Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #31
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "Police told to turn blind eye to minor offences as payout dispute ramps up""

I think they do a great job! poor mister policeman puts his life on the line to keep the public safe, for what I would call not much, but when he gets hurt in the line of duty he is supose to get stuff all !

I support you boys! & no I`m not a cop either,Just a person who is sick of big buisnesses ripping off the little man! while the fatcat CEO makes millions!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #32
jrfttf
Getting By!?

Default Re: "Police told to turn blind eye to minor offences as payout dispute ramps up""

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
And it worked for VicPol, a very healthy pay increase indeed.
Yes from what i heard it was a quite healthy one, don't remember the exact amount, but i remember thinking to myself "**** they got it"
jrfttf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #33
gtfpv
GT

i back the police all the way , they are workers just like mainstream society , and main stream society is being attacked with work conditions and entitlement losses , whilst executives and share holders are making record profits just for taking things off mainstream society .
teachers ,police, public servants, bus drivers, aircraft workers, and soon to be many others will shortly be on strike , as most people are in an eba year , and EBA's have long expired , the corporate world and govts are pushing for a mainstream revolution , middle management are quietly supporting this too , as they have been stripped of all there rights and entitlements with no course of justice . the rich society who does nothing to make there own money , and uses everyone elses are asking for a revolution , and its coming , you only have to turn on the tv , and watch the news so many industries are shutting up shop , or stripping australians into low class welfare .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #34
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
Interesting police get 400,000 pay out for injurys regular jo blow gets 20grand if hes lucky
Thats for death or disability. Here in WA Police dont get workers comp. So if I was permanently injured on the job I would want more than 400k to last me the rest of my wheel chair life.
I very much doubt that the average worker would only get 20k for a permanent disability, plus they get workers comp and insurance.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #35
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is this the ordinary TPD and death cover in your super or entirely separate that we are talking about?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #36
gtfpv
GT

we must remember here the chances of something happening to an ambo or police officer over the course of ones working life are quite high , with the daily situations that they come across , think about it . the stress alone is astonishing . no politician sitting in an arm chair should even think about cutting any entitlements for such employees , infact they should be on the same as the bludgiest back bencher atleast .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 02:57 AM   #37
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
I very much doubt that the average worker would only get 20k for a permanent disability, plus they get workers comp and insurance.
IIRC, in NSW we have capped payouts for specific injuries. One former employee, injured at his previous job, got $10-20k for being blinded in one eye.

On the one hand, that seems manifestly inadequate. But then again, there are things such as TPD and income protection if you're really serious about providing for your family in the event of serious injury.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 04:13 AM   #38
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
IIRC, in NSW we have capped payouts for specific injuries. One former employee, injured at his previous job, got $10-20k for being blinded in one eye.

On the one hand, that seems manifestly inadequate. But then again, there are things such as TPD and income protection if you're really serious about providing for your family in the event of serious injury.
Most states have capped payouts. And it got worse when insurance companies a few years ago pulled the wool over the publics eye re: public liability too. Its also true for motor vehicle accidents too. Strangely, the public demanded that tort reform despite the best advice not to fall for it.

In your example, youre comparing apples and oranges. In the example you used, it was an eye that was lost, while the article states on average police officers receive $400k. Maybe they do get $400k for an eye or a leg, I dont know but there is no evidence that suggests the two examples are comparable. There is no indication what the injuries were that averaged $400k. However, as part of compensation claims the loss of the eye is not the only consideration, its what goes with the event that caused it too for example.

For example. A guy in a workshop might lose an eye to a chunk of grinder disc, and as bad as that is, its not the same as being held at gun point and having your eye taken out with a pen by some maniacal criminal. Yes I just made that example up, but it illustrates why someone might receive more for the same injury than someone else. Essentially, only the eye is much the same, the rest is very different and compensation is awarded on more than the obvious.

Add into that that part of that arrangement will likely have been at some time an agreement in exchange for wage rises or some such. They do an often thankless job, and the wages IMO arent that great, the risks quite high, and they are entitled to some degree of protection for themselves and their families financial security if the worst should happen.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #39
BAXR8_Ute

I believe the $400k is for someone who is injured so badly, be it physical or psychological, that they can no longer work as a police officer. It needs to provide for their family, medical bills and also the officer will have to re train themselves for another line of work. If they are capable of working.

If it was being rorted so much, why did the commissioner keep signing off on the dodgy claims? This is the same commissioner who is now backing the government! Plus the officers were assessed by independent doctors appointed by the nswpf in order to avoid the scammers. I read in another article over the past 3 years 700 officers were deemed medically unfit for duty and received payouts of varying degrees. Of this 700, only 2% have since found full-time work. Oh, they werent all at retirement age either, the average age was 40.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:48 AM   #40
Incontro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Comparing US wages to Australian wages, that'll work really well....

I'd go into why you just can't compare the two, but I can't be bothered and I'm sure flappist will be along soon enough and he'll do a better job of it anyway.
I don't know what you have against comparing them.

But you still think living off $25,000 in New York is possible?
Incontro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #41
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$400,000 would be in line with a death or serious disablement under work cover. I don't see why police should get less than anyone else.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #42
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfttf
Had a similar thing in victoria couple weeks back, police were only issuing warnings, saw a bloke get dicked on a bike, could have raped him hard but sent him on his way with a caution, he was let off for too high powered bike on his l's, excess speed by x amount, hoon legislation for popping his front wheel up. Very lucky bloke to be let off for all the above!
...and not too long ago this kind of stuff would routinely be let off with a caution as well.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #43
fg_nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
We are talking about the health and safety of the people that protect you everyday. Let's treat the subject with some seriousness and respect thanks.
Agreed however it seems our politicians line their own pockets with self signed Payrises , super and perks yet the front line staff get droppings. That blue line is quiet thin.
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #44
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't worry, over the weekend they were handing out fines for trivial vehicle infringements.
I know someone who got fined for driving a company car that was registered but it's rego sticker was a day or 2 out of date due to slow mail.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #45
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Don't worry, over the weekend they were handing out fines for trivial vehicle infringements.
I know someone who got fined for driving a company car that was registered but it's rego sticker was a day or 2 out of date due to slow mail.
To be fair, that's not a trivial matter.. if they have an accident it is bad news.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #46
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The big issue here is cops that are claiming TPI for "stress" relate conditions and trivial medical conditions.

We talk about the extreme cases where it is 100% appropriate but it is the bad apples that get PTS after a bad guy resists arrest or they have re-occurring back issues after falling from a fence. Stuff that is hard to disprove and doesnt stop you going surfing every second day.
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #47
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
To be fair, that's not a trivial matter.. if they have an accident it is bad news.
Given the fact the rego and insurance was paid but it was lacking a new sticker, it seams pretty trivial since some states don't even have rego stickers anymore.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #48
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
IF the car isnt registered, which can easily be checked by the police officer. So in effect, it must be a fine for subjecting the police to the inconvenience of checking.

But... now you pay your rego online, so there is no proof on the sticker that its valid/current, so the police have to check regardless.

So what is the fine for... ?

As a taxpayer, I question the committing of not insignificant sums towards new tech that makes it quicker and easier for police to quickly determine the rego status of a car (via camera/character recognition etc), yet I'm still required to persist with the antiquated notion of a sticker?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #49
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree that they deserve far more than they will ever get, and approve of them getting more considering it is their life they are risking to do their jobs, but so do security guards, and they do so for a pathetic hourly rate, its more $p/h to do nightfill @ a supermarket for example, Police aren't the only ones getting treated like fertilizer, yet they are the only ones that we seem to hear or care about because they have the ability to mess with the Govts' revenue schemes. IMHO all emergency services personnel police fire ambulance and security are deserving of more pay for their dangerous jobs, of these four there is only one group that is powerless to fight for better pay and conditions. Security personnel are getting smashed in terms of wages and conditions, and places cannot figure why the workforce is drying up

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #50
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Given the fact the rego and insurance was paid but it was lacking a new sticker, it seams pretty trivial since some states don't even have rego stickers anymore.
ah my mistake. I read it as the rego hadn't been paid at all.. My bad
Old 08-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #51
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
I agree that they deserve far more than they will ever get, and approve of them getting more considering it is their life they are risking to do their jobs, but so do security guards, and they do so for a pathetic hourly rate, its more $p/h to do nightfill @ a supermarket for example, Police aren't the only ones getting treated like fertilizer, yet they are the only ones that we seem to hear or care about because they have the ability to mess with the Govts' revenue schemes. IMHO all emergency services personnel police fire ambulance and security are deserving of more pay for their dangerous jobs, of these four there is only one group that is powerless to fight for better pay and conditions. Security personnel are getting smashed in terms of wages and conditions, and places cannot figure why the workforce is drying up

Security can run away and hide where necessary. It is not like they are killed at the rate police are, and police are not killed at the rate of construction workers. Horses for courses.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post