Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-01-2024, 03:36 PM   #1
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default power window switch

Hi all have had nothing but problems with my windows since ive had the car. new switches, new motors and had enough. has anyone done a switch change to something like a set of fg switches ect.
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2024, 10:24 PM   #2
TICKXR
Starter Motor

Question Re: power window switch

Hi All, strange issue with au ute power window.
Passenger side window works fine unless it is opened fully , then it will stop and nothing will make it move and go back up.
Pretty sure motor, switches, fuses etc not at fault because it I leave it come
try again the next day , window goes up and works fine , as long as I dont go
full down .
Seems like after at least 12 hrs is needed and all back to normal??
Any ideas appreciated
TICKXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2024, 10:56 PM   #3
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default Re: power window switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper8
Hi all have had nothing but problems with my windows since ive had the car. new switches, new motors and had enough. has anyone done a switch change to something like a set of fg switches ect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TICKXR
Hi All, strange issue with au ute power window.
Passenger side window works fine unless it is opened fully , then it will stop and nothing will make it move and go back up.
Pretty sure motor, switches, fuses etc not at fault because it I leave it come
try again the next day , window goes up and works fine , as long as I dont go
full down .
Seems like after at least 12 hrs is needed and all back to normal??
Any ideas appreciated

Hi. possibly the switch/es have a heap of carbon in them causing the issues?. they need to be cleaned & some carbon grease [? i think that's what it's called] applied to contacts [i never did it to the AU and havn't yet needed to with the BA/BF]. also the glass binding when going up/down can cause some issues. and yes i had issues in 'Ol yella [AU wagooon] with the switches.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2024, 11:45 PM   #4
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My driver switch was playing up, unresponsive sometimes, then responsive again.

On a hunch, I removed all the pins from the connector socket, sprayed them with electronics parts cleaner, put them back in (make sure you remember which pin goes where!!...taking a photo helps), and the problem was fixed.

If you suspect its the switch itself, you can get them from ebay for like under $20. I've had 2 cheapies from ebay and they work fine.

Forget trying to open them up and clean the inside....I tried that once and all these little pieces fell on my lap, and I had no idea how to put them all back. :P

If you know what you are doing, you could try put them back. I couldn't get the buttons to click up or down no matter how I put them back!

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2024, 09:26 PM   #5
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post

On a hunch, I removed all the pins from the connector socket, sprayed them with electronics parts cleaner, put them back in (make sure you remember which pin goes where!!...taking a photo helps), and the problem was fixed.

If you suspect its the switch itself, you can get them from ebay for like under $20. I've had 2 cheapies from ebay and they work fine.

Forget trying to open them up and clean the inside....I tried that once and all these little pieces fell on my lap, and I had no idea how to put them all back. :P

If you know what you are doing, you could try put them back. I couldn't get the buttons to click up or down no matter how I put them back!

try the AU ones.......
Old 13-02-2024, 10:25 PM   #6
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
try the AU ones.......
AU switch housing looks different. How would you get them to sit on the BA door handle?

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 14-02-2024, 03:16 PM   #7
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
AU switch housing looks different. How would you get them to sit on the BA door handle?

on this page we are talking AU not BA/BF
2 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2024, 03:44 PM   #8
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
on this page we are talking AU not BA/BF
Woops. Sorry OP. I completely missed the section. Definitely go with AU for AU switch

Rides (past and present)

This user likes this post:
Old 15-02-2024, 04:14 PM   #9
chinamonty

with AU window switches (not the main controller) they are fairly easy to fix. The problem they have is the nylon actuator wears. If this happens then just put a bad of model cement in the metal contact so it is built up a little. Otherwise just buy new ones - they are not expensive. I keep a rebuilt one in the glovebox for emergencies.
chinamonty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2024, 06:31 PM   #10
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

AU's can fix anything
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2024, 08:08 PM   #11
chinamonty

Quote:

Its not hard to put them in place. they pivot on the H brass part that sticks up from the pcb. The ends then have to touch the round silver pads so that gives you the orientation.
chinamonty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: