Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #61
nstg8a

Default Re: The FGX as the ultimate enthusiast collectors falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Spot on.

I think some of the guys really have no idea why the old bangers are so collectible....homologation race cars...

Ask yourself why are EB and EL GTs essentially worthless, EB is now 25 years old and worth jack, a fraction of it's 1992 new price. An XY GT in 1996 was worth 3 or 4 times more than it's new price of 1971. See the trend. The other plastic GTs will be worthless too like the EB. FGX will be worth even less......
I wish was rich enough to consider cars that are worth 20-30k worthless..

The reality is no one knows what's going to happen to values over the next few years because it's never happened. You can't use Mitsubishi as a guide, totally different class of owners/enthusiasts.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2016, 10:16 PM   #62
newi

Buy it. Drive it. Clean it. ENJOY IT!

Keep the kays down if you want to keep it long term - but why fixate on what it may or may not be worth down the track? I was with my 50th Turbo for awhile. But honestly - I think the days of 'true' collectables are gone.

I might be wrong.

Or maybe I will be able to choose from a smorgasbord of immaculate, mothballed FGX's in 5-10 years time.....
This user likes this post:
Old 12-09-2016, 10:21 PM   #63
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Dude, they not exactly collectible, nore are worth big dollars, what the going rate of a P76? Last one on a Shannon's auction was 26 grand

You're greatly confused about rare, desirable and valuable....no one wanted p76s then and they don't want them now either.
There are a couple of P76’s in the streets around where I live and a few Pacers as well and they’re all owned by fellows well and truly into their retirement.

I was walking the dog one morning and a fellow around the corner was washing his Pacer and I struck up a conversation with him.

He told me he bought it because he wanted a 70’s car for him and the misses to cruise around in and he chose a Pacer because it goes ok and they’re as cheap as chips to buy.

As you said, there is a big difference between being collectable and being worth big dollars as most collectables (which these days seems to be a common term for describing older cars) are not worth much and are more a passion and not a money spinner.

And I’ll say the same as I say in these type of threads when they come up every month or so, today people are savvy to the notion that old can equal gold mine and therefore there are too many speculators with cars locked away in garages for them to ever truly be worth a lot.

They’ll be collectable but not an investment to retire on.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2016, 11:31 PM   #64
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
But no matter how hard you squint, an FPV won't be a Sprint......

The genuine last of the of the performance Falcons.
Yep and a sprint wont be a FPV ,wonder where I can buy a sprint Ute
Old 13-09-2016, 12:18 AM   #65
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There isn't the same lot of enthusiasts that will push the FGX in 30 years like the XY GT, Monaro coupes, ESP's and Brocks. After us lot, that's it.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2016, 02:10 AM   #66
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintFg View Post
Nothing wrong with your decision to buy a GT. I will presume it was a 335 GT? If so its certainly at the top echelon of the ford/fpv collectibility list. I6T or supercharged V8 will be where all the interest is.
Sure is... my BF XR8 had just clocked up 250,000km and was looking forward to owning the last of the Aussie Ford V8's but something told me to get a GT instead.

Never regretted my decision though... love my GT !!

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Old 13-09-2016, 07:44 AM   #67
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It just so happens the fgx has the pinnacle of ford performance under the hood, offered in both turbo 6 and supercharged V8, plus it's modern styling and sync 2. The very best of the best, the final evolution. The end.
LOL Dude, Yeah sync 2 is the game changer that will make the FGX the most collectible Falcon over a GTHO...

My bet is the FGX will be much like a P76, the car that was half baked and built while the company making it was going broke. A few enthusiasts will argue it was there greatest car built at the time....
3 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #68
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One thing about the GTHO was that it was the top of the tree with regard to its performance, hence its desirability and the fact ford stopped making V8s for 10 years after XE, today the GTHO performance is near the bottom of the tree. I don't think they command the prices people throw about on here, maybe one every few years might change hands, to a very niche buyer, only a few are in existence, hardly a market value if none are readily available for sale and how many on here would actually part with the type of money required to own one? at the prices thrown around on here?

In today's world the turbo 6 falcon and supercharged V8 are the pinnacle of ford performance. This is the way things will end in a few weeks time. This is the way it's stays forever. FULL STOP 7 October. There is no tomorrow, no successor.

