Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #31
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Default Re: "Im not paying $65k for a Ford!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I mentioned this in another thread, somewhere along the line it became uncool to buy a "luxury" local car.

My mum did the same thing, I told her to get a G6E, but no, she gets a new C220. Yeah it looks nice etc, is it worth the $70k (once optioned)...hell no.

I remember as a kid, growing up in the 90's, everyone who had a company car had a falcon or commy, usually a berlina or fairmont and then statesman/fairlanes for higher up. This doesnt seem to happen that much anymore.
Mercedes-Benz products are simply (from my experience at least) not fun to drive, and their build quality ranges from poor to deplorable.
Old 28-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #32
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

you seem to have a lot of mates who are constantly shopping for cars. And every time they're not into getting a Ford.
Old 28-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #33
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like he is going through a mid life crisis and only wants a luxury car to make himself feel better and look cool to everyone else. I'd say a FPV GT is better off without him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
you seem to have a lot of mates who are constantly shopping for cars. And every time they're not into getting a Ford.
Agreed
Old 28-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #34
RAPID_BA
Banned

The title is verbatum what come out of his mouth. I might actually take him for a test drive over at FPV.. See if he is a swinger.

Years back I let him take my XR6T for a spin, atr the time it had 322rwkw. Just cruising around off boost he didnt think much of it.

Then he took it out on a open road and put ther boot in, I warned him not to boot it around other cars, it comes on boost, frys the tyres, changes lanes unintentionally and slingshots us down the road. As it was flying to quote his words again....ohhhhh this is ridiculous.

Maybe a new FPV might get him. His wife would probably kick him home if he comes back with a FPV over a BMW
Old 28-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #35
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Yeah.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
Old 28-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #36
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Can you buy a 335 GT-E? I'm not sure, but that would be a sweet ride!
Old 28-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #37
thomasj
Starter Motor

A 135i is the only european performance car i'd consider up in that price bracket.

That and a Focus RS. Christ those things look mental.
Old 28-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #38
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasj
A 135i is the only european performance car i'd consider up in that price bracket.

That and a Focus RS. Christ those things look mental.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 28-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #39
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
And? What can I do about it, I tell them and the thread title is the response I get.

If I were in a position to buy a car for $65k I would buy the fpv GT, personally its my choice. Many discount it as an optiion due to price and brand hierachy.
Old 28-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #40
Thornie
Off smelting

I'd pay 65k for a brand new 12 sec car. but thats me
Old 28-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #41
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Without turning this into an “is a Ford worth 65K” argument I will comment on the euro cars in that price bracket.

When it comes to Brand New euro cars 65K unfortunately does not get you much in this country, your friend would want to spend up a little bit more before he gets all the good stuff

BMW: you can get a 125, but what your really want is the 135 which is about 75K, now the 135 is an awesome car and most definitely worth saving for.
Merc: there is really nothing exiting in that price bracket.
Audi: there is really nothing exiting in that price bracket.
VW: the Golf R comes to mind, or the new V6 Passat - both are great cars by the way and would be my euro pick for under 65K

As for Japanese stuff you get the 370Z which is ok but I don’t see its purpose, the WRX STI or EVO X which both are perfect for slaughtering HSV/FVPs at the track – especially with some mods on but they are cars for people who want a track car more than anything else … you can look at the Lexus but you need to spend up before you get the IS350 which would be my pick in the Lexus range, the IS250 is boredom …

FPV or HSV, well personally I would only buy them if you have access to awesome Fleet deals which give you like a 25% discount when buying these cars new … otherwise you are in for some serious depreciation loss, far far more than say an equivalently priced VW.

My personal recommendation to you would be to consider buying privately a second hand 2 year old euro car, this way you can save heaps on depreciation, and still get an awesome car … for 65K you could look into second hand 335i bemmers for example which are excellent cars from both luxury and performance perspectives … OR a suggestion that my mate previously said is buy a diesel Golf all optioned for like 35K – 40K as a daily driver (you get luxury, brand recognition, basic prestige, comfort, and economy) and a worked EVO 9 with semi slicks for weekend track car (about 30K – 40K), that’s super car performance for real bargain …this way you get the best of both
Old 28-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #42
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Funnily enough we always have to endure the trials and tribulations of the stories too..
Old 28-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #43
DK30RB

Why not look at Volvo. Dont laugh.

Take a look at the Volvo S60 or V60 wagon. T6 AWD. 3 litre 6 cyl, Turbo, with all wheel drive. 224kw with 440nm torque.

Comes with all premium options included, 12 speaker dolby sound, sat nav, etc.

RRP driveaway $78, i just bought one brand new for $66k

While its not as fast as the XR6T i had in a straight line, it leaves it for dead in every other aspect.

Your mate is right. My new XR6T fully loaded for $46k 2 years ago was a great deal but would i pay 65k for an FPV, definately not. I don't think its 20k better than a turbo, and for that money, get the Euro.

Forgot to mention - volvo is also offering 5 year unlimited k warranty, 5 years free scheduled servicing, and 5 years road side assist. Dealer put another 3 on top of that, so its 8, 8 ,8.....

Last edited by DK30RB; 28-09-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 28-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #44
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
A mate of mine called me up saying he was going out to look for cars. He knows I love cars and it was a good chance to catch up anyhow.

He said he has about $65k to spend..

He said at this price looking at a euro car, its really a compromise between luxury and performance. At first I suggested the BMW 3 series, apparently their is a turbo diesel model that goes ok for about that price range. He immediately agreed and said he test drove it last weekend..

We started throwing about different models and makes and then I suggested, what about one of those new FPV supercharged GT's?

HE scoffed at the thought and said "Im not paying $65k for a ford". Why would you want to drive a ford when you can get into a BMW or lexus or Audi for the same price. Yes it might not have the same performance but its about quality. In a few years time, the BMW will be highly regarding and hold much of its price where the Ford will be ready for the scrap heap.

He sort of made a point. I love the FPV GT, supercharged car, it ticks all of my boxes but I had to ask myself Would I want to spend $65k on a Ford?

Not just ford he scoffed at the idea of paying $65k for a subaru, ford, holden, mazda, Mitsubishi etc etc. Kep going to the point, but you can step into a BMW or a Merc? Why would you want the cheaper make?

What are your thoughts. Im thinking Ford sales although a sparkling product have this perception that people want more of a brand name for their $65k
cool , let him pay his 65k for his base model BMW LEXUS OR AUDI . and all the $$$$$ in maintenance that goes with it , and he can park his car next to the SC GT at the traffic lights and watch everyone drool at the GT ,wishing they had one. I SEE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT , everybody is happy , ( especially the service manager ) at the EURO DEALERSHIP.
Old 28-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #45
IDT
Marko

Sounds like one of those poms that migrates here and then winges about the place. I wouldn't buy euro on principle. Our dollar has gone up a shed load by comparison to the euro. Has the price on new cars dropped. Nope! resale on them is no better as a percentage of price paid then anything else
Old 28-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #46
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
cool , let him pay his 65k for his base model BMW LEXUS OR AUDI . and all the $$$$$ in maintenance that goes with it , and he can park his car next to the SC GT at the traffic lights and watch everyone drool at the GT ,wishing they had one. I SEE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT , everybody is happy , ( especially the service manager ) at the EURO DEALERSHIP.
Not sure about 'Drool', most people will see it as just another tarted up falcon. You and i can apreciate it for what it is, but most people wouldn't have a clue.

On the other hand, sit in a BMW, MERC, AUDI etc, even if it is the base model, most people won't know and will think its a really expensive car and will probably want one over the FPV.
Old 28-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #47
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
Funnily enough we always have to endure the trials and tribulations of the stories too..
hehe....wish they'd both buy a olden and annoy ls1.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 28-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #48
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
Quote:
We are hearing it too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
A mate of mine called me up saying he was going out to look for cars. He knows I love cars and it was a good chance to catch up anyhow.

What are your thoughts. Im thinking Ford sales although a sparkling product have this perception that people want more of a brand name for their $65k
I would ask your mate post up a thread, as he is buying the car he has the $65k and is looking for the advice about a Ford..?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 28-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #49
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't blame him, why spend so much on something that is gonna be worth bugger all in a few years? Euros and Jap cars hold their value much better than a Ford ever will. Not to mention the far superior build quality on the Jap cars.