Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #301
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Police slam 130km/h Hume Hwy stunt By WHEELS Magazine

My reason for reopening the thread was to draw attention to two very pertinent articles by retired policemen (including HWP) in November Wheels. Perhaps folk (apart from Full Noise who already has) would like to toddle off and read those articles rather than slagging each other off!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #302
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehobb View Post
So you ask for proof. Then it is provided even though you are aware of said proof. Then you claim off topic and troll.

Bravo!
I could be wrong here but I think he like a vast majority of interstate/long distance drivers are getting tired of being blamed for every accident involving a heavy vehicle . In the example you have given , a tanker carrying dangerous goods IS the most heavily regulated segment in their industry . No ifs no buts they have to comply and they do rarely employ cowboys .
Even in general freight a driver can lose his licence in one hit , logbook not filled out correctly $800 odd , taillight inoperative $250 , 500 kgs over on front axle there's another grand or so . The list goes on and on .
Add that to the point to point cameras and speed cameras they deal with day in day out and think about it next time you go on your annual holiday that these blokes are professional drivers and 9 times out of 10 are driving to the conditions .
The media LOVE to report those accidents involving heavy vehicles but you never hear the outcome of a coroners report that shows whose fault it actually was , as always its quantity over quality . To use just ONE accident over 4 years ago to try and justify your point of view makes we wonder . Do you swim at the beach ? Cause I heard there ARE sharks in the ocean !
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #303
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
My reason for reopening the thread was to draw attention to two very pertinent articles by retired policemen (including HWP) in November Wheels. Perhaps folk (apart from Full Noise who already has) would like to toddle off and read those articles rather than slagging each other off!
I'd rather not waste the money buying a car mag these days

do we have any proof at all that the said the article is factual or that the interviews actually took place and the 'retired cops' even exist?
To me the whole 'we did 130 km/h Sydney to Melbourne' story reeks of a beat up to get sales back up

I spent a day recently with 200 or so retired HWP cops (pics to prove it btw)and chatted to many of them. They've seen some amazing stuff through their careers including many drivers who blindly think they are so good behind the wheel that they should be entitled to drive faster than anyone else and never be booked (sound familiar perhaps?).

Besides make the limit 130 km/h and I'd guarantee quite a few will do 150 km/h most of the time on these roads. Sorry but there hasn't been a compelling valid reason or case put forward yet on here by anyone to show why any increase in the speed limit should happen.
An afternoon trip westbound on the M4 Motorway in Sydney seeing a few lunatics speeding and swerving across all lanes through the traffic is a wake up call to the state of things. Up the limit and these fools would be even more dangerous than they are now
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #304
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
I could be wrong here but I think he like a vast majority of interstate/long distance drivers are getting tired of being blamed for every accident involving a heavy vehicle . In the example you have given , a tanker carrying dangerous goods IS the most heavily regulated segment in their industry . No ifs no buts they have to comply and they do rarely employ cowboys .
Even in general freight a driver can lose his licence in one hit , logbook not filled out correctly $800 odd , taillight inoperative $250 , 500 kgs over on front axle there's another grand or so . The list goes on and on .
Add that to the point to point cameras and speed cameras they deal with day in day out and think about it next time you go on your annual holiday that these blokes are professional drivers and 9 times out of 10 are driving to the conditions .
The media LOVE to report those accidents involving heavy vehicles but you never hear the outcome of a coroners report that shows whose fault it actually was , as always its quantity over quality . To use just ONE accident over 4 years ago to try and justify your point of view makes we wonder . Do you swim at the beach ? Cause I heard there ARE sharks in the ocean !

I do agree with what you say but people do often have a perception that heavy vehicles play a part in many road accidents and it is possibly because when one does occur it is usually of a horrific nature and tends to stick in their minds.

Add to that the recent fiery crash at Mona Vale involving Cootes Transport where the Sydney media was quick to make comparisons to the 2009 incident also involving Cootes and it wrongly strengthen the belief truck drivers are out of control.

Still there are cowboys on the roads and they may not necessarily be transporting dangerous goods and they may be few and far between but when roads users see them, all truck drivers get tarred with the same brush. Much the same as the hoon mentality is tied to the car enthusiast and we as car lovers suffer when in most cases they have nothing in common.

Incidentally the Coroner’s Report for the 2009 incident was reported in the media at the time and its findings can be found at the following link if anyone is interest as to what the investigation found and more importantly what the Coroner recommended.

http://www.coroners.lawlink.nsw.gov....olan,david.pdf

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #305
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Travelled to Perth and Geraldton, trips of 160 and 600 odd kms. Did not see any dumb behaviour, few people speeding beyond 110kmh. Yet there are stretches of highway between here and there which could easily support higher speeds for cars and trucks.
Another thing, I'm overtaking a 36m double and the occasional triple. If the truck is doing 100kmh, and I'm limited to 110kmh, it takes me 13 seconds just to get past the truck, add on about ten seconds to get out and in, also, I'd be a idiot to cut the truck off by diving back in as soon as I pass. I'm looking at half a minute driving on the wrong side of the road.
Double my passing speed and you basically halve the time to overtake.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #306
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
Travelled to Perth and Geraldton, trips of 160 and 600 odd kms. Did not see any dumb behaviour, few people speeding beyond 110kmh. Yet there are stretches of highway between here and there which could easily support higher speeds for cars and trucks.
Another thing, I'm overtaking a 36m double and the occasional triple. If the truck is doing 100kmh, and I'm limited to 110kmh, it takes me 13 seconds just to get past the truck, add on about ten seconds to get out and in, also, I'd be a idiot to cut the truck off by diving back in as soon as I pass. I'm looking at half a minute driving on the wrong side of the road.
Double my passing speed and you basically halve the time to overtake.
Assuming that an oncoming vehicle is traveling at around 110kph you would require about 1.8 km of clear road before starting to overtake the B double safely at 110kph, how can anybody see what is 1.8 kms ahead. Increasing your speed to 120 or 130 would reduce that distance required down to 700 to 1000 Metres, far less dangerous. Being on the wrong side of the road is far more dangerous than exceeding the speed limit.

Not the sort of manoeuvre that you would even contemplate unless you had a reasonably powerful car with at least 100-120kW per tonne.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #307
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
Assuming that an oncoming vehicle is traveling at around 110kph you would require about 1.8 km of clear road before starting to overtake the B double safely at 110kph, how can anybody see what is 1.8 kms ahead. Increasing your speed to 120 or 130 would reduce that distance required down to 700 to 1000 Metres, far less dangerous. Being on the wrong side of the road is far more dangerous than exceeding the speed limit.

Not the sort of manoeuvre that you would even contemplate unless you had a reasonably powerful car with at least 100-120kW per tonne.
Not only do you need the 1.8km to overtake, you also need to see about the same distance again to know if there is an oncoming car closing the gap at 100km/h.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #308
Paul302351

never the less , some one will be watching , ready to say ' what a ******* **** head '
Paul302351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #309
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Besides make the limit 130 km/h and I'd guarantee quite a few will do 150 km/h most of the time on these roads. Sorry but there hasn't been a compelling valid reason or case put forward yet on here by anyone to show why any increase in the speed limit should happen.
Actually most people will settle into the 85th percentile, and for an intercity motorway, 130kmh is closer to that figure than 110kmh - in part owing 'design speed' of the category.

Quote:
An afternoon trip westbound on the M4 Motorway in Sydney seeing a few lunatics speeding and swerving across all lanes through the traffic is a wake up call to the state of things. Up the limit and these fools would be even more dangerous than they are now
'Across all lanes' = lousy lane discipline and a major 'keep-middle' issue, not helped by existing limits only achieving a 'bunching-up of traffic' effect/congestion; this all leads to a stuff-all attitude, minute by minute, day by day. Things will improve on the M4 once the Connex first stage is complete. See the Connex website.

If you leave unrestricted Germany, and enter in Belgium (Belgium plays Australia here), once you enter the 120km/h Belgium motorway you observe a coulple of things;

a) Traffic is not anywhere near as free-flowing.
b) You get the creation of platoons_of_vehicles many increasingly sitting too close to one another.

The reverse is true when inbound to the German section.

People adapt to their surrounds pretty quickly, its why a tourist when on an autobahn, - tends to meld in quickly with the natives.

NSW *will* be upgrading its 'speed zoning guidelines' to cater for future limits of 120 and 130km/h, but the standards for proposed lengths held will be globally high. This thread outlines some of those requirements.

These limits will be the exception rather than the rule. We won't see for example a blanket 130km/h Sydney to Vic border, as the road has two distinct engineering characteristics; full grade separated motorway, and dual-carriageway. The two categories involve items such as various left emergency stopping lane widths, U-Turn bays on the median, a couple of RH median exits, surface and quality issues on some duplicated lengths, intersections. All need work to cater for 120-130km/h. Some lengths come close but are not yet up to scratch.

To that extent, I agree with some HWP opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehoos View Post
I live north of port stevens..2 hours north of sydney. have no problem if it had a 120Kmh limit.my truck is not speed limited-and I would be able to keep up with the traffic.
If NSW posts 120 or 130km/h, 'heavy vehicles' would likely remain speed-limited to 100kmh owing an updated ARR 25. Similarly, L, P1 and P2 holders would remain limited to:- http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fr...1+0+N?tocnav=y
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 06-11-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #310
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
Actually most people will settle into the 85th percentile, and for an intercity motorway, 130kmh is closer to that figure than 110kmh - in part owing 'design speed' of the category.
Having driven a lot in unrestricted environments, I find 130 is a very comfortable, balanced speed in a modern motor car and most of them are designed for this. The freedom to accelerate to, say, 150 briefly to clear an obstacle is also welcome and people don't abuse it. Even in 130-restricted countries, police won't jump on you for doing that because they recognise the role it has in maintaining traffic flows and separation. No platooning, which is one of the most dangerous things in motorway driving.

Quote:
People adapt to their surrounds pretty quickly, its why a tourist when on an autobahn, - tends to meld in quickly with the natives.
Except for the guy with the kangaroo sticker in his rear window I passed on the motorway near Nuremberg last year - doing 100 in the middle lane. I had a momentary flashback I was on the F3 near Sydney.

But seriously, I cling to the belief that Australian drivers will adapt!

Quote:
All need work to cater for 120-130km/h. Some lengths come close but are not yet up to scratch.
I agree with that, but the planning should have started years ago with an open mind to an eventual change. The "speed kills" mantra has locked down road design too.

Quote:
If NSW posts 120 or 130km/h, 'heavy vehicles' would likely remain speed-limited to 100kmh owing an updated ARR 25. Similarly, L, P1 and P2 holders would remain limited
The speed differential is important. There is nothing wrong with slower vehicles on divided roads - that's what divided roads are for. But being able to pass them quickly and safely is very important. Otherwise you have that platooning again, but with heavy vehicles mixed with light, a very dangerous combination.

Quote:
Things will improve on the M4 once the Connex first stage is complete. See the Connex website.
Urban motorways never improve things, they simply induce demand which brings congestion back to the former level following temporary relief. Car use in major Australian cities plateaued in about 2005, whereas public transport use continues to climb substantially. The investment priorities are wrong - but that's another (urban) debate.

Last edited by new2ford; 06-11-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 27-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #311
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

December Wheels has an ex NSW RTA person now coming out and saying the "speed kills" thing is a myth. Damn, the holy grail receptacle is leaking more and more.
Old 27-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #312
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
I'd rather not waste the money buying a car mag these days

do we have any proof at all that the said the article is factual or that the interviews actually took place and the 'retired cops' even exist?
To me the whole 'we did 130 km/h Sydney to Melbourne' story reeks of a beat up to get sales back up

I spent a day recently with 200 or so retired HWP cops (pics to prove it btw)and chatted to many of them. They've seen some amazing stuff through their careers including many drivers who blindly think they are so good behind the wheel that they should be entitled to drive faster than anyone else and never be booked (sound familiar perhaps?).

If you think Australian Motors are bad. Go and have a look at the Russian Drivers on You Tube.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post