Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
boxo
fit 'n' turn

Default "I was just going around the corner slowly when for no reason the car went sideways"

: Ever heard these words from someone whos just sidswiped/crashed their car?
Me too. And what do think straight away...? Man thats bullshit, and i know cause it was bullshit when i said it after going too fast into a corner and then stomping the gas.
Has anyone here ever gone around a corner either dry or wet
"JUST NORMAL LIKE" and had this happen?? Be honest!
Cheers
Box

Old 20-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Yeah I was going around a roundabout normally when for no reason my rear end slid out. Lucky I do play around abit so I was able to put her back straight. So I turned around and went back. On the way back I notice another car loose it. When we parked and had a look there was a sh#t load of oil down and it wasn't old oil either. So I rung the cops to tell them so they could get somebody out to clean it up. I stayed to warn other motorist until a copper got there. While I was there I was looking around to see if there was any towies around or kids because somebody put the oil there. There was to much and it was clean but couldn't see anyone. :
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is a round a bout near where i live, and dead set if you approach it from a certain direction, as you turn right, the road falls away from you and if its wet and you're doing ANYTHING over 15km/h, you're gonna slide. just depends if you're waiting and expecting it or not as to whether you meet the gutter or continue on your way
Old 20-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

where i used to live, there was a certian roundabout that seemed to have oil or diesel on it. i entered it at about 10 kph and completley off throttle in the old XF pos, did 2 laps with full opposite lock.

the old biddys thought i was playing
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

yes, i have had this happen to me........ i had my old xf ute still, not the heaviest unit over the back wheels.... i was turning into a road frequented by trucks.....was a right hand turn, when all hell broke loose........the tail kicked wildly then the front slid and i ended up in a gutter, it put a nice old bend in the drag link too.... i was thinking WTF, i wasnt that fast, so got out and checked the road....a truck must have spilled some diesel or something because it even felt slick underfoot..

was just a case of the road being VERY slick, i guess if you know about it, you could have taken it a bit slower, but to go around at the usual speed, not suspecting something like that, it gets your attention....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
paul_r_d

honestly.....i have never slid out "normally". Only in the wet, showing off :P
paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

The other night it had rained, but the roads had dried a little, came off a big round-a-bout in a 100 zone and gave it some berries (VLT next to me =P) Anyway, came around a fairly large radius bend still accelerating, then at about 80kph the rear end just stepped out. Scared the crap out of me.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
Angeldust

happen to me once in my torana many years ago.

it was wet, and i went slowly around a certain corner at about 30kph, and without touching the breaks or accelerator, the car spun out and did a 180..( the corner is a 90" bend on a downhil though ).

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

Was driving an '00 Astra 1.8 CD, 5sp manual with ABS and T/C... anyway, rainy, turning right on a near 90 degree bend, two lane quiet road, 50 zone. Downhill. Brake on approach, slow to just under 20ish km/h for the bend... and then the strangest thing happens... the ABS goes nuts just as I'm letting off the brake pedal, LOCKS the rear brakes as if I pulled the handbrake, but doesn't lock the fronts, so I still have full steering. At this point my nose has turned the corner properly, but the rear keeps on going... and slides out and stops. So here I am sitting facing almost where I came from on a two lane road in the rain after the car decided to lock its brakes up by itself (or the ABS decided not to work?) going wtf and

Never happened to me in any other ABS equipped car I've ever driven.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #10
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was driving the old mussy to a show when i noticed a fire truck up ahead with lights blazing on a deserted 3 lane road. As i got closer i started to fishtail just slightly and came to an almost complete stop the firies were putting a sand type compund on the road and there was oil everywhere. It covered the entire 3 lanes for about 50 meters. It was just lucky it was early on a sunday and there was not other cars.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #11
CFOUR
The Destroyer

I was driving in a straight line on the highway with my cruise control on (in the wet) i hit a patch of oil or something and the cruise control just gunned it car went sideways at 120. I mannaged to gather it up but now refuse to use my cruise control in the wet
Old 20-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #12
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

On my FPV drive day at Mallala when i still had my GT, i had been doing a couple of laps and i decided to turn the traction control off, i came out of the top chicane onto the start finish straight same amount of throttle as every other corner on the track and out came the rear end i bought it back but a little to much then it came back even more the other way and there was the concrete wall on the inside of the track looking straight at me, it was a very ugly moment and my pooper valve was working overtime, i was very lucky that day. i had heaps of fun on the skid pan though.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
Kil4Collingwood

Round about down the road from me at the bottom of a hill and a BP servo on one of the corners as you go up the hill, when the trucks come to deliver the fuel, any overflow is washed out by the rain into the round about.
Corner of Broadway and Bouldrewood pde in Reservoir for those that know it.
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
boxo
fit 'n' turn

Yep oil will do it every time. Kinda like driving on hail stones.
Roundabouts seem to be the biggest culprit.
Old 20-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #15
eXi7w0unD

yea i hate round a bouts :( i avoid all of them, iv had 2 accidents on them. my only accidents too, damn p platers hitting me is what.

never slid on a roundbout though
Old 20-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #16
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

yeah i nearly lost my XC doing 20k's through a roundabout in the wet (just going straight through, not turning left or right), it just aquaplaned ans scared the living shiit out of me! wasn't doing anything stupid as it was one of the first times i drove in the wet in the XC.
that particular roundabout has cost a few of my mates a couple of weeks and up to months pay.. but i had no idea how bad it was until i went though it with the XC... i worked out you have to use the back end to steer out of the slide, throttle control and smooth yet quick steering adjustments is the only way to do it.
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #17
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

It happens quite a lot actually when I'm due for new tyres.

Overtaking-back slides out
Roundabout-Have to go round twice because the backs out
Braking for corner-back slides out
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #18
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i enjoy pushing it so this happerns
but as others have said i to have had it happen when not expecting it , at an intersection and wasnt pushing it had been dry for a while and had rained just recently and as i went around the back just stepped out (i so wanted to ge back and do it again but abit faster)

but on a different but simular note
a freind of the family has his 24 year old daughter (few years back) smack up one of his cars (fairly bad but not writen off) she aparently hit a heavy box that blew across the road : yep

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #19
bob^
LPS

I did a u-turn in the wet somewhere in Ringwood near JB.
One minute I was turning, the next minute I was facing the wrong way on the road. The car spun, without me hardly touching the accelerator.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #20
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kil4Collingwood
Round about down the road from me at the bottom of a hill and a BP servo on one of the corners as you go up the hill, when the trucks come to deliver the fuel, any overflow is washed out by the rain into the round about.
hehe thats still pretty grippy in the wet, i find. the most slippery road surface i have come across are on the corner of plenty road an mckimmies road(doing a left onto it)millpark, and on plenty road, just past childs road, heading towards southmorang.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kil4Collingwood

lol, that roundabout is a joke in general, i've seen that many accidents there (as long as you know how to control your car you should be fine )

There's a spot on a big main rd where I do u-turns quite regularly and when it rains it is quite slippery. One day I go to do a u-turn and took off in second gear at half throttle (car was running on gas) and it still managed to kick on me.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #22
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

I sort of had it happen once in my old 85 Telstar. It was wet and I was going around a roundabout and the back end slid out. I wasn't going fast. If I was I would of had understeer not oversteer. Scared the hell out of me.
Old 20-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #23
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

down the street from my friends house, normal but small 2 lane road, turn right off it at a right angle, its dead flat.. but in the wet its like Ice, i think its just the bitchumen(spelling) but every time ive been around it in the wet(not even pouring, just damp) and even if im doing 10km's or 20 and rolling the back just steps out when i apply a small amount of throttle to get around
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #24
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
there is a round a bout near where i live, and dead set if you approach it from a certain direction, as you turn right, the road falls away from you and if its wet and you're doing ANYTHING over 15km/h, you're gonna slide. just depends if you're waiting and expecting it or not as to whether you meet the gutter or continue on your way
i have one almost exactly the same.... even the best tyres in the world couldnt save you...

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #25
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxo
Ever heard these words from someone whos just sidswiped/crashed their car?
Sure, just ask Photn.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=109595
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #26
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dad was telling me how it was wet and he was driving home from work in his 03' Mazda 323, he went to turn the roundabout and rather than gripping and taking it normally, it just slid around it and he was like "oooooooookay". (He had bald tyers haha). It wasn't completely sideways, but it slid.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #27
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah. Pacific Hwy just north of Port Maquarie. The road might have been upgraded since then but at that stage it was one lane each way. 100 km zone and I was close to it. I had just passed a truck and came into a sweeping right-hander. There had been rain but I wouldn't say the road was particularly wet. I had accommodated for possible moisture on the road and approached the corner a bit gentler than I normally would. Back let go. I drifted sideways off the road into a big graveled area where there was an entrance to a farm's driveway. I had correction in and slid sideways but when I saw trees approaching I purposely swung it around a bit more to go into them backwards. Then the car pulled up. Stopped, clutch in, engine still running and I drove back onto the road. At that stage I thought I "should" be stressed out a bit so I stopped just to get stressed out. Weird how that happens. Things go in slow motion and then a reaction comes in later.

With the road conditions I could only put it down to oil on the road and that little bit of moisture. Although, I did change a lower trailing arm (there was a kink in it since I had bought the car but wasn't sure if it was enough to effect the alignment) and had an alignment done.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 02:55 AM   #28
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

my EF Fairmont steps out occasionally for no reason,even with new tyres on it.

my wife wont even drive it in the rain now as it scares the out of her when it does it.
Old 21-01-2008, 03:04 AM   #29
BigCav
OzFalcon.com.au

iv had it happen once, kind of inexperiance as id jsut gotn my licence but i definatly wasnt hooning

dirt road and the limt was 80, was onyl doing 60 late one night as i knew an unlaoded xf panel van would be dangerous but i still looped it when i unexpectantly came up to a sharp corner
BigCav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 03:17 AM   #30
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxo
: Ever heard these words from someone whos just sidswiped/crashed their car?
Me too. And what do think straight away...? Man thats bullshit, and i know cause it was bullshit when i said it after going too fast into a corner and then stomping the gas.
Has anyone here ever gone around a corner either dry or wet
"JUST NORMAL LIKE" and had this happen?? Be honest!
Cheers
Box
Yeah my back has swung out when driving normally well actually a lot more careful. I drive extremely careful in the wet.