Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2005, 10:57 AM   #31
BJ
Banned

People it's alwrite going by what they said it will only affect Geelong anway, because thats were the idea came from in the first place. So my plan is just fence of Geelog and keep them all down there.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2005, 11:25 AM   #32
KELDO_XR8

Yes, lock us in, for sure. were all bad, a bunch of ferals that cant drive and are all irresponsible idiots. It must just be geelong for sure.

There is idiots everywhere it just happens that the one idiot who thought up H plates happened to come from geelong. Its the worst idea since driving with your seat laid right back.

Can someone explain what a H plate is actually ment to do? How is that going to make the road safer?

The current affairs program that ran that show had so many statistics showing how over represented young people are in fatalities on our roads, yet we continue to spit out drivers who's biggest fear is if they can reverse park properly in their test. If young people are killing themselves, its about time we tought them how to stay alive.
KELDO_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #33
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELDO_XR8
If young people are killing themselves, its about time we tought them how to stay alive.
Ok good point, can i ask you this, if there were programs avaliable for young people what would you like to see ? and my Q is in a positive light, as i see it if were going to help the first thing we must do is listen to the voice of the younger driver and ask you what your thoughts are.

I'll start with a few idea's that might or might not be useful.

Free driver training courses for anyone under 25
Free or compensated car repairs for anyone under 25 ( that needs a hand due to curcumstances ) for example new tryes etc. making thier car safer.

But for young people to make a differance you must give your points of view in a sensible and honest way to move forward, there are people who will listen and you never know something could be done to help in a real way.

and i put forward instead of a Hoon Plate a A sticker which would indicate this driver has passed Advanced driver training placing the focus on people doing the right things ( positive ) rather than the negativity of the Hoon plate.

Last edited by DOC; 23-07-2005 at 11:46 AM.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #34
KELDO_XR8

Driver training, in my opinon would be the single best thing for young people. I know when i got my lisence, the biggest thing that everyone worried about was making sure they didnt screw up their parking!

Most kids who get their p's have never experienced a slide or had to do emergency braking. Kids think cause they get a good score on an INCREDIBLY easy test that hey are the best thing out there.

i like the idea of positive reinforcement, an A plate could be a good thing, however cheaper insurance or rego would really act as reinforcement for undertaking a defensive driver course.

Maybe the government could offer discounted rego the next year for someone who has undertaken defensive driving?

Im looking into doing a defensive driving course, maybe the other p-platers on this forum could get together? maybe get group discount?
Old 23-07-2005, 11:54 AM   #35
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i like the idea of positive reinforcement, an A plate could be a good thing, however cheaper insurance or rego would really act as reinforcement for undertaking a defensive driver course.

Maybe the government could offer discounted rego the next year for someone who has undertaken defensive driving?

Im looking into doing a defensive driving course, maybe the other p-platers on this forum could get together? maybe get group discount?

Thers a good start

Pass driver training = A plate = discount insurance

perhaps the A plate could get you all sorts of discounts ie tyres / tunes etc it could work a great idea

any more
Old 23-07-2005, 12:06 PM   #36
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
Hey, this isn’t such a bad idea if you really think about it.
If they’re going to have hoon plates they may as well have plates for all sorts of drivers, so us normal people can identify them with less risk.
Lets say we start a list:

Plate...................Car type.......................Warning

1)Imbecile............Camry drivers............... Total knob head
2)Indecisive..........Any......................... ...Changes lanes without thought
3)Inept................Any(Camry)................. .Just plain stupid
4)Clumsy..............Any(Camry).................. Kills motorcyclists
5)Yobbo...............Holden - Ford................Likes beer - Cricket
6)Horny................Any........................ .....Looking for scrubbers
7)Broke................Any........................ .....Looking for cheap scrubbers
8)Divorced............Any......................... ....Looking for cheap lawyer
9)Drunk................Any........................ .....Looking for more beer
10)Stoned............Any.......................... ....Looking for fix
11)Senile.............Any(Camry).................. .Silly old bugger
12)Ricer...............Any (Ricer)....................Car to fast for street use
13)Narcissistic.......Any......................... ....To busy looking at mirror
14)Drifter..............Ricer..................... .......Looking for a crash
15)Towie..............Tow truck......................Looking for Ricer / Narcissistic
16)Rich.................Any (expensive).............Road rules don’t apply to me
17)Vizard...............CLK Merc......................Immune from prosecution
18)Revhead............Any (Hot).....................When the green light drops….
Just to add a few more to the list....

19)Old Fart..........................Something with golf clubs in boot.....................Does 45 in 70 zone.
20)Rude Frustrating *****.......Sh!tbox.................Blocks Right Lane on HWY and does below speed limit
21)Slow Bastards.................Any (Sh!tbox)...............Takes 10 seconds to move from GRN Light...

Im sorry, but if there is gonna be a plate for Hoons, there should be a plate for old farts, slow drivers and rude pricks.

It is as easy to dob in a rude ***** as it is to dob in a hoon.
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2005, 12:20 PM   #37
KELDO_XR8

As much as an a plate getting you discounts on goods and services would be fantastic, i cant really see it becoming a reality. It would involve cooperation from hundreds of private buisnesses, although it would have to start somewhere. What people need to do is get together. Imagine if EVERY p-plater on this forum went and did a driver enducation course then went insurance shopping? Then imagine if every p plater got a mate in on the act. Together we could actually carry some weight. Strt a pettition or something?

Any idea's?

The least they could do is make the test harder.
Old 23-07-2005, 12:43 PM   #38
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Quote:

Most kids who get their p's have never experienced a slide or had to do emergency braking. Kids think cause they get a good score on an INCREDIBLY easy test that hey are the best thing out there.

Trust me, I'm only 19 and I've experienced that.. crazy truck driver.. ran me off the road when I was on my L's but I recovered due to what my father taught me.. I saw him later that day and he was suprised I was still alive.

I believe there should be compulsary a defensive driving course for people who get their P's.
Old 23-07-2005, 12:56 PM   #39
ea007

if the govt actually invested all the revenue from speed cameras and fine into driver ed for all ages(start kids early in yr 7 teaching them all the basics and road rules.) and actually invest some money into roads and real blackspots. Also if coucils are so against hoon gatherings on main roads give them somewhere to go where they wont be harrassed. have burnout comps where safety can be controlled and enforce harsher penalties in areas where there are areas to do it off the road in a controlled environment and help clubs promote off street racing

Last edited by ea007; 23-07-2005 at 12:59 PM. Reason: forgot to add
ea007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #40
niko
likes falcon's

ey DOC, its good and all, aami and stuff like that offer some driving courses to lower premiums but only apply if u have FULL COMP, why bother on cheaper cars, especially eseries. u just cant win
Old 23-07-2005, 01:04 PM   #41
niko
likes falcon's

and also on this hoon plate, i know lotsa ppl off there p's that are lead foots does it apply to everyone?

practically everyone thats got a turbo car thats NOT diesel should get a h stamped on there body
Old 23-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #42
KELDO_XR8

MR VKEXEC, you are very lucky and obviously had a good teacher, however not everyone has that training. What you had should be made compulsory for all new drivers. During the driving lessons i paid for (as opposed to just driving with the old girl) not once did they talk about emergency maneuvering or how to avoid accidents.
Not once did it come up! accidents happen yet young drivers arent given instruction on how to avoid them. no wonder theres an over representaion in road accidents.

Young people these days accept no responsibility for their own actions, always looking to blame someone else so therefore they feel they can take risks cause someone else will take the blame. Its time young people took responsibility for their own driving future and that of thier own children. Its time young people accepted the fact that we are among the worst drivers on the road. We have been let down by a system that is supposed to make us safe drivers, yet its up to us to make a difference and push for a better system to make ourselfves safer.

Sorry to keep ranting about this, but its something im very passionate about. Young people have their whole lives ahead of us yet so many are tragically cut short.
Old 23-07-2005, 03:22 PM   #43
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

After hearing about this hoon plate idea i gathered some other peoples ideas about the subject, n most holden owners i talked to said they would probably wear them as a badge of honour to their mates rather than a arning sign, this goes for ricer owners as well

PS sorry if this has been posted before, i didnt read the whole thread
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2005, 06:01 PM   #44
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
MR VKEXEC, you are very lucky and obviously had a good teacher, however not everyone has that training. What you had should be made compulsory for all new drivers. During the driving lessons i paid for (as opposed to just driving with the old girl) not once did they talk about emergency maneuvering or how to avoid accidents.
Not once did it come up! accidents happen yet young drivers arent given instruction on how to avoid them. no wonder theres an over representaion in road accidents.

Young people these days accept no responsibility for their own actions, always looking to blame someone else so therefore they feel they can take risks cause someone else will take the blame. Its time young people took responsibility for their own driving future and that of thier own children. Its time young people accepted the fact that we are among the worst drivers on the road. We have been let down by a system that is supposed to make us safe drivers, yet its up to us to make a difference and push for a better system to make ourselfves safer.

Sorry to keep ranting about this, but its something im very passionate about. Young people have their whole lives ahead of us yet so many are tragically cut short.

You seem to be convinced thats its young people just trying to blame someone else for their own mistakes.

I think youll find that its people of all ages who do that. And dont forget the government, even though they teach new drivers practically nothing about driving they are keen to blame motorists for all accidents and road problems.

I agree with what youre saying just not totally with who its directed against
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2005, 06:28 PM   #45
buickman
buickman

What a stupid idea to make them wear H plates.
The only way to really hurt repeat offenders is take the car of them and that could be thier mums or dads car if found driving stupidly on a regular basis with that car . Then take them out to sims metal & crush the car in front of them on top of removal of license & severe fines.
To be caught more than 2 times hooning around dangerously in amongst crowds you got be a goose.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2005, 01:24 PM   #46
KELDO_XR8

Oh by no means am i saying its just young people. Its people from all ages that dont accept responsibility for their actions, what i was sayin was that its about time young drivers took responsibility for the overwhelming statistics that show we are over represented in our age group in traffic accidents.

We are the most vulnerable road users, largley due to lack of proper training. Its about time we stoped waiting arround for the government to change things, they're just going to slap restrictions on what we can drive. that way they look like their doing something, but it doesnt cost them any money.

If young people actually want to change those statistics, its time we took responsibility and actally did something about it.
Keldo
Old 27-07-2005, 03:15 AM   #47
argonEL
Cruisin' When-ever I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75eski2L
if the govt actually invested all the revenue from speed cameras and fine into driver ed for all ages(start kids early in yr 7 teaching them all the basics and road rules.) and actually invest some money into roads and real blackspots. Also if coucils are so against hoon gatherings on main roads give them somewhere to go where they wont be harrassed. have burnout comps where safety can be controlled and enforce harsher penalties in areas where there are areas to do it off the road in a controlled environment and help clubs promote off street racing
I completely agree with you...

Here in Perth we have sweet F..k all in the way of facilities and events to allow hoons to be able to get it all out in a safe place. If there we places and times for it I think that it would make a difference to what is happening.

Money going into blackspots is also a really good idea...

More mods to come!

Ex 97 EL Futura, 04 XR6 and 07 XR8 Owner.
argonEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 08:58 AM   #48
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Having incentives for doing an advanced driver course is a great idea!

I intend on doing one as soon as I get my car anyway, but this is a good concept.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 10:32 AM   #49
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonEL
I completely agree with you...

Here in Perth we have sweet F..k all in the way of facilities and events to allow hoons to be able to get it all out in a safe place. If there we places and times for it I think that it would make a difference to what is happening.

Money going into blackspots is also a really good idea...
yea for sure, totally agree, also something else to add to that is that they should make these places cheaper for us to go to, i would be at race tracks and skid pans every weekend if it wasn't so expensive, you also have to remember its not just this generation that are full of hoons, back in my old girls day most of the cars they drove were V8's, mums first car was a LX torana hatch V8, my dads was a XA gt coupe, and how many of you older guys can say when they first got their p's they didn't hoon around :hihi:

driver training would be a good idea, but i doubt the government would fund it.

