Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

July 18 2007
Ford Announces New Engine Direction
Ford Australia today announced a key step in a new product manufacturing strategy that will allow the company to achieve production efficiencies and access global economies of scale.

From 2010 Ford Australia will import a global new Duratec V6 engine, including high performance derivatives, for use in the company's locally made Falcon, Falcon Ute and Territory model lines. The improved economies of scale resulting from the globally-sourced engine will offer increased flexibility to potentially incorporate future alternative fuel strategies, particularly diesel technology.

As a result, the company will discontinue its Australian I6 engine operations in Geelong in 2010. Redeployment opportunities will be maximised wherever possible and the company will work closely with its employees and unions to minimise the impact on the 600 people affected by the decision across engine operations. The company's remaining 1400 employees in Geelong and 3000 in Campbellfield will not be directly impacted by the decision.

Construction of the company's new Research & Development Centre, announced in 2006 as part of Ford's $1.8 billion Australian investment program, will continue and is due for completion later this year. Significant investment programs in new emissions laboratories and wind tunnel technology at Ford's test facilities at Lara will also continue, along with usual operations at the company's stamping plant and Ford Discovery Centre.

The decision to introduce the new engine and discontinue engine operations at Geelong follows industry-wide changes in consumer behaviour, including lower demand for large cars and the corresponding increase in popularity of smaller, imported vehicles. These changes have seen sales of locally produced vehicles as a percentage of the total industry in Australia fall from 36.1 per cent in 1998 to 19.4 per cent year-to-date in 2007 (Source: VFACTS).

"The Australian car market has fundamentally and permanently changed," said Ford Australia President Mr Tom Gorman.

"Our new engine strategy is a direct response to the lower manufacturing levels of locally produced large vehicles. Although we remain committed to our current local vehicle lines � Falcon, Falcon Ute and Territory, it is imperative that we improve our ability to respond to the increasing consumer desire for alternative fuels, improved performance, and better fuel economy while spreading the investment required across a broader base of vehicles. Importing the new engine from 2010 will allow us to achieve these goals."

The new engine will be sourced from high volume US engine facilities that are anticipated to produce approximately one million engines per year by 2011. In contrast, Ford Australia's engine operation currently produces 70,000 engines each year.

The next stage in Ford Australia's new manufacturing strategy is to improve the capacity utilisation at its Campbellfield manufacturing plant.

"We are currently investigating a number of alternatives that will allow us to return our Campbellfield manufacturing facility to 100 per cent capacity," said Mr Gorman.

"We look forward to working with our employees to ensure we can deliver on the next step in our process to continue building our business here in Australia."

Old 18-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Why buy a 6cyl Falcon from then on? There will be bugger all difference between Ford and Holden except for the badge.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 18-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it will be interesting to see what this new V6 will bring. I am looking forward to seeing it. It may be a blow that the Geelong factory will shut but hey times change and Ford is still a business. I don't think the government is to blame at all for this, I see it as the consequence of Ford's lack of business direction over the past few years, not adjusting to market changes.
Old 18-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

So we have a I6 until 2010?

Are the workers at Geelong going to be in a good mood when they build our engines if they know they are getting the sack?

Are they going to give the I6 a good run in Orion?

What if this is another fad like FWD in the 70's & 80's where everybody plays follow the leader and all of a sudden in the 90's they realise that they need RWD for a decent large cars and Ford and Holden cash in on this fact by pure chance!

BMW don't give a about fads and always stick to the proven RWD and I6 formula.

You can't seriously tell me that Ford "the truck company" has no use for a torquey and powerful straight six engine?
What about the F series and all the bloody SUV's.

If the Mustang can fit a Modular 5.4L why can't it fit the Barra?

My guess is that Ford NA said you can't have your cake and eat it too and it was either the Falcon or the Barra on the chopping block.

I only hope that Ford has a ecent V8 by 2010 otherwise I'm going to stuff it and go old school. I think a 68 Fairmont would do nicely or maybe a XE ESP.

It looks like the Typhoon is going to become the next VL Calais!

Seriouisly a big let down but I doubt cars will be any fun in 2010 the way emissions, safety and noise laws are going.

I think Orion is going to be the twilight of the Falcon.
Old 18-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I would be more concerned with the fact that potentially 600 Ford workers will be unemployed come 2010..

It would be interesting to see how well the V6 does in comparison with the I6 of the Barra....
Old 18-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
So we have a I6 until 2010?

Are the workers at Geelong going to be in a good mood when they build our engines if they know they are getting the sack?

Are they going to give the I6 a good run in Orion?
Well considering that's their job I would hope so :
Old 18-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
I would be more concerned with the fact that potentially 600 Ford workers will be unemployed come 2010..
Exactly.

Long live the Falcon I6. :
Old 18-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford's a business, life goes on.

I'll welcome the v6 with interest in 2010.
Old 18-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Thats right guys and gals, get yourself a bf or orion xr6t/typhoon and hide it in a shed somewhere, it might be worth a bit of money one day. Then again, v8 XE's arent very pricey yet. Bah, if only we still had 70's style homogulation races with typhoons on the track. Imagine what they would be worth come 2040!

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
Old 18-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #10
Focused

this sux crap news
Old 18-07-2007, 03:47 PM   #11
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone know the torque figures on these Duratec's, and are these the ones they where building with twin turbo's ?????
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Old 18-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #12
TZENU
XY Driv3r

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_engine

more info re. Duratecs
Old 18-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #13
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Can almost guarantee you that come 2010, the 600 workers will probably be able to be employed elsewhere within the ford Geelong factory. Should Orion be as good as various sources suggest, ford will recruit from within before hiring new staff. Furthermore, should Orion gain the exports it is supposed to to various markets, Ford will again utilise all of their capacities resulting in the creation of thousands of jobs. Mulally has already stated that he wants Oz to design and build the next LWB RWD car for the USA, see how busy ford is then. In a way, it is a concession for the fact that Australia will gain alot from the export deal to the USA; you have to remember that they have auto workers who will lose jobs too. Also, the CKD that some models will leave Australia in will be minus an engine, which should save shipping costs as well as negate the need to meet certain emmission standards in states such as California. If the american de-tuned engine meets those standards, we may not necessarily want the same here. I don't see it as such a bad thing, I'm sure that there will be other opportunities created for those workers. Meanwhile, it looks onwards and upwards for Ford Australia.

Quote: