Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #391
701let

Default Re: SS vs XR8 and the winner is......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrobbo26 View Post
Also considering the xr8 engine is hand built and only a limited number can and will be built, the ss will always outsell the xr8. I know which I'd rather.
I don't think either of those reasons are why it gets outsold. It's been getting outsold for years. In GT or XR8 form

Maybe an ad every now and then and some actual effort into the 'useless gadgets' and it may have had a chance..
701let is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #392
mattrobbo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701let View Post
I don't think either of those reasons are why it gets outsold. It's been getting outsold for years. In GT or XR8 form

Maybe an ad every now and then and some actual effort into the 'useless gadgets' and it may have had a chance..
Xr8 hasn't been on sale for the last 4 years to be able to even compete in sales and of course SS outsold GT once again hand built engines that only a certain amount can be made a day and they were in a different price bracket and market.
mattrobbo26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #393
701let

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrobbo26 View Post
Xr8 hasn't been on sale for the last 4 years to be able to even compete in sales and of course SS outsold GT once again hand built engines that only a certain amount can be made a day and they were in a different price bracket and market.
Yes I know it hasn't been around last 4 years hence I said in gt or xr8 form..

I know the GT was more expensive but if you want to look at it that way then you could look at the ratio of GT to HSV sales for the last 4 years..
701let is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #394
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701let View Post
Yes I know it hasn't been around last 4 years hence I said in gt or xr8 form..

I know the GT was more expensive but if you want to look at it that way then you could look at the ratio of GT to HSV sales for the last 4 years..
To be fair, it's a different price point and thus different buyer (as you pointed out). GT vs HSV is fair but you are right, more HSV fans in this country. See my earlier example of iPhone...

Also remember the SS can be had for around $40k. That's a lot cheaper than the XR8 so it will continue to outsell the XR8. Would be interesting to see SSV Redline vs XR8 in 2015.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2014, 11:59 PM   #395
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
I agree with you

I saw a Vf ss in the car park today... A stunning looking car... I wouldn't change anything on it.. Wow.

I have not seen a FGX xr8 yet but I have seen a FGX xr6 in blue.. Looked ok but I wasn't overly impressed. I think the FGX needs some really striking wheels to make it look nice. Those old GT rims just don't look right, nice on FG but very ordinary on FGX..
Yeah yeah yeah.... Of course the Falcon looks like ****!!

On a serious note I have a few observations... A 2006 SSV auto was quicker and sounded better then a MY15 SSV auto redline. 270kw vs 260kw and we are 8 years down the track? Compare a 2006 XR8 to. 2015 XR8 and performance wise they are chalk and cheese.

Goes to show where Holden have been spending their money, on gadgets, and to be honest the Holden tech isn't that exciting. European manufacturers have had HUD's In the past and gone away from them, the only feature that is stand out for me is blind spot assist, I have it in the Merc and it's a good feature that any vehicle would benefit from.

My mates in the process of buying an SSV redline ute and to be honest compared to my Pursuit they feel soft.... The lack of hp nearly makes you want to buy the sv6 and save 20k. I'm trying to convince him to put a walkinshaw or tekno pack on it but not having much luck at present.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 29-12-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2014, 12:38 AM   #396
HULK_I6T
Banned

Is this the biggest power differential ever between SS and xr8?? (335kw vs 270kw)

Not since Vt2 and Au has there been such a power differential (220kw vs 185kw)
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2014, 12:54 AM   #397
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

That's right FORDS to the front !!
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2014, 01:10 AM   #398
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing some people are missing here. Is that, Ford did not have the proper Budget or the Money to spend on R&D for the Chassis, Suspension and Tyre set up for the FGX XR8. (Irrespective of the R-Spec Suspension set up). And lets face it. The Dunlop Tyres are not really that good anyway.
On the other hand, Holden has had time and money invested in R&D, to get the right Balance and Handling of the VF SS. The only thing it lacks is power.
It is a shame that XR8 hasn't got that balance like SS. Otherwise the XR8 would have beaten the SS in all areas.

Last edited by Blue Roo; 29-12-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2014, 04:58 AM   #399
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
One thing some people are missing here. Is that, Ford did not have the proper Budget or the Money to spend on R&D for the Chassis, Suspension and Tyre set up for the FGX XR8. (Irrespective of the R-Spec Suspension set up). And lets face it. The Dunlop Tyres are not really that good anyway.
On the other hand, Holden has had time and money invested in R&D, to get the right Balance and Handling of the VF SS. The only thing it lacks is power.
It is a shame that XR8 hasn't got that balance like SS. Otherwise the XR8 would have beaten the SS in all areas.
Don't worry mate......those expenditures will all come out in the wash when both companies finish what was always inevitable. But you never know. Perhaps they'll sell a billion Ssv commadores out of know where to recoup the cost of the basically all new model and it's short lifespan! Perhaps someone hedged their bets that a miracle would happen and allow the model to stay alive and give it a shot a paying fir itself........

AND over in the REAL world....what's that.....well be closing shop? Dam....oh well....it'd be irresponsible for us to spend everyone's money on a car that has no future. Let's make the most of what we got with a kick butt supercharged local engine and put out a cheap ball tearer.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #400
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggo View Post
XR8 v SS-V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bikt_wcuFHo#t=41

http://www.caradvice.com.au/326189/f...arison-review/

Balanced review. Happily park either car in my driveway

The review was so unashamedly biased that I could not read past the "run it over the edge" quote.

If the Author of such crud actually gave ANY points to the Ford, then it is actually a much better car than its competitor.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #401
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah it was pretty clear where they were taking it when they started talking about "batting for the other team".
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #402
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
The review was so unashamedly biased that I could not read past the "run it over the edge" quote.

If the Author of such crud actually gave ANY points to the Ford, then it is actually a much better car than its competitor.
There is a huge difference in power outputs between these 2 cars and while the SS-V has a more modern chassis setup, I'm curious to see how that chassis handles corners with a 500hp supercharged V8 under the hood like the XR8...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #403
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
There is a huge difference in power outputs between these 2 cars and while the SS-V has a more modern chassis setup, I'm curious to see how that chassis handles corners with a 500hp supercharged V8 under the hood like the XR8...
Probably exactly like it does in the GTS...
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #404
skoobysGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicgoose View Post
Handles brilliantly! !!

Previous ride: 2011 FPV GT 335
skoobysGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2014, 12:23 AM   #405
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
So you're saying all I have to do is buy an SSV, stick a blower and big brakes on it and I'll essentially have a car as good as the $95k GTS ??

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 12:26 AM   #406
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fancy diff and magnetic suspension aside, probably not too far off. Obviously not 100% but the chassis is more than capable.
Old 30-12-2014, 12:50 AM   #407
skoobysGT

Quote:
Fancy diff and magnetic suspension aside, probably not too far off. Obviously not 100% but the chassis is more than capable.
And it would be quicker than a stock GTS too. .. By going down this path you'll have yourself a car that looks great. .. handles magnificently. . has heaps of grunt and packed with features..bargain! !

Previous ride: 2011 FPV GT 335
skoobysGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 01:09 AM   #408
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobysGT View Post
And it would be quicker than a stock GTS too. .. By going down this path you'll have yourself a car that looks great. .. handles magnificently. . has heaps of grunt and packed with features..bargain! !
Also tempted to wait it out and see what the last run of VF's has in store though...but we'll see.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2014, 01:13 AM   #409
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=1TUFFUTE;5292039]Don't worry mate......those expenditures will all come out in the wash when both companies finish what was always inevitable. But you never know. Perhaps they'll sell a billion Ssv commadores out of know where to recoup the cost of the basically all new model and it's short lifespan! Perhaps someone hedged their bets that a miracle would happen and allow the model to stay alive and give it a shot a paying fir itself........

AND over in the REAL world....what's that.....well be closing shop? Dam....oh well....it'd be irresponsible for us to spend everyone's money on a car that has no future. Let's make the most of what we got with a kick butt supercharged local engine and put out a cheap ball tearer. [/QUOTE

Here the thing. If developing and selling cars is just so bad for the bottom line, why does Ford make cars at all? Why didn't Ford just build the Australian car factory, engineer the first Australian Falcon and immediately close it all down again. Wouldn't that of really hurt Holden (and Chrysler) even more?

Would be far easier then losing customers and market share over a decade plus for Ford Australia so they could get profitability in your "real world" model of how mass manufacturing is supposed to work. Where with each less customer you apparently beat the competition.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 30-12-2014 at 01:24 AM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post