Initially they will be available, but as supply dries up, then watch the enthusiasts come out of the woods. There will be plenty of n/a xr6 Falcons getting turbo conversions and older V8 cars will get supercharger kits to emulate the best of the bunch. No one will part with them. It's not about price appreciation, it's about actually owning the best performance car ford can make, growing old, enjoying it and remembering what we all had.

It just so happens the fgx has the pinnacle of ford performance under the hood, offered in both turbo 6 and supercharged V8, plus it's modern styling and sync 2. The very best of the best, the final evolution. The end.

As for not being a bigger seller now, neither was the t series, many sat around in ford showrooms well into the BA series, now many talk about the TS50 T3 as if it's the spiritual successor to GTHO. They have short memories how they sat in showrooms heavily discounted until BA series 2 was out. Even the GTHO, there was a time when GTHO's sat in dealerships for a couple of grand, advertised in the local paper, difficult to move.

The factory closes in a few weeks, go and buy one now. Wait and you will miss out..

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 13-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #69
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
Got a feeling that the FG FPV's will be the most sought out late model falcons in years to come...
Got a feeling you're right
In years to come if there's anyone left that cares about local performance cars , they'll be trawling For best of breed. That means FPV cars with all the fruit and trinkets.

The reality is that the sprint cars may fare better than other Falcons but won't come close to anything branded GT or F6. It is what it is and nothing wrong with that. I don't think Ford intended on sprint being anything more than a fond farewell . The big goodbye was made with GTF.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 13-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #70
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
There are a couple of P76’s in the streets around where I live and a few Pacers as well and they’re all owned by fellows well and truly into their retirement.

I was walking the dog one morning and a fellow around the corner was washing his Pacer and I struck up a conversation with him.

He told me he bought it because he wanted a 70’s car for him and the misses to cruise around in and he chose a Pacer because it goes ok and they’re as cheap as chips to buy.

As you said, there is a big difference between being collectable and being worth big dollars as most collectables (which these days seems to be a common term for describing older cars) are not worth much and are more a passion and not a money spinner.

And I’ll say the same as I say in these type of threads when they come up every month or so, today people are savvy to the notion that old can equal gold mine and therefore there are too many speculators with cars locked away in garages for them to ever truly be worth a lot.

They’ll be collectable but not an investment to retire on.
This applies to my ZD. Not overly lusted after by anyone but me and a few land yacht fans but it makes me feel like King of the Road in a way that modern, better cars don't...
Old 13-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #71
superyob
Banned

Quote:
One thing about the GTHO was that it was the top of the tree with regard to its performance, hence its desirability and the fact ford stopped making V8s for 10 years after XE, today the GTHO performance is near the bottom of the tree. I don't think they command the prices people throw about on here, maybe one every few years might change hands, to a very niche buyer, only a few are in existence, hardly a market value if none are readily available for sale and how many on here would actually part with the type of money required to own one? at the prices thrown around on here?

In today's world the turbo 6 falcon and supercharged V8 are the pinnacle of ford performance. This is the way things will end in a few weeks time. This is the way it's stays forever. FULL STOP 7 October. There is no tomorrow, no successor.

Initially they will be available, but as supply dries up, then watch the enthusiasts come out of the woods. There will be plenty of n/a xr6 Falcons getting turbo conversions and older V8 cars will get supercharger kits to emulate the best of the bunch. No one will part with them. It's not about price appreciation, it's about actually owning the best performance car ford can make, growing old, enjoying it and remembering what we all had.

As for not being a bigger seller now, neither was the t series, many sat around in ford showrooms well into the BA series, now many talk about the TS50 T3 as if it's the spiritual successor to GTHO. They have short memories how they sat in showrooms heavily discounted until BA series 2 was out. Even the GTHO, there was a time when GTHO's sat in dealerships for a couple of grand, advertised in the local paper, difficult to move.

The factory closes in a few weeks, go and buy one now. Wait and you will miss out..
Not all about performance. It's about history, styling, desirability, something that a modern Falcon lacks in bucket loads...
Old 13-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #72
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

The forced induction FPV are the modern day collectables from Ford Australia.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #73
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

interesting thoughts here. as a motor dealer I see and deal in a lot of performance stuff, Holden and Ford, what I am seeing is the wholesale price of the cars is not far from the retail price. The cars also don't seem to sell very quickly either. So what does this mean? nothing bar a GTHO or A9X or similar cars are on the collectable list.

