also be a very small obedient dog)
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #62
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Can see them getting banned in Venezuela lol....

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45077057

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=d...hrome&ie=UTF-8

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #63
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
It looks like someone putting a drone on the ground...you can see it left behind when they stand up.
Watched it again and you might be right, at first it looks like someone scrambling for safety, but it looks like they placed something on the ground.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #64
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Received and installed the M9 and M9R gimbals today.

I didn't actually think they'd make much difference but they do...and I haven't worked out why yet.

I've been whizzing around the various tracks on FPVFreerider and found even on the easiest track it was hard to be stable enough close to the ground to make it through the gates...and the gates are huge.

Using the easy 'The Meadow' track I was lucky to make it around once, even on lower rates and auto-levelling.

I just made it round five and a half times until I hit a gate

Old 08-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #65
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:

I didn't actually think they'd make much difference but they do...and I haven't worked out why yet.

I've been whizzing around the various tracks on FPVFreerider and found even on the easiest track it was hard to be stable enough close to the ground to make it through the gates...and the gates are huge.

Using the easy 'The Meadow' track I was lucky to make it around once, even on lower rates and auto-levelling.

I'm a bit confused about gymbal's now. I Googled the word, and it comes up as:

Quote:
a device for keeping an instrument such as a compass or chronometer horizontal in a moving vessel or aircraft, typically consisting of rings pivoted at right angles.
I Googled the M9 and M9R Gymbal, and it appears to be joystick controls for the transmitter.

So, is that stability control, to remove human error at the input?

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-08-2018, 11:23 PM   #66
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post

I Googled the M9 and M9R Gymbal, and it appears to be joystick controls for the transmitter.

No stability control mate, that is in the software of the simulator (and in the Flight Controller settings in the case of a real drone)...

In the 'olden days' the gimbals/gymbals would have two potentiometers connected via a linkage to each control stick to give a X and Y axis and they would have been purely mechanical devices prone to wearing out as the tracks inside the pots wore away over time due to the constant movement of the wiper arm.

The original gimbal (I'll use the spelling the manufacturer uses) may have been a resistance device, I can't actually tell without pulling the thing apart...and I don't want to as they're now 'spares'

They're mostly plastic and quite complicated and give 30 degrees of movement in each direction from centre (so 60 degrees in total). They're spring-loaded to return to centre but in the case of the throttle (on the left on my transmitter as I fly Mode 2) the spring is disabled/removed and the 'zero' position in now bottom middle. You can also engage a micro-ratchet on the throttle for 'feel'.

The ones I have just put in are Hall Effect sensor devices so not mechanical...to a degree. The pivots have ball-bearing races instead of a greased metal sleeve, plus they're made of aluminium and not plastic so 'feel' better. The throttle (on the M9R) is now 45 degree throw instead of 60 degrees. This gives better throttle response, as you go from nothing to full power in less movement...this may be what is making it 'easier' for me to fly.

FWIW Mode 2 is meant to be easier for helicopters, apparently it's not that common in Australia.

Mode 2:
Left Stick is:
Throttle (which controls up/down in a drone)
Yaw (horizontal spin around a vertical axis)

Right stick is:
Pitch (tilt forward and back)
Roll (tilt side to side)

...slightly different to a fixed wing aircraft:

Throttle is still throttle but controls forward movement.
Yaw would be rudder
Pitch would be elevator
Roll would be ailerons

That still makes sense in my head so would probably leave it

The gimbals in my Taranis Transmitter can be either so the radio is interchangeable Mode 1/Mode 2.

Last edited by Ratmick; 08-08-2018 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Added Stuff
Old 09-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #67
creative
I am Batman

Quote:

Pincher or thumber?

The M9r has a shorter throw which means you have less movement for the same amount of resolution. It allows you to reach full deflection with minimal finger movement. The gimbals themselves are alot smoother which also helps with accuracy.

Up until Frsky came out with the M9 hall effect gimbals the go to set were the Aurora gimbals. Still very mechanical but the components were better made which translated to a better quality gimbal and feel. The issue with the Aurora's was availability. You could only get them maybe once or twice a year. I have a Taranis here with them in but never used them as the M9's came out before I received them ( took 8 months to get mine!)

one day I may use that radio and fly them but I just prefer the M9r and M9's!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere

Last edited by creative; 09-08-2018 at 04:28 PM.
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #68
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Pincher or thumber?

The M9r has a shorter throw which means you have less movement for the same amount of resolution. It allows you to reach full deflection with minimal finger movement. The gimbals themselves are alot smoother which also helps with accuracy.
Thumber I think you'd call me...the ends of the sticks are sharp.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #69
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Thumber I think you'd call me...the ends of the sticks are sharp.
yep. Alot of people put umbrella stick ends on. Im Hybrid, so I have my thumb on top but still part pinch and have really short stick length. Thats why the M9r was such a massive improvement for me as I struggled to reach full deflection before I got that.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #70
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post

I think yanks call gimbals what the rest of the world calls a gyro(scope)

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #71
creative
I am Batman

My new frame is on its way so started to prep the flight controller and the escs.

I like to build from the center out so all these wires will be cut to size once I mount them.

3 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #72
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would this sort of stuff be any good if someone wanted to start flying the faster models?? ie not off the shelf DJI stuff.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Eachine-...53.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FLY-EGG-...53.m1438.l2649

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 13-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #73
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Would this sort of stuff be any good if someone wanted to start flying the faster models?? ie not off the shelf DJI stuff.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Eachine-...53.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FLY-EGG-...53.m1438.l2649
First one no, terrible quad and fragile. Second is ok but doesnt really list the specs so I assume old tech, especially as its running PPM.

If you really want to give this a go I would recommend getting a decent FRsky transmitter like the the QX7 , an r-xsr receiver and something like this

If you want I would be happy to build something for you but I would recommend getting semi decent components and gear so that if the hobby isnt for you, then you will make most of your money back on resale.

You will also need goggles to fly fpv.

Last edited by creative; 13-08-2018 at 07:37 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #74
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In terms of racing drones what is the way to go, I like flying the buggers (drone/quad copters), I have gone through three so far, now thinking about getting a small racing drone. like a 4" one or similar, buying a controller and some FPV goggles.

I want a controller that will last me, money is not a consideration, but VALUE FOR MONEY is. I am thinking about buying a decent value for money controller that I will be able to use with future drones.

Then I am looking for a good 4" or mini quad to get started, but do not really want too build one, I have more than enough projects to take up my spare time.

On another note I am going to Kew on the mid north coast tomorrow, so I am thinking of doing another drone video with the little DJI Spark, keep an eye out on this space....

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 15-08-2018, 09:28 PM   #75
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
In terms of racing drones what is the way to go, I like flying the buggers (drone/quad copters), I have gone through three so far, now thinking about getting a small racing drone. like a 4" one or similar, buying a controller and some FPV goggles.

I want a controller that will last me, money is not a consideration, but VALUE FOR MONEY is. I am thinking about buying a decent value for money controller that I will be able to use with future drones.

Then I am looking for a good 4" or mini quad to get started, but do not really want too build one, I have more than enough projects to take up my spare time.

On another note I am going to Kew on the mid north coast tomorrow, so I am thinking of doing another drone video with the little DJI Spark, keep an eye out on this space....
Is that Far Kew...
Old 15-08-2018, 10:58 PM   #76
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Is that Far Kew...
Not far for me

Funny thing is I still have one of the old FarKew jumpers that I bought when the Pacific Highway used to go through Kew, and when the Kew servo was a must stop for a pie and coke, I remember riding my Harley from Sydney to the Gold Coast and buying the Jumper as I was cold........it's changed a lot these days....might upload a new video tomorrow if I get the time....

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 16-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #77
creative
I am Batman

Quote:

In that case get yourself either a taranis x9d+ or a QX7. Can be used with any model you decide to go with in the future. Second would be a decent set of goggles such as fatshark HDO's or Dom V3s. These 2 purchases are the most important in this hobby. There is a reason why they are the most used by alot of the top pilots.

I started on 4inch frames but moved to 5inch as my skill level improved and I found the 4inch props and motors a limiting factor. Most people either run a 5inch or 3 inch these days. Depending what you want to do these are great little 3inch quads Just add your receiver and a 1000mah 4s battery and off you go.

for 5inch I highly recommend the tbs oblivion . bang for buck, these are great and take a bashing. 1300mah 4s batteries and you have a durable beginner quad. A lot of the guys I fly with use these as carpark bashers.

Last edited by creative; 16-08-2018 at 09:29 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #78
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Not far for me

Funny thing is I still have one of the old FarKew jumpers that I bought when the Pacific Highway used to go through Kew, and when the Kew servo was a must stop for a pie and coke, I remember riding my Harley from Sydney to the Gold Coast and buying the Jumper as I was cold........it's changed a lot these days....might upload a new video tomorrow if I get the time....
I used to stop at the BP quite regularly and they all had Far Kew written on their shirts...
Old 16-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #79
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
I used to stop at the BP quite regularly and they all had Far Kew written on their shirts...
The BP is still there, filled up at it today, no more Far Kew T Shirts though, probably been banned due to political correctness.

