Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #61
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only 100kw to push a reasonably large SUV = FAIL!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 11:28 PM   #62
JimNiki
71Mach1

didn't the sheetmetal thickness change at some stage...
I used to stand on the kingswood bonnet and the old ford bonnet without them buckling when I was younger.

I'd feel a lot safer in one of those tanks anyday! airbag .. shmairbag ..
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #63
woteva

I work at a Great Wall/Nissan dealership and have driven them all plenty of times. As far as I'm concerned they're all varying degrees of rubbish. The V240 would have to be the pick of the bunch though. But that's not something to brag about. Think Hyundai in the early 90's and that's where Great Wall stand.

Yes they have Mitsubishi running gear but they're gutless as all hell, have a woeful turning circle and a pathetic gearbox. But by far the worst of the Great Wall lineup would have to be the SA220. I'm only a little guy being 5'5" and weigh in at 55kg and even the front bucket seats are too small for me. The leather doesn't look like leather and our demo is only 8000k's old yet all the colour is coming off the leather. The stereo looks like it cost $2 at a reject shop and the gearbox is akin to driving a non synchro road ranger. The only reason you'd buy one of these is because of price. They are garbage pure and simple.
woteva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #64
Bossxr8
Peter Car

How much money will you save when you have to throw the thing away soon after the warranty expires. Long term durability will be non existant.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #65
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Great Wall have not pitched that ute at anyone other than business who want a work horse... How long to businesses lease cars for?? 2-3 years?? (so long as the car lasts that long - they'll have saved money on buying a hilux/navara/other)...
It doesn't save you money, all it does is reduces your initial outlay. I'll use Ssangyong as an example because they have been around a while but Great Wall will have similar re sale if not worse. Figures from redbook.

2006 4x4 diesel crew cab Ssangyong musso $28,000, trade in value now $9,800 = $18,200 loss

2006 4x4 diesel crew cab Toyota hilux SR $40,500, trade in value now $23,500 = $17,000 loss

Like i said you pay more upfront and if your financing you'll pay more interest but i know which one i'd rather be driving for the 4 years. I'd also imagine the runnig costs on the hilux would be less than the musso once out of warranty.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #66
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
How much money will you save when you have to throw the thing away soon after the warranty expires. Long term durability will be non existant.
i dont think that will be the case, trim and stuff maybe but i reckon you will find them to be pretty rugged......

im pretty keen to see how they go, might get one in a year or so

everything under the thing is rodeo/colorado so parts wont be too hard to find. ive been looking on a couple of 4by sites and some of the guys with them have put rodeo lift kits, rodeo canopies, rodeo rims and offroad tyres, they all love them...say the 4wd system works well and has a borg warner transfer case....high and low range work well and can crawl well

it seems the only issue anyone has is them being underpowered..... that said its got the mitsubishi 4g69 without mivec, i think its a 4g69/4g64 hybrid and theres heaps of aftermarket stuff for those.......
same engine was used in one of the earlier outlanders and havent read of issues with those

only time will tell but i dont think they'll be as bad as the neysayers say

aparently the front is production pieces from the VW Magellan concept.......not copies of, but the actual pieces.....right down to the headlights having VW/AUDi Germany stamped on them!

http://www.netcarshow.com/volkswagen...ellan_concept/

Last edited by LUXO_8; 05-06-2010 at 11:41 AM.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #67
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
I used to stand on the kingswood bonnet and the old ford bonnet without them buckling when I was younger.

back then the cars survived and the occupants didn't!! all the energy from the crash wasn't absorbed by the car but by the occupants.

i think i'd rather the car crumple in to a heap to absorb the impact and the occupant being able to survive.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #68
woteva

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXO_8
aparently the front is production pieces from the VW Magellan concept.......not copies of, but the actual pieces.....right down to the headlights having VW/AUDi Germany stamped on them!

http://www.netcarshow.com/volkswagen...ellan_concept/
I'll check this out and let you know. I highly doubt it though.
woteva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #69
LUXO_8
windsor user

one of the fellas off one of the 4by sites mentioned he saw it on his own truck, so just going off that.
EDIT - obviously if its correct, it'd still be moulded in china (perhaps they got the moulds from VW from a stillborn project) im in no way saying those parts are made in europe

id like to check one out only closest dealership is ballarat or melbourne.

Last edited by LUXO_8; 05-06-2010 at 03:13 PM.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #70
Scott

Quote:
I used to stand on the kingswood bonnet and the old ford bonnet without them buckling when I was younger...
Maybe you just got fatter
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #71
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

The car will be alright, but you inside, will be about 3 feet longer than you originally were when your bones disintigrate from the force of the impact going into the cabin.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #72
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You realise outer appearance panels mean little in a crash? Its the structure underneath thats important....

Late model Chevy vs 1950s one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #73
magoo66
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
The V240 seems by what I can find googling is 2 star while the X240 is 4 star (Same as Camry Hybrid)

Just a snap shot of some 1-3 star rated cars that some here might be driving at the moment. Of course these are only just a very few of them ....

CHRYSLER VOYAGER 2006
MAZDA MX5 1998
HOLDEN BARINA (2005)
MITSUBISHI LANCER (2000)
MITSUBISHI LANCER (2003-2007)
HYUNDAI ACCENT (2000-2006)
KIA RIO (2000-2005)
NISSAN PULSAR (2000-2005)
TOYOTA ECHO (1999-2005)
DAEWOO MATIZ (1999-2004)
DAEWOO LANOS (1997-2003)
MITSUBISHI LANCER - MIRAGE CE (1996-2003)
NISSAN PULSAR - VECTOR - SENTRA (1996-1999)
HYUNDAI GETZ (2002-2007)
FORD FESTIVA WD-WH-WF (1994-2001)
HOLDEN - SUZUKI BARINA - SWIFT - CULTUS (1989-1999)
SUZUKI ALTO (1985-2000)
MITSUBISHI MAGNA (2003)
HOLDEN COMMODORE (2001)
HOLDEN COMMODORE (2000)
FORD FALCON AU (1998-2002)
TOYOTA CAMRY (1998-2002)
HOLDEN COMMODORE VT-VX (1997-2002)
FORD FALCON EF-EL (1994-1998)
VOLVO 850-S70-V70-C70 (1992-2005)
FORD FALCON EB SERIES II - FALCON ED (1992-1994)
FORD FALCON EA - FALCON EB SERIES I (1988-1992)

Of course these ratings are taken on brand new cars ..... a 5 year old car would rate differently depending on the upkeep?

Wonder how many parts in all cars manufactured today has parts made in China, Taiwan, Korea or where ever else ....... there is a saying that involves glass houses and stones being thrown.
Apples and oranges, the safety ratings of vehicles built a few years ago are completely irrelevant. They are only relevant when comparing vehicles from the same era and anybody currently driving or thinking of purchasing an older vehicle should know that they are not as safe as a new vehicle.

Only the X240 has 4 stars, the SA220 and V240 only achieved 2 star ratings. Comparing apples for apples, a current vehicle that can only achieved a 2 star rating is nothing more than $24,000 worth of rubbish, especially when you look at ANCAP's page for the SA220 and the very first thing you read under 'Risk Notes' is 'High Risk of life-threatening injury in offset test'.

ANCAP Great Wall link: http://www.ancap.com.au/results/sear...anufacturer=47

ANCAP SA220 link: http://www.ancap.com.au/results/337/
magoo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 02:39 AM   #74
CODSASR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXO_8

I would say your right although the indicators are slightly different
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V240_Grille.jpg (45.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Volkswagen-Magellan_Concept_2002_800x600_wallpaper_02.jpg (54.2 KB, 93 views)
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #75
Scott

Anyone interested in these should have a read of this, good little build thread:
http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=82207

Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #76
Chopped
as in chopped

Due to our greed in the West, we now get the Chinese to make virtually everything in our lives. I can't see why they won't be making our cars in the future.

I'd have a chinese car over an Indian one.

PS Now I'm thinking about Chinese takeaway......mmmmmm.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #77
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
Due to our greed in the West, we now get the Chinese to make virtually everything in our lives. I can't see why they won't be making our cars in the future.

I'd have a chinese car over an Indian one.

PS Now I'm thinking about Chinese takeaway......mmmmmm.
You know how the new VW beetle got a vase in the centre of the dash.
I'm thinking that all these new cars from other countries are going to come with special additions to them to distinguish themselves from the others.

IE: all chines cars have the speedo and other dials going from right to left like their newspapers.

The indian taxi cars all have mandatory air fresheners built into the aircon units.

sorry for sterotyping, it's one of my hobbies!
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #78
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

for families who want a suv but not the price if $40k they are ideal.. Many would keep them for a while not sell them next year and expect a decent trade-in. Hell my dads 2002 VX Calais was traded in and the dealer only offered him 7-8k (low 112,000kms).

As for tradies who just want a ute to get the job done they are ideal aswell, no point owning a maloo ute if your a brickie or a plasterer when you will be forever cleaning it and worried about dents etc etc
Old 11-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #79
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Sorry, but allowing these cheap things into the country is a bad thing for those who work at ford, holden or to a lesser extent toyota.

Quote: