Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #1
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default September 2017 Sales - Ford Ranger Number 1

http://www.caradvice.com.au/589132/f...-in-september/

Whilst some may not like these type of vehicles, you have to respect how Ford have gone from being a bit player in the dual cab pickup market to being a regular top seller, overtaking many longer established players.

Couple of interesting items -

Ranger "with 4318 monthly sales — 87 per cent of which were more expensive 4x4s versions."

"A significant proportion — often above 50 per cent — of Rangers sold are the higher-end XLT and Wildtrak models that retail from about $60k upwards."
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: September 2017 Sales - Ford Ranger Number 1

Massive profit margins for ford for crap box seperate chassis vehicles built in Asian country's.. several friends have them and the more I drive them the more I think they are crazy spending there money on cars that do nothing good but everything mediocre. Absurdly junk motor vehicles.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must cost ford no more than $10000 to produce one of these tractors.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #4
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every one has their own opinion I guess, but I love my Ranger! Living in rural nsw I can’t think of a better vechicle to suit my needs.
Well done Ford!!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:44 PM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Never happy, a Ford leading the sales chart and still people bag Ford.

Anyway, back on topic, good work Ford, hopefully these sales will get a few more into the showroom to see the other cars in the range. Just now concentrate on keeping the customers, get the after sales customer service up to standard.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
Massive profit margins for ford for crap box seperate chassis vehicles built in Asian country's.. several friends have them and the more I drive them the more I think they are crazy spending there money on cars that do nothing good but everything mediocre. Absurdly junk motor vehicles.
I owned an FG XR ute and also a XLT Ranger, cannot understand your statement of knocking the ranger unless you never owned or driven an FG. Believe me the Ranger is just good as the FG in quality build.

Do not underestimate these vehicles as the sales figures are proof of their success story.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-10-2017, 11:16 PM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

While the Ranger is going gangbusters they need to sort their small cars out. The range is a bit out of whack.

Holden have dropped like a stone. Only 40 sales off 6th place. Who would have thought that a couple of years ago.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 01:00 AM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Lol my Ranger is awesome...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great too see. .VW Amarok V6 2018 models have been upgraded to tow 3.5tonne. More competition in the market....
Old 05-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still think they should be making a Ranger Titanium. a Ranger with Plush interior and adjustable suspension.

Proofs in the Pudding. people are Buying Top end models. Amarok is selling well. and there's a Merc coming.

Something else that supports their sales is resale value, though I cant see this lasting forever, the 2nd hand market will soon fill up
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #11
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Lol my Ranger is awesome...
It is.

New ones Drive as well as many SUV's - I was surprised how good the ride was on a new Rap Cab XLT that I drove earlier this year, not really that much different to a coil rear end sprung Everest.

Awesome Vehicle is the Ranger.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #12
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I still think they should be making a Ranger Titanium. a Ranger with Plush interior and adjustable suspension.

Proofs in the Pudding. people are Buying Top end models. Amarok is selling well. and there's a Merc coming.

Something else that supports their sales is resale value, though I cant see this lasting forever, the 2nd hand market will soon fill up
They do, it's called Everest.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is the Everest sales ?
Old 05-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I'm sure they are upset that you, the person who doesn't own one, doesn't like it

Horse's for course's. The people have spoken, these are the type of vehicles they want. They may not buy what you would but it doesn't make them wrong. They are a jack of all trades that can be many different things to many different people. Something sedans aren't, as much as we love them they are useless for moving things, going camping in, going off road in, towing a big caravan in etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #15
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When would the last time Ford topped the sales charts in OZ? I’ll have a stab and say around 2002 with the BA Falcon.
I see Mustang sales are still strong also still up over 600 for the month. Now if Ford could sell the bread and butter cars like Focus and Mondeo they would be getting somewhere.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #16
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I'm sure they are upset that you, the person who doesn't own one, doesn't like it

Horse's for course's. The people have spoken, these are the type of vehicles they want. They may not buy what you would but it doesn't make them wrong. They are a jack of all trades that can be many different things to many different people. Something sedans aren't, as much as we love them they are useless for moving things, going camping in, going off road in, towing a big caravan in etc.
My company had 3 Rangers. The XLT auto had a driveline vibration that couldn’t be fixed, the XL 3.2 A6 blew up an inter cooler, inter cooler hose and the transmission was replaced 14k out of warranty (although Ford covered it under warranty), and the XL 3.2 M6 had a driveline vibration that couldn’t be repaired either. 2 of the three Rangers have been replaced with VO Transit Vans, the third was replaced with my 2012 LC 200 GX.

I wouldn’t buy a Ranger again.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #17
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

The Falcon car company is now the Ranger truck company.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
The Falcon car company is now the Ranger truck ute company.
Fixed.

Sorry, but I still don't think that a ute on steroids is a truck, despite what the Seppo's call them.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #19
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
They do, it's called Everest.
Last time I looked Everest was a wagon, not a ute.

To make a "Titanium" Ranger would be a parts bin job using a lot of Everest parts. I'd be keen on a unit like that. I'm not into the blacked out stuff that is Wildtrack, I like the look of the XLT more.

If they put a 5.0 in it i'd pay my deposit now. Put the 3.2 in a tractor.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #20
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What other junk vehicle do you suggest that will tow my 3.1 ton caravan .
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 08:55 PM   #21
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What do they do that’s mediocre? They can tow quite well, they can handle a load, they can seat 5 in reseonable comfort, and they get you from A to B with decent fuel economy for a Ute. What’s the problem?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 09:05 PM   #22
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ranger is doing spectacularly well, and it probably has not even reached its full potential. Raptor will do well and a Titanium with LED headlights, sunroof, remote tailgate etc would be great.

I think the XLS could really take off if they adjusted it a bit. It's a bit base model looking at the moment. Keep the same interior but make it more sporty outside. Sell em for 45k all day to loads of young blokes
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #23
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sorry, they do fix a purpose. A sedan based ute will not be good on the farm I agree. I'm directly comparing the falcon to the ranger and I agree that should not be a comparison. I have owned 5 fg falcons and currently own a xr8 5.4 fg and a fg x turbo ute. My father owns a ranger, a friend owns one and a relative drives a ranger for work.
I cannot change market trends or peoples opinions but after driving three rangers and a navara, and hilux all less than 3 years old I can honestly say that these people have rocks in their head when they tell me about how good the ranger is.
This is my opinion. Most people use there rangers 99 percent of the time the same as I use my falcons. these vehicles are a trend. Most are bought them to keep up with the joneses. Some people genuinely need a truck as they tow all day or need the payload on the back. They need it. But how is this type of vehicle the best selling vehicle in Australia I don't know why.
Sorry for being so negative. But those people driving rangers for the last 3 or 4 years should take a falcon for a drive for 5 minutes and they just might know where I coming from. In the last 5 years has everybody become a tradie or bought a 3.1 tonne caravan???
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #24
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope the ranger does well. But I just cannot understand why??
Old 05-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #25
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rangers and their ilk have just become the modern day Commodore or Falcon. Aussie cars used to be seen as tough, good for towing, plenty of ground clearance and the best way to cross this beautiful continent. While the Aussie cars can still do these things to an extent, the young marketing grads decided that Aussie cars should be sold as sports cars to fling around a mountain backroad.

Growing up you would have advertising showing Falcons crossing creeks, towing caravans and exploring the country.... sounds like a Ranger ad?

It got to a point where I had a young relative worry about borrowing my Falcon to tow a 400kg trailer, the population after a while simply had no idea. Designers didn't help by pushing away people with such low ride height that people in a Corolla sit above you in traffic.

So really the market is simply buying the type of car it always has, it's really that Commodore and Falcon had moved on.

Last edited by Brazen; 05-10-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #26
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Rangers and their ilk have just become the modern day Commodore or Falcon. Aussie cars used to be seen as tough, good for towing, plenty of ground clearance and the best way to cross this beautiful continent. While the Aussie cars can still do these things to an extent, the young marketing grads decided that Aussie cars should be sold as sports cars to fling around a mountain backroad.

Growing up you would have advertising showing Falcons crossing creeks, towing caravans and exploring the country.... sounds like a Ranger ad?

It got to a point where I had a young relative worry about borrowing my Falcon to tow a 400kg trailer, the population after a while simply had no idea. Designers didn't help by pushing away people with such low ride height that people in a Corolla sit above you in traffic.

So really the market is simply buying the type of car it always has, it's really that Commodore and Falcon had moved on.
Really good post!

The Falcon / Holden was always a jack of all trades, and in some ways, a master of none like the Ranger ect. A family car, a delivery van, a luxury car, a performance car, a tradies workhorse................... all at an affordable price.

And as you said, as the Falcon and Commodore morphed into a sport sedans, buyers simply migrated to a vehicle that could be used like Falcons and Commodores used to be like.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #27
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do you need one???

Last edited by boss351290; 04-04-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #28
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To tow someone said
Old 05-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #29
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Why do I own a Ranger? I need a ute and I need 4+ seats. Simple. I don't often need the 3.5T towing or the 4x4 or the ground clearance or the 1T payload but at various points in time all of those factors come in quite handy.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 03:16 AM   #30
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Kudos to Ford, it seems Aussie's don't mind paying premium for something cheaply manufactured in the third world. All power to Ford, their balance sheet must be very healthy...
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: