Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #61
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

6 people, only 5 seat belts & 140km/h!!! How can anyone be so dumb? I'm glad the driver is died as he murdered 4 people & is worthless in my book (his a murder & should be treat as such). I feel sorry for the 4 other people & their families... So sad, so sad.
Old 17-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #62
US kills Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
............why the passengers didnt speak up?
That doesn't work and I know from experience. A mate used to drive even more insanely if we complained about his driving because he thought we were all chicken. That behaviour fortunately stopped after he almost killed six of us when he hit a parked car playing chicken. Now he drives like a nanny. Some people have to learn the hard way.
Old 17-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #63
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

An emotive topic but you cannot legislate against stupidity and you cannot put an old head on young shoulders as has been said before if an idiot wants to speed nothing you can do will stop them. I feel sorry for the families involved and as the father of 2 teenage kids one on her P's I can only hope that they employ that brain cell that they posess to not get involved in an incident like this.

If you are a passenger in a car being driven like this one obviously has been for gods sake tell them to pull over and get out I am sure as a parent even at 2am I would rather get a call asking to be picked up from anywhere than a police knock at 5am saying we are sorry for your loss.

I have no sympathy for the driver at all, but the passengers who trusted him to return them home safely I am sorry for the inconsideration for your lives shown by your mate and those parents and syblings left will never forget today and what damage an idiot with a car can do.
Such a tragedy and waste of our youth.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 17-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #64
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Here's an updated article - they've revised the speed the car was travelling at down to 140kmh amongst other things.....

http://www.news.com.au/national/spee...-1225820472174
Old 17-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #65
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by US kills Falcon
That doesn't work and I know from experience. A mate used to drive even more insanely if we complained about his driving because he thought we were all chicken. That behaviour fortunately stopped after he almost killed six of us when he hit a parked car playing chicken. Now he drives like a nanny. Some people have to learn the hard way.
Yup. Oh and it wouldn't matter if he was driving an XR Eleventy Billion Turbo or a Hyundai Excel, a tool will still be a tool behind the wheel regardless. Blaming the power of the car is a cop out.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 17-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #66
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by US kills Falcon
It does work when you are serious, i was in a similar situation as young bloke, the threat of a good beating slowed him down.
Old 17-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #67
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive demanded to be let out of a car on 2 occasions in my early 20's... on both occasions i was ridiculed... on the second occasion the car took off in a cloud of tyre smoke and hit a pole not more than 100m up the road, a mate ended up in hospital for 3 days as a result but it could have been worse......

Old 17-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #68
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
Terrible, but i wonder why the passengers didnt speak up?

Just showed this story to my 19 y.o cousin, he is unfortuntely in the same "absolute d---head catagory... All that came to his silly little mind was "must be a crap driver"
I dont know where this attitude comes from but i see it all the time at work.
Tonko, I just feel sorry for your cousin.....

Show him the TAC youtube clip I linked to earlier, see what he says after that:

Here's the link again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8

And here's another clip (from Wales) that is quite graphic and sparked a fair amount of media debate in the UK when it came out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LCmStIw9E

See what he has to say after watching those two clips, if he's not too chicken to watch them...

EDIT - Here's another short one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Tyd...eature=related

Last edited by Dave_Obsession; 17-01-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 17-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #69
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
6 people, only 5 seat belts & 140km/h!!! How can anyone be so dumb? I'm glad the driver is died as he murdered 4 people & is worthless in my book (his a murder & should be treat as such). I feel sorry for the 4 other people & their families... So sad, so sad.
Yes, it's tragic, but do you really think the driver intended on killing himself and 4 of his mates? There was a crash where 4 young guys died on the West Gate back in 2007. There was another crash on Dandenong Road where 3 girls died after racing another car.

It is stupid, but I think most of us car lovers have been in situations that we almost killed ourselves and realised how close we came - I know I have. I'm lucky to be here as would be so many others

Time and time again when these sorts of crashes happen, it's usually on Friday/Saturday nights with a few guys in the car.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 17-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #70
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

When I was in school I always used to think "Why on earth are the teaching me this cr*p", when I was sitting in me Religion or Japanese class. I'd think there had to be something they could teach that was more useful than this and they were wasting there time.

Initally I'd consider given there song and dance that's going on over childhood obsesity that a compulsary nutrition class would be time better spent. Now, I believe that it's probably a better idea to do a road safety class one period a week for all the senior students so we avoid something like this happening.

I remember in grade 11 the entire grade missed out on a whole semester of inter-school sports just so they teach use advanced reading skills and how to speed read. This was a complete waste of time considering everyone would cheat, and I'd think to myself that there would have to be a better use of that time, which I now relize that it could have been to teach students about road safety.

Just a thought.
Old 17-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #71
Bobman
Regulator

Absolute carnage.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 17-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #72
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it occurs to me perhaps authorities pushing the speed thing are going at from the wrong angle, i would put speeding like this in the reckless driveing category, you can`t just say it was the speeds fault, speeding in this manner is the end product of driveing recklessly, every week you see drivers doing something reckless in so many ways that potentially could end up with carnage and not always related to speed, +1 Gecko`s idea sounds good, a bit of the realities of life(or death) might open some eye`s.
Old 17-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #73
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Though i do feel for the families that are effected by this, i wonder how the government will weld this for anti hooning.

Last edited by russellw; 17-01-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Insensitive
Old 17-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #74
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
I remember in grade 11 the entire grade missed out on a whole semester of inter-school sports just so they teach use advanced reading skills and how to speed read. This was a complete waste of time
It's a bit worrying when they're still teaching kids how to read in Year 11!!! And it's also worrying that you consider it a waste of time.....

I will agree that drivers need to be better 'educated' however....I don't see them introducing any sort of program at schools though.....that's a whole new kettle of fish...
Old 17-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #75
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Absolute carnage.
Yikes, I understand that paramedic on the Sky News interview how he said that was the worst crash his seen in his 30 years of being a paramedic and that it was very traumatising for the Ambulance crew.
Old 17-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #76
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Yes, it's tragic, but do you really think the driver intended on killing himself and 4 of his mates? There was a crash where 4 young guys died on the West Gate back in 2007. There was another crash on Dandenong Road where 3 girls died after racing another car.

It is stupid, but I think most of us car lovers have been in situations that we almost killed ourselves and realised how close we came - I know I have. I'm lucky to be here as would be so many others

Time and time again when these sorts of crashes happen, it's usually on Friday/Saturday nights with a few guys in the car.
Yes, but did you have 6 people to 5 seat beats & then still thought doing 140km/h was wise?? I'll admit I've had close calls & done things I shouldnot have & have been lucky & all the rest of it. But the only time I've driven stupidly I have be alone in the car.. No excuse & still not right, but I’ve ever driven stupidly with a car full of people, let alone when one of them does not have a seat belt!!

Last edited by Joe5619; 17-01-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 17-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #77
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its no wonder it took a while to establish how many people were killed....

Old 17-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #78
Wardo

When I was a young driver I did all the usual stupid things but never with other people in the car. I couldn't have lived with myself if a friend or family member was hurt or god forbid killed due to my stupididy.

I think a lack of respect for how your actions can affect others is behind alot of these type of tragedies, no amount of rules or enforcement will change people attitudes.
Old 17-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #79
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
It's a bit worrying when they're still teaching kids how to read in Year 11!!! And it's also worrying that you consider it a waste of time.....
Everybody knew how to read, we weren't idiots, it was a advanced reading program. I think I made that pritty clear, it's not like they were walking us through a Dr.Suess book for the first time.
Old 17-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #80
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
We had the Police do a talk to us in Year 11 (2008) and it was just them harping on about how the new P plate laws will save many lives and how speed cameras are reducing the road toll....

It was funny, out of the 200 Year 11s, 90 showed up.
It might just be me, but I find this really, really sad...
Old 17-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #81
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I to see their (the young peoples') attitudes on a night out and as I have said before it seems to be "fun at any and all cost" with that attitude anything and everything can be used to cause injury, some of the strange items I have seen used in a retarded way to achieve this aim that has resulted in a trip to hospital :

witches hat
drinking straw
door mat
shopping trolley
chocolate bar

and I say if you wind up in hospital as a result of the things above it is no surprise to me that cars result in death.

I spoke to a young guy once who was whining abd complaining about "the man" telling him what he can and cant drive and about how it isn't fair and that he should be able to do whatever he wants and to him I said

community pressures governments to make a change to laws when something tragic happens, the man makes the change because the community compels them to. The community compels them to make the change in regard to what car you can drive because far too many young people have died or wound up permanently injured as a result of stupid behavior in cars, this is why you cant drive whatever you want.

his response had me baffled it was along the lines of

I didnt know that the general public were responsible for the laws under which we all live I thought it was some jerk politician telling us what we can and cant do

when they have the attitude that some "higher power" is decreeing what they can and can't do then it is little wonder they rebel against it, they need to be told its their parents and grandparents that were the ones that applied the pressure to "the man" to get things changed as a reaction to some tragedy - and their reason was most likely to make things safer for the other kids - including their own.

you can make all the rules you like but if people choose to ignore them then they are useless at preventing outcomes such as this I feel sorry for the friends and relatives of these that perished in this latest accident as they will suffer for many years to come as a result of a stupid decision.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 17-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #82
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

This is a senseless loss of life and an absolute tragedy.

However I dare to be different here.

1. To be doing that kind of speed anywhere except a track is suicidal anyway.

2. No amount of policing or cameras or education etc. will ever stop this because society is getting stupider and lets face it, as more laws have come into practice, the road incidents (be it fatal or not) have not dropped to match.

3. I'm a p plater and with all of the current restrictions is makes life on the road very difficult or hey life in general.....so as much as I agree with what everyone is saying, just lay off the young fellas a bit because there are alot of out there that are older too. (I know the stats go against that comment)

4. People will always be stupid and kill themselves and others due to insane speeds. Examples in SA:

Late 2007 - Drag racing Main North Rd Gepps Cross....two of the three vehicles crashed whilst doing around 150kph hitting numerous vehicles and a bus. The third vehicle failed to stop. Result - Multiple fatalities

Early 2008 - Henley Beach Rd Lockleys.....120kph joy ride ended in loss of control and car around stobey pole. Five dead.....Hyundai Excel unrecognisable.

Late 2008 - Tapleys Hill Rd Fulham.....160kph joy ride ended in loss of control and car around stobey pole. One dead.

Early 2009 - Magill Rd Payneham........Drag racing 150kph cars collided and both hit the same pole. One survived the others dead. Both vehicles ended up in multiple pieces.

Mid 2009 - Torrens Rd Arndale....dragracing 180kph (Night - no headlights) Vehicles hit a car turning right and killed one person.

My point is people will do as they please when and where they see fit meaning that everyone else must be very aware whilst on the rd. But I emphasise that although the media portrays p platers very negatively, it is not always us youngins that casue the accidents.

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Old 17-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #83
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Everybody knew how to read, we weren't idiots, it was an advanced reading program. I think I made that pretty clear, it's not like they were walking us through a Dr. Seuss book for the first time.
Sure? Fixed up your grammar issues there mate..... :

Apologies for quoting you out of context.

Still, the wider issue of driver education in schools.....it will be near-on impossible to get something in nation-wide, unless the government makes it law for year 12 aged students to go through a 6 month road safety course etc.....but what about kids who don't have their L's? What about kids who don't want to drive (there are some out there).....any sort of course can't just be a theory-orientated one, we've already established that some kids just don't get it.

And then there's the issue of how much this whole thing would cost, and how much of a difference would it actually make? They would have to weigh this up against other options, once which they believe may have greater impact yet cost less (unfortunately it always ends up being about the money)...
Old 17-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #84
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I remember in grade 11 the entire grade missed out on a whole semester of inter-school sports just so they teach use advanced reading skills and how to speed read. This was a complete waste of time considering everyone would cheat, and I'd think to myself that there would have to be a better use of that time, which I now relize that it could have been to teach students about road safety.
When I was in year 11 they had a school excursion to the Chandler Sports Complex in Brisbane were they had the RYDA driver education program. Not everyone went sadly but we were split up into groups and went to certain areas where someone would talk to our group about certain things such as drink driving, speeding, insurance, stopping distances and a visit from a disabled man.

In the part where they demonstrated stopping distances, they had a Mitsubishi Pajero in the car park and they would lock the brakes on at certain speeds. But the best part was when they showed a video of fatal crash scenes by police, it was pretty disturbing and I hoped it actually got through to the kids that saw it.
Old 17-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #85
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_pazz
Very familiar with that stretch of road.... and TBH I'm not surprised this has happened.

The road is not sealed on either side, although he lost control on the dead straight section rather than down further where it curves out and is especially dangerous at high speed. 140+ k's an hour would be very easy to touch a wheel on the gravel and spin out of control. Road condition is not the best either and there are quite a few bumps and surface changes. Alot of people don't realize a full car also effects the handling ability of their car and the way it reacts to the road.

Regardless of the circumstances this is a horrible horrible incident and a senseless waste of life.
Whats the impact of touching a wheel on gravel at those sort of speeds? I'd assume panicking + slamming on the brakes while having a wheel on the gravel would have caused a spinout and tragically into the tree?
Old 17-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #86
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

I must ad however that the TAC ad is very confronting and it should hit everyone hard because that is exactly how things happen. I lost a mate to a car accident and have had another three that have life changing injusries due to seperate accidents. I have also been first on scene and witnessed a few fatals just as i have been driving around and with SES and CFS it is not easy to lose people, its not easy to have someone die in your arms, its not easy to watch a car slide for a hundred meters into a tree.

I think the sooner thaT people get it into their thick heads that driving is a priveledge NOT a right the better. Also that cars are weapons NOT toys. Sure have fun with your car and enjoy it BUT just drive to the conditions.

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Old 17-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #87
351capri
windsorman

sad, very sad, natural selection? murphy's law? who knows?. it takes tragedies like this to remind us all how easy it is to lose your life and possibly cause death and injury to others. while still fresh in peoples minds, these type of crashes may serve as a warning to others, but over time complacency returns. no amount of legislation change can prevent this from happening . education may help, but i think the school of life ie: reaching maturity, is the best teacher. lets hope and pray that none of us have to cope with what these families are going through. R I P to the deceased.
Old 17-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #88
GK351

What would it take for the govt to introduce these video clips to our air?
Thats what they need during licencing. Young old or whoever If they cant bear them they shouldnt drive on our road.
Air it on TV, graphic pictures in newspapers car mags the lot.

It sure would beat the pinky finger skanky smileing blond RTA video that if anything will encourage the young and make a mockery out of it.

I bet if that driver in the falcon was thinking about a graphic video that he watched as part of his licencing when he was heading north of the speed limit this wouldnt have happend.
Old 17-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #89
rodderz

I vaguely remember hearing a few sirens last night, we were still up that time last night as we are a few km's south of where it happened. Last year a similar crash was at the same spot, it was a Falcon XT or similar model, dead straight bit of road, large intersection and lined with big oaks/elms whatever they are each side. To break such a large trunked tree shows the speed at which they were going. The area is always full of young hoons too

Speed cameras wouldnt have changed the mindset of this driver, it only annoys them that they get caught and lose some dollars. They need to start from the beginning
Old 17-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #90
just_pazz
Ford Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
Whats the impact of touching a wheel on gravel at those sort of speeds? I'd assume panicking + slamming on the brakes while having a wheel on the gravel would have caused a spinout and tragically into the tree?
Well without speculating too much as it's kinda disrespectful I guess, and going off what I know about that road.

In the pic that one of the members provided showing the skid marks across the lane and onto the grass the road surface changes just before what you can see of the road, this is at the childs/plenty road intersection.. I can only guess that the car has reacted to the change in surface and the bump, being fully loaded... perhaps come of line and had a wheel/s touch the gravel.

He's either panicked and slammed the anchors therefore going into an uncontrollable slide or over corrected, too much gas and virtually slingshotted of the road, although I wouldn't think an NA 6 would have that sorta capability power wise.
Closed Thread