There is so many of what I call the bread and butter performance cars, XR6 Turbo, SS Commodore, Clubsport on the market it's killing it. I don't think you are going to see what is or isn't going to be collectable for at least 5 years after Ford and Holden shut down. even then I can really only see a few being the one's people are chasing.

F6, sprint, GT-F, GT-Rspec,

Clubsport R8, GTS, GTS-R (if it gets built)
Old 13-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #74
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

I think the FGX is a good car and they've done well however there are a lot more appealing falcons to collectors. Especially the older ones. FPV and the Tickfords I would say will have an even bigger collectable presence already in the newer range models.
Old 13-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #75
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What makes a car valuable? - Rarity.

There's a reason why the Phase 4 will forever be the most valuable car ever built in Australia. There's only 3 and we can't have one.

Too many Sprints were bought home on transporters to keep the kays down and put straight under covers.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Old 13-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #76
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Collectiable Falcon?
Any that had a racing heritage, that was homologated for racing.
The obvious being the GTHO P3. However I would suspect the GTHO P2 being more of a collector, it was more raw from all reports.
More so, the GTHO IV.

The rest? debatable. Later models? ED Sprint may be, but hard to think of any besides the FG F6 maybe.
Phase II HO was a bit of a beast
Old 13-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #77
Rob1964

I read in Unique Cars a couple of years ago that old Holdens ie FCs are stagnating on the market due to the people that grew up and desired this era of car are dying off!. Just maybe the kids of today won't want to tinker around with old uncomfortable carburettor cars. Opting for sportier jap coupes or later Falcon and Commodore performance cars with all the mod-cons. All I know is the more Late model performance cars that fall into the hands of young guys and get modified, flogged out or worse written off. The more scarce they will become.
Old 13-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #78
lownloud
Ford Junkie

Want to buy an investment car? I'd be looking for a mint low km early WRX Evo or GTR. Unfortunately in my mind and for Ford lovers the current crop of performance offerings probably won't ever bring mega bucks. They will be valuable, yes but historically it's the hero cars of the era that become collectible. Usually the car that had mass appeal to the younger generation of the time. When they become cashed up middle aged mid life crisis's crooning over days gone by they reach into their pockets and buy a piece of their youth or the dream car they all wanted (just like we are doing).
Don't get me wrong I love my Falcons and Territory, but my son who is 19 and drives a crazy turbo Forester, his heart is in the Forester and similar cars that are relevant to his generation. In 20 years time I can't see him or any of his friends stumping up big bucks for a Falcon. They will want cars relevant to them, not their parents.
Besides mine will still be in the shed....
Old 13-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #79
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The FGX's value or collectability factor is being determined and judged by many by what has happened in the past with earlier models.

As it stands, there is no point in even worrying about it now. The FGX's true value, and I don't really mean in a dollar form, will take decades to materialise, just like XY GT's ect are now. Those cars (and other notables over the years) have there point in history, FGX is THE LAST FALCON EVER.

I have to say I hate these threads! Round and round and round they go with the my car is better than yours because, because, because.........
I love for ALL FALCONS and FPV's, they will all be "collectable" one day as all notable and culturally important cars are. But I hate being told that my cars are worthless because they don't have the right badge or are the wrong model in the eyes of the experts. Both my Falcons hold great value to me, I had the privilege of ordering them from the factory new, I know them inside out and enjoy just knowing they are sitting in my garage waiting for the next drive.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
Old 13-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #80
Pilko FNQ

Bought the XR8 as it starts, has aircon, 5 star safety, uses lots or little fuel depending on the mood of the driver, great bang for buck and it goes like stink. Can't afford an old GT and the XR8 was my last chance to get a Ford V8 that no one else has flogged out. Will it be worth mega bucks in the future.......I could not really care less.
Old 13-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #81
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same same

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Old 13-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #82
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

G'day some good points in the main but if the GTHO 's compared to today's stuff is down it would mostly be due to that the performance world has moved a fair bit in 45 years.. In it's day the HO was king , in this regard not any more as you rightly say but neither would be too many other early 70's cars.