Quote:
I started on 4inch frames but moved to 5inch as my skill level improved and I found the 4inch props and motors a limiting factor. Most people either run a 5inch or 3 inch these days.
Its probably the 3" that I am after before upgrading to a full size which is 5" I suppose.

I like the idea of flying them, but have no interest in building them. I have more than enough projects without adding building drones.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 16-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #80
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Quote:
The BP is still there, filled up at it today, no more Far Kew T Shirts though, probably been banned due to political correctness.

Its probably the 3" that I am after before upgrading to a full size which is 5" I suppose
I haven't been through Kew since the bypass opened...
Old 16-08-2018, 08:31 PM   #81
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its probably the 3" that I am after before upgrading to a full size which is 5" I suppose.

I like the idea of flying them, but have no interest in building them. I have more than enough projects without adding building drones.

Building one will give you a huge advantage when it comes to fixing them. You need to know how to solder as well
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2018, 09:14 PM   #82
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Building one will give you a huge advantage when it comes to fixing them. You need to know how to solder as well
I know how to solder, but I really do not have the time, I already have too may hobbies, may be once I retire I can take up building drones.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #83
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

My next drone is going to be a lot bigger, 5" drones suck as far as trying to fit everything in the frame...

...well the Armattan Chameleon does anyway.

I've dropped one board (I used to have separate PDB and FC) and introduced a hybrid FPV/HD recording camera but it's very very tight.

It's actually doing my head in...

Looks like this now:

...before anyone says anything, I haven't mounted the top deck yet. That is last after I have made sure everything works, is secure and is unlikely to fall or break off.
Old 22-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #84
creative
I am Batman

And my 6s build is complete. Just waiting on my batteries to arrive now~

2 users like this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #85
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
And my 6s build is complete. Just waiting on my batteries to arrive now~

What frame is that?
Old 22-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #86
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Looks like a compact build...
Old 23-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #87
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
What frame is that?
My team sponsor Team Design FS277 in 5inch flavour.

The only frame I have zero complaints about and is an absolute tank

Old 24-08-2018, 02:10 PM   #88
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
My team sponsor Team Design FS277 in 5inch flavour.

The only frame I have zero complaints about and is an absolute tank
I still think my next drone will be a 7" frame

I have emailed my local Shire council about where I can/can't fly within the conditions of CASA's and droneflyer's regulations.

Apart from disallowing flights at Hanging Rock without a permit and two week's notice there is nothing and they are not answering (so far) direct questions that need specific answers.

I can understand the Hanging Rock scenario, the place is crawling in people climbing and visiting the place (would make a more interesting photography site for the OP though), but even though the entire facility is never all used at once sometimes it comes close (obviously those weekends would not be suitable).

However in Woodend there is an old horse-racing track and its surrounds which are all public space. Given the population of Woodend is about 4,000 people you'd think I'd be able to get away with being able to fly at the back end of the racecourse reserve...no people, no property but a lot of open flat space and trees to fly around.

The issue drones have is that people think they're little spying devices that are used by perverts to look through your bedroom curtains. Plus you get the odd knob that does something stupid like fly his drone to Bunnings for a sausage on a Sunday...

...so I can sort-of understand the Shire's reluctance to give me an answer. Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

Push comes to shove I live on an acre in the middle of larger acreages, I don't have neighbours for hundreds of metres in each direction. My nearest neighbour gave me permission to fly my AR.Drone over part of her land...alas she moves out tomorrow and I haven't met the new owners yet.
Old 25-08-2018, 01:06 AM   #89
creative
I am Batman

The Hornet comes in 7" flavour as well. ;)

Honestly.... Be sensible and just go out and fly. Never had a bad experience with the general public and most people are actually curious what you have. Usually give them a quick rundown on the hardware and they find it fascinating.

Old 26-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #90
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The issue drones have is that people think they're little spying devices that are used by perverts to look through your bedroom curtains.
Yep, no thanks, to shows like a current affair (or was it 60 minutes, can't remember now) who recently ran a story that make persons who fly drones look like perverts and pedophiles.

Apparently people buy them for the purpose of spying on people and to watch children in parks

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave