Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 5 young men killed in high speed crash.

Angry about tightening road laws?

These tragedy's don't help...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/fiv...-1225820452302

Old 17-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
macca13

Unfortunately a speed camera will not stop this happening but a Patrol car pulling them up will (if they stop), Lower speed limits will not stop this but education might or at least smarten up the passengers enough not to get in the car. Yes it's a preventable tragedy but it will not be prevented by the current controls ie. camera's and lower speed limits.
More high visability patrol cars and more education will help.
Old 17-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

What a waste of young lives.

Tightening road laws do little for those who ignore them.
Old 17-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Yea I am cranky that this sort of waste of life still occours. If the driver wants to do themselves in then go slit their wrists or something, but why take other innocents with them? Like macca13, I believe a higher visibility of patrol cars will help, but it will not stop pure stupidity driven by testosterone. You cannot watch these bods 24/7 and even the hoon laws do not seem to effect them. Bloody ....
Old 17-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
What a waste of young lives.

Tightening road laws do little for those who ignore them.
Agree.... and the other problem is even with more marked patrol cars around these idiots just run.. then we get all the morons blamming the police for chasing them...
The wreckage is undescribable......

Sadly i don't know the answer to this.....

Old 17-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

I saw the footage of the wreckage on news this morning, unbelievable how i could only presume the car model by the rims, the car was a pile of scrap.

Waste of young lives, and their families are all affected forever now. sad.
Old 17-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Agree.... and the other problem is even with more marked patrol cars around these idiots just run.. then we get all the morons blamming the police for chasing them...

well, as far as the running goes, i believe wa police are bringing in some sort of emp device that is designed to kill the engine on a car, obviously, thus avoiding high speed chases. fair enough it won't cut the engine on all cars, but the majority that try and run are in later model efi cars anyway, so that's where it will work best. from what i have heard they are similar to operate to a laser radar gun.

slightly off topic, but does the herald sun actually have proof readers? that article was almost as hard to read as some of the posts floating around here...
Old 17-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Angry about tightening road laws?

These tragedy's don't help...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/fiv...-1225820452302
no...it doesn't. Despite all the work ford did developing one of the safest (both active and passive) sedans in the world, its the nut behind the wheel that has ultimate control.

I read an earlier version of the story without the speed involved mentioned and i thought...hmm, must be really moving to do that to a falcon..... then you find out it was travelling 160km/h.

That is not 'speeding' that is INSANELY STUPID. You have to have no judgement of any kind to do that speed in any surburban situation. Its got nothing to do with the 'posted limit' that wouldn't be safe for craig lowndes to do in his V8 supercar. There is a reason they line street circuits with so much safety barrier. Oh, and craig is in the car by himself in a race seat, with harness, hans and a roll cage. He doesn't take 5 other people for a spin whith him, at least one of which can't be wearing any restraints....

If it wasn't for the 5 deaths involved i'd say that sort of behaviour was a waste of a good car. Sadly, 5 families won't see it that way and will have to deal with this for the rest of their lives.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 17-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
lubby1

Unless the police get out there and make their presence seen these kinds of tradgedies will continue to happen. I feel bad for the famalies concerned but i believe hidden speed cameras would not prevent these tradgedies.
Old 17-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby1
Unless the police get out there and make their presence seen these kinds of tradgedies will continue to happen. I feel bad for the famalies concerned but i believe hidden speed cameras would not prevent these tradgedies.
The police cant be everywhere all the time, this happened at 2am.
These idiots just try to out run the police anyway, they see it as a game.
We'll probably find out the driver was outside of his passenger restrictions and car power restrictions too...
No amount of rules, training, camera's etc will stop this, only parental/peer/community pressure will.

Old 17-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
We'll probably find out the driver was outside of his passenger restrictions and car power restrictions too...
probably, but we need to be careful going down that path. I know plenty of EF XR6s that can get to 160km/h in a surburban street and that is a legal car to drive on p plates. As is, for that matter, the ever popular VN commodore.

Hell, a daihatus sirion might only get to 100km/h, but i doubt it survivability at that speed is any better than an FG at 160km/h.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 17-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
No amount of rules, training, camera's etc will stop this, only parental/peer/community pressure will.
That'll be the day Norm. Half the reason this stuff happens.
Old 17-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
jcxr
Tribal Elder

This stretch of road has claimed numerous lives. Two people died approx. 100m from this scene a couple of months ago.
People speed here during daylight hours, cant imagine the speeds they must get up to in the wee small hours. Hope I dont know any of the young blokes as I'm a local.
Old 17-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
age7875
Starter Motor

160kmh ... on Plenty Rd ... that is just absolutely insane. No one can protect against that type of stupidity. Not more Police, not more education, not lower limits.

So very, very sad.
Old 17-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Only thing to distinguish the car model was the wheels.
How many lives need to be lost before these people realise. Maybe regular speeding offenders should be taken to a fatality to see whats its all about, drastic measure but.....
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 17-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #16
age7875
Starter Motor

Some additional info from "The Age";

http://www.theage.com.au/national/cr...0117-mdrl.html
Old 17-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
How many lives need to be lost before these people realise. Maybe regular speeding offenders should be taken to a fatality to see whats its all about, drastic measure but.....
I think 160kph falls into the Dangerous driving category, which as we know can occur within the speed limit (ie: drink driving). It is these people that should be dragged to the crash site of another moron who did the same thing and wasnt so lucky. Photos are well and good, but I've seen a fatal road accident in person, didnt even know the person and it brought tears to my eyes. And he wasn't even the result of driving incompetence.
Old 17-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tragic indeed , sympathy to the families.
Old 17-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #19
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

What a waste......one of the worst crashes we've had in a while by my reckoning, in terms of the fatality count, and the sheer devastation from the TV footage......

Scotty85, you're spot on - it's peer pressure that leads to a lot of this stuff happening, especially with the younger kids....

As far as restrictions, the Age article says the driver was 19 - doesn't that mean under the 'new' P-Plate laws he's only allowed one passenger for 12 months or something??? In any case, to fit 6 people into the car was asking for trouble...never mind 6 pumped-up hero kids who think they're invincible.....we know we all felt the same way at their age.....nothing would happen to us!
Old 17-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #20
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
As a start, all young people should be made to watch this video:

In fact, I say to all of you, please watch this video today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8

They should be made to watch it when they go for their L's, when they get their P's, and it should be a regular on TV for me - at the end of the dad, it's the shock value that makes these things so effective. If it only saves one person for being killed, isn't that still worth it??
Old 17-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #21
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Despite all the work ford did developing one of the safest (both active and passive) sedans in the world,
But they then went and smacked a turbo on an engine which already hauls the Falcon along a fairly good rate.... I can see why governments react and start to limit people on what they are allowed to drive, re: the supercar scare of the 70's.

I am all for fast cars, and getting a kick out of them at high speed. There is a place to do this, in a controlled situation at a motorsport facility. There are so many immature minds out there who have no comprehension of risk or consquences that I honestly would feel safer if they started to cap power to weight ratio's in cars, and installed GPS speed limiters.

There will always be stupid people out there, and a they are still capable of causing deaths in a Yaris. But why we compound the situation by building sedans with Porsche like speed at a price anyone can afford, it is beyond me....

200kw is plenty of horses, get your kicks at the racetrack, and wipe of 5km/h on the road.
Old 17-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #22
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An absolute tragedy. 5 lives lost and the lives of 5 families destroyed.

I tend to differ from those who say extra policing, ower restrictions etc may have helped avoid this. IMO you just cannot legislate to cover this type of mentality and stupidity. To do that sort of speed at 2am in a suburban street with a carload of people was only ever going to get the same result. When the driver was careering down the road like that, I can guarantee you he wasn't considering demerit points or a fine......the people who do this are on another level of thinking. There's no logic being applied whatsoever. I don't know the answer either.
Old 17-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #23
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Fact #1 - the young kids who think they are untouchable - they don't think about the impact their actions can have on others whilst they are doing them.

Fact #2 - no matter how much we try to act, things like this will ALWAYS happen. It's a pity...

I feel so empty for the people that have been left behind......parents who have lost a child, sisters who have lost a brother, friends who have lost a mate.....clearly these kids weren't thinking about these people when they went out on Plenty Rd....
Old 17-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #24
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The news seens to be contradicting itself. I dont think they know whether its four or five.

Quote:
Others in the car included a 19-year-old driver from Wallan and his 21-year-old brother, a 19-year-old man from Morang and another man from Wallan whose age is unknown

"The car was split in two. The only way I could tell it was a Falcon was the boot had been blown off the car. Paramedics saw there were four men who had died and a 15-year-old girl who was trapped in the back seat.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 17-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #25
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
An absolute tragedy. 5 lives lost and the lives of 5 families destroyed.

I tend to differ from those who say extra policing, ower restrictions etc may have helped avoid this. IMO you just cannot legislate to cover this type of mentality and stupidity. To do that sort of speed at 2am in a suburban street with a carload of people was only ever going to get the same result. When the driver was careering down the road like that, I can guarantee you he wasn't considering demerit points or a fine......the people who do this are on another level of thinking. There's no logic being applied whatsoever. I don't know the answer either.
Agree 100%
Old 17-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #26
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
The news seens to be contradicting itself.
Not surprised
Old 17-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #27
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another picture

Old 17-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #28
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon thats the spot where it hit

Not sure how you manage that on a flat straight road unless you are drunk aswell

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...12,294.89,,0,5

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...01742&t=k&z=20

Old 17-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #29
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

The sad fact is you will never teach all younger people, full of desire to have fun, that this sort of thing kills. No matter how much money you throw at it in education, there will always be the minority that continue. The only thing we can hope to do is decrease the population of the minority group that continue. The simple fact is this sort of thing will continue to happen, for as long as we have cars.

Lets look at it, we have had hoon laws, increased penalties, increased methods of law enforcement, increased advetising, driver restriction and still young people die in high speed crashes. Been there seen that.

We have increased education on the effects of excessive alcohol consumption, explaining the long term effects and increase potential for an intoxicated person to be assaulted or suffer trauma. We have introduced lock down on night club districts, increased police presence and so on. But still young people drink until they are permanently brain damaged, bleed to death from oesophageal varices or die of liver failure before they are 50. Been there seen that.

We have increased public education on the dangers of drugs, outlining the risks of their use. We have stronger laws with better enforcement techniques, changes to medication laws to prevent misuse (why do you think sudafed no longer has psuedoephedrine). But still younger people put all sorts of garbage in their body to feel good, resulting in many of them developing lethal heart arrythmias, brain damage, drug induced psychoses, OD etc etc. Been there seen that.

Perhaps we should get some of the previous offenders to spend two weeks with me at work, it would give them a different outlook. Unfortunately I do not think that outlook will be enough though, they always have the attitude of "that won't happen to me".
Old 17-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #30
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Perhaps we should get some of the previous offenders to spend two weeks with me at work, it would give them a different outlook.
Forgive my ignorance, but what do you do for work?

Excellent post I might add