This however doesn't detract from the wonderful sounds they produce , the road presence they still command and the genuine rarity of the real deal ..
I remember this story a few years ago and I'm still gobsmacked by it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkHSm0gBZLc This really is a rare bird for sure. Then there's this little comparo between a XY GT and a FG GTF ..Interesting to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-XkfC5iZcg And then there's this one Someone tell me this doesn't float your boat as a Ford fan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n4K3oX-0Dg#t=30.193865 . Beautiful car by any measure..

Somehow I don't think the FGX or any other Falcon will get within a bulls roar of these asking prices or desirability ever.
Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 13-09-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 13-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #83
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Not all about performance. It's about history, styling, desirability, something that a modern Falcon lacks in bucket loads...
Styling and desirability are subjective measures.

It's probably blasphemous of me to say this, but if you gave me the choice of a GTHO III and an EB GT, I'd choose the EB every day of the week. I'm just not that into cars which are older than me. It's not from my era; I don't remember it tearing down the track growing up, so I don't feel the least bit nostalgic about it.

The EB, on the other hand ... I remember when it was brand spanking new. I remember reading about it in Wheels, hearing that it was only built in limited numbers and I barely see any genuine EB GTs around Perth.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
Old 13-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #84
STINKY NINJA
Banned

People don't often sell eb gts so they must be a great car,the car only has to feel collectable to the buyer and if you are happy with the price you paid then its all good.
When an eb/el gt is nearly 50 years old they may be worth heaps,who knows?
My favourite gts are the xr and eb/el,i personally don't class anything after el a real gt because they were not built in very limited numbers making them a regular old car imo.
Gts made in the 1000s are not rare.
I expect a lot of people to agree with me and not crack major sads lol
Old 13-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #85
SprintFg
Banned

My point is to grab a fgx whilst you can. It's not about future value, it's about owning a factory Ford forced induction falcon! A supercharged V8!! Or an I6T

In the past, if you missed out on a XY GT you buy an xa GT next year, if you missed out on an EB xr8 you can buy a ed xr8 the next year. Miss out on a bf xr6t, get a FG xr6t next year. but Miss out on a fgx xr6t/XR8/G6ET you won't be able to grab one next year. There is no tomorrow, no more evolution, no more I'll get one next year. The fgx is the best falcon will ever be, it has the exact same fpv supercharged V8 / i6t AND the fgx updates making it best of breed. Sure sync2 is no game changer but the fgx has everything else from fpv AND sync2.

Take a moment and think about it, ford are offering a factory forced induction turbo 6 AND Supercharged V8. An enthusiasts dream. But no more from october7.

Further, all the immaculate low km FPV supercharged V8s and fgx xr8s will be kept by their owners.(and i6t cars) They won't be trading them in anytime soon. You might find an end of lease battered car in years to come but for the top condition examples they will be weekend cars only. Owners just won't sell them....well maybe if someone over pays..

It's not about future values, it's about actually getting your hands on one of these brilliant machines. BUY NOW before they are gone.

Last edited by SprintFg; 13-09-2016 at 10:08 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #86
Trump
bitch lasagne

It's a shame the Sprint twins weren't offered in green, like this:

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
3 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #87
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Slightly off topic a little, but in the same vein...

I heard that the new $5 notes are now hitting the streets...Does this mean we should be keeping some old ones in the hope that they will be worth millions later or are we better off mothballing a couple of hundred new ones?

I'm so confused???

Last edited by Beastie; 13-09-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 13-09-2016, 11:10 PM   #88
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post

I heard that the new $5 notes are now hitting the streets...Does this mean we should be keeping some old ones in the hope that will be worth millions later or are we better off mothballing a couple of hundred new ones?

I'm so confused???
Mate, if you have a few spares hanging around, use them. You could be hit by a bus tomorrow
5 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2016, 11:16 PM   #89
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Life is too short to worry about the value of your car in 30 years time. Hell you will most probably be dead. Drive the thing. What a joke.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2016, 11:18 PM   #90
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post

I heard that the new $5 notes are now hitting the streets...Does this mean we should be keeping some old ones in the hope that will be worth millions later or are we better off mothballing a couple of hundred new ones?

I'm so confused???

Don't be confused......
I have a special edition 5 dollar coin and yes it's worth almost 6 times its stamped value.

It's worth more because it's a special commemorative coin.
Example below

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152171395015

It's kinda like special commemorative cars. They are worth more.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Closed Thread