Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Police slam 130km/h Hume Hwy stunt By WHEELS Magazine

Police slam speed stunt: Melbourne to Sydney in 6.5 hours

Joshua Dowling National Motoring Editor
News Limited Network
September 17, 2013 12:00AM

POLICE have slammed as "reckless" a magazine stunt that commissioned a foreign journalist to drive from Melbourne to Sydney above the speed limit at 130km/h - slashing more than an hour off the journey and completing it in less than six-and-a-half hours.

In a campaign to increase the limit between the two capital cities, the latest issue of Wheels magazine boasts "we drove from Melbourne to Sydney at 130km/h, didn't die and didn't get booked".

Defending the stunt, Wheels editor Stephen Corby said: "We've been told for years drowsy drivers die, but increasing the speed limit would reduce fatigue.

"You're less likely to have a microsleep, less likely to wander off the road. We see it as a positive for road safety."

The magazine was prepared to pay for three speeding tickets before calling off the attempt, done on a Saturday, but was amazed to find it didn't once get stopped by police in Victoria or NSW.

Travelling 20km/h above the posted limit cut more than 70 minutes from the 800km journey between the northern outskirts of Melbourne and the south-western outskirts of Sydney on the Hume Highway, to just six hours and 23 minutes.

British journalist behind the wheel Ben Oliver slowed for more than a dozen speed cameras and stuck to the limit in all other speed zones except 110km/h sections.

"I've never arrived in a city with the sole intention of breaking the law before, but any sense of roguish glamour soon fades as I head out of Melbourne on the Hume Highway, flagrantly breaching Australian law by doing something that is considered perfectly safe and legal in other countries," wrote Oliver, even though he later admitted "I wouldn't advocate making the Hume 130km/h all the way".

Aside from speed-unlimited sections of German autobahn, most European countries have maximum speed limits of between 130km/h and 150km/h.

But Australian police are not impressed.

"This stunt has potentially endangered other people's lives. Speed is still one of the biggest killers on our roads," said NSW Police Assistant Commissioner, Commander of Traffic and Highway Patrol, John Hartley.

"It's a deliberately reckless action. We take a dim view of what is clearly a stunt. It sends a bad message to other drivers and could have had tragic consequences."

Victoria Police Superintendent of road policing, Neville Taylor, added: "This has been a ridiculous high-risk stunt and is most certainly not an appropriate method of doing research into road safety initiatives. Speed is a significant contributor to one in three road traumas."

Despite the article amounting to a confession, police said they would not attempt to prosecute the foreign journalist - who has since returned to Britain - but did issue a warning to other overseas licence holders who flout the law.

"If the (foreign) driver had continued with that behaviour and been caught multiple times it would have come up on our police computer and he would have been placed under arrest and put before a court," said Mr Hartley.

Highway patrol officers regularly check the immigration status of foreign licence holders to ensure they are bona fide visitors rather than permanent residents trying to avoid fines, he said.

The lead-footed journalist said Victoria's near-zero tolerance to speeding "causes cars and trucks to bunch together as one overtakes another achingly slowly, terrified of getting pinged".

The author also "marvelled at the staggering wrongheadedness of the constant roadside signs warning drivers of the dangers of fatigue when an unnecessarily low limit forces them to remain behind the wheel for longer".

NSW Roads Minister Duncan Gay gave qualified support to the 130km/h campaign: "I think in certain conditions (130km/h) would be a speed that could be contemplated, but it is not a speed that the community would accept," he said.

Swedish car maker Volvo, the inventor of the three-point seatbelt and a road safety advocate, said it was aware its car was being used for the magazine's 130km/h stunt.

"We knew the nature of the story and we're comfortable with it," said Volvo Australia spokesman Oliver Peagam, who supplied a super-fast turbocharged sedan worth $110,000 for the exercise.

"It was more to illustrate the differing views on speed limits."

This reporter is on Twitter: @JoshuaDowling

How fast are you going now? Top Speeds in Europe

France - 130km/h

Austria - 130km/h

Bulgaria - 140km/h

Denmark - 130km/h

Italy - 150km/h

The Netherlands - 130km/h

Poland - 140km/h

Germany - Unlimited, on selected roads

* Australia - 110km/h (130km/h on some sections of the NT)
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/n...-1226720458018

It just goes to prove what bs the cops and govco spin. I wouldn't advocate 130km as a blanket speed in OZ. Some roads yes. In QLD not many would be suitable..

Last edited by csv8; 17-09-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: add link
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
GTBenny
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Police slam 130km/h Hume Hwy stunt By WHEELS Magazine

Bad move by Wheels in my opinion. I support the higher speed limit but deliberately breaking the law and risking other drivers lives to support the theory is not a wise decision.

Benny.
GT 335 MKII, ZF6, Tein coilovers, YT snout, 61mm pulley, KPM 1500HP fuel system, 1000cc injectors, E85, KPM exhaust, BMC air filter, KPM Streetfighter intercooler, built tail shaft, Truetrac, 479rwkw - 950nm.
GTBenny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABenny View Post
Bad move by Wheels in my opinion.

Benny.
Don't agree..from the article "Speed is a significant contributor to one in three road traumas."
1 in 3 accidents is caused by speed. The police spend an exorbitant amount of time and money on it. As its the easiest to police/raise revenue. While the other 2 causes are given little attention....The money spent is out of proportion to the other causes.
Old 17-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure the reporter was capable of handling the vehicle and the 130kph speed he was doing. It's the other motorists not expecting his closing speed that is the drama.
I'd love an increased speed limit but Aussies just weren't brought up and trained to do those speeds or anticipate others doing them. It'd be quite dangerous.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

With ridiculous high speed limits in those countries listed above, its amazing anyone from those places are still alive.

Probably find out there road toll is less than ours.

What we really need to stop is people texting while driving, now thats irresponsible.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I support Wheels 100% on this. I hope they continue with this campaign.
I respect the police but really this rubbish about speed kills is getting out of hand.
It is not the single reason for deaths on the road and the facts back this up.
Biggest killer on AU roads is attitude. That needs to change.
78xcgxl, 79FordEsky, AD07, adz193, Ben73, Benno73, BIONIC MAN, BLU-220, Blue Roo, Bobman, BOSS 540, BREEZEMONT, BroncosXR8, Bulletime, calmeister, Cobramad, colin55, crdave, cro142, Danny, data_mine, Dave_Obsession, DBourne, Deaks, desGT, DJM83, DJR-351, doktoravalanche, DRU076, Eaturbo, eldoogo, Fireblade, FPV+fteT3, FPV8U, Full Noise, Gambit, GazzF6, geehaa, GhiaEB, GQ_Smooth, GTENVY, GTpilot, hawkgirl, iCat, Iggypoppin', imugli, In Focus, irish2, jackson105, JamesR, joolz, Julza, KAM120, kaniSS, KurtisEBear, LeadFoot81, LightingBA, M&Ms, MarkAW, MercurySilver, michael_ozzie, mrn05xb, n0name, nb_351, new2ford, NX74205, OffRoadFalcon, Olbucko, OLD BALDY, opto, peteypete, Peuty, PHawk, randel, Raptor, ras351, RedHotGT, rednose, Revolver, RobVee, satria, SSVPom, SS_01, Struggo, supershifty, Syndrome, The FOMOCO, Tock, tommof, Tucool, Uncle Niceguy, usernametaken, warpsp33d, WILDB, XBGTFGGTP, XP6, XR8menace, xtraktor, yakcam, zipping, |||
Old 17-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
MAD
Petro-sexual

"1 in 3 road trauma involve speed."
Speed above the posted limit, or excessive for the conditions, or just fast enough to hurt?
Hitting a pedestrian at 30km/h is going to have a serious impact, but it's not breaking the law.

"It's not a speed the community would accept"
Maybe that's because of how unashamedly it has been drummed in to everyone, not because it's wrong at all.
6 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Breaking the law ... Breaking the law daa daa... Breaking the law...

http://youtu.be/-VBZClrxDLQ

Or if ya have 2.34 to spare

http://youtu.be/0E60h1mXw5o
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Amused me...who'd have thought Volvo would get in on that one. Cheers to em

Wheels and Volvo have got people talking and thinking. Coffee table chatter '130!' and 'what the hell is a Polestar?'

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
nb_351
building the xe...

The way the Hume is now, after being all redone should go to supporting this push which is a good idea I think
Same with much of the highway to Brisbane, if the road is decent and up to handling it then it should be allowed
As long as people not willing or capable to do the speed stay out of the inside lane, and it should be limited to the inside lane so trucks or p platers can't interfere
Good to see they used a safe car to do it, although I'm surprised to see they didnt use a commodore
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
MAD
Petro-sexual

The new sections of the Calder including all the bypasses to Bendigo could easily have a limit of 130km/h.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 'stunt' proves that the Hume is capable of higher speed limits. IIRC our average age of vehicle is about 10 years now. We're talking VY/BA territory, don't you think those vehicle are more than capable of being driven at consistent speeds of 130kph? Our road regulations have barely changed in 50 years, in fact speed limits have declined in many instances even though cars have improved in many ways.

Police are only slamming the article as they drove from Melbourne to Sydney floating the law and didn't get picked up once. I see it as egg on their face not Wheels.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABenny View Post
Bad move by Wheels in my opinion. I support the higher speed limit but deliberately breaking the law and risking other drivers lives to support the theory is not a wise decision.

Benny.
What else is there left to do? Try to talk sense to revenue addicted politicians and brainwashed senior police and the same old rhetoric is rolled out.

The only thing to do is a stunt like this - a few hundred thousand likes on Facebook unfortunately more powerful than facts......

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speed doesn't kill or injure, it's the impact of an accident. The idea that speed kills means at 30 kmh, you are going to kill. stupid propaganda. Why is it "Safe" to do 130 Kmh in the Northern territory on the highways, but not in Victoria, NSW, SA, QLD, WA ????

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
in_xcess

Irresponsible to promote these speeds... main dilemma is the poor driver training in Aust.

I thank the Army for teaching me to drive safely and on how to handle many types of vehicles. Our young drivers today know ***** about driving so to pull stunts like this sends the wrong message to them.

130kmh is fine when advanced driver training is compulsory for all and ipsative driver assessment every 5 years is legislated - that's when you'll see the road toll drop.
Old 17-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
"1 in 3 road trauma involve speed."
Speed above the posted limit, or excessive for the conditions, or just fast enough to hurt?
Hitting a pedestrian at 30km/h is going to have a serious impact, but it's not breaking the law.

"It's not a speed the community would accept"
Maybe that's because of how unashamedly it has been drummed in to everyone, not because it's wrong at all.
The pollies and police use this word "speed" involved in crashes a lot, do you know that that term means a vehicle moving not just over the limit speeding. They use the word "speed" to inflict fear in the general public thinking that speeding was involved or that they were in fact over the speed limit, but in actual fact they weren't, they use "speed was involved" because they found no other cause to the accident but still the vehicle involved wasn't going at or above the speed limit. Speed is deemed to be the vehicle moving and skews road statistics to show speed is the killer when more than likely it was inattention or fatigue but these can't be proven in a dead person.

It is revenue raising spin.
Fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

The Hume Highway is the main artery between Australia's two largest population centres. With this road dual carriage for it's full length, it is crazy to think that it could not be rated at 130km/h. No need for high speed rail when a simple change to the speed limit can cut a couple hours off the trip.
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah! yes the old "speed is innocent".

reminds me of the feller jumping off a 40 story building, got past the 10th floor at terminal velocity and was asked if he was okay, " so far, so good".

however he had a problem when he reached the bottom, a factor he didn't consider when he took the leap so far above and therein lies the problem.

speed will not kill but the unknown will, slow traffic, kangaroo, rabbit, fog, pothole, blowout, the idiot factor.

far less room for a mistake at higher speed, that is a fact.

I wonder how many other morons are going to emulate this fool and try their luck.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_351 View Post
The way the Hume is now, after being all redone should go to supporting this push which is a good idea I think
Same with much of the highway to Brisbane, if the road is decent and up to handling it then it should be allowed
As long as people not willing or capable to do the speed stay out of the inside lane, and it should be limited to the inside lane so trucks or p platers can't interfere
Good to see they used a safe car to do it, although I'm surprised to see they didnt use a commodore
Sections of the Hume, definitely. Any of the road to BNE, hell no.

It's amazing how much of a joke that road is in this day and age.
Old 17-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #20
MAD
Petro-sexual

Agreed Poppa, but 20km/h extra is not that much of a higher speed.
I found 130 to be a great speed to sit on when I did a few trips to Canberra from Melbourne.
It's just the right amount of, for lack of better wording, risk that keeps you on your toes and aware of what's going on around you. No sign of fatigue anywhere.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #21
Fireblade
Wizard Member

If it works in other countries why can't it work here, are our drivers more stupid, less competent behind the wheel than others in the world, I doubt it, so again I ask, why can't it work here?
Fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #22
MAD
Petro-sexual

Australia is different.

Our guns are different, our housing bubble is different, we have a different economy, etc etc
4 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Australia is different.

Our guns are different, our housing bubble is different, we have a different economy, etc etc
Because those affect our driving ability, and all.
Old 17-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #24
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did 140km/h from Sydney to Melbourne all the way in 1999 in a 1996 Barina 1.2L (33kw). Including my 1 hr stop at Pizza Hut in Albury, the whole trip took 8 hours. Didn't get booked, didn't die, didn't make it on the front cover of the Herald Sun. Over here I sit on about 130 km/h all the time (which is just keeping along with traffic) and it really does feel safe. Obviously the Police and govt are ****ed because they have lossed credibility with all the stupid campaigns they have had over the years.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #25
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
Because those affect our driving ability, and all.
It's called a light hearted dig at how many other times Australia is referred to as different.
Aka: a joke.

Try laughing for a change, it's actually pretty enjoyable.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #26
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
I did 140km/h from Sydney to Melbourne all the way in 1999 in a 1996 Barina 1.2L (33kw). Including my 1 hr stop at Pizza Hut in Albury, the whole trip took 8 hours. Didn't get booked, didn't die, didn't make it on the front cover of the Herald Sun. Over here I sit on about 130 km/h all the time (which is just keeping along with traffic) and it really does feel safe. Obviously the Police and govt are ****ed because they have lossed credibility with all the stupid campaigns they have had over the years.
I did 130 from Bundaberg to Newcastle when it was safe. Car chewed less fuel and we covered more ground in between breaks.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #27
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
It's called a light hearted dig at how many other times Australia is referred to as different.
Aka: a joke.

Try laughing for a change, it's actually pretty enjoyable.
Laughing? I have no idea what this "laughing" you speak of. Please, tell me more?

My bad, there usually isn't a lot of sarcasm on the forums and when there is, it is very obvious.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed Poppa, but 20km/h extra is not that much of a higher speed.
I found 130 to be a great speed to sit on when I did a few trips to Canberra from Melbourne.
It's just the right amount of, for lack of better wording, risk that keeps you on your toes and aware of what's going on around you. No sign of fatigue anywhere.

I agree the speed is fine, given all factors are conducive to achieve and safely maintain it.
I'm afraid I have attended too many fatalities where a relatively small increase in speed made the difference of the folks coming home in a box and simply having a stay in hospital.

we travel the NT roads twice a year and regularly sit on 130 Kph, we haven't died yet but at those speeds it wouldn't take much for things to go very pear shape, very quickly.

personally I don't think most drivers are up to the challenge.

we still have fatalities regularly on perfectly good highways zoned at 100 KPH arising from one simple mistake.

roads need to be improved, driver training needs to be undertaken at a younger age before we consider raising the speed limit.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #29
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most parts of the Hume or Princes could easily support 120 or 130... but I don't think Wheels should be using countries like France and Italy as an example...the roads over there are insane. I couldn't believe some of the stunts they pull on the road, even the police. Lots and lots of people die on the road over there, far more than here.
Old 17-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #30
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
ah! yes the old "speed is innocent".

reminds me of the feller jumping off a 40 story building, got past the 10th floor at terminal velocity and was asked if he was okay, " so far, so good".

however he had a problem when he reached the bottom, a factor he didn't consider when he took the leap so far above and therein lies the problem.

speed will not kill but the unknown will, slow traffic, kangaroo, rabbit, fog, pothole, blowout, the idiot factor.

far less room for a mistake at higher speed, that is a fact.

I wonder how many other morons are going to emulate this fool and try their luck.
Those unknowns will be there whether you're traveling at 50km/h or 130km/h.
The difference is how much more the driver is paying attention.
The proposed speed is not significantly more than the current speed limit and is only proposed for roads deemed suitable for these speeds.

If these hazards are preventing us from moving to this new limit then should we not further reduce the speed limit? 110km/h is still a high risk.
Are we the only country that suffers these hazards?

If the driver does not feel comfortable driving at 130km/h; like any other road he/she can reduce it to something they are more comfortable traveling at.