Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #61
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Re: Time for a new Battery, any reconmendation's.

Optima or Odyssey.

Caterpillar have very good batteries but you'll need to go through their catalog to find the right size and with the battery posts you need. Reasonably priced too.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #62
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We used to use Optima yellow tops but we stopped because they changed manufacturing facility and the quality dropped big time, a good replacement for Optima yellow top is Deka Intimidator, they're made in the USA and cheaper than Optima batteries.

You can get Deka Intimidators through Bond Batteries as they're a reseller for them, I had 3 of them for 2100CCA in my Ambo.

Odyssey batteries are good too.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #63
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

When Optima first switched from Made in USA to "hencho en mexico", quality did suffer, I've got two newer Mexican Optima's and they've been great so far. the one in the GT-P takes a beating - limited use so it usually goes flat (I'd put it on a charger if it was possible).

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #64
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 for Delkor
I have one in my boat and its been there for 10 years and still lasts all summer without a charge
I have a nasty auto elec special in my Vitara and its lucky to last 2 weeks not being used and its only 12 months old
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
When Optima first switched from Made in USA to "hencho en mexico", quality did suffer, I've got two newer Mexican Optima's and they've been great so far. the one in the GT-P takes a beating - limited use so it usually goes flat (I'd put it on a charger if it was possible).
It could be because we were using around 100 of them a year in our builds, 2 per car so we were getting a lot of duds come through.

But if they've improved thats only a good thing.

These guys sell Deka Intimidator too if you don't have a Bond Batteries retailer near by:

http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/sh...timidator.html
Old 24-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #66
TRAU BLAU

Just reading back on these 3 pages on batteries,alternators, charging & testing with a multimeter it's likely that I had a dud Century 67EF which had 460ccs.(It went totally dead & even after getting a jumper-lead start the revs.had to be kept up or it wouln't start again on it's own!)The Supercharge gold with 650ccs seems to be a superior unit.But like they say...time will tell.
Old 24-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #67
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I would not recommend SuperCharge batteries.

Value for money, I switched to RACQ supplied batteries, good warranty, competitive cost and ease of installation, they're hard to beat.
Old 24-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #68
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I rely on Repco batteries. The biggest baddest one I can get in my Fairlane and falcon is about 620cca and has a 3 year warranty. I took one back with 2 months of warranty left on it as it wouldn't take a full charge, (not that you'd know without looking at the indicator), and it was replaced no questions asked and a new receipt issued so the replacement got the 3 year warranty.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2016, 08:31 PM   #69
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have been going through a ultra high performance century every two years in the 07 territory we have. Bit over it so I got a delkor this time, a silver calcium one. Was only 35 bucks more than the century and is 670cca vs 620 of the century. So far it has been too early to tell but I'd add it to you consideration as people have success with them. The car definitely starts better and I don't need to do top up charges like I used to do for the centuries, as it's the wife's car and only does short trips everywhere.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #70
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbo View Post
Have been going through a ultra high performance century every two years in the 07 territory we have. Bit over it so I got a delkor this time, a silver calcium one. Was only 35 bucks more than the century and is 670cca vs 620 of the century. So far it has been too early to tell but I'd add it to you consideration as people have success with them. The car definitely starts better and I don't need to do top up charges like I used to do for the centuries, as it's the wife's car and only does short trips everywhere.
I'd be looking at the cars electrical system. Killing a 67EF every two years points to something else.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2016, 09:03 PM   #71
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
How can you be going through Century Ultra High Performance batteries every two years, when they have only come onto the market only this month?

You say its too early to tell if the delkor is better, but you recommend them based on other peoples recommendations, no doubt those batteries have a more normal usage than yours....

And perhaps there is a charging issue as Loud Noises suggests.

Good luck with it mate.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 24-08-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #72
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
How can you be going through Century Ultra High Performance batteries every two years, when they have only come onto the market only this month?

You say its too early to tell if the delkor is better, but you recommend them based on other peoples recommendations, no doubt those batteries have a more normal usage than yours....

And perhaps there is a charging issue as Loud Noises suggests.

Good luck with it mate.
Ultra High Performance (UHP) have been around for a while, thats the branding that the 67EF comes under, higher rated variants of the regular 57EF etc.

The maintenence free (MF) range from Century is the new stuff with some improvements in battery design.

The short trips is whats killing them quickly.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #73
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to all if this was confusing, I assumed people would know about the territory issues. In the last four years I have changed out two batteries not because they were completely dead but because they were starting to cause problems. The territories are notorious for battery related issues, like poor starting, stalling after starting, cruise control not switching on, gauges stop working and other electrical gremlins. There are threads on here about this and its pretty widesread due to the territory probably having too small of battery and insufficient charging system from the factory. Even with monthly top up charges, after about two years of use these issues start to occur. I chose delkor as calcium batteries are supposedly more resilient to the short runs my wife does and they lose less charge over their life. The silver added to it makes it better again and was only a little bit extra. Guys in the territory forum have had long term success with the delkor as well as the supercharge.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2016, 09:31 PM   #74
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
I'd be looking at the cars electrical system. Killing a 67EF every two years points to something else.
Talking to an old timer at battery world, he said all the modern ford's have these issues not so much due to the size of the alternator or battery but more to do with the charging control electronics. Basically he said nothing can be done and he deals with it everyday.
Old 24-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #75
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Talking to an old timer at battery world, he said all the modern ford's have these issues not so much due to the size of the alternator or battery but more to do with the charging control electronics. Basically he said nothing can be done and he deals with it everyday.
FG Falcon is common for it, we were warned about putting 57EF into them by Century and only to use the 67EF for FG and onwards due to being heavy on electronics.
Old 24-08-2016, 10:41 PM   #76
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Yeah my FG is terrible on batteries. First one lasted 2 years and the current one might make it to 3 years but that's only cause I'm charging it up once a week or so. I do 48k's a day usually. In my car I either get strange warning messages or the A/C fails to work when the battery is starting to fail. My current battery is a Yuasu. I'll go for a RACQ battery next.

The battery in my wife's WRX is about 5 years old or more, never gets charged, car only does short trips and currently has not been started for 4 weeks. But I bet it will start first go when I start it this weekend.
Old 24-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #77
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I would not recommend SuperCharge batteries.
Why's that?

Personally, I've had nothing but good experiences with the Supercharge since I changed across to them about 5 years ago.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #78
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

^ I got a little over 6 months from the first SuperCharge (yeah it was replaced under warranty) and the replacement lasted 25 months. At the same time, had issues with my auxiliary SuperCharge which I use to power the car fridge but after 6 months use it simply would not hold charge. Got sick of having to put the recharger on it every month only for it not hold charge. This is on my landcruiser with a 145amp alternator so there is no shortage of charge.
Old 25-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #79
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
^ I got a little over 6 months from the first SuperCharge (yeah it was replaced under warranty) and the replacement lasted 25 months. At the same time, had issues with my auxiliary SuperCharge which I use to power the car fridge but after 6 months use it simply would not hold charge. Got sick of having to put the recharger on it every month only for it not hold charge. This is on my landcruiser with a 145amp alternator so there is no shortage of charge.
We had some issues with those Supercharge Allrounder batteries, but the Gold series are pretty good batteries and 40 month warranties.

ACDelco batteries seem half decent but I'm a Century fanboy, the yellow and blue batteries are made up in Brisbane.
Old 25-08-2016, 08:37 AM   #80
prydey
Rob

NRMA (racq, racv, raa etc etc) use exide batteries i believe.

repco use century yuasa.

also, don't forget genuine motorcraft batteries from Ford. they are also century and ford have really sharpened their pencil on some of their consumables. i recently put a new battery in my wife's focus, and Ford were cheaper by some margin.

my FG is 8 years old and only on its 2nd battery. first one lasted at least 5 years.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2016, 11:05 PM   #81
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
NRMA (racq, racv, raa etc etc) use exide batteries i believe.

repco use century yuasa.

also, don't forget genuine motorcraft batteries from Ford. they are also century and ford have really sharpened their pencil on some of their consumables. i recently put a new battery in my wife's focus, and Ford were cheaper by some margin.

my FG is 8 years old and only on its 2nd battery. first one lasted at least 5 years.
NRMA etc use imported Korean batteries

Last edited by music189; 25-08-2016 at 11:20 PM.
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #82
tapawera
2006 BF XR8

Had this car since 2011,Had a new exide battery in when i got it from ford, 2011 sticker on top of battery, blue/white in colour 430cca, pretty happy with the battery really, 4 winters it lasted, can get down to -10c where i live, car is garaged thou and not started every day.
Had two options at local exide dealer for new battery, standard is blue/endurance up from 430 to 550cca $170 or the extreme series, same size $189 and 630cca also a 42 month warranty.
I got the red/extreme, the red top looks cool under the hood
more cca, extra warranty.
This car has been damn good starter since i have owned it, i was surprised that it only had 430cca, but thats enough, if they start well.obviously..
tapawera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #83
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

My battery wholesale supplier is trying to sell me the Bosch branded batteries as a value for money alternative.

Anyone bought one?

I'm interested in any feedback either positive or negative (pardon the pun).
Old 31-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #84
TRAU BLAU

May be the lower life is something to do with the so-called maintenance free batteries.The old type where you can check that the fluid level is over the plates seemed to last a lot longer.But I'm happy with the supercharge gold which has got a 40 month warranty.The high cranks start the engine instantly.Tested it with a multimeter which showed 12.65, 13.69 with engine running & 13.65 with accessories on.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #85
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

The F6 had a flat battery yesterday (Sat.)
I mentioned previously that I'm a fan of the Supercharge Gold (MF 50)

As the car only gets used occasionally I always put the battery charger on at least monthly, with the smacko automatic 7 stage 8 Amp charger.

The indicator inside the battery was Red... I had used the car the previous weekend.

Anyway, I put the battery charger to work, 6 hours later still only two LED lights.. After 10 hours the charger LEDs are all on, fully charged! But the battery indicator is now still silver/clear...

Green is fully charged, Multimeter shows 13.2 volts across the terminals.

Sunday morning, put the charger back on again only two LEDs.. An hour later all LEDs back, fully charged. Multimeter shows 13.6 volts.

Take the car to Auto One where I bought the Supercharge Gold from on 5/1/2015 to get it tested, the guy plugs in his tester and tells me my alternator is fine! but the battery's CCA has dropped by nearly 40%..

He said I will need to give them the battery for 24 hours so they can charge/test further, and that this is now required by Supercharge for any warranty claims.

I asked him what would be the best battery to get for performance? and he said the Optima Yellow Top D34/75 $400- So I said go ahead and he has one ordered, if my battery is cactus they will refund me the balance against the cost of the Optima, if it's OK, then I will put it in the G6E, as it's a 2013 model and will probably need a new battery sooner than later anyway..

So in summary, my first Supercharge Gold lasted nearly four years in the F6 on weekend duty also, the replacement in 2014 only lasted 6 moths and was replaced under warranty due to acid leaking from the bottom casing, this one (replacement) is from 2015, and if it has also failed then Supercharge Gold may not be as good as they once were..??

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
GazzF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2016, 12:29 AM   #86
MattSAU2XR8

Dunno if anyone else ever had this but I had two sealed Century batteries in my AU XR8 and they both seemed to spit a lot of gas out around the negative battery terminal and dissolve my earth lead which was evident by green powder forming constantly. Previously never had this with the old fashioned batteries with removable caps, possibly due to better vents in the caps???
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #87
TRAU BLAU

GazzF6,that would have to be a good battery for $400!Yeah it does sound as if standing batteries wear out quicker.But it looks like the modern batteries just don't last as long.It's all about money.I mean can you actually buy a battery these days that you can maintain & check the acid strength & level?
Old 07-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #88
Full_Monty

My OEM motorcraft battery is still going strong in my 2011 GT, 40,000 kms and only driven 2-3 times per week.

It was getting sluggish on start up after 4-5 days sitting, so topped it up with distilled water and its come good!

Surprising good life.
Full_Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #89
fitzy1980

Odyssey
fitzy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #90
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzF6 View Post
The F6 had a flat battery yesterday (Sat.)
I mentioned previously that I'm a fan of the Supercharge Gold (MF 50)

As the car only gets used occasionally I always put the battery charger on at least monthly, with the smacko automatic 7 stage 8 Amp charger.

The indicator inside the battery was Red... I had used the car the previous weekend.

Anyway, I put the battery charger to work, 6 hours later still only two LED lights.. After 10 hours the charger LEDs are all on, fully charged! But the battery indicator is now still silver/clear...

Green is fully charged, Multimeter shows 13.2 volts across the terminals.

Sunday morning, put the charger back on again only two LEDs.. An hour later all LEDs back, fully charged. Multimeter shows 13.6 volts.

Take the car to Auto One where I bought the Supercharge Gold from on 5/1/2015 to get it tested, the guy plugs in his tester and tells me my alternator is fine! but the battery's CCA has dropped by nearly 40%..

He said I will need to give them the battery for 24 hours so they can charge/test further, and that this is now required by Supercharge for any warranty claims.

I asked him what would be the best battery to get for performance? and he said the Optima Yellow Top D34/75 $400- So I said go ahead and he has one ordered, if my battery is cactus they will refund me the balance against the cost of the Optima, if it's OK, then I will put it in the G6E, as it's a 2013 model and will probably need a new battery sooner than later anyway..

So in summary, my first Supercharge Gold lasted nearly four years in the F6 on weekend duty also, the replacement in 2014 only lasted 6 moths and was replaced under warranty due to acid leaking from the bottom casing, this one (replacement) is from 2015, and if it has also failed then Supercharge Gold may not be as good as they once were..??
Get one of these Gazza, you'll never look back:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOCO-Geni...gAAOSw0QFXBamT

I hate those batteries with the indicator lights inside. My daughters car battery goes flat on a regular basis because she has a sticky brake light which she never checks to see if it's on, so dead battery every couple of weeks. I jump it with the NOCO and away she goes until the next phone call but that indicator always stays red even when the battery hasn't died and it starts and runs fine for weeks.