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 06:38 PM   #50
nang3

I swear the govt is using the word "Hoon" as a scapegoat - dont know about you guys but the number of accidents i drive past that are purely stupid accidents caused by gawking etc hugely outnumbers the Hoon related ones i see..
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2005, 11:48 PM   #51
kaytonk
Moopheus?

Quote:

Why not go the other way, im not sure how the H plates will work, but if they are a mandatory thing like L plates, they could pay higher insurance/rego
Old 01-08-2005, 12:27 AM   #52
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

Quote:
Why not go the other way, im not sure how the H plates will work, but if they are a mandatory thing like L plates, they could pay higher insurance/rego
Uhh they do pay higher insurance (hoon car, hoon age, hoon history), or do you mean as a result of these plates? Often they're hoons because they can afford to be...

Education and facilities seem to be the common consensus, all we need now is the government to listen.
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 12:39 AM   #53
niko
likes falcon's

next there will be [W] wog and [A] asian and [B] bogan plates
Old 01-08-2005, 12:59 AM   #54
lizardmech

Plates in general are the one of the most stupid things arround, arn't the police supposed to treat every road user the same? Most people are not patient with L platers any way and the NSW speed restrictions on their P platers are a joke, if anything they put the lives of new drivers at risk as they have to try to drive and merge on freeways 10-20km/h slower than the surrounding traffic. The only people they help are idiot journalists who are to stupid to put together a proper story and a group of whining citizens whos favourite past time is to attack various minority groups. Only L plates should exist and they seem to be pointless most of the time anyway.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 01:57 AM   #55
kaytonk
Moopheus?

lmao, i want bogan plates, maybe i should grow a mullet, nah. yeah i meant as a penalty
Old 01-08-2005, 02:01 AM   #56
kaytonk
Moopheus?

I would rather non hoons, and in paticular people who undertake driver training to be rewarded, buy in reality, goverment will take the cheapest option, and so will insurance companies, given the choice between lowering premiums for good drivers, or raising premiums for hoon drivers, they would most likely take the option that makes them more money. Do insurance companies charge you higher premiums if you get speeding tickets, or just if you have an accident? if they already charge more for speeding etc offences, than its not really a major change, it just makes it more standardised

Last edited by kaytonk; 01-08-2005 at 02:07 AM. Reason: what is a hoom? my bad
kaytonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 05:28 AM   #57
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
ey DOC, its good and all, aami and stuff like that offer some driving courses to lower premiums but only apply if u have FULL COMP, why bother on cheaper cars, especially eseries. u just cant win
If you took a driving course and one day it helped you out of a tight spot you would be on a winner, cars can be replaced but not people, I would like to think there would be other additional incentives other than just insurance as well.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:50 PM   #58
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytonk
I would rather non hoons, and in paticular people who undertake driver training to be rewarded, buy in reality, goverment will take the cheapest option, and so will insurance companies, given the choice between lowering premiums for good drivers, or raising premiums for hoon drivers, they would most likely take the option that makes them more money. Do insurance companies charge you higher premiums if you get speeding tickets, or just if you have an accident? if they already charge more for speeding etc offences, than its not really a major change, it just makes it more standardised
AAMI stopped keeping a record of everyone with speeding fines and now only records license suspensions, apparently the database became so big it became to much of a headache and cost to run it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 01:09 PM   #59
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are they introducing a system somewhere that rewards drivers with more points for good driving. I think you get an additional point a year up to an extra 3 or 4 but i cant remember if you have no fines.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #60
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XF == Lost my liscence
AU == Not a single offence

I think the hoon problem just lies in the "Hoons" appreciation and respect for their own saftey, their vehicle and other road users.

People that are uncapable of displaying the above mentioned properties shouldn't be on the road. Unless of course that road is a 10km straight stretch of South Coast Hwy near Denmark on the south coast of WA
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post