Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #61
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: SS vs XR8 and the winner is......

Pure muscle car XR8 wins end of story !.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #62
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith;526****
Hmmmm..dilemma, sell Territory, upset wife, buy XR8, probably not make wife as happy, keep Territory, buy XR8, knock down front fence to add 3rd parking spot, probably still upset wife...but wow would I have a happy life.
Apart from saying that the xr8 has outstanding performance they forgot to mention the wife silencer that it comes with! The more you put your foot to the floor the quieter the wife gets! I`m sure I`d rather listen to the whining of a supercharger than my wife lol.
Old 29-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #63
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

What a stupid comparison really.

Comparing an entry level SS to a vehicle that's just had the previous generations GT engine put in it.
Its akin to comparing an XA RPO to a HQ SS...
Ones a muscle car, the other an entry level sports sedan.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #64
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Pure muscle car XR8 wins end of story !.

Muscle car??????

This is what a muscle car looks like

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #65
hootar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Muscle car??????

But I think you would class that as an Extreme Muscle car.
hootar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #66
hootar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
What a stupid comparison really.

Comparing an entry level SS to a vehicle that's just had the previous generations GT engine put in it.
Its akin to comparing an XA RPO to a HQ SS...
Ones a muscle car, the other an entry level sports sedan.
tissue for your issue? Different when the boot is on the other foot?

Like it or not, Ford wins this round. Yeah baby.

Whoever wins, we the drivers/owners are the winners!
hootar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #67
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootar View Post
tissue for your issue? Different when the boot is on the other foot?

Like it or not, Ford wins this round. Yeah baby.

Whoever wins, we the drivers/owners are the winners!
Please, your showing your immaturity.
My comments were not aimed at degrading the XR8, I was simply pointing out that it isn't really a comparison worth considering too closely as the two vehicles are not in the same league.

I actually think the XR8 is an awesome bit of kit and a smack in the face to those who forked out for a few letters, but that's just a personal opinion.

But hey, if coming second for 35 years and finally catching up with 18 months to go is something worth getting excited about then go your hardest.

Actually, having the fastest car at the end of an era and then clinging to that one moment for ever is nothing new to certain followers...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #68
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:

Aus muscle

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #69
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I imagine the Holden fans are hoping HSV takes a leaf out of Ford's book and starts offering the S/C 6.2 across the lower models. Given the R8 I drive now was mechanically the GTS of a couple of years ago, I suspect it may well happen. Still wont help the SS though.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #70
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
I don't think it is this clear cut. Some of the car journos that I know personally, that also ride bikes with me from time to time, and can punt pretty well, tell me the Commodore chassis really is something quite brilliant and definitely well ahead of Falcon. I don't know much about Commodores, but I did have a look inside a Clubsport being raffled at a shopping centre recently, and I must say the Clubsport interior really does makes our cars look cheap. Not trying to start arguments, but credit and reality where it is due really.
Your friends are right, although I don't think this review actually said that the XR8 handled better. Although on that point, the term "R Spec" alone seems to have an effect on some journos, I've even read one review calling it high end suspension. It's not high end at all, just slightly firmer shocks and bushes with a larger rear sway bar. I've driven an R Spec car, not impressed. You're much better off adding a decent spring/shock combination or coilover to a standard car. The FG chassis responds really nicely, although the "R Spec" never went far enough from my driving experience.

Some of these reviews are doing my head in though. I've read all of them, one says the XR8 still isn't as sharp as the XR6T despite the firmer shocks (heavier engine up front, etc). Another one said the XR6T is a disappointment because it still handles like a boat. Another one compared the nimbleness of the XR8 to a Fiesta ST (would love to try the drugs he was on). I think the firmer ride and less roll in the XR8 has tricked some of them into thinking it's a better outright handler than the I6 models. Whereas in reality the XR6T could be softer but have better limit handling simply because it isn't hauling around that heavier unit over the front end. But I assume most are just driving these cars at 6 tenths though mild bends and never really searching for the limits in the tight stuff. That's where the VF chassis really impresses. My advice to anyone reading is to drive them all, don't listen to the contradictory opinions of a handful of blokes who spend most of their time reviewing Mazda 3s anyway.

Regarding this particular review, it's a bit disappointing how seriously some people are taking it (any excuse to claim a win, no matter how mismatched the comparison). It's a bit like comparing a non turbo XR6 to an SSV- they are 10 grand apart, it was irresponsible to ever compare them (although got plenty of clicks I'm sure). The SS is an XR6 Turbo competitor. While some people seem to be celebrating the fact that a supercharged V8 is quicker than a 10 grand cheaper NA V8 model, I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot they'd cry foul about how the media is biased against Ford. Wait for a proper test against a $55k Redline Commodore, not a base $45k one. The outcome won't stop me from buying an XR8 but it will be more realistic. A bit of maturity, please.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #71
Freiherr

Quote:
Yes, that is BIG block versus Ford small block. The 426 hemi maxed out is probably got double the XR8 horses, but we are comparing elephants to falcons.
Freiherr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #72
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Finally a review that gets a muscle car isnt about how quite the cabin is nor how I can stream music in a car!
And its that thinking that has led local Ford manufacturing to the predicament it is in today.
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #73
1TUFFUTE
Banned

What's with all the clowns calling this a mismatched comparison
They clearly stated it's the ENTRY level v8s you can get from either camp. And while the xr8 may have more power,(putting it in the 90k class) the vf is a far newer model by rights with ALOT more spent on its upgrade. Not just the minor bare minimum the FGx got!
Surely the SSs overall package should be able to keep up.......
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #74
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Muscle car??????

Some people would shoot ya for calling this a poster muscle car.....with those massive 24inch bling rims on that looks sic tho
Old 29-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #75
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
What's with all the clowns calling this a mismatched comparison
They clearly stated it's the ENTRY level v8s you can get from either camp. And while the xr8 may have more power,(putting it in the 90k class) the vf is a far newer model by rights with ALOT more spent on its upgrade. Not just the minor bare minimum the FGx got!
Surely the SSs overall package should be able to keep up.......
No need to call people clowns. Even the article itself said they were mismatched. Unlike Holden, Ford don't have an entry level V8, they have one V8 model which is the flagship of the range. Why not compare the XR8 against a Mclaren 650S, it is afterall Mclaren's entry level V8. Wild analogy I know, but price matters. Nobody will shop a base SS against an XR8.
Old 29-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #76
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

oh oh here we go again but thr Commodore Chassis is better lol

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #77
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To my knowledge the SS (SSV) doesn't receive any more power the more you up spec it, so in other words the XR8 will still kick its *** in performance.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #78
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Why not compare the XR8 against a Mclaren 650S, it is afterall Mclaren's entry level V8. Wild analogy I know, but price matters. Nobody will shop a base SS against an XR8.
Exactly, compare apples with apples. Mate of mine decided to go with an XR8, but he was comparing against HSV R8, and being a lot closer in terms of spend, the extra gadgets and power made it a much tougher choice than it would be against an SS. As he put it, its a better prospect day-to-day but for the engine of the XR8, and that was the only reason he was willing to look past all the other areas the FGX falls well short in.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #79
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
No need to call people clowns. Even the article itself said they were mismatched. Unlike Holden, Ford don't have an entry level V8, they have one V8 model which is the flagship of the range. Why not compare the XR8 against a Mclaren 650S, it is afterall Mclaren's entry level V8. Wild analogy I know, but price matters. Nobody will shop a base SS against an XR8.
If someone acts like a goose then they deserve to be called a goose. Like I SAID, the article explained WHY they used the ss v the Xr8. ENTRY LVL V8s. Pretty basic......and far more logic then the ussual comparisons where they compare a 60k GT vs a 100k GTS or the classic man v auto!

Even the SSV with its 260kw 515nm auto(closer price) doesn't get any power upgrades so like the article EXPLAINS, you'd have to spend close to 100k to match the power of the XR8.
These are muscle cars afterall.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #80
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
If someone acts like a goose then they deserve to be called a goose. Like I SAID, the article explained WHY they used the ss v the Xr8. ENTRY LVL V8s. Pretty basic......and far more logic then the ussual comparisons where they compare a 60k GT vs a 100k GTS or the classic man v auto!

Even the SSV with its 260kw 515nm auto(closer price) doesn't get any power upgrades so like the article EXPLAINS, you'd have to spend close to 100k to match the power of the XR8.
These are muscle cars afterall.
You specifically said that only clowns would call them mismatched...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpoint
We're the first to admit this is a flawed comparison

And hence the reason we were so keen to take the opportunity to drive these on-the-surface mismatched cars back to back.
So do I get to call you a goose now

My main point was that the XR8 is stealing the turbo I6's thunder anyway, which I think is unfair. Bang for buck, the XR6T/G6ET still deliver 90% of what you get from the 335, yet they're much cheaper.
Old 29-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #81
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
To my knowledge the SS (SSV) doesn't receive any more power the more you up spec it, so in other words the XR8 will still kick its *** in performance.
Was thinking the same thing, yeah go ahead compare to SSV so price is similar. Performance wise the Falcon will still flog the SSV. Newer interior and tech will win that part for SSV
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #82
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe they needed to test a base model SS fitted with a walkinshaw blower kit, Combined should match the price of the XR8 and whip it's ***! Really though the XR8 is nice bit of kit. The interior still bores me but it's going to be a great drive for many people.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #83
suzy_peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiherr View Post
Both XR8 and SS have their pros and cons. We can argue those till the cows come home. Each to their own taste and style, but what matters is that in years to come, both brands will be easily recognised on the roads as Aussie legendary icons.
I bet there are countless young kids today itching to get behind the wheel of a XR8 or SS and who will get that opportunity in 10 or 20 years time. When buyers look for second hand XR8 or SS in 2025, will they care what the interior looks like or whether one is better than the other? Probably not.
I dont know about some of you guys, but when I look at muscle cars from 1967-72, I look at Ford, GM and Chrysler, both Oz and US, and respect and admire each brand for what they are.

Absolutely correct and couldn't have said it better myself. I've been a Ford fan for 40 years... as a kid, I just never told anyone I loved Holdens as well. Whatever the case, they're both going which is a real shame. I must have had 15 V8 Fords in my time... when the Series II VE came out, I bought a manual SS Sportwagon for me and a sedan for my wife. I got 30% off the new car prices, so at $39K for a 6 speed 6.0 with leather off the showroom floor, there was nothing in existence that represented such brilliant value. We both love them. I don't give a rats what's faster... when I want to go for a cruise, I take my XD V8 out and in the next 6 months will be cruising in the XW as well. What irks me is when people openly bag Australian cars in the comments section of reviews, then in the next sentence start on about their Lexus/Honda/Kia etc.
suzy_peter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #84
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR8 is going to be a seller for Ford - it is a great engine in average chassis and basic interior. Good brakes , poor seating position ,good auto tranny ,average buid quality , low on latest tech.
So if you are old school and buy a car on engine performance XR8 is shaping as a bit of a bargain.
They are both out of my price range but if I had to pick one it would have to be after a long drive of each car.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #85
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't care about buttons and gadgets and gizmos. The soul and heart of a car is its engine. This is the most important thing by far. gadgets and gizmos are for showing off to your friends in the driveway. You cares about the driveway. The engine is what will make you want to drive it every time you see it.....
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #86
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How many 40 year old LTD's and Fairlanes are fetching $300000 plus. They had a lot more gadgets and gizmos than a Falcon GT. They still had 351 engines in them.....
Old 29-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #87
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One more for you guys...... I buy cars based on how many buttons are on the dash.....It must be good.... look at all the buttons.
Old 29-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #88
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry can't help myself.......... I buy cars that park themselves and talk to me and have soft feel buttons. Those soft feels buttons are very important. Much more important than the engine.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #89
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately most Australian's seemed to care more about the buttons. They must be a lot smarter than me.....
Old 29-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #90
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the vf ss has more gadgets than when the ve ss was released but how much has the power increased over those years ??? The xr8 is bringing the pain with roughly 100 kW more grunt than the ss and as a ford man I love watching the holden guys try and explain how its alright the ss is being blown into the weeds because it has a few more fancy tech peices that knowing commodores won't work properly anyway 6 months after you buy the thing ;-)
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB

Last edited by Falcon SXR8; 29-11-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Falcon SXR8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: